Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2017, 13:00   #376
Team-BHP Support

re: The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Things however are changing for good

They are willing to take risks now.
Agreed, specially on the above part. Not only for engines (Boosterjet, 1.6 DDiS, upcoming 1.5 DDiS etc) but on the safety aspect as well. With the DZire getting airbags standard and also with such high end features as LED lighting, Swift might get the same standards as well - although not sure how they will position it along with the Baleno, which is supposed to be the more premium of the two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
I guess your sarcasm is for masking the dislike you have for Maruti.
Not at all! It was only at that particular statement of yours that I have highlighted above. Nothing more!

I have owned Maruti Suzuki vehicles in the past, and my favourite upgrade option currently available in the market is the SCross 1.6 (Provided it retains the value proposition post facelift).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
You think the new Generation Dzire is the same as New Swift with a boot. Well, there is a reason the Swift Moniker was dropped from Dzire and it came and of the Hatchback.
As far I know, the moniker has been dropped to give a standalone positioning to the DZire. This echoes with the design attempt as well, with a lot better integration of the boot this time, starting from the design of the A pillar onwards. But the basic underlying design and mechanicals is still all the same upcoming Swift.

Furthermore, this also echoes the general market trend. Remember, Ford initially had Figo Aspire mentioned which was later corrected as Aspire. Other brands like Hyundai (Xcent), VW (Ameo), TATA (Tigor, Zest) have all been trying hard to give seperate brand identity to their compact sedans as well, which are otherwise knows as hatchbacks with an afterthought boot.

The trend of highlighting the compact sedans seperate from their hatchbacks is also seen in this delayed launch strategy. The same has been followed by Ford (Aspire before Figo) as well.

Incase you are aware of the 'reason' why the DZire name was dropped and why it is not a Swift sedan anymore, kindly do share your knowledge. However, have a look at the below before you start -

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-dashboard.jpg

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-swift-dzire.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 14:53   #377
Senior - BHPian

The 2017 Euro Swift scored just 3 stars in NCAP tests.

http://www.news18.com/news/auto/2017...g-1420325.html

6 airbags = 3 stars rating so 2 airbags in India version = what 1 star rating? Anyways pardon me I am just making small talk or whatever that means.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 4th July 2017 at 15:06.
Old 4th July 2017, 15:48   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Autocar India have come out with an exclusive drive of the new Swift.
According to Hormazd, the steering feel of a 'SWIFT' is no more present . That leaves only the k10, Ignis & S-Cross to be classified as fun to drive from the Maruti stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Nopes I don't. This part to be exact-
And is nothing more than the new Swift, with a sedan'ish boot as earlier.
No offence & I beg to differ in this regard. The frontal view is based on the Swift. But, I have read somewhere that the new Dzire is more of a Baleno sedan than the new Swift, although all are based on the Baleno platform.

If you closely look(sideways) at the A pillar of the Dzire, it has more rake angle than the new Swift and is comparable to that of Baleno. Whereas the Ameo(Polo), Aspire(Figo), Xcent(Grand i10) shared the same frontal dimensions from the front till the B-pillar as their hatchback siblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
So the new Swift platform is already here. Just that they are giving a head start to the DZire instead of Swift, since they have old Swift + new (Swift) DZire + Baleno all bringing in the numbers.
+1. Is it due to the additional profit on the Compact sedans over the hatchback ? Revisited your own thread -

Link

Customers are now spoilt for choice. All the cars are very close to each other w.r.t to tech specs, features and pricing as well. But, I am pretty sure MSIL honchos are digging to excavate the differentiating factors.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 4th July 2017 at 15:50.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 16:59   #379
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
No offence & I beg to differ in this regard. The frontal view is based on the Swift. But, I have read somewhere that the new Dzire is more of a Baleno sedan than the new Swift, although all are based on the Baleno platform.
When the DZire was revealed, some members did suggest that it could be Baleno based, but it's not. That theory was only based on the shape of the A pillar.

All three are based on their new Heartect platform. However -

1. Both the Swift and DZire share a wheelbase of 2450mm whereas Baleno has an extended wheelbase of 2520mm. This is a major giveaway.

2. New Swift is 3840mm long, whereas Baleno is 3995mm long. There is only 5mm additional length to play with, and they couldnt have managed a good boot section.

3. Both the new Swift and DZire have identical width of 1735mm. Baleno is visibly wider at 1745mm.

4. Most panels are shared with the new Swift. Not Baleno. The front charecter bulge running from top of headlamps till the middle of front door. The rear wheel charecter bulge from middle of rear door onwards, are all same in both doors. Bonnet is same, headlamp is same. Etc.

5. Interior is shared with Swift, except beige treatment and few minor changes.

Quote:
If you closely look(sideways) at the A pillar of the Dzire, it has more rake angle than the new Swift and is comparable to that of Baleno. Whereas the Ameo(Polo), Aspire(Figo), Xcent(Grand i10) shared the same frontal dimensions from the front till the B-pillar as their hatchback siblings.
Change in the A pillar was the only way they could get a proportional design out of that car, as the Swift has a more distinct shape as compared to the other options you've qouted.

Still require way less changes than converting a Baleno. It's just a wider and larger car, though on the same platform.

Quote:
+1. Is it due to the additional profit on the Compact sedans over the hatchback ? Revisited your own thread -
Surely. DZire has many commercial advantages over Swift. Not only that it sells more, but also has fat profit margin compared to Swift and there is no internal competition, like Swift would face with Baleno.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 17:53   #380
Senior - BHPian

Any idea on how much will be the GC for new Swift? The brochure for new DZIRE shows it as 163mm. May be enough for a sedan. Swift should have it more than that for sure. 163mm is definitely not good for Indian cities. Once loaded with people every speed breaker will mark its identity on the car's underneath chassis.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:28   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki SWIFT patent drawings seen in China, launching soon, India launch in 2018.

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-.jpg

Source- autohome
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 11:15   #382
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
According to Hormazd, the steering feel of a 'SWIFT' is no more present . That leaves only the k10, Ignis & S-Cross to be classified as fun to drive from the Maruti stable.
If this is indeed true, then it's rather unfortunate.

I've always adored the Swift for its playfulness and cheeky character. It's what set it apart from the rest of the hatchbacks in the market. But if Maruti Suzuki has in fact sapped this from the new generation, the Swift will lose its appeal and desirability, in my opinion.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 15:34   #383
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone know what kind of automatics the petrol swift would come with (if at all it does)? I am praying it'll not have an AMT but given that they've AMT'd the Dezire I'm not very hopeful. Internationally they seem to be CVT equipped like the Baleno.

EDIT: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-403811.aspx/0

This Dec 2016 report seems to suggest A/Ts with paddle shifts for both the automatics. Clap clap if that's true although I am extremely skeptical of a diesel AT with paddles.

Last edited by Axe77 : 5th July 2017 at 15:46.
Old 6th July 2017, 15:54   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Autocar India have come out with an exclusive drive of the new Swift. It is supposed to be launched early next year. It's based on the same platform as Dzire and carries over most of the parts. The interior especially is very similar to Dzire and the only funky bit is the instrument cluster.

https://Youtu.be/xqa1r-hCe9Q
This Autocar review mentions that third generation Swift may not be as much "Driver's car" as second generation Swift i.e. current swift. That does mean a lot to me. If the car does not involve driver it may not be a real fun. Some of the comparison reviews between i20 and current swift also mention the same about current swift's driveability. Although the third gen swift has huge benefits over current one, involvement matter a lot for me
Am thinking to buy a Swift soon. Was zeroing on new swift but this review has again put me in a doubt.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 12:59   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

SWIFT SPORT to arrive in September 2017 powered by the 1.4l boosterjet engine!

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-2017su04011.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 00:19   #386
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
SWIFT SPORT to arrive in September 2017 powered by the 1.4l boosterjet engine!

Attachment 1654798

Link

Do you mean in India or globally? Any idea if this is manual or automatic? Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 13:31   #387
BHPian

I have a bad feeling they will add gaudy chrome border around the grill in the Indian edition. Would totally kill the retro classy looks of the car.
Old 11th July 2017, 15:16   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
This Autocar review mentions that third generation Swift may not be as much "Driver's car" as second generation Swift i.e. current swift. That does mean a lot to me. If the car does not involve driver it may not be a real fun. Some of the comparison reviews between i20 and current swift also mention the same about current swift's driveability. Although the third gen swift has huge benefits over current one, involvement matter a lot for me
Am thinking to buy a Swift soon. Was zeroing on new swift but this review has again put me in a doubt.
This was a shocker to me as well. I went through that Autocar video review thrice to make sure what he said in that. That is a total disappointment. The point of buying a Swift is because of its fun to drive factor. A more grown up version is available in the name of Baleno. I don't know why Suzuki did that. Thankfully we still have an option to buy the previous generation.
-------------------------
Even Autocar UK mentions the same:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/suzuki/swift/ride

" But on those four respects, the new Swift is a lot closer to the dynamic standards of the average supermini than the previous one was. "

Verdict:

Good: Spunky Boosterjet delivery, Mild hybrid economy gains and Still great value for money

Bad: New look is only adequate, Handling is less stellar now and Cut-rate cabin materials

----------------------------

That said, how much difference between the previous generation Swift and current generation Dzire in terms of steering feel ?

Last edited by amvj : 11th July 2017 at 15:17. Reason: spacing
Old 12th July 2017, 10:36   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki launches the Full Hybrid version of SWIFT for the Japanese market. International ( India?) launch to follow. Achieve 32.0 km/l fuel economy( in the JC08 mode)
Prices are at 1668600 -1949400 Yen. ( ~ INR 9.5-11 lakhs)

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-07.jpg
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-23.jpg
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-4.jpg

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-capture.jpg

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-1.jpg

Quote:
Suzuki’s unique hybrid system installed on the new versions of Swift HYBRID SG and Swift HYBRID SL combines a Motor Generator Unit (MGU) to an Auto Gear Shift (AGS). MGU is a compact driving motor that instantly boasts a big amount of energy, while AGS is a lightweight, compact, and efficient transmission. In addition to driving assist with its motor function, the system automatically stops the engine and switches to EV driving when the vehicle is running at a constant speed or during creeping.

The system offers two driving modes to let the driver select between brisk driving, and driving with priority on fuel efficiency by increasing the frequency of EV driving. While keeping the excellent handling of the Swift, it combines high fuel efficiency of 32.0km/L* and direct drive feel thanks to AGS and MGU.

The vehicle weight is kept within 1,000kg, and it qualifies for eco-car tax breaks in Japan.

Swift HYBRID SL variant is equipped with paddle shift which lets the driver enjoy quick acceleration feel and sporty shift feel. Plus, it comes with standard equipment of advanced safety features including the Dual Sensor Brake Support (DSBS) collision-mitigating system that features a monocular camera and laser sensor to detect pedestrians and vehicles ahead, as well as SRS curtain airbags and front seat SRS side airbags.

Source:Suzuki

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th July 2017 at 10:47.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 10:53   #390
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Suzuki launches the Full Hybrid version of SWIFT for the Japanese market. International ( India?) launch to follow. Achieve 32.0 km/l fuel economy( in the JC08 mode)
Prices are at 1668600 -1949400 Yen. ( ~ INR 9.5-11 lakhs)
It'll be a coup if they bring this to India but I doubt they ever will.

1) Price: 9.5-11 lakhs is just the literal conversion to INR. In reality, it'll be much higher. This means, it enters the Ciaz, Brezza, Baleno, SCross territory

We are after all, more car per car kinda people

2) The need: an extension of the price. A hybrid on a Camry or an Accord attracts a very niche segment, one that is conscious about wanting a full hybrid. There'll be minuscule population of such people in the sub 15 lakhs category. As the e20 shows.

Unless the Govt. awards terrific subsidy for it being the full hybrid, this is a non-starter.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks