Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2018, 16:49   #556
BANNED

re: The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
The idea to move the rear door handle to the C pillar is horrendous. The rear door looks totally bare now. The front fascia which kind of suits the DZire looks out of place on the Swift. All in all, the car does not look sporty at all.
Agree.

I am trying to "normalise" Swift. Suzuki should not go for too much quirk on the door handles, C-pillar and swooping body.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-2018marutisuzukiswiftofficialimageside_1.jpg  

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-2018marutisuzukiswiftofficialimageside_2_1.jpg  

romeomidhun is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 17:13   #557
BHPian

Great Scoop I guess the absence of chrome will polarise opinions. Red is one of the the favorite colors of BHpians , would love to see the car in other colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farooq817 View Post
Also, the integration of the rear windshield water spray is not good. The Baleno has it much better integrated.
Agree. The pictures suggests that the front ones are neatly hidden though.
Old 12th January 2018, 17:13   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
I might be in minority, but I really don't like this new design at all! Looks completely out of place to me. The front end looks ugly, front side profile looks like the old gen, front back profile looks picked out of the Fabia, BEAT type door handles don't look well integrated into the design.
The current Swift has a classic design, IMO they should've retained the design and added improvements to the engine, interiors, etc.
and what's with the skinny tyres? look horrible!
You are not alone.
I never liked the new gen Swift design, ever since the pics began to appear last year.
The car seems to have lost its character and gives a confused appearanace at the rear-end.
The previous gen Swift design was far more classy and well-rounded in looks.

I hate the new Dzire's front facia too for that matter, and even now the looks have not started to grow upon me.

But gradually all of us will get acquainted with this appearance, because we are going to see thousands of them on the road in the coming months.

In terms of build-quality & safety too, I don't see any reason to like this new model more, over the previous one considering the severe weight reduction exercise that Suzuki has carried out in this new model, just like the Dzire.

MSIL fans would never agree with me and they would start the usual argument about crumple zones working, and how the new HEARTECT platform is lighter and at the same time, more safer.

But the different pics and articles about crushed and totaled Balenos and Dzires that we see regularly on whatsapp and other media tell a different story.

Of course, there are other cars too involved in such accidents.
But the most scary and disturbing images of cars crushed like tin cans are usually of Maruti's.

And I don't buy any theory of crumple-zones, or lighter-yet safer structure arguments by hardcore MSIL followers.
Because to me, seeing is believing.
I believe or form a concept about something based on what I see, hear or experience, and not on the basis of some technical jargon spewed out by a car company on their website.

Every other manufacturer too implement these so called technologies like crumple zones etc, without compromising on build quality and weight-reduction.

Just saw a picture of a Vento sandwiched between 2 trucks in the TBhp accident thread yesterday.The car took the hit really well, and none were injured.
Perfect example of how crumple zones work without deforming the basic structure and crumpling the whole car itself.

But who cares? As long as we buyers give priority to fuel-efficiency, service network and resale value over safety, nothing will change.
On top of that, the widespread herd-mentality in our country makes matters more difficult.

Again, let me make it clear-I don't want to start a new argument with MSIL fans here.
Just shared my viewpoints about the car, and nothing more. Peace.

N.B- May be in 2022 or so, when Maruti launches the even more odd-looking next generation swift, you and me would start loving this new-gen swift, which would appear far better in comparison, then.
VinodDevil81 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 18:27   #559
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Suzuki should not go for too much quirk on the door handles, C-pillar and swooping body.
+1 to that and if one observes carefully, the car looks lengthy like train in the picture. The old one, though not spacious, is definitely better looking.

lets see it this way :

First generation:good looking smart hatch, requiring larger swept back headlights but overall a great design.

Second generation: spoiled the boot lid and made the bumper high to make it look hot. Overall it's good front, spoilt rear and not to forget the thin glass.

Second generation minor tweaks:push start, new alloys.
Good, nothing spoilt.

Third generation:front is great, rear is a overdone liva and interiors of Indian version will surely be good than second generation.
Lets hope for healthy upgrade.
Old 12th January 2018, 18:44   #560
BHPian

With the Dzire, Baleno, and now Swift, I feel half of the design appeal goes for a toss with the normal headlamps.

The projector + DRL setups look hot, and give a totally mean look to the face, while the standard setup looks way too tame.
Attached Images

ts1506 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 19:30   #561
Senior - BHPian

I am going against the tide here. I really did NOT like the new design. The semi floating roof feels incomplete and half baked thought. Current Swift is really good looking IMHO. I think Baleno looks much better than the new Swift.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 21:50   #562
BHPian

Looks really hot in red! Booked swift Vxi white and I'm sure it'll be a blockbuster like it's sibling dzire and big brother baleno. Looking forward to the launch and live event.
Old 13th January 2018, 08:54   #563
Distinguished - BHPian

This is from an ex-MSIL loyalist (8 Marutis owned so far). I don't like the new Swift / Dzire. It has nothing to do with looks, but the fundamental issue with all Marutis (except Scross) - extremely light build quality.

May be my opinion wouldn't have changed if I hadn't joined Team-BHP in 2015. But now, to anyone who asks me to suggest a entry level / B-segment hatch / C2-segment car, my choices are few and far in-between. Tata Tiago / VW Polo / Skoda Rapid or VW Vento. I have heard multiple examples of the above well built cars saving occupants on rather bad crashes.

I still own three tin cans (Celerio, Ciaz & Kwid) and pray no one crashes into me on road .

Sorry for the off-topic rant. But my point is, Maruti being the market leader, should take responsibility to improve on build quality as much as they care to improve on looks and features.

Until that day, no more MSIL for me or for my friends!

Last edited by Aditya : 15th January 2018 at 08:14. Reason: Typos
PrasannaDhana is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 09:49   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Sorry for the off-topic rant. But my point is, Maruti being the market leader, should take responsibility to improve on build quality as much as they care to improve on looks and features.

Until that day, no more MSIL for me or for my friends!
Absolutely spot on.

I suggest my relatives and friends the same. However, for some reason they are stupidly inclined for looks, FE, speed totally overlooking SAFETY. Safety for them is Airbags.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th January 2018 at 08:14. Reason: Quoted text edited
Jr Godzilla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 14:43   #565
BHPian

Re: Scoop: 3rd gen Maruti Suzuki Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Thanks to a friend who prefers to remain anonymous. Note the NEXA style of Badging. I guess eventually all MSIL products will follow this theme.
Fabulous scoop indeed!

Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of the previous generation swift as I felt the Headlamps and Tail-lamps to be absolutely weird. But, I'm thoroughly impressed with this new Swift. If Maruti gets the pricing and features right, I'm sure we would be seeing the graves of the competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Does that rear wheel house a disc brake as well?? If yes, I think I'm already seeing this car perform well in the future. What seems puzzling though, is the fact that the rear wheel discs are much larger than the front ones. Am I the only one who noticed this?

What could be the reason for it? Anyone?
Old 13th January 2018, 14:54   #566
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop: 3rd gen Maruti Suzuki Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthi.stark View Post
Does that rear wheel house a disc brake as well??
Clearly those are drum brakes at the rear.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 01:03   #567
Senior - BHPian

This new Swift looks like it was spawned in a quick encounter between a Chevy Beat and a Datsun Go in a dark alleyway on a rainy, slippery night. I was so looking forward to this car and we get the shabby version while Thailand gets the upmarket version with the classy interior. I'm now praying that VW doesn't get disgusted with the indian car market and exits like Chevy and brings in the new Polo. I'm reconciled to paying more for the all new Polo rather than drive down the road in this new Swift.

Last edited by nickatnite : 15th January 2018 at 01:14.
nickatnite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 03:00   #568

I like the new look, especially the grille. Looks very Aston Martin ish inspired somewhere. I don't know if this is just me that feels so but, I'm sure some of you guys must've spotted design elements that dont really jive. For example, the beat type door levers just don't seem to fit in well! Another thing that I noticed are the roof lines too. If you look at the rest of the car, it's got nice rounded curves and lines that flow smooth but, the roof is rather square and angled from the old swift. I'm sure there are reasons for safety, the cost of redesign, the cost of retooling etc., but the roof lines sure make it look very boxy. I hope they will do something about that down the line.
Old 15th January 2018, 10:52   #569
Distinguished - BHPian

All New Swift launching in Thailand on 8th Feb.

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-thai.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 09:40   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
Nexa is primarily a sales outlet. You can get the car bought from Nexa serviced at any Maruti service centers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I thought Nexa cars need to go to Nexa authorised service stations only?

As of now, Nexa is also coming up with priority service outlets. We do have *3 in our state, to the best of my information.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed