Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2018, 11:36   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!

Reverse camera, ahoy! Just where Leoshashi predicted it will be.

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-c1.jpg

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-c2.jpg

A very exhaustive yet balanced review by Motoroids:

RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 14:40   #722
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
AutoCar India puts out the New Swift's acceleration figures!
I was expecting Swift to be faster than Baleno. Autocar has got better figures for Baleno. What is the catch? I suspect the driver
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 15:20   #723
BHPian

The auto car figures has left me quite confused as well. The swift is supposed to be the faster car.

On another note, between the petrol and the diesel, which will be the pick for performance? I'm talking the below aspects,

1. Top speed
2. 0-160 time
3. Fun to drive

I know the diesel performs good in in-gear acceleration but I don't see a clear winner in overall performance.
Old 21st January 2018, 17:30   #724
BHPian

Can't understand what performance and enthusiast stuff people are discussing about. The Swift has always had mediocre engines and hardly any equipment to brag about (till now). For Maruti, it's probably just another model for their Alto and Wagon R customers to upgrade to.

Though we may have our opinions, the car surely meets the majority MSIL buyer's criterion. Once a Maruti sales guy was trying to brag about the V shaped design theme on the Wagon R to me; sounded funny to me, but not to a middle aged guy and his first time car buying family who were along with us. And that's where the sales comes in the end.

I like its design and the Z+ specs, it surely would be a reliable, peppy runabout, and that's what it's intended to be.

If only the Abarth Punto could garner such a buzz...

Last edited by GTO : 22nd January 2018 at 23:05. Reason: Poorly typed post
anand.shankar is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 21st January 2018, 18:00   #725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
the Swift has always had mediocre engines
Far from mediocre, Swift had/has engines that keep people happy and in the bargain they have sold 1.7 million (Swift's) in India alone since 2005!! Mind you it's the same MJD (does duty in the Swift diesel) as in the FIAT cars!

Last edited by GTO : 22nd January 2018 at 23:07. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Durango Dude is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 18:19   #726
Senior - BHPian

Like both the New Swift & Baleno ?, Here is a solution for those. Who should buy what!

Both the Swift and Baleno are relatively new hatchbacks in the B-Segment. And this has potential for confusion among buyers.

On a tight budget? 2018 Swift!
Prices haven’t been announced but it’s clear that the Swift (A non-NEXA car) will sit well below the Dzire in terms of price and positioning. This also means that it’ll be priced much lower than the Baleno premium hatchback. In other words, the 2018 Swift will be perfect for those on a tight budget.

Want space? Baleno
The Baleno, with a roomier back seat, makes a solid case for itself. If offers more space, and for people who want a more comfortable car at a slightly higher price, the Baleno scores over the 2018 Swift, which is much more compact and biased towards the driver and front passenger.

Want something totally fresh? 2018 Swift!
The 2018 Swift is totally fresh, and is something that’ll turn heads at least for a year more. The Baleno on the other hand, has been around for a couple of years. If you’re novelty value, it’s the 2018 Swift all the way.

Want affordable convenience? Swift Petrol AMT
For the first time in 3 generations of the Swift, Maruti has opted for a cost-effective and fuel efficient AMT on the new car. The Swift 1.2 Petrol AMT will be a lot more cheaper than the Baleno CVT, in terms of pricing. So, if you want a peppy, affordable hatchback that’s very convenient for city driving, the Swift Petrol AMT is what you need.

Want convenience with refinement? Baleno CVT!
AMTs are not the most refined of automatics. In terms of sheer refinement, nothing compares with a CVT automatic. The Baleno CVT is what you should drive home.

Want a diesel automatic? Swift Diesel AMT
The new Swift does have a crucial advantage over the Baleno – a diesel automatic option. This combination marries convenience and affordability with the frugalness of diesel. With this variant, you can have your cake, and eat it too.

Want a fun-to-drive hatchback? Swift 1.2 Petrol MT
The Swift Petrol is about 80 kilograms lighter than the outgoing variant, and the weight saving makes a big difference in terms of performance. The car accelerates faster than the outgoing model and the 1.2 liter petrol engine loves to rev to the moon. Add a balanced chassis, slick gearbox and taut suspension to the equation, and what you get is a totally involving car – the Swift 1.2 MT.

Can spend a bit more for fun? Baleno 1.0 RS
If you can stretch your budget, there’s a much faster Maruti hatchback available – the Baleno 1.0 RS. With 101 Bhp-150 Nm on tap. The motor gives the Baleno RS the ability to do the 0-100 Kph sprint in just about 10 seconds.

I was waiting for this New Swift, now will be definitely checking it out post launch and will do back to back drives along with Baleno. Same platform, two different animals all together. Will definitely bring one which impreses me better.

Source

Last edited by GTO : 22nd January 2018 at 23:14. Reason: Baleno RS = 150 Nm, not 170
CarguyNish is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 21:32   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Far from mediocre, Swift had/has engines that keep people happy and in the bargain they have sold 1.7 million (Swift's) in India alone since 2005!! Mind you it's the same MJD (does duty in the Swift diesel) as in the FIAT cars!
Altos and Splendors sell far greater numbers than that. There is nothing in a stock K12 Swift even for a rookie enthusiast. The original 1.3 M13A did have some punch though. The diesel Swift is still mediocre, 75 HP MJD Punto is a slouch. I have one, my brother-in-law has a Swift Petrol. That's my opinion BTW - my BIL thinks it goes like a Mustang, that's his opinion.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd January 2018 at 23:16. Reason: Poorly typed post
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 21:47   #728
BHPian

Still no word on Swift RS 1.4L boosterjet ?
To me that is the only "new" factor, rest its same old wine in new bottle !
Turbo Head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 21:55   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
How will Maruti give the Swift a 1.4 Boosterjet when even the Baleno has just a 1.0 engine? I feel there will be no Swift Sport (or RS) models. Just wait till the numbers are out, Maruti will find it difficult to satiate the demand for the regular Swift.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd January 2018 at 23:17. Reason: typo
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 07:35   #730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
How will Maruti give the Swift a 1.4 Boosterjet when even the Baleno has just a 1.0 engine? .
Swift Sport will be a halo product from Nexa. The styling differentiates it from the regular Swift. So pricing it above Baleno will not be an issue.

CarToq has the fuel efficiency figures for 2018 SWIFT.Diesel becomes the most fuel efficient car in India (along with Dzire)

Petrol - 22 km/L
Diesel - 28. 4 km/L

Quote:
The new Swift is more efficient too. ARAI (automotive research association of India) figures stand at 22 kmpl for the petrol and 28.4 kmpl for the diesel option – this makes it the most fuel efficient car in India (along with the Dzire)

Some misses
even in the Z+ variant:

- does not offer a front arm rest or rear air-con vents
- no speed sensitive auto door locking mechanism
- owners will surely miss the AGS / AMT option in the top-end ZXI+ / ZDI+ versions

Link

Last edited by GTO : 22nd January 2018 at 23:17. Reason: Fixing source link, please open the exact link and paste it, current ones were redirecting to home page.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 09:11   #731
BHPian

Quote:
no speed sensitive auto door locking mechanism
Brochure says its available from Vxi/Vdi onwards

Last edited by Paleo : 22nd January 2018 at 09:12. Reason: to highlight quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 09:31   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
If the BoosterJet comes (and I am one of those fervently hoping that it does, this time around) it will be launched end of this year or early next year. At least thats what most auto magazines are predicting. Hence, Maruti is likely to be tight lipped about it for a few more months to come.
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:23   #733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ksrs View Post
Been driving the new Dzire for 3 months now. Never once have I scraped the bottom even when fully loaded with luggage in the boot and going over some pretty bad speed breakers. Yes big potholes might cause problems, but I just haven't come across one and so can't comment on that.
I happen to do TD for Ignis MT petrol for which Maruti claims GC of 180mm* unladen. Similar figures are 163mm* for Swift. Considering this fact and same engine in both these cars will Ignis not be a better choice? Again ARAI mileage for Swift seems to be 22 and for Ignis it is 20 (will not be different for city). I am looking a car purely for city drive, a small yet powerful engine to swiftly move around (please do not take swiftly linked with Swift ). More GC is better as always.
Another point to make, I am driving Santro for city which has really set my bar very high on low end drivebality in city. It has very solid performance with 4 cyl engine. I hope this K12 engine matches that part, being more powerful than this 1.1 liter engine of Santro.
Any opinions between Ignis and Swift.... (may be bit early for Swift until real hands on)
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:07   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Another point to make, I am driving Santro for city which has really set my bar very high on low end drivebality in city. It has very solid performance with 4 cyl engine. I hope this K12 engine matches that part, being more powerful than this 1.1 liter engine of Santro.
Any opinions between Ignis and Swift.... (may be bit early for Swift until real hands on)
The 1.2 L K Series is not the engine for low end drivability and comparing it to the Santros and Wagon R 1.1 engines of yore may be a misplaced exercise. I have been driving the Swift 1.2 for 6 years now and before that have driven the family Wagon R extensively. I can tell you without hesitation that the older engines were more attuned to drivability and lower end torque, while new age naturally aspirated engines including the K12 are tuned for better efficiency rather than lower end drivability. That said, the K12 is an absolutely wonderful engine, and from about 1500 RPM onwards, there is enough grunt for city drives and out on the highway, she will also rev strongly and show you a lovely top end as well.

I hear though that the new car is considerably lighter and therefore the improved power to weight ratio will certainly help the Swift's cause in quicker acceleration.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 22nd January 2018 at 12:15.
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:28   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Due to the compact dimensions (esp. width) and a higher seating position, Ignis is a breeze in the city traffic. Although the low end torque in the K12M might be comparatively lesser(than other 1.2L engines), it is not as horrendous as the K10B.

If interior space is a concern, then the Ignis should not be considered. I ended with a Wagon R, as I felt it had comparatively more knee room and shoulder room in the back bench. But, I miss the fun that I could have had with the Ignis in daily commutes.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 22nd January 2018 at 12:31.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed