Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2018, 23:24   #901
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!

To those considering the AMT variant of the ZXi or ZDi, have anyone tried asking the dealership you visited if some of the upgraded features from the Z_i+ variant can be retro-fitted into the non-plus Z_i variant?

When Maruti had a stall in Manyata Embassy Tech Park, MFAR building, I asked 2-3 sales folks there for the following items if it can be retro-fitted and all of them confirmed with a Positive Yes.

- LED projector headlamps.
- Diamond cut alloy wheels (of course).
- Rear camera display (separate display, not into audio infotainment unit).

The only feature they said that cannot be retro-fit is the 7" Infotainment unit from the + variant.

Anyone else who has or can check this with their dealership/ contact?
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 07:36   #902
BHPian

I got an opportunity to drive my friend's previous gen Swift Dzire AMT the other day through thick city traffic for about 4-5 kms. Until then, the only AMT that I've driven was my sister's Nano and I'm disappointed to say that the refinement of both the gearboxes felt the same to me. Every time I changed the drive mode, I felt a loud thud as though I've hit a big stone below. Initially, I thought there was something wrong but realized that this is how AMT works and that has left a sour taste in my mouth! To give it some credit, the drive was smooth and I could hardly feel the gear changes.

Now, I've almost zero knowledge about automatics as I've always been a "MT - the best" kind of a guy but I do know that AMT is not a conventional AT but more of a national/international low cost jugaad (no offence meant to the AMT fans). I will be in the market to buy an AT sometime in the future and I was hoping the Swift AGS would be all the car I need. However, looking at the ZXi pricing, its missing features and experiencing the AMT gearbox, I'm wondering if it is worth spending 8.5 big ones on a technology that I didn't like. As of now, I'm in the mindset that if it has to be an AMT, buy the Alto, else increase the budget to buy a conventional CVT/DSG.

Last edited by Porschefire : 13th February 2018 at 07:39.
Porschefire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 18:21   #903
Distinguished - BHPian

Pricelist of Swift's MGA

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-img20180213wa0086.jpg

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-img20180213wa0084.jpg

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-img20180213wa0085.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 19:13   #904
BHPian

Got a chance to TD a MT ZDI+ variant last weekend.
The car was just run for 40 kms, so just from the yard till the showroom. So it was as fresh as it can be :-)

Here are my reactions on the short test drive:
1. Its a totally refreshed Swift with some characteristics of the previous Gen.
Front is very identical to the outgoing dZire. Rear lights look really nice.
2. Build quality is decent, although still not as great as a VW or FIAT but not that bad either.
3. The drive was, as mentioned, just for few kms.
My daily workhorse is a 2016 Wagon R LXI CNG.
The quality of the interiors of the new Swift and outgoing Wagon R I feel are not very different. In fact I was expecting the interiors to be better since it's a segment above than Wagon R. Disappointed to say the least.
For example, the silver handle to open the door from inside was not that strong and I felt if opened with slightly more force may cause it to break.
4. The car feels slightly more roomier at the rear than the previous gen.
5. Could not rev the car much due to short drive, however, the engine felt quite peppy and eager to GO.

Overall, if I ever have to upgrade from my existing Wagon R, from a Maruti Stable, it will certainly not be a Swift. With a price difference of nearly 3 lakhs, I would have liked better quality interiors and not just a powerful engine amongst other features.
pankajn1702 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 19:20   #905
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
..... if it has to be an AMT, buy the Alto, else increase the budget to buy a conventional CVT/DSG.
If it has to be a B-segment Maruti autobox in the ~8L bracket, you're better off getting the Baleno Delta CVT. There's always the DSG if you're feeling adventurous, and Ford may just plonk the 6-speed TC autobox in facelift Figo/Aspire due later this year if you need more options. You won't need outright performance for the city, CVT/DSG/TC are all better than AMT and you've got a MT highway cruiser in the Fiesta anyway.

Swift AMT makes very little sense for your use case.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th February 2018 at 19:30.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 07:57   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If it has to be a B-segment Maruti autobox in the ~8L bracket, you're better off getting the Baleno Delta CVT. There's always the DSG if you're feeling adventurous, and Ford may just plonk the 6-speed TC autobox in facelift Figo/Aspire due later this year if you need more options. You won't need outright performance for the city, CVT/DSG/TC are all better than AMT and you've got a MT highway cruiser in the Fiesta anyway.

Swift AMT makes very little sense for your use case.
Thanks Chetan and I agree with you. I did not like the AMT in the Dzire I drove. But I will take a TD of the Swift just to reconfirm my opinion.
My requirements will be 60% city and 40% highway. If it were primarily for the city, I'd have settled for an Alto/WagonR but since the Fiesta is going with my parents to my native (when dad will retire this July), I would need a proper AT, to visit them atleast once a month. GT TSi is the dream but the Baleno CVT also fits in the bill. Figo TC will also be high on my radar. Let's see, will take a call by later half of this year.
Porschefire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 10:05   #907
Distinguished - BHPian

Price tracker from ACI,

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-000.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 11:44   #908
Distinguished - BHPian

The best cars vying for the 2018 WORLD URBAN CAR . Suzuki SWIFT will slog it out with VW Polo, etc.
Beats KIA' s Picanto and Stonic.

VW Polo would be my pick though

Commendable for Suzuki to be nominated once again ( last year for Ignis) in the World Urban Car award.

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-00.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th February 2018 at 11:55.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 11:51   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Commendable for Suzuki to be nominated once again ( last year for Ignis) in the World Urban Car award.
But we have "a version" of new Swift for India right? When they say world car, they might not consider our version to call it one of the best.
Old 15th February 2018, 16:11   #910
Distinguished - BHPian

The design process of the Third GEN ( India) SWIFT explained by Masao Kobori: Chief Engineer of the new Swift Development Project (and also the new Swift Sport) while launching SWIFT in Thailand.

Quote:
Suzuki's designers describe the new Swift development process that they started with the design team. Draft sketch There are five models to choose from. The team has selected only 5 models to be developed. The design team at Suzuki Design Studio in Turin, Italy, refined the design to 5. Both ABCD and E in this step. Modeler will convey the painting to a clay model size 1/3 to make the team and related people see the dimension and proportion more clearly.

Clay BC and D clay is the third design to be selected for the finalists. This is to expand the proportion of three cars to 1/1 size or real size to enhance the strength of each design to improve. Finally, although the R is chosen from the dynamic and sporty personality (from the Japanese perspective), the front design with the butt is selected from the J model before being mixed together. The C-Pillar line was raised during the first real clay model. Come back again To help Swift's chassis design is fresh under Swift's original Proportion that everyone likes and remembers.

The interior design. From the problem that. How to find the right design for the next Swift personality? Sit sketching a lot of sketches. The focus is on the "Sport Personality", "Material Touch", "Extreme Sensation" and "Comfortable Use". Large drawings The model was chosen to mold a panel model of clay 1/1 times the actual size is G

After modeling the dashboard, the real size of the first was the Basic. The team added details to the decor. And improve design The second half of the instrument panel before the center of the panel to float float up from the instrument panel to a little bit as successful.

When the design was completed, Suzuki delivered a prototype of the new Swift (prototype) to test drive at the Sagara plant in Japan, including the actual road conditions in England, Germany, Spain, focusing on the set of suspension and steering wheel. Drive your customers on the Autobahn Expressway as well as the curve.
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-di.jpg
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-d2.jpg
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-d3.jpg

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-d4.jpg
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-d5.jpg

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-d6.jpg
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-d7.jpg
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-d8.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th February 2018 at 16:13.
volkman10 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 10:39   #911
BHPian

Does anyone have updates on deliveries or seen any cars running around? Haven't seen a single vehicle on the road in Chennai. Apparently the new Swift hasn't gotten the RTO approval yet in the state

Last edited by qr20de : 16th February 2018 at 10:43.
Old 16th February 2018, 10:57   #912
Senior - BHPian

Saw a couple of new Swifts on road yesterday. Honestly, I am not impressed. It doesn't have the appealing appearance or character of older Swifts. Even my wife echoed the same sentiments. It will sell a lot no doubt being a Maruti and an iconic name. I was expecting more from it.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 11:04   #913
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post
Does anyone have updates on deliveries or seen any cars running around? Haven't seen a single vehicle on the road in Chennai. Apparently the new Swift hasn't gotten the RTO approval yet in the state
Saw the new Swift in red two days back in Pune; was running on the yellow temp. reg. sticker.

How is that TN RTO has not approved the car while others have? Isn't such an approval applicable nationwide?
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 11:09   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Saw the new Swift in red two days back in Pune; was running on the yellow temp. reg. sticker.

How is that TN RTO has not approved the car while others have? Isn't such an approval applicable nationwide?
Yeah I thought the same, but the dealer here still maintains that they haven't gotten approvals.

Maybe someone can clarify whether RTO approvals are done state-wise or even dealer-wise to sell them?
Old 19th February 2018, 01:11   #915
vdi
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post

Saw 3-4 new Swift here as well at Cochin, not impressed at all.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks