Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2018, 09:50   #946
BHPian

Re: The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Its a different thing that most of the current lot are far from unbiased and are actually not fit to be called journalists
Amen to that! I find three things common in almost every car review video by these 'professional journalists': trashy music, zooming in and out of the car parked in an isolated area, and while driving, talking about how awesome the 'linear delivery of power and torque from the engine' is.

Everyone these days watches guys like Matt from Carwow and Doug DeMuro and come to expect at least something similar.

Maybe Team-Bhp should start video reviews as comprehensive as the written reviews!
qr20de is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 09:31   #947
BHPian

My father took delivery of the new Swift ZXI+ yesterday evening here in Guwahati, Assam. Initial drive feels awesome. Butter smooth engine and lovely steering. After driving the swift, my Bolero DI turbo 4wd has started feeling like a truck .
gunin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:43   #948
BHPian

Probably the first niggle reported on this thread.

My dad bought the ZXI+ variant in Red about a week back. Not driven extensively, just about a 20-30 km drive everyday around Mysore.
One issue he is facing sometimes is - while the engine is idling, the engine loses steam and just switches off. Press the clutch and the start/stop button again, starts like nothing ever happened. He says he faced this behavior at least 4 - 5 times in the past week while at traffic signals. This happens only while idling and has never happened while on the move.
Planning to get it checked with the dealership in a couple of days.
ashbhat2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:52   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbhat2 View Post
Probably the first niggle reported on this thread.

My dad bought the ZXI+ variant in Red about a week back. Not driven extensively, just about a 20-30 km drive everyday around Mysore.
One issue he is facing sometimes is - while the engine is idling, the engine loses steam and just switches off. Press the clutch and the start/stop button again, starts like nothing ever happened. He says he faced this behavior at least 4 - 5 times in the past week while at traffic signals. This happens only while idling and has never happened while on the move.
Planning to get it checked with the dealership in a couple of days.
Yup, please go to dealership. Looks like an ECU issue. Hopefully, they will be able to resolve it. This stopping behavior reminds of SHVS though
Old 22nd February 2018, 14:15   #950
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunin View Post
My father took delivery of the new Swift ZXI+ yesterday evening here in Guwahati, Assam.
Lot of dads buying the new Swift . I would be interested to know if they were replacements to existing cars / swifts.
Old 22nd February 2018, 14:58   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandx View Post
Lot of dads buying the new Swift . I would be interested to know if they were replacements to existing cars / swifts.
In my dad's case, it was a replacement of the 2nd Gen Swift Zxi. There were strict restrictions on the size of the car as the previous gen Swift just squeezed into our garage.

He's had quite a pleasant experience with the Swift that we gave away. Tried persuading him to shift to a Baleno or an i20 but he was persistent on the new Swift.
ashbhat2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 16:05   #952
BHPian

OK I test drove the new ZXi+ Petrol manual variant today for a distance of about 30 kms on NICE road. The car had 450+kms on the ODO. The SA did not ask anything and neither were any conditions put on the distance, speed etc., unlike what the NEXA guys do before the test drive.

Given below is what i felt during the test drive. I will skip the looks part etc and focus only on the interiors and the drive.

Interiors:
1. The interiors felt well put together compared to the Baleno. The plastic is still hard, but it felt good even though there are some panel gaps inside. The interiors felt tighter than the Baleno. It does not feel tinny.
2. The cabin felt spacious with good lighting all around despite the black interiors. Felt better than the Baleno and my Punto. Noticeably, the headroom felt good at the front and back.
3. The dashboard is set low and the seating position is high and upright. Gave very good visibility upfront and on the sides as well. There were no blind spots to speak of. I had around 1.5ft of leg space behind, for my driving position. Am 5.7.
4. Decent storage space with 3 1 liter bottle holders. The rear only can hold half liter water bottles.
5. 2 mobile phones and a purse could be shoved into the storage space below the AC unit. Was also able to place my iPhone 7 plus in the space under the hand brake lever as well.
6. The ICE unit and the instrument cluster feels great. The speedometer is marked all the way to 220 kmph.
7. The steering feels awesome to hold. The switches and control buttons felt decently built and should last.
8. Am not sure if 3 can sit comfortably at the back.

Drive:
1. The engine was butter smooth and could not make out if its running during idling.
2. The clutch is very light and the gear shifts were extremely light and sure slotting
3. The steering feels very very light during city drives, extremely easy to turn and manouvre
4. I guess since the car had done little mileage, it was not revving very easily, but i do not have any doubts on its revv capabilities.
5. The car felt eager to dart off and it hits triple digit speeds easily. The NVH inside the cabin felt very good. There were no vibrations, wind noise etc. You cant hear the engine noise upto 100 kmph at all evern with no music.
6. I also did some spirited driving and managed to take it up to 140. The car does not feel sure footed in high speed driving as the steering feedback is too light and doesn't weigh up sufficiently. Probably because of the tyres? It felt comfort oriented than anything else. All minor undulations were handled well. The low speed ride is definitely very firm. I asked the SA if they knew what the tyre pressure was and they were not sure. The car needed correction all the time and did not give a hunkered down feeling. Maybe a 195 section tyre will help i guess.

Also one more thing i noticed was, usually in the speedometer, the 100kmph mark is almost at the 12 O' clock position in other cars, but in this car i felt it was marked a bit earlier and hence it felt that you were driving faster.

Barring the high speed stability of the car, i found it extremely good overall.
NFS2024 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 10:12   #953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post
I find three things common in almost every car review video by these 'professional journalists': trashy music, zooming in and out of the car parked in an isolated area, and while driving, talking about how awesome the 'linear delivery of power and torque from the engine' is.
Same observation here! One famous lady reviewer uses the term 'Peppy' many times."the car is peppy". Same description was used for Swift Petrol and Tiago diesel. I have tried both and feel is way too different. And one more term that is being used to describe Swift Petrol is 'Rev-friendly'. What could be the real technical description of 'Peppy' and 'Rev-friendly'?

By the way, done with PDI of soon to be delivered Swift ZXI+ at Kalyani motors. Some more observations-
Pros-
1. Bright white projectors. (earlier test drive was taken during daytime)
2. Engine shows very minimal vibrations (observed at idle condition with bonnet open).
3. Minimal to no vibrations at handbreak and gear knob.

Cons-
1. again, cost cutting is visible with dashboard plastic.
2. Dashboard compartment is delicate.
3. Leaver to open bonnet is difficult to find. (Had to ask SA).
4. Position of reverse cam. (can manage, but could have been better littlebit up. No complaints though).

so far, saw Red, Dark blue, silky silver, Magma gray and white cars in reality. According to be, Red>Dark blue>Silky silver>Magma gray> white. White looks too plain and does not highlight some of the sporty contours.
Moto_mo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 10:40   #954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
You still haven't answered how it is different from Honda Amaze having this info on the web page. They got it in a website, Maruti have it in a video. It's still going to be the same stuff they were going to say post completion of the rides.

I don't think this is an ad. Rather a collection of reviews from different motor journalists albeit in a different format.

In fact they haven't uttered anything other than a few phrases at the end, I am not sure where all this outrage is coming from
I've not seen the Amaze ad, however a journalist is supposed to report news in an unbiased manner. This is definitely a paid advertisement, wherein these journalists are endorsing a product, by virtue of being featured in a product advertisement. Secondly this advertisement with its neural headset is sort of hocus focus. There is no point in showing brain activity for only one car, perhaps the brain activity might be even higher if the journalist was in a different car.

The outrage is stemming from the clear conflict of interest. When a journalist receives consideration (in cash or kind) from a company, their opinion is clouded and no longer independent. Pretty simple to understand really.
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:24   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_mo View Post

so far, saw Red, Dark blue, silky silver, Magma gray and white cars in reality. According to be, Red>Dark blue>Silky silver>Magma gray> white. White looks too plain and does not highlight some of the sporty contours.
Agree with your thoughts there. The White for some reason looks really really bland. There was a white Swift ZXi+ all decked up and readied for delivery and I just walked past it without even noticing.

One more interesting thing that I found was the placement of the Jack. During delivery, our SA actually called upon the guys inside saying that the Jack is missing from its usual position ( Under the spare wheel )
The guy who knew about it actually pointed out that the Jack is located concealed under the plastic covering of the rear right wheel.
Image below for reference. Jack concealed in the area circled in red. ( Pic courtesy @CarguyNish post #704 from this thread )
Attached Thumbnails
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-capture.jpg  

Last edited by ashbhat2 : 23rd February 2018 at 11:27. Reason: added pic source info
ashbhat2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:51   #956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Image below for reference. Jack concealed in the area circled in red.
In Ertiga as well the jack is placed in same location. During delivery the SA mentioned that explicitly. Reason for Ertiga to have it there was the spare wheel is outside, underneath the chassis. Bit surprised to see that same position for new Swift (to maintain symmetry in boot?). If they put it with the wheel in the boot, they could offer a little more space in the boot, which may not be much.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 23rd February 2018 at 12:01.
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:58   #957
BHPian

Yesterday evening I had been to Maruti Showroom to have a look on new Swift. It was a Swift Lxi model. Man, it did not impress me at all! First generation Swift had much better character. What I feel, with each generation swift is losing its novelty factor.

New Maruti Swift clearly does not deserve the hype it created on its launch. The interior is plain Jane with hard plastic all around. I did not find anything that can be termed as sporty. With black interior and small glass windows, the inside feels a tad claustrophobic which itself is deal breaker for me. The beat style rear door handle further reduced the glass area at the rear.

Fit and finish of the exterior is average at the best. I am not mentioning the overall look of the car as that is subjective. I am not sure how the market will respond to this car in long term, once initial enthusiasm is over.
Old 23rd February 2018, 12:07   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_mo View Post

By the way, done with PDI of soon to be delivered Swift ZXI+ at Kalyani motors. Some more observations-
I think you'd be the first in the country to get the car with such a short lead time.

Hopefully you'll be able to post some comprehensive pictures soon. Can't wait for them
Old 23rd February 2018, 15:06   #959
BANNED

Priced higher or not, priced to loot or not, priced to profit r not, the Swift is always a hit. The current booking is 60000!

Source: https://auto.ndtv.com/news/new-marut...so-far-1816326

Last edited by romeomidhun : 23rd February 2018 at 15:16.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 18:45   #960
Distinguished - BHPian

Better sense prevailed and Maruti Suzuki offered the standard Swift with no-chrome.

But they know the love for chrome and the after market business opportunity. For customers missing their loved chrome, the iCreate customization program has targeted this set of customers too.

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-marutisuzukiswifticreatesports1.jpg

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-marutisuzukiswifticreatesportsgrille.jpg

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-marutisuzukiswifticreatesportsheadlamp.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th February 2018 at 18:46.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks