Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2016, 20:36   #31
BANNED

re: The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTRACK View Post
can we see something radically different now? That design has got really long in the tooth.
A Swift will always be a Swift. Suzuki won't change its overall appearance too much for sure.

Something radically different? There is a creature called Ritz/Splash. How many are buying it?
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 21:28   #32
BHPian

From the pictures the design looks peppy and the car looks completely chic! However am curious how much of this design will the MSIL retain on the final production car. MSIL has always maintained a neutral approach when it comes to designing their products.
Good to see they dropped the humongous rear bumper seen on the current model. Also a new steering is a welcome move. Looks much more sportier than the current one.
Hope they tune the engine a bit more aggressive (compared to the first gen Swift) than the current one and bump up the bhp by a few digits atleast. Even with a little drop in fuel efficiency the Swift will still sell like hotcakes. Also some peppier colors too would be appreciated.
Skyline_GT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 22:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thats a great evolutionary design IMHO.
The only issue could be that the new design may be to aggressive for the older generation whom do form a large base of the swift buyers.
This design should offer lots to the Maruti designers when they develop the next generation Dzire !!
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 00:05   #34
Team-BHP Support

Looks like most people here aren't happy with the overall design of the new Swift. *speculated*

I like it though. The little black trim that connects the rear passenger window and the rear windscreen, in particular, is a nice touch. The front screams Renault Pulse and the rear is Datsun Go all the way!

Let's hope it retains some of that seat-of-the-pants feel though. And I know it's far fetched, but I hope the slew of hot-hatch launches off late will print Maruti to finally introduce the hot little Sport variant. The chassis begs for more poke!
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 01:11   #35
BHPian

Not a good front in my opinion. The rear is decent in comparison. However, who knows what will finally make to production. This might be one of many designs MS might have considered for the next gen. I just hope this doesn’t.
Old 19th March 2016, 01:47   #36
BHPian

It still looks like an Indica to me. Oh wait sorry! wrong thread

Jokes aside, retains old silhoutte, minimum deviations from previous generation, will still sell irrelevant of everything.
Where Tata is forced to avoid Indicas cues, MS will try to retain as much "swift" as they can in each generation,
so that people know that they are buying The Swift, and god forbid not some other "All new" car, point in case Jelly bean Zen vs Zen Estilo.
400notout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 02:10   #37
Team-BHP Support

Ok. Now I'm bored.

Second generation had minimal changes compared to the first, and third generation seems to be following the exact same trend. Understandable back then as the Swift was a blockbuster for Suzuki and they wanted to play it safe. But this time around- the design could have been more radical as Baleno handles the family hatch duties.

People would still buy though. My uncle just added another Swift to his garage which already included the new DZire as well along with four other Maruti Suzuki cars. MS hasn't given him any reason to look beyond the brand on to other offerings in the market.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 10:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

Going by the opinion of few Bhpians on other threads, I can safely presume that
Swift is better handler than Baleno due to more weight.
Many are loyal fans of Swift's design and prefer it over Baleno.

God forbid, if Baleno loses slight favour from buyers and Swift is changed in the lines of Zen Estilo, it would be a double jeopardy for MSIL.
Therefore they must not fiddle too much with the popular Swift design which is liked by many incl me.

They must launch variety of new colours and an A/T atleast.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 10:16   #39
NPX
BHPian

Great sporty looking design. Much needed after the launch of Baleno and to be launched Ignis. Suzuki has to let go 'inoffensive and decent looking' designs at least for a car like Swift. It has to be bold and aggressive.

Yeah it looks like Micra-ish from front, Dataun Go-ish from rear and has a rear door handle like beat, but who cares, it'll still sell like hot cakes. General buyer doesn't care about all these things if its a Maruti Swift.
NPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 12:22   #40
Senior - BHPian

Much awaited revamp for the Swift. They need to make some real good changes in a sense that it can really be called as next generation swift. Else in the past, all Maruti has done is to change the light, bumper, tail-gate designs, a couple of stickers here and there!

And How I wish Maruti also revamps the WagonR completely. I mean six years is a long long time for a car to be on sale with same old looks.
Old 19th March 2016, 20:22   #41
BHPian

Design will definitely be evolving more matured as these are the initial set of pics leaked. This is only a skeleton. check 2017 VW polo designs in below thread. IMO initial pics were boring but the latest render match with latest generation of cars.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...lo-emerge.html
devil_klm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 01:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

We shouldn't take the buyer for granted.
Case in point, Zen. It still have a huge fan following but still sank without a trace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPX View Post
General buyer doesn't care about all these things if its a Maruti Swift.
Old 21st March 2016, 10:09   #43
BHPian

Rendering of new-gen Maruti Swift from Rushlane

Source - https://www.rushlane.com/2017-maruti...-12190949.html
Attached Thumbnails
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-2017marutiswiftrendergrey.jpg  

mayanksabharwal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 10:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

I quite like it. Maybe the only thing I would change is the rear door handles, prefer that to be conventional.

Swift is an established global model now, so there is no problem in Suzuki going for an evolutionary approach. I am sure the changes under the skin will be tremendous.

First of all, the weight is going to be a huge factor. Considering how light the much bigger Baleno is owing to the new platform, the Swift is going to be even more lighter. And that's going to take the performance and efficiency to a new level. Hope safety is not compromised though.

And I do hope Suzuki concentrate on the fun factor with the Swift and not run behind the family man who is looking for unlimited space and a therapy on claustrophobia while buying a car.

'FTD' factor is what made the Swift that it is today and Suzuki shouldnt leave any stones unturned to reclaim that spot with the new Swift. I am hopeful since they can afford to concentrate on form over function a bit now since both Baleno and Brezza are here for the more 'practical' buyers.

The Swift should remain compact, extremely nimble and fast. That's the ethos of the brand now. And MSIL, please don't forget to slap on that boosterjet engine over here.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 12:06   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
...Maybe the only thing I would change is the rear door handles, prefer that to be conventional.

Swift is an established global model now, so there is no problem in Suzuki going for an evolutionary approach. I am sure the changes under the skin will be tremendous.

First of all, the weight is going to be a huge factor. Considering how light the much bigger Baleno is owing to the new platform, the Swift is going to be even more lighter. And that's going to take the performance and efficiency to a new level. Hope safety is not compromised though.

And I do hope Suzuki concentrate on the fun factor with the Swift and not run behind the family man who is looking for unlimited space and a therapy on claustrophobia while buying a car.

'FTD' factor is what made the Swift that it is today and Suzuki shouldnt leave any stones unturned to reclaim that spot with the new Swift. I am hopeful since they can afford to concentrate on form over function a bit now since both Baleno and Brezza are here for the more 'practical' buyers.

The Swift should remain compact, extremely nimble and fast. That's the ethos of the brand now. And MSIL, please don't forget to slap on that boosterjet engine over here.
Agree 100% on these.

The new Swift has to come with the 90BHP Diesel and 110BHP Petrol boosterjet engines as a hot hatch. Let the Baleno and a good-looking replacement of Ritz (Ignis?) cater to the family/space oriented customers in the hatchback segment, and Brezza cater to the compact SUV segment.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed