Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2016, 14:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest XM, XMS engine downgraded from 89 BHP to 74!

Just noticed from the new brochure that XMS loses out on more features (other than engine downgrade):
(1) 2 tweeters instead of 4 earlier
(2) Remote control for music system
(3) Adjustable rear headrest
(4) Day/Night IRVM
(5) Storage drawer under co-driver seat

IMHO Tata could have kept atleast 3 and 4 in the above list in the XMS variant.
(I just bought XMS Petrol less than a month ago. Lucky me!)
srvm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 14:27   #17
Team-BHP Support

TATA seem so desperate to live upto their name, they should probably consider renaming themselves G-O-O-D-B-Y-E while they're at it!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 15:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

I am loving it; what a remarkable and shameful act by an automobile manufacturer who claims to be global automobile player excluding its home market !

- Sticking to mid 90s in terms of design philosophy (Indica & Indigo)
- Clear lack of product lineup and marketing strategy
- Hardly any great engine (gasoline as well as diesel) - learn something from M & M, the XUV engine is a gem and look at the agility of the company when it was required by law to sell oil burners below 2000 CC; Tata's continue to use their old school petrol motor with same block and a small turbo !
-And now downgrading your own product line; you could be a game changer alas, you failed !

Well please do look forward to "Absence of customers" so that your staff as well as dealers can enjoy summers in their AC cabins and Showrooms !

Stop operating in Indian market Tata !

Please do revisit your marketing strategy for the next launch aka Kite if you are serious !

Last edited by i74js : 22nd March 2016 at 15:23.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 17:06   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Did they downgrade - or did they just reduce the number of options ? I think this is the latter.
Old 22nd March 2016, 21:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Did they downgrade - or did they just reduce the number of options ? I think this is the latter.
Its clear downgrade of their product lineup ! Tatas are missing out on vision on what they want to do. There is a disconnect between team responsible for product specifications and the "go to market strategy"

What a loss !
Old 22nd March 2016, 22:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
I am loving it; what a remarkable and shameful act by an automobile manufacturer who claims to be global automobile player excluding its home market !

- Sticking to mid 90s in terms of design philosophy (Indica & Indigo)
- Clear lack of product lineup and marketing strategy
- Hardly any great engine (gasoline as well as diesel) - learn something from M & M, the XUV engine is a gem and look at the agility of the company when it was required by law to sell oil burners below 2000 CC; Tata's continue to use their old school petrol motor with same block and a small turbo !
-And now downgrading your own product line; you could be a game changer alas, you failed !

Well please do look forward to "Absence of customers" so that your staff as well as dealers can enjoy summers in their AC cabins and Showrooms !

Stop operating in Indian market Tata !

Please do revisit your marketing strategy for the next launch aka Kite if you are serious !
Wow !!! what a rant. Feel free to criticize, but be reasonable.

1. Mid-90s Design: Which was the company that wowed most in the 2016 Auto Expo by their design? An compare that with KUV100 or the upcoming Canto, if you really want to go to an extreme.

2. Great Engine: Please read the Team-BHP review (and numerous test-drive reviews) of the Varicor 400, since we are talking of a different segment (with the XIV 500) alltogether.

3. Downgrading the product line? Did not Hyundai remove the 6 Airbag option from the i20 or Duster doing away with some Airbags in their Mid Variant. Tata Motors is probably positioning the lower variants for the taxi segment, so why all the fuss?

Be critical about Tata Motors where they rightly deserve to - poor turnaround times - taking too long from concept to reality, inconsistent (rather than poor) service experience. But not below the belt sir.

Last edited by sachinayak : 22nd March 2016 at 22:13.
sachinayak is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 22:45   #22
BHPian

I don't understand why so many are disappointed with the move from Tata. I feel it's alright!

The lower variants were never enticing for customers. Skimming the entry variants for Taxi segment and in the process make a bit more money is a decent strategy. I have seen majority of people pick up XMS/XT or XMA/XTA variants. I'm sure their sales analytics data would have pointed the same. These trims are still priced at good value in comparison to competition.
balajisv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 23:14   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Tatas are missing out on vision on what they want to do. There is a disconnect between team responsible for product specifications and the "go to market strategy"
I would definitely like to hear about what their strategy is, and how they plan to do it. Pls feel free to share, if you dont mind .. I would like to help out !
Old 23rd March 2016, 00:38   #24
BHPian

Not really sure whatever strategy Tata thought before making the move, however the forum has been pretty critical about it. However, in the 70-100 post, how many of us are really thinking to buy the Zest. None. So why criticize.

DZire's been running on this engine for age's. Do we say why they not upgrading to 90PS?
gauravdgr8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 01:30   #25
BHPian

The mid level Zest variant, XMS Quadrajet 75PS Diesel, is priced at 7.35L ex showroom in my place. The regular Dzire VDi with ABS is 7.30L and the VDi(O) with airbags goes for 7.45L. So both cars seem to be equally priced.

The question is why would somebody buy a Zest for Dzire money?

I agree that it is unfair to expect Tata to ask significantly lower prices for an almost equal car to the Dzire. But the ownership experience and the resale value of the latter are very hard to ignore in a buying decision. The Dzire does not have any supply constraints or availability issues, and Maruti has enough muscle to offer attractive freebies and discounts if so needed.

So there is very little scope and room for a detuned Zest in the taxi/ office market. And since the Zest is an uncommon vehicle, it would not blend well into the office fleets.

Confusing move form Tata, I agree with the other members here.

Last edited by Yeldo : 23rd March 2016 at 01:32.
Yeldo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 05:53   #26
BHPian

I'm not sure what they are on about here. Didn't Tata earlier say that they're not concentrating on the taxi market now? And why would taxi operators be interested in the zest if it has lost some power?
Anyway, on paper now the entry level zest maybe on par with the dzire and the xcent but its not a light car. I think that power/weight wise, it maybe in a significant disadvantage and would feel more sluggish then the two.
Old 23rd March 2016, 07:49   #27
BHPian

Since the top end ZEST XT has seen no downgrades and is still cheaper with respect to the Dzire ZDI by 33,000rs it offers great value with its 90bhp engine, bigger tyres and touch screen audio system. The XM model never had airbags so it lost out on ABS and the rear adjustable headrests. A lot of buyers never had XM on their radar and went either for XMS or XT. As far as I can recall when I last checked in December the difference between XMS and XT was around 75,000rs today it's 60,000rs ex showroom. I feel there will be more discounts on XE and XM/XMS going forward.

Last edited by damodar : 23rd March 2016 at 07:55.
damodar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 08:46   #28
BHPian

I think, my two cents, it has got more to do with the timing chain issue of the 90BHP tune MJD. If you look at it, the segment TATA is trying to address can easily survive with 15 less horses or the 10 lesser Newton Meters. The 75BHP had better drivability in the city, anyway! The lag, remember?

The 90BHP version requires a mandatory change of the timing chain at 60k kms, and the replacement is NOT cheap. Now, for a car already stigmatized, the major headache is to get the timing chain changed or forego the reliability at as less as 60k kms; not welcome!

You can hear stories of 90BHP mills redone every now and then...not as much with the 75BHP!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 23rd March 2016 at 08:48.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 10:04   #29
BHPian

A look at this thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3937293

And this decision starts to make sense, a lot of sense, especially for the taxi segment.
antz.bin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 12:34   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
I'm not sure what they are on about here. Didn't Tata earlier say that they're not concentrating on the taxi market now? And why would taxi operators be interested in the zest if it has lost some power?
Anyway, on paper now the entry level zest maybe on par with the dzire and the xcent but its not a light car. I think that power/weight wise, it maybe in a significant disadvantage and would feel more sluggish then the two.
That's a good point. However, since it's Quadra jet and not the Revotron, 75PS tune is still good enough for the taxi segment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks