Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2017, 07:06   #331
Senior - BHPian

re: The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs

It’s really surprising that none of the car makers have the confidence to bring out their automatic version at the time of launch. More so since this is in the 10 to 20 lac range which would arguably be not as price sensitive as the below 8/10 lac cars.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 09:05   #332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
It’s really surprising that none of the car makers have the confidence to bring out their automatic version at the time of launch. More so since this is in the 10 to 20 lac range which would arguably be not as price sensitive as the below 8/10 lac cars.
It has nothing to do with confidence. None of the manufacturers have diesel AT's for international markets in the low end. Hence do develop a gearbox for India and not have volumes is not justified.

Which is why you find a lack of diesel AT's.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 09:29   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It has nothing to do with confidence. None of the manufacturers have diesel AT's for international markets in the low end. Hence do develop a gearbox for India and not have volumes is not justified.

Why No petrol AT? Same engine with CVT is available in the Duster. Since Captur is based on the Duster platform, offering CVT with petrol engine should not have been so much of a problem.
damager21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 10:25   #334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Why No petrol AT? Same engine with CVT is available in the Duster. Since Captur is based on the Duster platform, offering CVT with petrol engine should not have been so much of a problem.
Considering how dismal the 1.5L and the CVT combination was, it's actually good they didn't get that in the Captur. Would have been nowhere compared to the 6 speed in the Creta, Ecosport's DCT and the upcoming Compass DSG.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 12:46   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Renault has once again given us a horribly finished interior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ411 View Post
100 % correct..!
+1 to both of you guy. I too own a duster and will not upgrade to the Captur due to interiors and no proper automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I am little befuddled with us writing obituaries based on a few pictures and a handful of leaflets.

Maybe my only submission is to let the car come on board and let us - the Keyboard Warriors- get a feel of the drive.
@Overlander, I think you are missing the point. I am sure C(K)apture will be a capable car. But for a vehicle that is going to cost almost 18 lakhs on the road, good interiors are also part of the package. Very few who plonk 18 lakhs will want to see those interiors on a regular basis.

I bought the duster despite the interiors because that was the only AWD CUV available at that price range. However, now with Compass AWD in the picture, I don't think I will consider a Duster/Kaptur again.
4x4addict is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 13:10   #336
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Eddy & Omkar are out driving the Captur. Based on initial impressions, it's got the looks, ride quality etc. Similar to how the Duster was at the time of its launch.

However, the interiors are a big letdown for the segment. Ergonomic issues & lack of attention to detail too. Even the Creta (which has been around for 2+ years) has a nicer cabin. Considering that it's going to be premium priced, the Captur has got really tough days ahead.

Am surprised they're launching a car with such interiors in 2017. Even Tata & Fiat (Compass) have gotten the interior design & quality bang-on now!!!

Last edited by GTO : 23rd September 2017 at 13:21.
GTO is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 14:21   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@Overlander, I think you are missing the point. I am sure C(K)apture will be a capable car. But for a vehicle that is going to cost almost 18 lakhs on the road, good interiors are also part of the package.
No offence, and i hear you. I am also one of them who like the interiors of their cars to be special, than the exteriors. Also part of the reason why I thought the earlier Fortuner was as ugly inside, as beautiful outside.

Having said that, just to compare the following two images I knocked off the web;

Google search of Renault Captur UK
The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-20170923_140346.png

Renault Microsite for Captur in India
The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-20170923_140322.png

Just 'looking' at these images, I don't really see a perceptible difference. I remember we had a familiar hue and cry about the VW Polo back in 2010 when it was launched with minimalist design, and on my visit to the UK in 2011, found the design exactly the same. I also acknowledge the fact that price points in both countries are different, and the perceived value thereof is also varied. But I personally don't think it's right to write off a product that very few of us have got our hands on.

Again, let me clarify that the Captur lost me when it was announced without an automatic transmission. But I do find credit in a launch that gives design cues and heart that is similar to that being sold outside in mature markets. I deliberately use the word 'similar' because I haven't felt or seen it in flesh personally. And I suspect, a lot of us haven't either.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd September 2017 at 15:52. Reason: wrong way of inserting images. Please see the FAQ for how to add images inline. Use insert rather than IMG tags. thanks
Overlander is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 14:30   #338
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I remember the Captur (the real one) sold in Singapore had 1.5 diesel with 6-speed dual-clutch transmission. I won't be surprised if they do some AMT option for India in future.
Old 23rd September 2017, 14:44   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, the interiors are a big letdown for the segment. Ergonomic issues & lack of attention to detail too. Even the Creta (which has been around for 2+ years) has a nicer cabin. Considering that it's going to be premium priced, the Captur has got really tough days ahead.

Am surprised they're launching a car with such interiors in 2017. Even Tata & Fiat (Compass) have gotten the interior design & quality bang-on now!!!

Thanks GTO, as expected. So the advert says premium and is let down by the real product. Setting the wrong expectations can be costly.

Do you think that they rushed the product into production without giving themselves the time? There cannot be another reason.

Even the Brezza feels nice on the plastics.
Old 23rd September 2017, 18:18   #340
BHPian

The initial reviews on the ride and handling front are positive and along the expected lines. I personally can overlook interior fit and finish as long as they last long. But what I cannot overlook is the suggested premium on the Creta!

6 airbags vs 4
1.6 litre vs 1.5
126 bhp, 260nm vs 110 bhp, 210nm
Premium ICE vs basic unit
Better interior fit and finish

Now, which of the above points warrant a premium? LED lights and some gaudy stickering work on the roof?? Captur can be conisdered at current Duster's list price, not a rupee more if you ask me.
octane_100 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 19:44   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
The initial reviews on the ride and handling front are positive and along the expected lines. I personally can overlook interior fit and finish as long as they last long. But what I cannot overlook is the suggested premium on the Creta!

6 airbags vs 4
1.6 litre vs 1.5
126 bhp, 260nm vs 110 bhp, 210nm
Premium ICE vs basic unit
Better interior fit and finish

Now, which of the above points warrant a premium? LED lights and some gaudy stickering work on the roof?? Captur can be conisdered at current Duster's list price, not a rupee more if you ask me.
Agreed.

Amongst all recent launches, at <15 lacs price point, I would say Verna is truly a premium offering. It offers so much more than most cars out there:
* Projector headlamp with LED DRL
* Projector fog lamps
* LED tail lamps
* 7" touchscreen with Apple Carplay and Android Auto
* Arkamys sound system
* Ventilated seats
* Sunroof
* AC with eco coating
* Rear curtain
* Hands free smart trunk
* 6 airbags
* 1.6L Petrol and Diesel engin with 6 speed MT and AT options
* Shark fin antenna

This old style antenna kind of sums up the mixed bag which Renault is offering with Captur
Attached Thumbnails
The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-captur.jpg  

damager21 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 20:31   #342
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I am going to go against the tide and say that I find the interiors quite good. Yes, the Verna and the City have better looking interiors but I have never been a fan of the Creta's interiors. They look quite basic and plain to my eyes.

Yes, Renault could have made some changes to the interiors like giving a better ACC panel, giving music and phone controls on steering etc. I feel that the interiors look best in the C-SUV segment only next to the Ecosport/Ecosport facelift. I like the way the steering looks and all those gold inserts in the praline version. Even VW Jetta had similar positioning of start-stop button(for international markets). But then, ergonomics has never been Renault's stronghold.

I wish they could have done something about the MPVish look.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 06:48   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But I thought Creta, Hexa and XUV have diesel ATs that are imported. So maybe manufacturers could look at those options?
Old 24th September 2017, 08:39   #344
BANNED

Duster, Brezza and Creta are selling because of their suv stance and Scross is not selling because of the lack of it. Another problem is its 'bigger Kwid' look, mainly from rear.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 24th September 2017 at 08:41.
Old 24th September 2017, 10:12   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Motown India reviews the Captur

Loved the exterior but the same cannot be said about the interior. A premium pricing and you feel you are sitting inside the Kwid. They definitely need to work on that interior and the quality. The "Platine" badge looks really bad.

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-screenshot_4.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks