Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2017, 14:29   #526
BHPian

Re: The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Captur cannibalizing Duster sales is to be expected with the current pricing. To be honest, it's a mystery why people would still buy the Duster with the ergonomic issues ,the below average interior and the lack of rear AC Vents. I understand the AWD argument but most units of Duster that sell are 2WD.
Well, Duster will continue to sell in good numbers once initial wave is over for Captur ( I don't see any wave at the moment ). Duster has its own fan club & with the upcoming 2018 Duster, it is only going to increase so as the sales People who like Butch SUV looks & ruggedness, will blindly pick Duster over Captur. IMHO, it's difficult to digest Captur as SUV because of the design blunder by Renault. Please note that, ergonomic issues continues in Captur also ( Just wait for Team-BHP official review ). Interiors are average ( Little better than Duster ) but no where close to competition ( Creta ). So for me, Captur seems like "Dead On Arrival".
RAHS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 14:45   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
It is wrong to compare sub 4m vehicles with Captur.
@Deehunk , Well the budget that I have is 12 - 16ish. All these cars except the Jeep fall within that. Jeep is an aspirational buy and I can pay more for that as long as it fits my use cases.
It's interesting that you have called out the positives of all other cars. For Captur, you have called out the negatives once again. Guess you must have had a really bad experience with Renault somewhere .
I have still not given up on Captur. will wait for team-bhp review before taking a final call. Thanks for your inputs.
Old 7th December 2017, 15:48   #528
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Captur gets a lukewarm response from the market. Usually first few months after launch the numbers should be good before it stabilizes. Dispatches 1119 cars in November.

Is it Renault's dud in the making?

Source:Auto Punditz
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHS View Post
I expected this. Also, out of 1119 cars in November, most of them would be "dealer dispatches" for Test drives and showroom Display considering it's the 1st month of launch. So actual customer delivered vehicles would be far less. This is definitely a poor start for Captur. Renault launched this in November after all the festive seasons in India. Not a great time to launch new vehicles. I am not expecting Captur sales to go up in 2018 either. I would be surprised if Renault could manage to sell 1000 units per month consistently Bad thing is, Captur has eaten up Duster sales also. Just 798 Dusters were sold in November. This is all time low for Duster in last couple of years It was always 1000+ units.
Duster sales have been on a downward spiral right after the launch of the EcoSport first and then later the Creta, Scross, Breeza and now the Nexon and new EcoSport.

Each of these were like a nail in the coffin.

Quote:
It is wrong to compare sub 4m vehicles with Captur.

Cars priced below/around Rs.11L (ex-showroom)
  1. WRV - Best in class legroom, highly fuel-efficient engines (both Diesel & Petrol), Honda reliability and excellent sales/service network.
  2. Ecosport - A Petrol variant with CVT, highly fuel efficient Diesel engine, best in class AC and ICE, excellent sales/service network.
  3. Brezza - Trusted 1.3L DDiS engine, spacious interiors with creature comforts, excellent sales/service network.
  4. Nexon - Too early to judge.
Cars priced over Rs.14L (ex-showroom)
  1. S-Cross - Wait for the rumoured BS-6 compliant 1.5L Diesel engine.
  2. Jeep Compass - Not a good idea to compare with turbocharged petrol or 2.0L Diesel engine.
  3. Captur - No 60:40 split seat, only Tilt-adjustable steering, fixed arm-rest, poor leg room and head room for 6-foot drivers.
  4. Creta - The only worthy competitor taking advantage of no competition.
As I suggested above all these except for perhaps the Jeep Compass (most units sold touching or crossing 20L OTR) are from the same segment as the Duster and Captur. I know of many who considered the Creta and the EcoSport / Breeza earlier at the same time and they went for say the EcoSport or Breeza due to them meeting almost all their requirements for about INR4L less. Who doesn't want value for money or to save money.

The rear bench of some not accommodating 3 passengers is something that we have ourselves arrived at as a differentiating parameter. Did we not travel with 3 passengers in the rear bench in the Premier Padmini? or do we not see Altos with 3 passengers in the rear. I am giving these extreme examples to indicate that the EcoSport and other such vehicles with smaller rear bench too are used to travel with 5 passengers and the sub and non sub 4 mtrs suvs are all more or less from the same segment for a majority of the buyers who consider all of them before arriving at a decision.

Generally cheaper (smaller vehicles) would sell in larger numbers but a look at the leaders Breeza and Creta does show that it is finally about what appeals to the customer in terms of value for money, quality, pricing, space, looks, perceived service, safety etc. all considered in a consolidated manner in ones mind.

The Captur was expected to along with Duster consolidate numbers but the fact is that the market has moved beyond the package that both these provide in todays times. Duster was the first in the segment when it came out and there were not options, today there are many many options, and quite a few of them seem to offer a better package. Captur is in many ways a modern Duster but yet not modern enough. The new Duster due in 2019 will have to step up significantly to make a major impact. Even the EcoSport refresh that has just been introduced is not significant enough and will just be a stop gap arrangement till an all new EcoSport is introduced.
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 19:02   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Deehunk , Well the budget that I have is 12 - 16ish.
For Captur, you have called out the negatives once again.
Thanks for your inputs.
It is not a biased opinion but it is what it is in reality. I just highlighted the cons because people expected Captur to fill the gap between 10L to 14L, not exceed it.
Old 7th December 2017, 19:11   #530
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Deehunk , Well the budget that I have is 12 - 16ish. All these cars except the Jeep fall within that. Jeep is an aspirational buy and I can pay more for that as long as it fits my use cases.
It's interesting that you have called out the positives of all other cars. For Captur, you have called out the negatives once again. Guess you must have had a really bad experience with Renault somewhere .
I have still not given up on Captur. will wait for team-bhp review before taking a final call. Thanks for your inputs.
Quote:
It is not a biased opinion but it is what it is in reality. I just highlighted the cons because people expected Captur to fill the gap between 10L to 14L, not exceed it.
The reason why people are going against it is because every one expected Renault to match Captur to a Creta, which is not the case, but the pricing is similar. And hence the reasons.
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 19:33   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The reason why people are going against it is because every one expected Renault to match Captur to a Creta, which is not the case, but the pricing is similar. And hence the reasons.
I humbly disagree that Creta is a better product than Captur. Captur provides a better driving experience and also ride & handling than Creta from my test drive experience. Looks are subjective but aam junta will probably prefer the SUV look of Creta. Creta's interior is better but I did feel that Captur's seats were better in terms of support. Leg room seemed adequate to me for Captur but Creta gives the impression of more space.

ASS is no contest since Hyundai is generally better on average.
Old 7th December 2017, 19:40   #532
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I humbly disagree that Creta is a better product than Captur. Captur provides a better driving experience and also ride & handling than Creta from my test drive experience. Looks are subjective but aam junta will probably prefer the SUV look of Creta. Creta's interior is better but I did feel that Captur's seats were better in terms of support. Leg room seemed adequate to me for Captur but Creta gives the impression of more space.
I totally understand your point of view. When I say no-match to a Creta, I only meant the interiors and not the drive (I still need to drive the Captur).

The Creta felt more premium from an interiors point of view. But when it comes to the over all utility and value offered by the product in terms of driving experience, ownership, satisfaction levels etc, that is definitely for each one of us to decide.

As you rightly said even my decisions are not fully based on the premium nature of the interiors alone. If the Captur give me similar usage levels like what the Duster gives then surely its worth a look.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 00:01   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Captur gets a lukewarm response from the market. Usually first few months after launch the numbers should be good before it stabilizes. Dispatches 1119 cars in November.

Is it Renault's dud in the making?

Source:Auto Punditz
The most dud thing about the Captur is that there is no automatic in either diesel or petrol. People are buying automatics for premium cars these days and bosses at Renault consider otherwise. As I was reading through the specs of Captur on launch I was surprised to see automatic was excluded. Come on Renault, even dzire has a diesel AMT and Petrol Automatic
MuzzledMoose is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 07:08   #534
Senior - BHPian

They fear price going up further, even an AMT variant on Diesel will put Captur in the 18L to 20L segment. They have to re-think about their pricing strategy.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 09:00   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is really poor for the first month considering a majority of that shipment will constitute of TD cars and display cars. Unless Renault is doing a slow ramp up to production due to some supply constraints.

But it looks like a lukewarm response from the market. I know of only one person who is very interested in the Captur and even he isn't 100% sure of bringing it home after the test drive.

Its all gone very quiet about the Captur - both from the market and the maker too. Renault shouldn't have bothered with it in the first place. They should have just replaced the existing Duster with the new one in our market.

And Renault, when you are at it - please bring back the AWD in the lower variants too. That old RXL AWD was the best variant there was for the Duster.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 09:22   #536
Senior - BHPian

They should have just launched the new Duster in 2018 or waited till the old stocks of Duster was cleared. Offering mouth watering discounts on a popular vehicle along with a new product launch with similar characteristics was always a risked strategy. I just hope the sales improve gradually so that the efforts of background team is not wasted.
Old 8th December 2017, 10:47   #537
BHPian

Quote:
They fear price going up further, even an AMT variant on Diesel will put Captur in the 18L to 20L segment. They have to re-think about their pricing strategy.
Maruti generally charges 40,000 for AMT models over equivalent manual ones. Even Duster AMT asks for 60-75k premium. How does it then take Captur's pricing to 18 to 20L?

I think they ignored AMT because in Renault's mind Captur is a premium product and AMT is associated with economy vehicles in India.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 11:13   #538
Senior - BHPian

The difference in price is 72K between Duster RXZ MT & AMT variant. Add this to Pristine and RXZ variant, the on road price of Captur will be 18+L and 17.2L in Bangalore. Renault during the launch said it was an introductory price for Captur, other manufacturers have hinted at a price hike of 1-2% from 2018. Will Renault continue with its introductory price for Captur in 2018?

Last edited by deehunk : 8th December 2017 at 11:26. Reason: Rephrase
Old 8th December 2017, 14:31   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I totally understand your point of view. When I say no-match to a Creta, I only meant the interiors and not the drive (I still need to drive the Captur).
Looks are subjective and supported by the prevailing fashion. So, Renault now has better chance to hit the bull's eye based on two similar machines in two different looks (one is sari/salwar-clad and the other in jeans!)

The underpinning is same and proven without doubt. One of the top-scorers in terms of ride & reliability for ages, usually a benchmark even for a car twice as costly as Duster hence (I suppose) the Captur also to be so! (thus, both the eligible girls are equally educated and mannered!!)

Finally the price: and in my opinion a new offering, Captur, should command a better ask, which in this case is also better featured. And, this makes the other one, Duster, a better value for money (similar fun at lower cost, coupled with discounts available across the variants around Rs 1 lakh. )

Fair chances that the other one gets chosen, went to see Gita but you found Mita more fitting . Overall, Renault family will be happier. And one day the customers (real SUV enthusiast) will realise that owning an SUV is for Fun and adventure, not for features and gimmicks.
Old 8th December 2017, 15:09   #540
BHPian

I took delivery of my captur RXT, 3 days back.

I am really impressed, when comparing with my old 85 ps duster, it is a premium product.

You get all the great features of Duster packed in a premium wrapping.
Attached Thumbnails
The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-img_1022.jpg  

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-img_1027.jpg  

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-img_1017.jpg  

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-img_1012.jpg  

Last edited by anilntny : 8th December 2017 at 15:21.
anilntny is offline   (28) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks