Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2017, 21:25   #451
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Another Benefit, diesel base version of both Creta and S-cross is no way better than the 1.5l K9K diesel motor which churns out 110 hp.....
The K9K motor is a terrific highway cruiser in its 110 hp/6-MT avatar in the Duster/Terrano. The 85 hp tune is pretty decent too, with better in-city characteristics than the higher tune option.

No match to the 1.6 CRDi though, but Kaptur has features to make up for it and be a decent Creta rival. The 1.3 DDiS is no match in that segment.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th November 2017 at 21:27.
Old 7th November 2017, 21:41   #452
BHPian

You know something is terribly wrong with the management when they try to make a small car/hatchback look like a SUV and a SUV look like a hatchback IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-picsart_110709.38.07.jpg  

wrongturn is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 22:50   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Eddy & Omkar are out driving the Captur. Based on initial impressions, it's got the looks, ride quality etc. Similar to how the Duster was at the time of its launch.

However, the interiors are a big letdown for the segment. Ergonomic issues & lack of attention to detail too. Even the Creta (which has been around for 2+ years) has a nicer cabin. Considering that it's going to be premium priced, the Captur has got really tough days ahead.

Am surprised they're launching a car with such interiors in 2017. Even Tata & Fiat (Compass) have gotten the interior design & quality bang-on now!!!
Hi GTO, Eddy & Omkar, Now that the prices are out. Any quick thoughts on whether this product is good value for what it offers will be very helpful. Do you see this as potential Creta competition?. Also just wanted to check on the status of official review. Even a test drive will come nowhere close to the details one gets from the team-bhp review. Appreciate all the work that you guys do...

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 7th November 2017 at 22:53.
vishnurp99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 00:30   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Renault Captur Price Comparison

Cheaper then Creta.

Source - ACI Tweet
Creta seems more value for money when you consider the bigger and more powerful engine. A premium for Creta seems warranted and the Captur with this pricing seems unlikely to make inroads into Creta's territory
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 01:33   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

Renault Captur Price Comparison

Source - ACI Tweet
Thanks for sharing this.

The 85 BHP engine on the Captur takes on the new S-Cross well, but the price differential does not seem to commensurate with the kit offered.

The bold new front fascia, coupled with nifty cosmetic changes should augur well to ward off competition.
Old 8th November 2017, 06:14   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
The 85 BHP engine on the Captur takes on the new S-Cross well, but the price differential does not seem to commensurate with the kit offered.
Renault Captur is available only with 110PS variant of the K9K diesel engine.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 19:32   #457
BHPian

Being a Duster owner, here is my take on Captur.

Things that can go in favor of Captur

1. Competitive pricing. Top end "Platine" variant is cheaper than top end creta
2. Feature list - Even base variant ( RXE ) is decently loaded
3. Bells and whistles in the form LED's all over

Things that can go wrong for Captur

1. Typical "SUV" stance and character of Duster is totally missed
2. 110 BHP on Diesel engine is nothing great compare to competition ( Creta = 126 BHP, XUV = 140 BHP, Compass = 170 BHP )
3. No Automatic & No AWD for now

Need to watch out for sales numbers for couple of months & see how market responds
Old 8th November 2017, 20:11   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHS View Post
Things that can go wrong for Captur

1. Typical "SUV" stance and character of Duster is totally missed
2. 110 BHP on Diesel engine is nothing great compare to competition ( Creta = 126 BHP, XUV = 140 BHP, Compass = 170 BHP )
3. No Automatic & No AWD for now

Need to watch out for sales numbers for couple of months & see how market responds
While i agree with almost all your points. But regarding the BHP on paper, yes Captur might look low compared to Creta. But trust me the K9K is far more punchy and frugal than the 1.6 engine of Creta.

So much so that the numbers on the paper from Creta does not translate in the actual power delivery.

I own a Duster and have before this owned a Verna with the same 1.6 engine. Verna actually used to feel even less punchier than my Swift Diesel. Though the hyundai engine is top notch when it comes to NVH, and K9K lags far behind in that deptt.

My 2 cents.
revved_up is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 20:33   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post

So much so that the numbers on the paper from Creta does not translate in the actual power delivery.
Totally agree! I did test drive Creta before finalizing on Duster. Didn't really find it punchy. That was one of several other factors for not considering Creta
However, I still feel that, Renault should have offered Captur with little more bump in power ( Around 130 - 140 BHP ).
Old 8th November 2017, 21:27   #460
BHPian

Quote:
While i agree with almost all your points. But regarding the BHP on paper, yes Captur might look low compared to Creta. But trust me the K9K is far more punchy and frugal than the 1.6 engine of Creta.

I own a Duster and have before this owned a Verna with the same 1.6 engine. Verna actually used to feel even less punchier than my Swift Diesel. Though the hyundai engine is top notch when it comes to NVH, and K9K lags far behind in that deptt.

My 2 cents.

How you felt between swift diesel and k9k engine?
Old 9th November 2017, 08:25   #461
BHPian

The 0-100 acceleration figures of the XUV 500,Duster and Creta 1.4 are similar owing to the more or less equal power to weight ratios. The S cross 1.3 will be behind all of these.
Old 9th November 2017, 08:47   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My 2 cents.
The Duster and Swift are peak torque diesels and that essentially means you'll feel a turbo shove every time you're near the peak torque figure which is what you mean by 'punchy'; but did you factor in the turbo lag that preceeds this punch? Engines with a flat torque like the Verna or Creta never give that turbo shove; the power delivery is linear which to some (who are used to turbo shove) is less punchy. Here's the compromise though: an engine with a lot of turbo shove will also suffer heavy turbo lag. Engines with a flat torque will have close to nil turbo lag and linear power delivery. Result? Very driveable at all RPMs without contending with turbo lag.
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 08:53   #463
BHPian

Creta does have some turbo lag. Hyundai has addressed it in the new Verna though.

I prefer linear power delivery more than peaky power delivery. Having said that the early duster 110s had significantly more turbolag. I believe it was addressed in one of the facelifts with the awd state of tune.So surprised that state of tune has not found its way to Captur.

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 9th November 2017 at 08:59.
Old 9th November 2017, 09:12   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
I believe it was addressed in one of the facelifts with the awd state of tune.So surprised that state of tune has not found its way to Captur.
The 110 PS K9K diesel engine has BIG turbo lag in every car it's used except the Duster AWD because Renault changed gearing on the AWD (for better low-end). That makes all the difference. In fact, you can take off from second gear on the Duster AWD.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 09:21   #465
BHPian

I believe they transferred what was done for AWD to later versions of 2WD Duster's too. So you don't feel the lag.
vishnurp99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed