Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2017, 08:53   #511
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs

The other part of the argument is the space between the two. Please evaluate that part as well.
Old 6th December 2017, 09:24   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
If you remember, there were a lot of concerns with regard to the quality of airbags in the Duster. They are branded as SRP as against the conventional SRS.
I see articles which suggest that SRP is actually a more advanced form of airbags where sensors are used to maximize effectiveness of airbags. No idea about the reliability of this information.

Can anybody point me to any reliable articles on the net on this topic?

I am not really a fan of gimmicks. So I would prefer the Compass as long as it's safer and at least comparable in space to Captur. I don't really feel the 170 hp of Compass will be usable where I drive though.Haven't seen the interior of Compass in person yet but it does look good from outside. The thing with Compass is the very lean service support that you get. Entire Kerala got only 2 service setups today. There are horror stories on quality too on the short time it's been in the Indian market.
Old 6th December 2017, 10:21   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
I suggest you to take the test drive (TD) and feel for yourself how well the car suits your requirements irrespective of when the team-bhp review will come out. You could probably TD it again/ take a call on the purchase decision once the review is out. Our official reviews are definitely the best among all the auto-journalist reviews, but then it is likely that the reviews may influence our opinion on the car

The point that I wanted to put across is, what works for others may not always work for you

I have selectively quoted just to save time and space. I appreciate your points.

My POV is that a review as detailed as Team BHP's helps me in identifying the smaller yet significant points which typically are missed in the short TDs that we are offered. They basically give me "points to look out for" so that I can focus on them and arrive at my opinion after the TD
Old 6th December 2017, 10:27   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
... There are horror stories on quality too on the short time it's been in the Indian market.
A friend of mine who works at Jeep (Kochi) says there are few examples of clutch issues cropping up as early as 15,000 km. This is probably down to customers unable to adapt to the unusual 2nd gear ratio, in which the jeep has a tendency to stall at low speeds.
xjosephjacob is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 10:42   #515
BHPian

Quote:
From a safety perspective, which is a safer car? A jeep compass with 2 airbags or a Renault Captur with 4 airbags. I have no plans to get a 4X4.
If you are not fussed about back bench witdth then Compass makes a lot of sense over Captur. Its a safer car based on the ncap tests.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 18:47   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

Captur gets a lukewarm response from the market. Usually first few months after launch the numbers should be good before it stabilizes. Dispatches 1119 cars in November.

Is it Renault's dud in the making?

Source:Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 20:09   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Captur gets a lukewarm response from the market. Usually first few months after launch the numbers should be good before it stabilizes. Dispatches 1119 cars in November.

Is it Renault's dud in the making?

Source:Auto Punditz
I expected this. Also, out of 1119 cars in November, most of them would be "dealer dispatches" for Test drives and showroom Display considering it's the 1st month of launch. So actual customer delivered vehicles would be far less. This is definitely a poor start for Captur. Renault launched this in November after all the festive seasons in India. Not a great time to launch new vehicles. I am not expecting Captur sales to go up in 2018 either. I would be surprised if Renault could manage to sell 1000 units per month consistently Bad thing is, Captur has eaten up Duster sales also. Just 798 Dusters were sold in November. This is all time low for Duster in last couple of years It was always 1000+ units. Kwid numbers are also diminishing slowly. So basically, Renault's product strategy doesn't seems to be going well in India. They need to do something "very different" to generate the volumes.
RAHS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 21:58   #518
BHPian

Sorry to be pedantic about this, but why is the Captur a crossover in Europe but a SUV in India? How is this not pulling a fast one on consumers? Picture Credit - Screen shot of Renault Estonia webpage.

Also, definition of a crossover as per Wikipedia Almighty - Crossover vehicles are described by "automaker marketing departments, but are "generally a tall, four-door hatchback, which may have all-wheel drive along with extra ground clearance resembling an SUV.
Attached Thumbnails
The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-captur.jpg  

Last edited by iceman7 : 6th December 2017 at 22:00.
Old 6th December 2017, 22:10   #519
Senior - BHPian

What Renault has to do is price their products on its merit and improve the reliability of their products. Captur is a compact SUV with a price tag of SUV. Any sensible person would think twice before paying Rs.14L for this vehicle. There was no response from Renault to the horror stories of injector failure, premature clutch, and brake pads replacement. Renault is neither a Maruti nor Hyundai to expect people to just buy their products as a first choice.

Last edited by deehunk : 6th December 2017 at 22:23.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 22:11   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Sorry to be pedantic about this, but why is the Captur a crossover in Europe but a SUV in India? How is this not pulling a fast one on consumers? Picture Credit - Screen shot of Renault Estonia webpage.
Have you seen this thread?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-customer.html
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 23:02   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHS View Post
I am not expecting Captur sales to go up in 2018 either. I would be surprised if Renault could manage to sell 1000 units per month consistently Bad thing is, Captur has eaten up Duster sales also. Just 798 Dusters were sold in November. This is all time low for Duster in last couple of years It was always 1000+ units. Kwid numbers are also diminishing slowly. So basically, Renault's product strategy doesn't seems to be going well in India. They need to do something "very different" to generate the volumes.
Captur cannibalizing Duster sales is to be expected with the current pricing. To be honest, it's a mystery why people would still buy the Duster with the ergonomic issues ,the below average interior and the lack of rear AC Vents. I understand the AWD argument but most units of Duster that sell are 2WD.
vishnurp99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 23:14   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post

Also, definition of a crossover as per Wikipedia Almighty - Crossover vehicles are described by "automaker marketing departments, but are "generally a tall, four-door hatchback, which may have all-wheel drive along with extra ground clearance resembling an SUV.
Please take a look at these 2 pages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Captur

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/

Two things are apparent from this.
1. Captur in Europe and the one sold in India, Lat AM, Russia are 2 different vehicles. The latter is much more abuse friendly and comes with AWD in the other markets.
2. Check out the crossover/SUVs section of the Hyundai page. You will see Tucson, Santafe etc there. So crossover and SUV are interchangeably used. Creta is of course not sold in US since it's their emerging market model similar to how Indian Captur is a designed for emerging markets. Most manufacturers use and abuse the term SUV & Crossover.
Old 6th December 2017, 23:36   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
What Renault has to do is price their products on its merit and improve the reliability of their products. Captur is a compact SUV with a price tag of SUV. Any sensible person would think twice before paying Rs.14L for this vehicle. There was no response from Renault to the horror stories of injector failure, premature clutch, and brake pads replacement. Renault is neither a Maruti nor Hyundai to expect people to just buy their products as a first choice.
IMHO Captur is reasonably priced considering all aspects. Consider what else sells in the segment from 12 - 18 lakh on road which is decently equipped and has high GC. I have focused on the negatives of each vehicle.

1. WRV - Diesel Engine that sounds like a tractor, Rear seats with not even adjustable headrests and poor under thigh support, so-so ride & handling, No rear AC vents. Relatively small Boot. Poor size
2. Creta - Poor Driver involvement and steering feel, Long wave bounce, so-so ride & handling. 4 + 1 child seater.
3. Ecosport - 4 + 1 seater, Narrow cabin, stiff ride
4. Brezza - Underpowered engine, Poor size/presence, average interiors
5. Nexon - No real deal breaker here except that it's a Tata :(
6. Scross - Underpowered engine. Everything else is good about this car.
7. Jeep Compass - Narrow Cabin,4+1 seater, Lean ASS, quality issues based on team-bhp threads, only 2 airbags considering the price for all variants except the 4X4.
8. Captur - Average ICE, Legroom at a premium for Tall rear passengers.

Now compare Captur to others on the list. It's not overpriced really
vishnurp99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 23:58   #524
Team-BHP Support

What irks me about Renault/Nissan is their non-committal, neither-here-nor-there approach and product positioning/strategy for the India market.

They moan about global products being too expensive for us (to be fair, they aren't the only one), quote that as an excuse to use 'emerging market' platforms, then price them at a premium anyway.

They'd probably do a lot better if they did one of the below:

1. Start offering real Renault/Nissan products for the 'premium' pricing they demand. There's no dearth of competent products in their global portfolio. Clio and Megane are two I can remember off the top of my head that would do great in India. Plenty others to choose from.

2. Price their re-badged entry-level Dacia products what they're really worth, and compete in the cost-competitive segments.

Right now they're trying to sell Dacia products for Renault/Nissan pricing, and it has never worked for them once the novelty factor wore off the few products they managed to sell well (Duster and Kwid).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th December 2017 at 00:02.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 00:56   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMHO Captur is reasonably priced considering all aspects.
It is wrong to compare sub 4m vehicles with Captur.

Cars priced below/around Rs.11L (ex-showroom)
  1. WRV - Best in class legroom, highly fuel-efficient engines (both Diesel & Petrol), Honda reliability and excellent sales/service network.
  2. Ecosport - A Petrol variant with CVT, highly fuel efficient Diesel engine, best in class AC and ICE, excellent sales/service network.
  3. Brezza - Trusted 1.3L DDiS engine, spacious interiors with creature comforts, excellent sales/service network.
  4. Nexon - Too early to judge.
Cars priced over Rs.14L (ex-showroom)
  1. S-Cross - Wait for the rumoured BS-6 compliant 1.5L Diesel engine.
  2. Jeep Compass - Not a good idea to compare with turbocharged petrol or 2.0L Diesel engine.
  3. Captur - No 60:40 split seat, only Tilt-adjustable steering, fixed arm-rest, poor leg room and head room for 6-foot drivers.
  4. Creta - The only worthy competitor taking advantage of no competition.

Last edited by deehunk : 7th December 2017 at 01:21. Reason: typo error
deehunk is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed