Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2017, 11:07   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs

Maybe its the low and sloping hood, or maybe its the long wheelbase and the length, or maybe the low height... Something makes me think of it as an MUV, and not a SUV. Just like the Hexa, for example - but we all know why the Hexa gives us the MUV feel. And from the rear, it looks too much like a grown up Kwid!

And talking about premium SUV tag, I guess Renault has LED DRLs, LED headlamps and few other premium features, but the interiors certainly don't seem to have that premium feel to them. Especially the touch screen audio that is shared with the Kwid, which is devoid of any rotary knobs and those ugly looking buttons spoils it for me.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 10:30   #227
BHPian

Images of the 2018 dacia duster are out, the car looks classier and more upmarket, atleast from the exterior images.
Hope Renault also gets inspired enough to plonk the koleos 2 litre diesel into this version of the duster.
Old 1st September 2017, 14:01   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Those looking and hoping the Captur (India) will be priced in similar lines to Duster will be disappointed, as Renault indicates its pricing strategy.

Sawhney, MD & CEO, Renault India :

Quote:
The five-seater compact SUV (Renault Captur) with ‘crossover DNA’ will be a very premium offering and much higher than the Duster
New Duster is India bound in 2019.

Link
Old 1st September 2017, 14:27   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
If the Indian Captur is based on Russian/Brazil Kaptur platform, which is a cheaper platform, and not the European Captur platform then why is this being launched as Captur in India. Shouldn't this be launched as Kaptur. Renault should maintain ethics and not play around with people. If these are the games before launch then wonder what will happen post launch.
Looking at the car, I don't think it is different than the EU spec Captur. So I don't think they are really being "unethical" here.

Also, if you are concerned about the ethics of naming for a market, do note that the highly successful "RENAULT" Duster sold in India, is not a Renault at all. It is a Romanian designed car by DACIA which is now a subsidiary of Renault. The brand is pretty much looked down in most of the developed world and their cars while very practical, perfect for utility, are some of the cheapest in their segments over there.

Renault badged the Duster as RENAULT because the Indians would never buy something called a "DACIA" - a brand never heard of before. We are a breed hard to push away from our preferred brands.
Its just business tactics. Not much to do with ethics really I'd say. The customer should be well informed. Just blindly trusting a product for its name when our own million bucks are at stake - is the consumers' mistake not the sellers'.

While Renault shares the same platforms from Duster for many of Renault-Nissan cars, the cabins & features are way better & thus the cars are sold at a premium. Captur is one of such cars.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 16:17   #230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Isn't it called "CAPTUR"? , I guess we need to change the name in the thread title to CAPTUR instead of KAPTUR.
Captur with a C is based on the Clio platform and which is a sub-4m car.

Kaptur with a K is one which they released recently and is based on Duster platform. Thats what it is being called in Russia. And thats the one which is coming to India.

But looks like based on the Renault India statement the names are going to remain same and start with a C.

Last edited by ampere : 1st September 2017 at 16:21.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 07:12   #231
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
......Renault badged the Duster as RENAULT because the Indians would never buy something called a "DACIA" - a brand never heard of before. We are a breed hard to push away from our preferred brands.
......While Renault shares the same platforms from Duster for many of Renault-Nissan cars, the cabins & features are way better & thus the cars are sold at a premium. Captur is one of such cars.

Very well put Reinhard. One reason why the Ssongyang RX-7 failed. May just have fared better in our market, had it been badged as a Mahindra!
At the same time no one beats us at recognizing VFM either - the reason why the Duster did well in the market. Till its dowdy, beat-up interiors (plus the candy-floss interiors of the competition) drew the crowds away! Few looked at its very competent AWD credentials & super ride & handling.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 12:36   #232
BHPian

Training starts on 10th and one of the good sales manager has promised me details on 13th.
nagateja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 18:32   #233
Team-BHP Support

Renault India updated this teaser on their YouTube channel for the Captor -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 18:58   #234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Only point I can see: They have brought all the Royal elements on the teaser. I just hope the product justifies it.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 20:18   #235
BHPian

Quote:
So its confirmed (presumably), that the name is Captur and not Kaptur? This is one of the biggest confusions so far I came across in Indian Automotive Scene for the year. Its anyway to read the same in Hindi.

They're showing Dubai, Udaipur, Taj Mahal, the royal palaces and properties. One thing for sure, they're projecting it as a premium segment offering for royal classes (with those funky design elements in interiors? Are they really sure? ) and though quality may be a doubt for now till the launch and official reviews, looking at the current Duster's on-road price, this K/Captur will be at the least priced royally!
Old 7th September 2017, 20:23   #236
rbp
BHPian

Stupid teaser, looks like an advert of models
Old 7th September 2017, 21:36   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Only point I can see: They have brought all the Royal elements on the teaser. I just hope the product justifies it.
Looks like someone in Renault's advertising team is confused about captur's positioning and is probably thinking of it as a competition for the S-class..
Su-47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 21:49   #238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post
One thing for sure, they're projecting it as a premium segment offering for royal classes (with those funky design elements in interiors? Are they really sure? ) and though quality may be a doubt for now till the launch and official reviews, looking at the current Duster's on-road price, this K/Captur will be at the least priced royally!
I have a feeling they are going against the Compass. May be as a value option to the Compass, at a slight premium against the Creta/ Duster etc.
Old 7th September 2017, 22:15   #239
BHPian

Quote:
I have a feeling they are going against the Compass. May be as a value option to the Compass, at a slight premium against the Creta/ Duster etc.
In that case the battle may be fierce, as IMO Jeep will sell mostly for its brand recall and solid product quality, whereas Renault will sell mostly for the 'availability' of dealership network and after sales network. With this pricing Jeep has created a new segment, and will enjoy sales like what Duster faced in initial days until Hyundai launches something, or worse, prices the Creta facelift higher to step up the segment. When it comes to Renault, they have some good/different Dash console designs (Fluence, Kaptur), but the shared parts with Duster looks ugly on a 20 lac OTR car.
Old 7th September 2017, 23:02   #240
BHPian

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-captur.png

Wonder as to why the length of Captur appears to be longer than Duster. Are they offering a longer wheelbase than Duster to liberate more legroom for the rear seat passengers?

My biggest grouse with Duster is limited space for rear seat passengers and wide tunnel making it inconvenient for middle seat passenger. Hope these 2 issues have been resolved in Captur

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-duster.jpg
Closed Thread

Most Viewed