Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2017, 11:52   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: India will sell only electric cars in 13 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
May be we are underestimating the effect which can be created by demand from world's second-most populous country.

The second most populous country in the world demands electricity right now. What has that demand done so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Every advanced country wants us to buy nuclear plants from them ? They are even willing to let us join NSG for that !
So it has set up an avenue of supply. what has it changed for the changu mangu like us who are still on aux power. Mind you, thats in the "developed" bits of the country. Heaven help you in the rest of the country.

Last edited by mayankk : 2nd June 2017 at 12:04.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 12:01   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

The second most populous country in the world demands electricity right now. What has that demand done so far?
Every advanced country wants us to buy nuclear plants from them ? They are even willing to let us join NSG for that !
Old 2nd June 2017, 12:06   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

The peak demand power and energy gap has come down to less than 1% and Vidyut Pravah shows that nearly 3000 MW is up for sale right now at spot exchange for INR 2.72 per unit. The rate at which we are moving, it is just a matter of months when the peak power gap will be brought down to zero.

At the additional power capacity comes up, there is no reason to believe that we will not be able to meet the demand from electric vehicles.
Old 2nd June 2017, 12:30   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The peak demand power and energy gap has come down to less than 1% and Vidyut Pravah shows that nearly 3000 MW is up for sale right now at spot exchange for INR 2.72 per unit. The rate at which we are moving, it is just a matter of months when the peak power gap will be brought down to zero.

At the additional power capacity comes up, there is no reason to believe that we will not be able to meet the demand from electric vehicles.
True, but one very important caveat - that is demand for existing/contracted connections. A vast portion of this country - 25% - has no access to electricity. If we were provide them all connections then the surplus/deficit numbers would look very different.
StarScream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 12:48   #95
BHPian

Quote:

I just cannot believe this. I am in Pune and one of the important cities in India and I cannot tell you how many hours we are having power cuts. Ignore the Tier III and villages, atleast cities should get unlimited power supplies. In my hometown, we used to have power cut for hours (6-8 hrs) during summer.

We have very weak Infrastructure in India even when compared to China. Our leaders are living in a different world without knowing the ground reality.

In the recent Grand tour show, Jeremy revealed that Britain only produces 5% more Electricity than their needs and they will face supply shortage if more and more vehicles are electric. I just cannot image the state of India with lot of EVs.

Our leaders are incompetent and implement changes without realizing the aftermath. Demonitization is one example, there may be benefits but we suffered quite a lot. Disclaimer: I am not against or supporting any particular party.

The issue with EVs are cost and recharge time. Even the range is not an issue these days. We still have a long way to go. Our market is very cost sensitive. I don't think manufacturers can produce EVs for the price of an Alto (one of the highest seller in India) with range, charging time etc matching that anytime soon.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 13:15   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
If we were provide them all connections then the surplus/deficit numbers would look very different.
This is precisely the reason why Power Ministry is pushing for adoption of energy efficiency devices such as LEDs, efficient fans and pumps. The improved efficiency helps in avoiding the addition of generation capacity. So the additional capacity required for providing electricity to every household will not be a directly proportional to the the households to be electrified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
I just cannot believe this. I am in Pune and one of the important cities in India and I cannot tell you how many hours we are having power cuts. Ignore the Tier III and villages, atleast cities should get unlimited power supplies. In my hometown, we used to have power cut for hours (6-8 hrs) during summer.
The reason for this are bankrupt distribution companies who are unable to purchase electricity from power plants. It does not mean there is no power generation. In fact, the plant load factor is just 65% indicating 35% installed capacity is not being used to generate power!

Quote:
In the recent Grand tour show, Jeremy revealed that Britain only produces 5% more Electricity than their needs
While I am a huge fan of Jeremy Clarkson, I would not rely on him when it comes to statistics.

Quote:
The issue with EVs are cost and recharge time.
The issue of cost is only because EV sales are small. The moment EVs start selling by 1000s in a month, they will be as cost-effective as conventional vehicles.

As for charging time, fast charging technology has matured enough to be be quickly replicated. 100 kms worth of charge in 15mins is not bad.
Old 2nd June 2017, 13:18   #97
BHPian

Re: Power minister wants India to become 100% e-vehicle nation by 2030

Looks like Mahindra wants Tesla to help make the market here. Should be an exciting next decade if things gets off the ground ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Power minister wants India to become 100% e-vehicle nation by 2030-img_5357.jpg  

mayjay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 14:10   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
I just cannot believe this. I am in Pune and one of the important cities in India and I cannot tell you how many hours we are having power cuts.
Where in Pune do you stay. I'm in Pune too and there are no power cuts at all. Last cuts I remember are during summer months of 2013, and June of 2014.
After that during 2015 when the main lines feeding Pune were being shifted and upgraded we had cuts from 8 Am to 7 Pm for 8 consequtive thursdays.
A ocassional outage due to breakdown in aging infrastructure still happens, but the frequency is going down with things getting upgraded.

Rahul
Old 2nd June 2017, 16:47   #99
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if this thought has been discussed in earlier pages.

What about the batteries required for 100% electric cars manufactured? where will we get lead and Acid as raw materials for these batteries? What will be the pollution level after disposes of dead batteries after 3-4 years? What will be the price of new battery if the car has to be replaced with new one?

Added to all the above, electricity issue in country(Much has been discussed about this)

How to manage battery recharge if the cars stalls due to full discharge of a battery in mid of a long journey tour?

If at all, there are battery bunks(Like Petrol bunks), where we can recharge the batteries on highways, and if there is a long queue for recharging, just think of time spent in those bunks during long journey

I can only think this thread has to be in Official Jokes thread.

Last edited by gkveda : 2nd June 2017 at 16:50.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 17:29   #100
BHPian

I live in Bangalore and am in Chennai often due to personal commitments, both the areas (Whitefield and porur) where I stay has power cuts, on an average 4 hrs on a weekly basis. Things are definitely getting better and as a country we have come very far from where we were 4 to 5 years back. I for one don't use EV mainly due to lack of good options, my body frame wouldn't fit into Reva. If Tesla or M&M sells a decent EV below 15 lakhs, I guess there would be a lot of takers including myself. In my opinion we have to blame the manufacturer for not giving options rather than the government.
Old 2nd June 2017, 20:05   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
What about the batteries required for 100% electric cars manufactured? where will we get lead and Acid as raw materials for these batteries? What will be the pollution level after disposes of dead batteries after 3-4 years? What will be the price of new battery if the car has to be replaced with new one?
100% electric cars like the Teslas, Volt and Leaf run on Lithium batteries and not on lead acid batteries.
Old 2nd June 2017, 20:57   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Where in Pune do you stay. I'm in Pune too and there are no power cuts at all.
Well, within PMC the power cuts have reduced to occasional Thursdays. But once you move to areas outside PMC, things are still not very good.

And this we are talking about a city.

With the current status, I just cannot bring myself to believe that there will be uninterrupted electricity supply 24/7 on our highways. And we are talking just 12 years from now.
Agreed 12 years is enough time to bring in the required infrastructure, but knowing how bureaucracy works in our country, it just looks like impossible for the moment.
They first need to provide electricity to 100% of the villages, before even thinking about all this.

And do remember, fuel can be carried from one place to another and stored, so a lot of electricity deprived villages far off are still able to use vehicles running on fossil fuel, and are able to connect to nearby areas for their needs. (PS: Think about a trip to Leh/Ladakh in an EV)
I do not see that happening with an EV.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 21:34   #103
Senior - BHPian

The power cuts, like the ones I experienced yesterday (8 PM to 12 Midnight) and the day before (3 PM to 11:30 PM) needs to stop. (This is for a municipality which is about 15-20 kms from Kolkata city proper),
The above, alongwith a revolution in battery technology is required for India to be a country that uses primarily Electric Vehicles.
Old 3rd June 2017, 08:17   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Well, within PMC the power cuts have reduced to occasional Thursdays. But once you move to areas outside PMC, things are still not very good.

And this we are talking about a city.
Fringe villages are a complete different issue. Lower rates, farm connections being used for borewells in societies etc. The electricity distribution company is in a loss here, where cross subsidy from HT consumers and industry comes into play, reducing industry when localaties turn resedential also reduces the profitability. The city voluntarily pays a higher per unit charge for un interrepted supply, MERC doesn't allow this for fringe villages.

India is power surplus generation wise, but distribution is a bottle neck, and areas and sectors which pay will get supplies. One individual paying is not the issue, every one in the localaty has to. A small group of non payers or un metered fixed agricultural connections can push the area into low priority one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
With the current status, I just cannot bring myself to believe that there will be uninterrupted electricity supply 24/7 on our highways. And we are talking just 12 years from now.
Agreed 12 years is enough time to bring in the required infrastructure, but knowing how bureaucracy works in our country, it just looks like impossible for the moment.

The highest rate catogory in Electricit biling the HT4 connections that is Railways bigger hospitals, industry needing an un interrepted supply already getting 24 Hrs supply. The last time that Railways needed to reschedule and run diesel under wires due to electricity shortfall was in December 2013. EV charging points will most probably be under HT4 so no need for a cut. In the end if a power distribution company can recover they will invest. For that the charging points will have to provide differential rates at peak and nonpeak hours to attract trucks when car traffic is less.

Note HT4 is not only higher rate, but a variation in demand between 50% to 70% of installed caapacity.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 3rd June 2017 at 08:20.
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 06:29   #105
Senior - BHPian

NTPC forays into charging station business
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...0.cms?from=mdr

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks