Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2017, 12:41   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Power minister wants India to become 100% e-vehicle nation by 2030

The problem with Jatropha was that it could not have been the main plant for farmers since we need to put more effort on growing food for our population. Then if it has to be grown on waste land, most of it is owned by govt. Who will plant and who will collect and process them ?

It should not have become like palm oil plantations of south east asia, where forest are being cut down to grow palm.

Where will electric power come from ? Is the govt looking at nuclear power generation ?
Old 9th May 2017, 13:43   #77
BHPian

2030 is a long time ahead and we are not sure on how many times the government is going to change and who is going to change the law again on what kind of deals they make . Keeping all the politics aside and looking forward for the benefit of Humanity;

1. No one has the data on How much Carbon emission is reduced by using EVs compared to the IC engines?
2. Considering Solar power as an optional, the so called great visionaries are taking Agricultural land to make solar farms and they are killing agriculture and Humanity, you have few examples in Tamil Nadu for this
3. There are lot of ideas and projects done by students from India and abroad, but the government has failed to recognize them and fund them for mass production. For ex:
i. Generate electricity from moving vehicles - A project from MGIT Telengana
ii. There are lot of projects to generate Power using Piezoelectric concept
iii. We can go on... but we need proper visionaries and VCs who need to fund and make India ready for the dream by 2030
4. The most viable solution for the EVs would be the NanoFlowCell Technology. Am a great beleiver and folower of this concept. They have great concept cars, but it is a long distant dream to make it in mass production. And I beleive that this technology is the most;
i. User Friendly
ii. Environment Friendly
iii. Less Toxic
iv. Long range demonstrated etc...

With all fingers crossed, let's hope for a combination of best of all these in a optimal way to make the world a better place to live for the future generations

Last edited by PetroTurbo : 9th May 2017 at 13:45. Reason: Added missing link
Old 9th May 2017, 13:57   #78
Senior - BHPian

"Power minister wants India to become 100% e-vehicle nation by 2030"! : Depends of who is in "power" then, Minister! . There's not enough power to run the industries and home where will these guys get the power to charge the cars?? Power Minister do you've a 'Power Genie'?
Old 9th May 2017, 14:07   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetroTurbo View Post
1. No one has the data on How much Carbon emission is reduced by using EVs compared to the IC engines?
I believe there is more than enough evidence to support that EVs are indeed greener than IC engines. One such example is this.

Quote:
i. Generate electricity from moving vehicles - A project from MGIT Telengana
Not wanting to discourage the efforts of students, but this is laughable at best. The professor, however deserves some serious rap.
Old 11th May 2017, 17:52   #80
Senior - BHPian

In line with the Government's initiative, Mahindra has come up with an offer to pay the customers' electricity bills on purchase of e2o. Here's a screenshot of the scheme that I received in my mail today.
Attached Thumbnails
Power minister wants India to become 100% e-vehicle nation by 2030-img_20170511_174736.jpg  

dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 11:10   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Niti Aayog has drawn up an ambitious 3-phase plan to cover India's mobility in the next 15 years.

In collaboration with the Rock Mountain Institute, the Niti Aayog has presented a joint report called ‘India Leaps Ahead: Transformative Mobility Solution’, in which it has pointed out that accelerated adoption of electric and shared vehicles could save as much as $60 billion in diesel and petrol costs while cutting down on as much as 1 gigatonne (GT) of carbon emissions for India by 2030.

Quote:
This starting point enables India to leapfrog towards ambitious goals of 6-7 million xEVs by 2020 and 175 GW of renewable energy by 2022. Niti Aayog says today, many of the technologies and business models that support this vision are already cost-effective, high-quality, and convenient. For example, many HEVs, PHEVs, and battery electric vehicles (BEVs), which represent a progression of increasing intensity of vehicle electrification, are becoming cost-competitive and can become more so through bulk procurement of their common assembly- and subassembly-level parts. The affirmation of the NEMMP-2020 roadmap and continuation of the FAME scheme are important indicators for OEMs that play critical roles in bringing more xEV products to the Indian marketplace.

Niti Aayog and RMI have drawn three strategic phases covering the action plan for next 15 years, until 2032. These include:

Phase 1 (‘Notching the Arrow’, 2017–2019) prioritises solutions that are already economic and capable of rapid scaling, while cultivating solutions that are nearly economic.
Phase 2 (‘Drawing the Bow’, 2020–2023), opportunities that were introduced in Phase 1 are being refined and scaled, while the options that were previously identified as nearly economic have become cost-effective and ready for deployment. Simultaneously, public- and private-sector action continues to lay the groundwork for enhancing the economics and feasibility of future opportunities.
Phase 3 (‘Letting the Arrow Fly’, 2024–2032), more opportunities become economic and scale to the national level. Emerging ideas follow this same trajectory, while systemic solutions from lighthouse examples help integrate technology, design, and business models at a national scale.
Power minister wants India to become 100% e-vehicle nation by 2030-niti.jpg
Power minister wants India to become 100% e-vehicle nation by 2030-niti2.jpg
Power minister wants India to become 100% e-vehicle nation by 2030-niti3.jpg
Power minister wants India to become 100% e-vehicle nation by 2030-niti4.jpg
Power minister wants India to become 100% e-vehicle nation by 2030-niti5.jpg

Autocar Professional

Last edited by RavenAvi : 13th May 2017 at 11:14.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 15:42   #82

I think as a society we need to understand that fossil fuel dependency has to be eliminated for a long term benefit like global warming, pollution etc. Electricity in transport is just a small step since a large number of dependencies still needs to be addressed. Like we design car using steel which is produced from Iron ore using fossil fuel to heat the blast furnace and the Solar battery plastic components are also produced with similar methods. So what to do.

We need to give time to scientists so that 0 dependency from fossil fuel can be worked out.

India is already an electricity rich nation. That means electricity is available. However that needs to available inside the car battery.

How to do that?

We need storage.

Look at the Tesla super chargers.

These superchargers need to be charged by the grid and can also be charged by solar panels installed on the top. A design win. Although the efficiency needs to be worked out as how big panel is required for how much energy.

Where to place them?

All households, Apartment parking lots. Highway hotels.

This is an entrepreneurship opportunity.

A tesla can be charged fully in 75 mins by superchargers. Not that bad.
Lets say the technology gets better by 2030 and provides 30 mins for 500km
battery. That would be a nice deal. Since generally for a long drive, people also would take rest and eat somewhere and can charge the vehicle.

I think this would all fit.

Also note that electric trucks are also in research.

I think we are moving towards a better future and we all should support this and pass this as a message to leaders so that they can take better decisions.
Old 13th May 2017, 16:09   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swetank7 View Post
A tesla can be charged fully in 75 mins by superchargers. Not that bad.

Lets say the technology gets better by 2030 and provides 30 mins for 500km

battery. s.

Here in the Netherlands we have a lot of Tesla taxis in the Amsterdam and Amsterdam airport area. Most petrol stations along the main (motor) ways have fast charger.

I use the Tesla taxis often when I arrive at Amsterdam airport to get home to our village near The Hague. About 50km. The drivers tell me they are getting close to 400km on a full charge and about 80% range on a twenty minute fast charge. There are at least three petrol station with fast charge capabilities between the airport and our village.
Still a bit more time then just getting petrol, but about as long as a regular coffee stop! Not bad!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2017, 09:11   #84
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile, govt babus decline to register electric vehicles as they do not have an engine size in cc !!
Weed out these idiots from the system first - progress shall be far easier.
http://m.timesofindia.com/city/kolka...paign=referral
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 09:31   #85
BHPian

India will sell only electric cars in 13 years?

Piyush Goyal has been talking about it for a while. Now more ministers from Modi govt. are talking about it too.

Even if half that target is achieved, it'll disrupt the car industry in a way we can't imagine right now.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/...les-only-2030/
Old 2nd June 2017, 09:35   #86
BANNED

Re: India will sell only electric cars in 13 years?

Agreed. it will be a massive disruption. As much as the change over to Digital Cameras, which killed off the film industry. Kodak as we know it was a major casualty.
Old 2nd June 2017, 09:44   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkollar View Post
Even if half that target is achieved, it'll disrupt the car industry in a way we can't imagine right now.
While general intention of this federal imposition is good, personally I am not sure how well this has been thought through. For one, there is still the debate of generally transferring pollution to the electricity generators and battery industries.

The issue is not selling the vehicles themselves, but setting up the infrastructure - charging stations, efficient and safe batteries, disposals, etc. Also what happens to the hydro-carbons based automobile industry that is thriving right now? They sure have a lot of clout - enough to stall even a central government's directive.
Old 2nd June 2017, 09:45   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

This is another joke.
To go all electric, you have to develop the electrical infra. That means government spending. That means just 30-40% of the outlay will be translated into actual metal and concrete. That pushes the the "2030" deadline to god knows where.
Germany says 2030, I believe. They're already onto renewable energy, AND they have surplus.
India in 2030? Impossible. Just another "project proposal". I dont think either Maruti or Hyundai is scared right now.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 09:58   #89
Senior - BHPian

Things change every day, remember telecom or as @sgiitk says the photography industry. The current automoile industry can start electric cars along with their current fossil fueled ones, may be a single digit percentage of total sale in next two years. Probably 50% by 2025 and as 2030 aproaches sale of electric cars can be closer to 100%.
The way fuel pumps started LPG and CNG charging ports can be added. Pumps can turn into malls where you can take a loo stop, and eat while your car gets a top up or boost charge. A 5 km long tolled induction lane on extreme left where you drive a bit slow and charge your car on the move is another posiblity.
I dont favour autonomous cars, nor do I favour the miniatures like Mahindra e20 but even today I want mind using a mid sized electric car as my city run about, and a plug in diesel electric hybrid SUV for up country and highway runs.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 2nd June 2017 at 09:59.
Old 2nd June 2017, 10:40   #90
BHPian

May be we are underestimating the effect which can be created by demand from world's second-most populous country. Couple of years ago, nobody would have believed that LED bulbs would be cheaper than CFL, solar PV power would be cheaper than coal based power or even pan-India 4G coverage would be a reality right down to villages.

With adequate commitment from Government, I don't see why rapid adoption of electric vehicles would be an issue.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks