Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2018, 16:20   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Fake Engine oil racket busted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
Hey R2D2, which dealer do you buy from in Pune? Can you share his details? Thanks!
Here's the dealer: Heera Oil Corp

BTW, I have now started buying lubes online at Amazon India. Purchased twice already and found no issues so far. The prices are way better than local retailers. So you may want to compare before deciding.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 16:26   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Here's the dealer: Heera Oil Corp

BTW, I have now started buying lubes online at Amazon India. Purchased twice already and found no issues so far. The prices are way better than local retailers. So you may want to compare before deciding.
That's exactly why I was worried as I read reports that oil sold online could be spurious. I just bought a can of Mobil1 online.
So I sent pics of the can to Mobil and they said it looks normal!

You stay somewhere near Bibwevadi?

Thanks Anyways!

Last edited by Crankpin : 28th February 2018 at 16:27.
Old 28th February 2018, 16:38   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
That's exactly why I was worried as I read reports that oil sold online could be spurious. I just bought a can of Mobil1 online.
So I sent pics of the can to Mobil and they said it looks normal!
Yes, that's what I heard too but I put that down to hearsay and FUD rather than facts. And remember there are several dishonest local retailers too who sell spurious and adulterated engine oil. Castrol products is/were famous for this issue. So it's always good to stay in the know of who can be trusted and who cannot.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I decided to give it online purchase a try at Amazon India who I trust. The seller was Cloudtail, one of the local retailers that Amazon and some well known IT industry captains have invested in. I bought SHU 5W-40 from Cloudtail, Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 (SHU replacement in the following year) and Liqui Moly 75W-90 synthetic tranny lube from other sellers. All have checked out perfectly ok and the last 2 lubes are doing duty in my car today.

Quote:
You stay somewhere near Bibwevadi?
Nopes. I stay in Pune Camp.

Last edited by R2D2 : 28th February 2018 at 16:40.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 11:56   #19
BHPian

Well I grew wary too. Went to shell for a free oil change, Helix ultra 5w40 was about INR 2600 online (4L) versus 4900 (4L) at shell pump. One workshop offered it at INR 3900. Upon checking with the shell pump manager I realized the potential of fake oil, so went for oil change at the pump, got a few goodie and a little discount though. Will try Amazon/ Flipkart like stores next time.
Old 9th October 2018, 07:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Cuttack - Fake engine oil manufacturer busted

Over 30k litres of fake engine oil seized, that was being filled into the containers of various popular brands (the photo in the article shows 6 litre cans of Castrol).

https://odishatv.in/odisha/fake-lubr...ack-325864/amp
Attached Thumbnails
Fake Engine oil racket busted-oilunit.jpg  

hserus is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 15:56   #21
BANNED

Re: Fake Engine oil racket busted

Recently came across a video about fake engine oil and I'm dumbstruck!

Even the oil websites are not having proper info on how to identify fake oils. Searching for the right oil is a tedious process in addition to other problems like old oil, non availability of brand/grade, arrogant dealers etc.

So buying from online channels is a better option for many especially for those who are not living in Tier-1 cities.
  1. So how can we buy legit engine oils via Amazon/Flipkart?
  2. Is Boodmo safe?
  3. How can we make sure that the delivered engine oil is not fake?

Most Viewed