Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2016, 23:12   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti sells 40,000 cars equipped with SVHS in 4 months

Maruti suzuki has sold more than 40k cars(ciaz and ertiga) equipped with SVHS in last 4 months. Really, a clever strategy by maruti to go SVHS route. I am waiting to see if other manufacturers would follow.

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/03/4...ampaign=buffer
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 23:41   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti sells 40,000 cars equipped with SVHS in 4 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Maruti suzuki has sold more than 40k cars(ciaz and ertiga) equipped with SVHS in last 4 months.
Congrats Maruti! 40K cars in just 4 months means an average of 10k cars / month! The SHVS equipped vehicles being exempt from the odd - even scheme in Delhi would have increased the sales by few numbers.
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 07:01   #3
BHPian

My friend here in Delhi, took delivery of Ertiga vdi yesterday and since it has SHVS, its exempt from the Odd-Even formula.

Plus since its a hybrid, he got a discount of 13,000 (some FAME Scheme) over the regular 17,000 that was on offer by Maruti.
car_crazy1400 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 10:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
My friend here in Delhi, took delivery of Ertiga vdi yesterday and since it has SHVS, its exempt from the Odd-Even formula.
Forgive my dumb question, but how does a cop know that a car is hybrid or not? Are you given a pass or something? Or is it just the sticker on the back of the car?

And if it's just the sticker, what stops anyone from buying the sticker and pasting it onto their car.
Old 1st April 2016, 10:19   #5
BHPian

I guess its just the sticker. Plus the cops can always check the Registration card. It must be mentioned on it. Though my friends RC is yet to arrive.
Old 1st April 2016, 11:49   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Really, a clever strategy by maruti to go SVHS route.
Clever indeed.

On the one hand, they've convinced everyone that it's a hybrid when it actually is an incredibly mild application. Lobbying in Delhi got them all the benefits usually given to full & proper hybrids like:

- Exemption from the odd-even scheme
- Exemption from the tax hikes in the budget (related thread)

Someone should get the exact emissions reading of an SHVS Maruti. The difference certainly won't be as much as say, between Toyota's regular & hybrid cars. Ditto with the fuel economy. Toyota's proper hybrids can run in full electric mode. Even when the electric + petrol powertrains partner up, the electric motor does a good amount of work (unlike Maruti's SHVS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
Forgive my dumb question, but how does a cop know that a car is hybrid or not?
Over & above the SHVS badge, it's familiarity. To give you an example, a Honda City with dual exhaust pipes will get pulled over for an after-market exhaust. However, all cops know that Civics come with dual pipes from the factory.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 12:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wow! I could never pay attention to this unless otherwise for a news piece like this. That is some seriously smart strategy by MSIL. Am sure Mahindra could take a leaf out of this and lobby that their Micro-Hybrid tech is actually hybrid!
Old 7th June 2016, 10:40   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda City loses the segment leader title to Maruti Ciaz. 3305 units of City were shipped compared to 5188 units of Ciaz last month. Maruti is able to do this strong come back by clever implementation of SVHS strategy and recent additional price cuts in Delhi for hybrid cars.

Source : Auto Punditz
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 11:12   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Clever indeed.

On the one hand, they've convinced everyone that it's a hybrid when it actually is an incredibly mild application. Lobbying in Delhi got them all the benefits usually given to full & proper hybrids like:

- Exemption from the odd-even scheme
- Exemption from the tax hikes in the budget (related thread)

Someone should get the exact emissions reading of an SHVS Maruti. The difference certainly won't be as much as say, between Toyota's regular & hybrid cars. Ditto with the fuel economy. Toyota's proper hybrids can run in full electric mode. Even when the electric + petrol powertrains partner up, the electric motor does a good amount of work (unlike Maruti's SHVS). .
This is what happens when technical legislation are made my technological illiterate people.

In the west, there is a clear guideline that a certain percentage of the powertrain should be powered by the electric motor. You can't just fix a auto start system and alternator assist and call it a hybrid.

I think the next round of legislation will involve 2% discount if you put an eco mode in the car where the pressing of the eco button will bring up an eco light on the dash supporting earth day.
tsk1979 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks