Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2016, 10:26   #1
BANNED

VW Vento 1.5L Diesel: Sales suspended, 3877 units recalled

Was having a quiet breakfast in office, when CNBC carried this Breaking News;

Quote:
Just In: Volkswagen To Recall 3,877 Vento Cars.
The channel specified the Company is halting all diesel engines with manual transmission.

Reuters is carrying the news as following;

Quote:
Car maker Volkswagen AG will recall 3,877 Vento sedan cars in India after tests by Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) found that the emission of carbon monoxide was sometimes exceeding the threshold limits.

Volkswagen Group India will also temporarily stop sales of the affected Vento cars that have a 1.5-litre diesel engine and a manual gearbox, the company’s local unit said in an emailed statement on Friday.

“Volkswagen India is analysing the issue and will propose technical measures to ARAI to solve this inconsistency at the earliest,” it said in a statement. However, the problem is not connected to Volkswagen’s global emissions issues, the company added.

“Once approved and confirmed by the competent authorities, Volkswagen India will implement the measure and resume the production and sales of the relevant vehicle,” the company said.
Link to Euronews (Reuters)http://www.euronews.com/business-new...cars-in-india/

Last edited by methecupid : 1st April 2016 at 10:46.
methecupid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 11:22   #2
BHPian

Re: Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud

Volkswagen suspends sale of Manual Vento diesel over emission inconsistencies

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/51643268.cms

Quote:
"Volkswagen India is temporarily holding back sales of the manual gearbox version of the Volkswagen Vento with 1.5-litre diesel engine with immediate effect. Volkswagen India is analysing the issue and will propose technical measures to ARAI to solve this inconsistency at the earliest," the company said.

The same technical measures will also be implemented in the impacted vehicles that are already with customers. This problem impacts only the manual gearbox version of Vento with 1.5-litre diesel engine and is not connected to the global NOx emissions topic

All other diesel models and variants of Volkswagen India, including Vento 1.5TDI with Automatic Transmission (DSG) and all diesel Polo cars, conform to the norms and will continue to be produced and sold in India," Volkswagen India said.
I don't understand how can it affect only manual diesel that too Vento only ?

Last edited by vin_b : 1st April 2016 at 11:24.
vin_b is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 13:15   #3
BHPian

Volkswagen Vento Diesel Sales Suspended in India; 3877 Units Recalled.

Quote:
Volkswagen India has issued a recall of 3877 Vento sedans in the country on account of exceeding Carbon Monoxide (CO) emissions. The recall pertains to the Vento diesel with the new 1.5-litre engine and a manual transmission. It was during the recent investigation conducted by the Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI), wherein the Vento was found to have higher CO emissions exceeding the threshold limits during the Conformity of Production (COP). Following up, Volkswagen has also announced to temporarily suspend sales of the Vento 1.5-litre diesel with manual transmission with immediate effect.

In its official statement, Volkswagen India conveyed that it is currently analysing the issue and will propose technical measures to ARAI in order to solve the inconsistent emission levels. The company is now waiting for approval from the governing body and will accordingly implement the measures, resuming production and sales of the Vento. The same technical measures will also be carried out in the 3877 units of the Vento already sold to customers.

That said, Volkswagen did not elaborate on the technicalities of the problem causing higher emissions, not on the measures being taken to rectify the same. The company, however, did clarify that the Vento recall is separate from the global NOx emissions scandal that came to light a few months ago. Incidentally, ARAI decided to investigate Volkswagen India's operations after the infamous diesel scandal broke out in the US. The company has previously issued a recall last December for 3,23,700 cars manufactured between 2008 to November 2015 across its three brands - Volkswagen, Audi and Skoda that were powered by the EA 189 family of engines.

At present, the recall only affects the Vento diesel manual variant and Volkswagen has confirmed that none of the other cars from the company have been affected including the Vento diesel automatic as well as the Polo TDI and GT TDI hatchbacks; all of which use the same 1.5-litre diesel engine. The upcoming Ameo compact sedan will also be powered by the said engine. The petrol variants remain unaffected throughout the lineup. More details on the German auto giant's plans are expected to come to light in the following days.

Source: http://auto.ndtv.com/news/volkswagen...called-1292857
Added_flavor is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 13:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Vento 1.5L Diesel: Sales suspended, 3877 units recalled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Thank you Added_flavor for sharing the news here

Quote:

At present, the recall only affects the Vento diesel manual variant and Volkswagen has confirmed that none of the other cars from the company have been affected including the Vento diesel automatic as well as the Polo TDI and GT TDI hatchbacks; all of which use the same 1.5-litre diesel engine.
Is it only me or does something seem a bit out of place here. Why only the Vento MT with 1.5 TDi for this recall? Polo TDI/GT use the exact same engine & gearbox components, but this "CO Emission" does no affect any of these !!

Probably have to wait for further investigation reports.

P.S - Considering its 1st April, I hope VW are not trying to pull a fast one here!!
Old 1st April 2016, 14:01   #5
BHPian

re: VW Vento 1.5L Diesel: Sales suspended, 3877 units recalled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Thank you Added_flavor for sharing the news here

P.S - Considering its 1st April, I hope VW are not trying to pull a fast one here!!
I echo your thoughts about how the other cars with the exact same powertrain is not getting recalled.
Highly doubt the latter part of your doubts regarding a hoax. The last thing VAG group needs right now is still more negative publicity by people who subscribe to 'The Onion' believing its real news.
I'd love to proven wrong by VW if it turns out to be a prank, then I got to admit the management folks here are either smoking something illegal(Just like their cars) or have balls that are made of some seriously strong alloys.
Old 1st April 2016, 20:03   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud

Skoda suspends sale of manual gearbox Rapid diesel.

No ARAI directive, as in the case of the VW Vento, but sale of manual version Rapid put on hold until the VW issue is sorted out.

Quote:
This voluntary pause is because these two models, the Rapid and the Vento, are very similar under the skin and share most of their mechanical components. Only a precautionary move that falls in line with that of VW, this cessation of sale has not taken place due to a directive from the ARAI (Automotive Research Association of India), nor has the Rapid failed any COP test (Conformity of Production). There is also no carbon monoxide issue in the case of the Skoda Rapid, and other Rapid models, like other Vento models, will continue to be on sale. This includes the DSG or twin clutch-equipped diesel and the 1.6 MPI-powered petrol version that comes with both manual and automatic gearboxes.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...el-401105.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st April 2016 at 20:04.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 10:06   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Vento 1.5L Diesel: Sales suspended, 3877 units recalled

Why MT variant only?

Just thinking out loud - the DSG has 7 ratios, of which the 7th is super tall. Perhaps, under 'ideal testing conditions', the tall 7th gear & low cruising rpm made it clear the tests?

I can't think of any other reason. But if they're fixing the engine, they had better fix both (MT & DSG).
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 10:19   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why MT variant only?

Just thinking out loud - the DSG has 7 ratios, of which the 7th is super tall. Perhaps, under 'ideal testing conditions', the tall 7th gear & low cruising rpm made it clear the tests?

I can't think of any other reason. But if they're fixing the engine, they had better fix both (MT & DSG).
Well the DSG has ESP so my guess is something to do with that cheat code. Ideally the ESP model should be the one with higher emissions due to the cheat but maybe VW took care of it in the newer cars but the MT didn't have this available.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 10:26   #9
BHPian

Well if all these diesel engines were exceeding the max emission limits set by ARAI.
How come all the Govt authorized Emission testing units that test and issue a pollution certificate were giving clean certificates ?

Is the whole system not meeting ARIA limits ?
I thought the cheat code was anyways internal to the factory testing units.

OR is that an April Fool stunt ?

Last edited by Fillmore : 2nd April 2016 at 10:30.
Old 2nd April 2016, 10:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Why recall only 3877 units? They must have sold many more MT Ventos than that. Maybe there is something wrong with a particular batch of cars.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 12:21   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Why recall only 3877 units? They must have sold many more MT Ventos than that. Maybe there is something wrong with a particular batch of cars.

Official Statement from Volkswagen India.

VW Vento 1.5L Diesel: Sales suspended, 3877 units recalled-capture.jpg
Old 2nd April 2016, 13:02   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why MT variant only?

Also wondering why not the Polo GT TDI which if I am not wrong runs the same state of tune as the Vento and Rapid.

I assume the regular Polo TDI may not be impacted because it runs a lower state of tune and hence passes the test.

The numbers are also off. The Vento 1.5 TDI started selling in 2014 mid and the Vento sells on an average 1000 units every month (conservative estimate). Assuming 75% is the TDI, we are looking at 12-15,000 Vento 1.5 TDI's sold till date. Since it is engine related, I would have thought it will impact all cars.

Edit: Unless of course they realized it some time back and fixed it from a particular batch on wards and did not bother about the cars in the market. Now they got caught.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 2nd April 2016 at 13:08.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 14:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These "ideal test conditions" probably means testing at around 50-60kmph. Does the DSG go to the 7th gear at these speeds? I think not. I have a 1.6TDI DSG, but I have to admit I haven't always paid attention to when the car slots into 7th gear.
Old 2nd April 2016, 18:32   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Well the DSG has ESP so my guess is something to do with that cheat code.
It's the weekend so my brain isn't running at full rpm . What connection does the ESP have with cheating in emissions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
These "ideal test conditions" probably means testing at around 50-60kmph. Does the DSG go to the 7th gear at these speeds? I think not.
Cruising at 90 kph according to this thread. Will most definitely engage 7th before that.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 19:26   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It's the weekend so my brain isn't running at full rpm . What connection does the ESP have with cheating in emissions?
VW had used the ESP parameters to determine whether the car was being tested for emissions or being driven normally.

When being tested for emissions, the front wheels would be on the dyno roller but rear wheels would be static. When the ESP detected rear wheel speed as static and no steering inputs the ECU would go into "emission cheat mode" and the car would pass emissions as the ECU would alter the fuelling parameters and run a different map. This affected the efficiency as well as performance.

However the guys who caught the whole scandal were testing the VW cars by driving it on regular roads rather than how the EPA was testing them on the dyno roller.

They weren't able to reproduce the lower emissions on the road at all.

In case of Vento the DSG model has the ESP so might be running on the map with lower emissions. That's my guess as to why they aren't recalling the DSG.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed