Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2016, 16:44   #16
BANNED

re: Hyundai Creta Petrol AT is here! Also, diesel AT now in S+ variant

I don't understand Hyundai resisting to offer SX(O) in AT variants! AT variants are bought by customers who don't mind spending more for comfort and all, then why prevent them from having a top end version with 6 airbags? If the reason is to keep price low, then why don't they offer AT in base versions? This strategy is like a proverbial thirsty dog in middle of the sea. You can't get a cheap automatic and you can't get the costliest one too!
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 17:18   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

When we first speculated on why Hyundai did not release a petrol AT, one reason discussed was the potential poor mileage. The manual SX + petrol has an ARAI rated mileage of 15.3. Considering this is a TC based AT, I expect the Petrol AT to have an ARAI rating of ~13kmpl which will mean poor single digit mileage in the city.. Should be a key point to consider for those with reasonably good usage.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 17:28   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
When we first speculated on why Hyundai did not release a petrol AT, one reason discussed was the potential poor mileage. The manual SX + petrol has an ARAI rated mileage of 15.3. Considering this is a TC based AT, I expect the Petrol AT to have an ARAI rating of ~13kmpl which will mean poor single digit mileage in the city.. Should be a key point to consider for those with reasonably good usage.
I will wait for my BRV Petrol with a CVT. I am sure the FE would be more than the TC Creta Petrol.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 18:27   #19
BHPian

I think this is more to counter the upcoming BR-V petrol CVT than the Duster AT. Duster AMT might just be collateral damage at best! Hyundai probably didn't want the BR-V to run away with all the petrol sales given the dwindling price difference between fuels. So good move by Hyundai to hurt the competition even before launch. What this may also do is ensure Honda prices the BR-V sensibly(hopefully).

A friend really wanted the Creta AT but didn't have the budget for the diesel SX+ AT and had recently booked the SX+ petrol manual. I informed him of this development and he will change his booking to the automatic!

Last edited by miharbe : 4th April 2016 at 18:28.
miharbe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 12:10   #20
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta Petrol AT is here! Also, diesel AT now in S+ variant

Now it is official:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/51693769.cms
Old 5th April 2016, 15:20   #21
BHPian

This is very welcome. More options for the customer is better than less options.

I have always had this question for people associated with the automotive industry in India. What is the reason that companies (who presumably have capacity) don't offer plug and play options like AT and AWD (for SUVs etc) across the board instead of just on the top end model.

I am assuming here that the 1-1.5 lakh AT premium that companies are charging covers the additional cost of an AT. Why not leave the choice to the customer on what he prefers. Look at the Creta, the price band is 9 lakh to 13.5 lakh. Why not provide an AT as an option at all grades and have the band basically be 9/10 lakh t0 13/5/14.5 lakh. Let the consumer choose what his/her preference is: ease of driving or bells and whistles. Same stuff for AT (in case of Scorpio/XUV/Safari etc)

Can someone with more knowledge of the industry explain that to me. Is maintaining incrementally more SKUs that difficult.

Look at the Creta
- They had 10 SKUs (3 manual with each engine option and 1 AT 1.6 SX).
- After this decision, they will have 12 SKUs (3 MT 1.4D, 3 MT 1.4 Petrol, 1 AT 1.4 Petrol, 3 MT 1.6 D, 2 AT 1.6 D).
- Would having 18 SKUs, 3 each for MT and AT at each engine option have been impossible to track. The do that in countries like Aus and UK and other countries with much smaller sales.

I would think this would actually enhance sales and the first company which tries this would be laughing all the way to the bank.
Asifgrkhan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 19:16   #22
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki launching an S Cross petrol automatic would make the competiton even better. Ciaz has a petrol AT version on offer. Launching a petrol AT model should bring some life back to S cross volumes.
Old 6th April 2016, 19:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Good job Hyundai. Way to go.

I always remember telling people who wanted a 5 seater AT to go for the city instead of the Creta as price difference between the two were too high. The City might have the petrol engine and might be less fuel efficient in the city, but your spending won't close that big difference in OTR prices you pay for both the cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivethru View Post
Maruti Suzuki launching an S Cross petrol automatic would make the competiton even better. Ciaz has a petrol AT version on offer. Launching a petrol AT model should bring some life back to S cross volumes.
Doesn't the S-Cross have better volumes after the price cut?

Also, I don't want to see that 1.4 petrol engine in the S-cross. Remember, doing something just for the sake of doing it isn't a good move. The story of the old Scorpio AT anyone?

I would prefer Maruti got their DCT + AWD combo, if they can manage the price after import.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
I will wait for my BRV Petrol with a CVT. I am sure the FE would be more than the TC Creta Petrol.
Not really (in the congested urban traffic.) I've heard city owners gettin 9.5-10.5 kmpl depending on the urban driving conditions. Considering the BR-V will be heavier, it'll be the same figure if not lesser.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 6th April 2016 at 19:42.
Old 8th April 2016, 12:18   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
I don't understand Hyundai resisting to offer SX(O) in AT variants! AT variants are bought by customers who don't mind spending more for comfort and all, then why prevent them from having a top end version with 6 airbags? If the reason is to keep price low, then why don't they offer AT in base versions? This strategy is like a proverbial thirsty dog in middle of the sea. You can't get a cheap automatic and you can't get the costliest one too!
I completely second this! Its just mind numbing to think that car manufacturers have issues in launching the AT in the top-end trims. You are right in stating that there are people who would love to own the top-end trim with AT and the bells & whistles. Not providing the AT in top-end trim is like being shortchanged and not having any other options to buy a vehicle. (unless buyers want to compromise, which I am sure most don't want to!) And the pricing doesn't really help either.
TkyoPandaMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 23:46   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Ohh!!!
You just spoke my mind. I have always been thinking that why do manufacturers try to bracket us as per a particular model. Let us choose what we would like to have in our cars.
I think its more to do with the one track mind philosophy of certain people, they probably worry that how will they keep track of sales and the number of extra spreadsheets they will have to create for meetings
Mudcat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 20:18   #26
BHPian

Text addition

Checked out Hyundai Creta today.
On asking about Creta Automatic , SE clearly stated that Automatic is only available in 1.6 Diesel & that's too in SX+ trim only.
Brochure shot attached with this post also highlights the same as encircled.

I was interested in checking 1.4 Creta but that was not available neither for display nor in their stock. SE told that, it's available only on Booking.
Enrolled there for its enquiry but is there's any other way to check it out, bhp-ian's ?
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Creta Petrol AT is here! Also, diesel AT now in S+ variant-1460386066642.jpg  

Last edited by CRtorquefan : 11th April 2016 at 20:21.
Old 11th April 2016, 20:57   #27
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Text addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Checked out Hyundai Creta today.
On asking about Creta Automatic , SE clearly stated that Automatic is only available in 1.6 Diesel & that's too in SX+ trim only.
Brochure shot attached with this post also highlights the same as encircled.

I was interested in checking 1.4 Creta but that was not available neither for display nor in their stock. SE told that, it's available only on Booking.
Enrolled there for its enquiry but is there's any other way to check it out, bhp-ian's ?
This screenshot is of all the old brochure buddy.
Ask them to check out the new brochure on Hyundai's site.
As far as the 1.4 is concerned, they generally ask the customers to test drive the i20 Active which has the same engine.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 22:49   #28
BHPian

Heard that the Creta A/T has been updated with R17 alloys, leather wrapped steering. Saw this in the website.

Ok now I have booked the Creta 1.6 A/T, according to my sales man the car has already arrived with them, apart from the advance amount have not released the payment to them. Don't know if this car which has arrived came with that update, if not then can I just tell them that I need the car with the updated features?
Old 11th April 2016, 23:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
This screenshot is of all the old brochure buddy.
Ask them to check out the new brochure on Hyundai's site.
As far as the 1.4 is concerned, they generally ask the customers to test drive the i20 Active which has the same engine.
Ok. Might be true.
Yes but SE prescribed i20 Active, when i discussed about Vitara Brezza, while checking Creta. He said if you're considering Brezza then you should check out & consider i20 Active as it's of the same size & height(not sure, if he said). And to some extent i agreed with him too as i20 Active has almost similar stance expect of its hatchback contours & origin.
Worth considering but still Brezza has SUV DNA to it, thanks to its Vitara genes & musculature.
Until or unless, Automatic comes in 1.4 Diesel, i'm not much keen to spend ₹16 lacs for it. ₹12-14 lacs could be the last call, i think.
Old 12th April 2016, 00:45   #30
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Until or unless, Automatic comes in 1.4 Diesel, i'm not much keen to spend ₹16 lacs for it. ₹12-14 lacs could be the last call, i think.
The new diesel automatic variant comes with the 1.6 engine itself and not the 1.4 diesel.
However, they have introduced it in the S+ variant. This variant was not available earlier with the 1.6 Diesel. It should be priced around 13-13.5 lakhs ex-showroom and will cost a bit above 14 lakhs in Punjab(if I remember correctly, Punjab has very low taxes on vehicles).
If you ask me, I would prefer the Creta as it does feel like a segment above the Brezza.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks