Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2016, 11:25   #1
Team-BHP Support

Jaguar XE diesel imported for homologation. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 38.25 lakh

Thank you to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!

Jaguar launched the XE sedan in India at the 2016 Auto Expo in February with a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder, turbocharged petrol engine. Now, the company has imported 2 units of the XE diesel for homologation.

Like the petrol, the XE diesel comes with a 2.0-litre (1,999cc), 4-cylinder engine in two states of tune - 160 BHP & 380 Nm and 178 BHP & 430 Nm. The engine is mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission or a 6-speed manual gearbox. This engine is from the Ingenium engine family.

Jaguar has been unable to sell its diesel cars in New Delhi since the Supreme Court has banned the registration of all diesel vehicles with engines over 2,000cc in the city. All its diesel vehicles have engines larger than 2 litres. The introduction of the XE diesel will allow Jaguar to sell a diesel car in the national capital.

The XE competes against the Audi A4, BMW 3-Series and Mercedes-Benz C-Class.

Jaguar XE diesel imported for homologation. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 38.25 lakh-1.jpg

Source: Zauba

Last edited by Aditya : 6th April 2016 at 11:27.
Aditya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 13:31   #2
BHPian

re: Jaguar XE diesel imported for homologation. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 38.25 lakh

Thank you aditya for the most awaited news. 430 Nm of torque, i am already inching to test drive that. Any information about expected launch date and price?
Old 6th April 2016, 22:55   #3
BHPian

re: Jaguar XE diesel imported for homologation. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 38.25 lakh

The price, the price, the price!
The one and only thing which IMO is the hinderance of Jaguar's expansion in India.
Hopefully the Diesel sorts thing out.
But mighty, mighty impressed with what Jaguar has achieved.
If the XE sets the tone, the F-Pace is going to build a very healthy customer base and future for the company.
johannskaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 00:01   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I drove the 2.0L diesel variant a few weeks ago during a short visit to the Netherlands. I do like the XE as a whole package, but I was not impressed with this particular engine at all.

Other 2.0L diesels seem to give a much smoother, and when pushed, more punchy ride.

I only had this car for about 1.5 hours. As a total package it’s very nice. However, and I’m not sure how they are priced here in India. In the Netherlands I would probably go for basic XF with some options thrown in, rather then the XE fully loaded.

The XE is overall a very, very nice car, but the XF is a very special car. There is a difference I believe. But all down to personal preference.

i would go for the Jaguar XE any time over a boring run of the mill BMW 3 series or Audi A4. Technically the latter two are probably better, but the Jaguar has much more appeal and stands out from the crowd.

So how does this 2.0L banning work. According to the spec the engine is actually 1999cm3. Most 2.0L engines are actually just below 2000cc so why are they banned? Is the Supreme court going by the marketing slogans or the real technical specifications?

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 7th April 2016 at 00:04.
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 00:26   #5
BHPian

The SC will have to go by the actual technical specifications. It cannot go by marketing jargon. Facts are what is important
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 06:18   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
The SC will have to go by the actual technical specifications. It cannot go by marketing jargon. Facts are what is important
Well, if I take the technical specifications as a fact it isn’t a 2.0L engine. It’s less, so they should be good to go then?!

Jeroen
Old 7th April 2016, 06:28   #7
BANNED

I do not think a 1.999 litre is falling foul of the SCI ruling. I personally do not support engine size caps, but then their lordships know best.
Old 7th April 2016, 07:01   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I do not think a 1.999 litre is falling foul of the SCI ruling. I personally do not support engine size caps, but then their lordships know best.
Agree, I think it is a very questionable rule in the context of what they want to achieve. But it is probably easier to enforce then emission measurements.

More and more countries these day rely on emission measures/regulation have an impact on the car’s price, road tax, where you are allowed to drive etc.

Jeroen
Old 7th April 2016, 11:29   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good to see the diesel arriving soon. As johannskaria stated, pricing will be key. The XE top-end is already ridiculously expensive at 55 lakhs on the road in Mumbai. Whatever premium they have in mind for the diesel, it's going to run close to 60 lakhs. That's too much money for such a compact 4-cylinder sedan. The pricing is on par with the 320d in UK and that's exactly where it belongs!

Love the styling & apparently, it's a great handler too. Jaguar is going to need to fix its sales & marketing if it wants market-share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
So how does this 2.0L banning work. According to the spec the engine is actually 1999cm3. Most 2.0L engines are actually just below 2000cc so why are they banned?
Engine sizes over 2.0L are banned, not those below. 1,999 cc is just fine.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 12:10   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Love the styling & apparently, it's a great handler too. Jaguar is going to need to fix its sales & marketing if it wants market-share.

Engines sizes over 2.0L are banned, not those below. 1,999 cc is just fine.

Yes, agree these cars are great lookers and handle well. As I said I wasn't that impressed on the 2.0l but I was coming from a much more powerful car, so it might be just my perception

Thanks for clearing up the ban. I was under the impression that all cars labelled as 2.0l were banned. Nearly all those engines are typically just a few cc shy of 2000.
Jeroen
Old 7th April 2016, 12:22   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see a Diesel coming for the XE finally. With the uncertainty due to recent Supreme court rulings, new sub 2 litre engine looks like a safe bet.

The real problem however with the XE is the pricing, there is no way they can expect Merc/Audi/BMW like volumes in the segment with such a premium pricing. The facelifted 3 series already has a hefty discount and Audi is not discontinuing the old A4 here till they exhaust all of their leftover kits from the world here, and buyers ain't complaining either as discounts/affordability is way more important.

Even Mercedes has a ray of hope, the all new OM654 sub 2 litre all aluminium Diesel, which is going to debut in new E class soon, later to be added to other cars.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 10:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Jaguar to launch XE diesel in India in April 2017

Jaguar is likely to launch a diesel variant of the XE sedan in India by the end of this month i.e. April 2017. However, the automaker hasn't mentioned a specific launch date yet.

Source: Autocar India
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 22:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar isn't going to sell too many XE diesels either. The problem lies with poor rear legroom and door pads that belong to a corolla !
The car is too driver centric and that isn't always a good thing in India. Most luxury cars are only driven by the owner once in a while.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 18:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar XE diesel: Official bookings commence

Jaguar has officially started accepting bookings for the upcoming XE diesel sedan in India. Interested customers can reach out to any of the 24 authorised Jaguar dealerships across the country to register a booking for the XE diesel. The company hasn't revealed a specific launch date for this new powertrain option yet.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 3rd May 2017 at 18:06.
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 13:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar XE diesel launched in India at Rs. 38.25 lakh

Jaguar has launched the XE diesel in India at a price of Rs. 38.25 lakh, ex-showroom, Delhi. It will be available in three variants - Pure, Prestige and Portfolio. Variant-wise feature distribution for these three trim levels is similar to that in the petrol range. Company dealerships across India have already started accepting bookings for the XE diesel.

The XE diesel is powered by a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder engine rated at 177 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 430 Nm @ 1,750-2,500 rpm. Transmission duties are handled by an 8-speed automatic gearbox. With this diesel engine, the XE sedan can accelerate from 0-100 km/h in a company-claimed time of 7.8 seconds, before hitting its top speed of 228 km/h.

The diesel-powered XE sedan has a fuel tank capacity of 56 litres, which is around 7 litres less than that of the petrol model. The diesel model is also heavier than the petrol variant by around 15 kg.

Jaguar had launched the XE sedan in India during the 2016 Auto Expo with only a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder petrol engine. Prices of the petrol range start from 37.25 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). The XE is Jaguar's entry-level sedan that competes against the likes of the Audi A4, BMW 3-Series and Mercedes-Benz C-Class.

Jaguar XE diesel imported for homologation. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 38.25 lakh-unnamed.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 22nd May 2017 at 13:43.
dZired is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks