Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2016, 17:23   #1
Team-BHP Support

Maruti Baleno Zeta AT launched at Rs. 7.48 lakh

Maruti Suzuki has announced that it will now offer an automatic CVT (Continuous Variable Transmission) on the Zeta (petrol) variant of the Baleno hatchback. This variant is priced at Rs. 7,47,701 (ex-showroom, Delhi).

The Baleno was launched in October 2015 in petrol and diesel versions. The automatic transmission was available only on the petrol version of the car in the Delta variant.

The Zeta variant gets a number of features that are not available on the Delta. These include chrome door handles, alloy wheels, UV cut glasses, front fog lamps, auto headlamps, follow-me home headlamps, auto dimming IRVM, leather-wrapped steering, telescopic steering, front centre arm rest with a storage bin, height-adjustable driver's seat, keyless entry & go, illumination for the glovebox, front footwell and boot and an MID with a colour TFT screen.

Maruti sells the Baleno through its NEXA dealership network. Since the launch of the car, over 44,000 units have been sold. The company has an additional 55,000 bookings to serve. Maruti Suzuki plans to export the Baleno to more than 100 countries from India. It is also the first model by Maruti Suzuki to be exported to Japan.
Aditya is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 17:31   #2
BHPian

re: Maruti Baleno Zeta AT launched at Rs. 7.48 lakh

Hopefully they will follow this up with an automatic for the S-Cross, especially given the Creta automatic versions launched yesterday.
Old 6th April 2016, 17:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothless View Post
Hopefully they will follow this up with an automatic for the S-Cross, especially given the Creta automatic versions launched yesterday.
For this to happen, they either need an Automatic transmission good enough to handle the Diesel torque or they need to launch a Petrol variant. I see neither of these happening, atleast for now.
.anshuman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 18:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
For this to happen, they either need an Automatic transmission good enough to handle the Diesel torque or they need to launch a Petrol variant. I see neither of these happening, atleast for now.
Since they are sourcing the Fiat engines, they have two options. Either go for the dual clutch (TCSS) but that would turn out to be way too expensive or they could source the Fiat 5-speed dualogic transmission that transmission was paired with the 1.6 Fiat Bravo ( anyhow Maruti's AMT also comes from Fiat's subsidiary).

Last edited by daywiz : 6th April 2016 at 18:08. Reason: grammer
daywiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 18:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywiz View Post
Since they are sourcing the Fiat engines, they have two options. Either go for the dual clutch (TCSS) but that would turn out to be way too expensive or they could source the Fiat 5-speed dualogic transmission that transmission was paired with the 1.6 Fiat Bravo ( anyhow Maruti's AMT also comes from Fiat's subsidiary).
Would the TCSS be that significantly more expensive? The difference between the TCSS and manual models is roughly around 1.2 lac. in UK where it was launched last year.
Old 6th April 2016, 20:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Excellent move by Maruti here, launching the Zeta automatic.

Few months back, we were in a scenario where we had to consider buying an automatic hatch for wife (turned out we did not need to, but that's a whole different story).

We sat down, considered all options, and narrowed down to 2: Nano XTA and new Figo Titanium. We had rejected the Baleno based on poor equipment levels in the Delta when compared to Figo (or even Micra).
Another blow to the new Figo then?
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 21:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant move from Maruti. I would have still liked the Alpha version to be the one to get the CVT but this should do meanwhile for buyers who want more bang for their buck.

But one question though, how are they even going to manufacture them when the waiting period for current variants are running into months?

Finally the Jazz V AT has got a competitor. Figo has another nail in the coffin.
SchumiFan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 21:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

The Jazz V AT finally has a competitor and a mighty one.
There are many who were buying the Jazz V AT due to lack of alternatives - I20 got no automatic and the Baleno Delta was low on features.

Jazz V AT priced at Rs. 812,700 in Delhi.
That's a whooping 65000 more than the Baleno Zeta CVT.

I guess the Baleno Zeta has some additional features as well like UV cut glass, engine start-stop button etc but lacks a few things like reverse camera.
Also, Jazz does get the paddle shifters though the real usefulness of those is questionable.

Is there any technical difference between the CVT transmission in the Jazz and Baleno or both are evenly matched?

Overall, the Baleno is definitley more VFM.
Now, the million dollar question is - if Maruti is unable to manage the current bookings, why are they launching another variant?
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 05:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Now, the million dollar question is - if Maruti is unable to manage the current bookings, why are they launching another variant?
Well, I guess that's to shift some of the bookings from manual to auto & eventually buying some more time. They have a huge backlog already. Am sure quite a few folks shyed away from Delta auto due to lack of features & they can now modify their bookings.

In addition this will give them a first mover advantage over their main competitor the i20(yet to get the much needed AT).

Personally am loving what Maruti(err Suzuki) is doing with baleno(petrol). Only wish someone does a crash test anytime soon and I have my cash ready to upgrade from my Estilo as soon as I return to India.

Last edited by SoumenD : 7th April 2016 at 05:22.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 10:21   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't the same - why should they announce the Baleno RS for India, if we look at the bookings on hand!

Leaders like Maruti would like to cash on its current wave of success as much as possible. They will see that protect their existing customer base and looking to expand to more.

With the phenomenal response they have announced that Baleno will also be made in its upcoming Gujarat plant in early 2107. Delivers will get straightened by if the exports tend to rise.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 11:21   #11
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno Zeta AT launched at Rs. 7.48 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothless View Post
Would the TCSS be that significantly more expensive? The difference between the TCSS and manual models is roughly around 1.2 lac. in UK where it was launched last year.
1.2 lac will be quite a difference, considering people already crying foul over a 80k difference in other AM. The difference could be a touch more because of import costs as well. However a premium vehicle and no auto is seriously a big letdown.

Wonder if a future version of the Baleno & Ciaz will get a better transmission than the always droning rubber band CVT.
daywiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 11:37   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Move was expected. You'll see with most new launches that the AT isn't available on higher variants to control 'sticker shock'. They usually follow later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
But one question though, how are they even going to manufacture them when the waiting period for current variants are running into months?
Quote:
When there's a waiting period, manufacturers will prioritize the production of more expensive / more profitable variants.

The Zeta AT fits right in. Don't be surprised if those who've booked a Delta AT get a call saying "sir, we can give you quicker delivery if you move up to the Zeta AT".
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 13:04   #13
BHPian

Now that Maruti has launched the Zeta AT to counter Jazz V AT, I've put up a comparison of certain features.

Maruti Baleno Zeta AT launched at Rs. 7.48 lakh-jb.jpg

Maruti Baleno Zeta AT launched at Rs. 7.48 lakh-jb1.jpg

The Baleno seems a better option IMO considering that Jazz retails @ 8.12 Lacs (Ex delhi) which is 64K more than the Baleno,

Points in favour of the Baleno

# Its a Maruti Suzuki
# Cheaper by Rs. 64, 000
# Better power/torque to weight ratio
# Better tires (boring alloys though)
# Better mileage and GC
# More 'feel good'/'nice to have' features
# Shorter turning radius

I'm expecting the Elite i20 AT in the sportz and Magna trim levels. If Hyundai can launch a diesel AT, nothing like it

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 7th April 2016 at 13:12.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 13:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

I am in the market, for an automatic hatchback. Having driven all available AT cars, right from the Wagon R AMT to Figo DCT; Only reason, I had not considered the Baleno was the fact, that the CVT was available, only in the Delta variant with very less goodies.

As others have stated, a credible alternative to the Jazz V AT and a death nail for Figo DCT.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed