Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2016, 20:32   #46
BHPian

Re: March 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

What's with the sudden spurt of Brio sales? This is really weird. Was there any discounts being given by Honda? Or have people suddenly realized what an under-rated car Brio is!
Old 14th April 2016, 23:15   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avikbrio View Post
What's with the sudden spurt of Brio sales? This is really weird. Was there any discounts being given by Honda? Or have people suddenly realized what an under-rated car Brio is!
Honda would have shipped more units to dealers expecting increased sale figures in March. We will get a clear India after checking the figures for this month.
Old 15th April 2016, 06:16   #48
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 15th April 2016 at 09:13.
vamsi2390 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th April 2016, 11:32   #49
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the sales analysis for March

Would it possible to list the top models w.r.t sales between petrol and diesel variants and similarly between Manual and Automatic transmission?
I believe this would give us some interesting insights on the market trend and some practical comparisons such as whether Baleno CVT sells more the Jazz CVT. Also, most prospective buyers decide on whether to buy a petrol or diesel model first based on their usage and for them it would be more useful to give the top 10 models for Petrol and Diesel separately considering we have certain models which are good in diesel and average (or not even offering) petrol variant and vice versa.

@Mods - pls delete this post if this query has been already asked and clarified. I search but couldn't find this info.
Old 15th April 2016, 14:16   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1980 View Post
Would it possible to list the top models w.r.t sales between petrol and diesel variants and similarly between Manual and Automatic transmission?
I believe this would give us some interesting insights on the market trend and some practical comparisons such as whether Baleno CVT sells more the Jazz CVT.
To answer your question, manufacturers/SIAM never share the sales data based on the transmission type or fuel type - so in short NO way to segregate these data.

Like you said, it would give very good insight on the buyer's pattern and preferences and also about every car model's strength/weakness - but unfortunately we don't have them in the public domain.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 18:13   #51
BHPian

Quite disappointing to see Ford Twins Sales figure again.
I think its too early to write them off. Remember there are still prospective buyers in India who believe in good products.

Ford should really getting out of their comfort zone and start doing below activities if they want to survive in this market.

- Encourage sales teams by provide them good amount of incentives
- Spend more on advertising through social Media or at least frequent newspaper adds which will make their presence felt in market
- Offer test drive campaigns across corporate sector like offices / Banks & housing societies. Most others brand do these tactics even they are selling in good numbers.
- Improve pre & after sales experience which is not so good as of now

Last edited by nilpat : 15th April 2016 at 18:40. Reason: wrong spell
Old 16th April 2016, 02:08   #52

Wondering to see Tata indigo selling more than newly launched Ford Aspire. Really, who still buys Indigo? I don’t see any of them on road.

Other shocking revelation here is Ford Ecosport numbers are almost doubled in spite of fierce competition from Brezza, which otherwise was anticipated to be declined by significant margin. I’m observing this first time that sales figures of an old product are surged even after arrival of more competent product from a stronger market player. Is it really because of price cut move by Ford? or is it because market started realizing untapped potential in Ecosport? Next few months going to be really interesting to see how both of them stand against each other.
Old 16th April 2016, 11:46   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by do-od-do View Post
Wondering to see Tata indigo selling more than newly launched Ford Aspire. Really, who still buys Indigo? I don’t see any of them on road.

Other shocking revelation here is Ford Ecosport numbers are almost doubled in spite of fierce competition from Brezza, which otherwise was anticipated to be declined by significant margin. I’m observing this first time that sales figures of an old product are surged even after arrival of more competent product from a stronger market player. Is it really because of price cut move by Ford? or is it because market started realizing untapped potential in Ecosport? Next few months going to be really interesting to see how both of them stand against each other.
Indigo was lapped up by the Taxi market - last year it was even out-selling its own CS sibling Zest, but the numbers have come down now since Dzire and Etios are dominating the taxi market.

On Ecosport vs Brezza, we may need to wait and watch for couple more months to come to a conclusion. But I think the increase in sales of Ecosport may be attributed to two reasons - one is the price cut which makes it more VFM now and the other is the realization of its potential when compared to the Brezza. Customers might have understood that Ecosport is still the car to beat in Compact SUV space with the arrival of Brezza.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2016, 15:15   #54
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for your efforts to puttees nos. together and sharing with all of us on t-bhp. Well deserved 5 star rating.

It would be interesting to see how many of these monthly car sales are petrol. With the decreasing gap between petrol and diesel prices day by day, Petrol cars will make more value proposition unless the usage is heavy (taxi fleet).

Good to see Ecosport's sales volumes increase but very sad to see low nos. of competant cars Figo and Aspire. Ford has to blame themselves for not being able to push them into the market. I guess its time for revamp of Ford India's management as they are not able to increase their sales even with great products.
thatsdileep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2016, 23:24   #55
BHPian

Thank you for the much awaited post of each month!

Wondering how S-Cross sales are just around 2500 units when I can see them increasingly on roads in Pune & Mumbai. Could this be due to NEXA showroom concentration in metros. Would love to see more sales for this fantastic package from Maruti!

Waiting for next month's figures to find out whether Brezza is cannibalizing S-Cross, Ecosport or Creta sales or does it make more room for itself in the ever increasing car market.
Old 17th April 2016, 00:23   #56
BHPian

Its really so disheartening to see Ford in this condition. I don't know why they are failing even with such competent products and excellent customer service (at least in my region).

While I was waiting for the delivery of the Kwid, my father suggested me to have a look at the Toyota Etios Liva, his favorite diesel car, but after seeing the price and what it offered, I began to look at other options and came upon the New Ford Figo (Diesel). My eyes lit up after reading up on the New Ford Figo, it seemed too good to be true.

I called up the Ford Dealership and they provided me with an e-brochure and pricing list through email within a min of cutting the call. A few days later, I along with my Uncle visited the Ford Dealership. We were attended to as soon as we entered the dealership and shown the car after requesting for a test drive of the Figo.

I want to mention that, the diesel version of the Figo was parked in such a way that the Manager had to drive away and park about 8 cars before we got to it. When I saw them go to such lengths for me (a prospective buyer who might or might not buy the car), I felt happy? I guess all dealerships would do that but being my first experience in buying a car, I felt elated.

Anyway, I drove the car for a few minutes and boy did it feel right. I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. After the drive, I inquired whether it would be possible to schedule a TD for me at my home, and they said they could arrange for it. A few days later, the Figo was brought to my home (78 Kms. away from the Dealership), and I, alongwith my father got to test drive it for a good few kms.

When I asked them about insurance and other logistics fees, they said, "Sir, if you don't want to purchase insurance from us, you are free to purchase it from others, and as for logistics fees, we'll waive that. Also there's a free offer going on, so if you purchase it this month, you'll get a 32" Sony HDTV". This made me smile like mad inside. Overall, I was really happy with the experience.

I apologize for going on and on about my first experience of purchasing a car, but after the warm treatment I got at Ford, I just feel sad and confused seeing them dip lower and lower in sales like this.

Last edited by wadewilson : 17th April 2016 at 00:25.
wadewilson is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 00:55   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
Its really so disheartening to see Ford in this condition. I don't know why they are failing even with such competent products and excellent customer service (at least in my region).
it could be marketing and ASS. I m not sure about ASS though but their marketing strategies are very poor. Ford is very abled in terms of performance and quality but they don't really make their presence felt. Aspire, Figo hatchback, Fiesta etc are good to great cars. There sales number don't even reflect to that of a average car of Maruti or Hyundai
Old 17th April 2016, 10:26   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
Its really so disheartening to see Ford in this condition. When I asked them about insurance and other logistics fees, they said, "Sir, if you don't want to purchase insurance from us, you are free to purchase it from others, and as for logistics fees, we'll waive that. Also there's a free offer going on, so if you purchase it this month, you'll get a 32" Sony HDTV". This made me smile like mad inside. Overall, I was really happy with the experience.
If you finally decide to go for the figo try and bargain for a better deal. There are good discounts to be had on the figo and instead of TV ask for a cash discount as it is a much better option to use the money as you want it.
Old 17th April 2016, 13:06   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilpat View Post
Quite disappointing to see Ford Twins Sales figure again.
I think its too early to write them off. Remember there are still prospective buyers in India who believe in good products.

Ford should really getting out of their comfort zone and start doing below activities if they want to survive in this market.

- Encourage sales teams by provide them good amount of incentives
- Spend more on advertising through social Media or at least frequent newspaper adds which will make their presence felt in market
- Offer test drive campaigns across corporate sector like offices / Banks & housing societies. Most others brand do these tactics even they are selling in good numbers.
- Improve pre & after sales experience which is not so good as of now
I would say Ford should follow up with their prospects & enquiries and be sincere in those attempts. They feel to be laggards, as far as my experience with the dealers in Bangalore are concerned

I am a prospective customer for a premium hatch/compact SUV. I started my research almost from last year. Had been to almost all vehicle dealers. Honda Jazz, VW Polo GT TSI, Suzuki Baleno CVT, Mahindra TUV 500 AMT, Ecosport 1.5 AT, Nissan Micra CVT , Hyundai Grand i10 are in my list. Have test driven & got price lists and brochures of all except Baleno & Ecosport.

I had first visited 'Elite Ford' at Marthahalli Bangalore some 7-8 months back. That time I checked for ASPIRE/FIGO, but price lists and other details were not out. Later somebody called me from the dealer, then I told him I am interested in Ecosport AT and would like to have a test drive as well as brochure/price lists. My office is just about 1.5 kms from the dealership on the Outer Ring Road, but they never bothered to get back to me.

Recently I logged in to the Ford Website, booked for a test drive. I got a call from another dealer, Metro Ford and I requested the sales guy to bring the car to my office for test drive and he agreed. The same day I had requested for VW Polo GT TSI also. VW sales person called me and turned up at my place. I was delighted by Polo GT TSI too. The Ford sales guy didn't turn up nor bothered to call me to apprise. I got pissed off and didn't call them back.

Ford should realise that they are not Maruti Suzuki nor Hyundai who could afford to be complacent, it at all! My experience with Popular in Kerala was awesome when I bought my Swift in 2014. But Nexa experience is pathetic, as when I went to the showroom a few months back, nobody bothered to even look at me. I had registered my interest in Baleno at NEXA website and booked a test drive, but still I am yet to get a call. Still I am may go with them even though there is 6-7 months waiting period for Baleno as it is Maruti and I dont foresee any service nor resale trouble. But its not the case with Ford!

Anyway as of now the choice is between Polo GT TSI and Baleno, if not S Cross or Brezza
Old 17th April 2016, 15:02   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhasir View Post
it could be marketing and ASS. Ford is very abled in terms of performance and quality but they don't really make their presence felt..
I guess that could be one of the factors. Plus, the fact that Ford is still seen as an expensive investment might be putting some people off I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik hill View Post
If you finally decide to go for the figo try and bargain for a better deal. There are good discounts to be had on the figo and instead of TV ask for a cash discount as it is a much better option to use the money as you want it.
Actually, I had even asked them to give me a cash discount and they said that they would give me about 20,000 Rupees cash discount.

Unfortunately, I couldn't convince my father who tried comparing the Figo with his Honda City (which is 15 years old now). I tried telling dad that the Figo was, despite being a good performer an able mile muncher, and it gave above 20+ KMPL. Unfortunately despite this and my continued sermons to him about the car, dad said that his Honda's suspension is far more superior as it was soft and not hard like the diesel Figo. He also reasoned that airbags or a crash worthy structure (Hope I'm saying that correctly) aren't needed as we are not going to use the car for racing

Dad instead suggested to he would buy a second hand Honda City of 2003 So I was faced with the choice of either getting a second hand Honda or a Renault Kwid. Hastily, I told my dad I'll wait for the Kwid and went ahead for it.

The Renault Dealership in Guwahati were also very welcoming. When I called up the SA to ask about the delivery, he asked me to wait for 15 minutes while he brought up the details. Within 3 minutes, he called me back and said that my car was already on its way and poised to reach Guwahati within a day or two. I was pretty happy with the way in which they behaved professionally and didn't delay at all in providing me info about the car I had booked.

Just want to sign off the post by saying that after doing PDI and everything and bringing the Kwid home from the dealership, there started all sorts of unwanted body noise a few days later, even after driving it with utmost care. The fragile body of the Kwid doesn't seem to be suited for the rough rural conditions of my hilly town, haha.

Last edited by wadewilson : 17th April 2016 at 15:09.
wadewilson is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed