Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2016, 14:34   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore: Hyundai Genesis luxury sedan spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
A probably 40-50 lakh Hyundai competing against established Germans in India ? I wonder
Definitely the biggest question mark here. No one doubts the fact that Hyundai makes great cars. However, brand Genesis has zero awareness in India (and most of the world). That's unlike Lexus which is also poised for an India entry.

Hyundai could use Bollywood & socialites to up the brand quotient at the start (remember Shah Rukh & the Santro). The brand has to be positioned as cool & aspirational, else it's a no-show. Good thing is, Hyundai is making so much money in India that it can afford to splurge on Genesis & invest in brand building.

The 30 - 40 lakh space is now incredibly crowded with big SUVs (Fortuner Endeavour), big sedans (Superb, Camry), small Germans (A3, CLA), compact Germans (320d, A4) and discounted barges (520d, E-Class) all vying for the same customer. It's very, very tough in there. Hyundai would need to price & position perfectly, something they haven't always done with their 20+ lakh cars. Neither has the company cared too much - just ask potential Sonata owners who could never manage to get a test-drive.

It's not impossible, but it will be an uphill task. Hyundai will need to put the best talent on the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Interesting move. But if they bring it, they need to target Jetta / Octavia territory and not the luxury guys.
No chance. They already have the Elantra & Sonata (though discontinued) for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Genesis looks awesome but is a sales consultant selling Eon, equipped to handle a Genesis customer.
Hyundai will surely have a dedicated sales team for Genesis.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 14:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Definitely the biggest question mark here. No one doubts the fact that Hyundai makes great cars. However, brand Genesis has zero awareness in India (and most of the world). That's unlike Lexus which is also poised for an India entry.
If I were at a decision-making level in Hyundai, I would have considered the below point:

- Foray slowly into the 30-40 lakh space by offering newer models higher up the range of Elantra. Don't jump gun and bring in a bling bling new 40 lakh car.

This would ensure a trust build up. Hyundai no wonder has brilliant service, but handling a 4 lakh Eon customer is not same as handling a 40 lakh Genesis customer. Maruti is trying with Nexa but has not been very fruitful.

- Decide their portfolio - What to place in 30-40 lakh segment. One Luxury Barge, or 2 luxury barges and 1 SUV. Placing products at strategic levels is essential for a success.

I believe the right approach "at this moment" is to bring in 20-30 lakh cars (> Elantra or Sonata), then in another 2 years start entering the 30-40 lakh segment.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 15:06   #18
BHPian

This looks like the same one that Hyundai had showcased at the Auto Expo this year. With specs like this, a 35-40 lakh price bracket would not surprise me. I hope they do not go for a Nexa model for premium cars initially and restrict sales through big dealers in all major cities. They could use their best sales people for this.
In terms of footprint is it too different from the Camry, in terms of length.
I observed that Hyundai is maybe using the Genesis sedans for in show brand promotion. In case anyone is a fan of shows from Marvel et al, then you can check the change in Sgt. Brett Mahoney's car from a run down Ford to a Genesis for the final 2 episodes of Season 2.
Old 14th April 2016, 15:39   #19
Team-BHP Support

I looked at this closely during the Geneva Motor Show. Except for the shiny wood, it is a pretty good effort, assuming it drives well.

Bangalore: Hyundai Genesis luxury sedan spotted-dsc05756.jpg

Bangalore: Hyundai Genesis luxury sedan spotted-dsc05757.jpg

Bangalore: Hyundai Genesis luxury sedan spotted-dsc05764.jpg

Bangalore: Hyundai Genesis luxury sedan spotted-dsc05762.jpg

Bangalore: Hyundai Genesis luxury sedan spotted-dsc05766.jpg

Bangalore: Hyundai Genesis luxury sedan spotted-dsc05754.jpg
ajmat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 16:21   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I spotted this very car yesterday near Lalbagh MTR gate during peak hour evening traffic. It was driven by the same gentleman too. It almost had the same presence as that of a Jaguar XJ. The car had a large Genesis plate upfront and Advaith Hyundai stickers at the back.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 23:20   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Genesis Brand: Separate Showroom !

In the meanwhile Hyundai has Signed First US Contract with a Dealer for the 'Genesis Brand'

^ Source

It seems just like what Lexus is to Toyota, Infinity is to Nissan, Genesis will be Hyundais premium brand & there definitely will be more vehicles coming from this stable
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 23:37   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

What if it's car of Advait Hyundai MD? He would have imported it and using for personal use. Just my assumption.
Old 15th April 2016, 03:13   #23
BHPian

They also have the Equus which competes with the 7 series and apparently kicks its butt. At 2/3rd the price. http://carsort.com/compare/Hyundai-E...s-BMW-7-Series
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 04:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
They also have the Equus which competes with the 7 series and apparently kicks its butt. At 2/3rd the price. http://carsort.com/compare/Hyundai-E...s-BMW-7-Series
The model equus may be kickass but BMW will kick Hyundai's ass anyday.
Who will really buy a Hyundai at those ridiculous prices when the brand doesn't have the snob value.

SantaFe is a great car, why did people not buy it?

Last edited by ecosport rules : 15th April 2016 at 04:35.
ecosport rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 09:31   #25
BHPian

Given how Hyundai has been pricing off late, they might just price it at par with 5-series here in India. Somehow they think they are the marquee, wanna-have-that brand in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
^^ Great catch Viddy!

I think there is a very good case to launch Japanese/Korean luxury cars in this country. The Camry/Teana/Sonata don't offer value. Something like the Genesis that could bring the game home against the Germans would really hit the spot.

It'll appeal to people who find the Superb an attractive option but are just too scared of Skoda.
Old 15th April 2016, 10:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
What if it's car of Advait Hyundai MD? He would have imported it and using for personal use. Just my assumption.
Dr. Welldone , you hit the nail? or did I? The car, Genesis, belongs to Advaith Hyundai's MD. He has imported it. As per inputs that I received at showroom, the car may be launched in the coming year, till then lets relax
LoneRidder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 11:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
If I were at a decision-making level in Hyundai, I would have considered the below point:

- Foray slowly into the 30-40 lakh space by offering newer models higher up the range of Elantra. Don't jump gun and bring in a bling bling new 40 lakh car.

I believe the right approach "at this moment" is to bring in 20-30 lakh cars (> Elantra or Sonata), then in another 2 years start entering the 30-40 lakh segment.
That is one fine advise. Bringing a 40 lakh car without building customer's trust on high valued car could prove fatal to the brand genesis.It would be great to see how Hyundai takes up things in india for their Luxury brand.
Old 16th April 2016, 08:18   #28
BHPian

We keep seeing a black Genesis near SIPCOT sriperumbadur here in Chennai. Looks like a senior executive's car. The car if it is sold in India and priced right might probably sweep the wind off the entry level sedans from the German trio!
Old 16th April 2016, 14:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjax View Post
We keep seeing a black Genesis near SIPCOT sriperumbadur here in Chennai. Looks like a senior executive's car.!
I was told that the black one is used by the MD & CEO Mr. Y K Koo. Checked that out when I visited Hyundai plant, was not able to click pictures since using camera was prohibited inside the premises

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 16th April 2016 at 14:45.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 19:16   #30

Exciting, I too was crossing this Junction ( Intel U Turn) @ Bellandur in Bangalore. It looked like a Luxury Sedan...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks