Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2016, 16:41   #16
BHPian

Re: Ford cuts production target at plant in Sanand, Gujarat by 50%

I think one of the main reasons for this, apart from poor marketing and others is because Ford is simply losing out on their USP. Every brand should have a USP. Ford's USP with their earlier cars were the build quality they offered and the handling and dynamics. The old Figo was a good seller, so is the Ecosport. Even the Fiesta Classic sold well enough before more feature rich cars entered the market. However, with the new Figo and Aspire, they simply didn't retain their USP anymore. The old formula was lost. They could've retained their previous qualities and bettered upon other areas. I think the new Figo twins would've sold much better if they had a stronger build and handling dynamics of the old Fords.

Also, I know of many existing Ford owners who are shifting to other brands simply because Ford doesn't have any products in their portfolio to cater to them. Suppose I have to upgrade from my Classic 1.6, what do I have from the Ford stable which retains all the qualities of my Classic?

I know most people would say that shifting accordingly to the market's tastes was a good decision by Ford. But I would agree to disagree. Hope I have expressed my point clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forester View Post
It’s a pity to see this happening to a product so early into its lifecycle & to one which has had a glorious past. Has become a norm with Ford, hasn’t it?

No doubt both are very capable cars. But where is the Ford DNA in either of them? I think the reason for their dismal numbers is right there when you compare the new Figo to the last one. It has actually lost a lot and in certain significant areas like build quality, cabin space, handling, overall looks & lack of features in the middle variants. This has brought them to the stage of these production volumes being cut.
Cabin space is actually better in the new gen Fords, correct me if I am wrong. Agree with all of your other points. Also, though looks are a very subjective matter, I think the newer Fords look very good.

Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 20th April 2016 at 16:48.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 17:19   #17
BHPian

Saw a post on Facebook figo group about halting all demos/promos/deliveries for the figo & aspire due to some impending engineering changes.

Wonder what this implies now! One more VW like story coming up? Hope not.

Last edited by null : 20th April 2016 at 17:21.
null is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 17:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Having taken the TD of the Figo/Aspire, the very basics of the Ford is missing.

I owned one of the most engaging cars this side of a million in the Ikon.
I was completely disengaged when I sat behind the wheels of the Figo Aspire.

The complete essence of a Ford is lost. Moreover, the build also was flimsy.
Where is the "Build Ford Tough" tagline any more?

That is because, it simply doesnot exist.
Ford, in the process of going mass market lost the plot.

Hence, it is neither here nor there. They have lost the enthusiasts and they have lost the aam "kitna deti hain" janta.
arnabchak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 17:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Its amazing how Ford gives up on its cars so soon ! The Fiesta died a similar death and it seems the Twins will go the same way.
No one at the Ford showroom was interested in selling the Fiesta when i had shown interest in one a few years back.
Old 20th April 2016, 17:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
My experience with the Cauvery Ford Mangalore is different. The sales team is knowledgeable and responsive, but they are shackled by the limited number of cars they get alloted. The dealership has to pre-order variants 3 months is advance based on an educated guess. And if they do not have a specific variant with them, then the customer has to wait 3 months for delivery. This is where ford is losing lot of its customers who have visited the showroom because they want to buy a Ford. Its not like they have a marketing campaign than is driving in people in droves.
+1 to that. I found the sales executive to be well informed about the car and he was quite eager and enthusiastic about showing all features of the car. I, quite frankly was shocked and surprised after having a look and test driving a the new Figo(specially the Titanium+ trim). I did not expect it to have quite a few nice features (compared to what I had seen in the old Figo).

Got the delivery of my March 16 manufactured Ruby Red Figo 1.2 Ti-VCT Titanium+ two days ago. I was the lucky that the car arrived at the dealer's stockyard or else I would have had to wait till May End for the car. If that had been so, I would have been forced to cancel my booking. I guess Ford are axing their own foot by this self-imposed restricted production of the Figo twins.
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 17:49   #21
BHPian

Agree totally with GTO. Infact, I would go a step further and say, the Aspire is rather pointless. I'm totally against stretching hatchbacks into compact sedans. Admittedly, I'm against compact sedans altogether. For a person choosing a compact sedan, parameters like power, torque, dynamics and even looks are often the last things on his/her mind. I feel Ford had a better chance launching the full sized sedan version instead, as atleast the power figures are par for the City/Ciaz segment. The Compact Sedan segment is a tough nut to crack. Reliability, fuel efficiency and low running costs are what defines the segment. Rampant commercial use of cars of this segment, uninspiring looks and introduction of Compact SUVs are fast eating into the segment. More established players have already tried to crack this segment with little success. Some have failed magnificently. Apparently, the Aspire was destined to fail. Of-course, the Marutis are immune and continue to sell in tens of thousands.

As for the hatchback, it has all the potential to surpass it's predecessor. It is really hard to find any serious short-coming in the product. There are definite USPs as well. Power, safety, DCT, etc. It carries a bold and distinctive frontal look. The old Figo was reasonably accepted, so the stale demand cannot be attributed to poor perception as well. Might just be poor marketing and the fact that the side and rear profile merges unnoticed in the sea of Hyundai Grands hampering visible product differentiation.

Last edited by mi2n : 20th April 2016 at 17:52.
mi2n is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 17:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

When trying to be a mass market player by compromising on build quality/dynamics, Ford should have understood that they are making two mistakes.

One: They are losing the faithful customer base who liked Ford for what it was. So no one 'returning' to Ford again.

Second : By being mass market player, again, you don't have a differentiator compared to established players. How different is the Aspire compared to Xcent or Dzire ? Not much. So why would customers go to those cars if Maruti and Hyundai have better after sales service and resale value ?
NiInJa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 18:08   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Saw a post on Facebook figo group about halting all demos/promos/deliveries for the figo & aspire due to some impending engineering changes.

Wonder what this implies now! One more VW like story coming up? Hope not.
The same is posted here,

Ford cuts production target at plant in Sanand, Gujarat by 50%-ford20india20halt20sales20of20figo20and20aspire.jpg

Are they adding some features? Will have to wait for more information.
theredliner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 18:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Though it is still not clear what is brewing in Ford Motor India, It is very sad to see competent products like Figo and Aspire failing.
Some of the reasons could be:
1. Poor dealership experiences in the past, and present.
2. Perception among public regarding expensive Ford spares & poor service.
3. Mediocre handling. (Not a big factor though)
4. Lackluster petrol engine
5. Figo is based on the Ford KA platform, which is a city car (as per Autocar UK classification). It is competing against cars like Swift, I20, polo which are categorized as supermini. Probably this why it lags behind them a little bit in terms of premium-ness and dynamics. (I am just speculating )
It would have been a completely different story if Ford had brought Fiesta Hatchback instead of Figo. Fiesta hatch will runs rings around B2 hatches in many of departments.
6. Lackluster marketing & advertising. You have 100 horses under the bonnet. Shout that aloud!
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 18:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
How different is the Aspire compared to Xcent or Dzire ? Not much. So why would customers go to those cars if Maruti and Hyundai have better after sales service and resale value ?
The difference is the diesel engine my dear. Leagues ahead of the other two. You need to drive it to know what i am talking about!!
shahbaz.k is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 19:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

A neighbour is having a 2011 Ikon tdci that has run 2L+ km as of now. He bought a ford only because he got it at a huge discount when Ikon was discontinued. Apart from scheduled services, the additional replacements are clutch and water pump. When he starts the car everyday, i don't hear anything odd: just like new.

His relatives go wow at the build quality, ride and steering but when signing on the dotted lines, they always say ''but you can't go wrong with a Maruti, you know''.

That sums it up, i guess.

Ford, if you are reading this: No, you can't compete with Maruti/Hyundai. Sell/bring cars only from Europe, that which are well tested, keep a good margin to sustain while the handful of enthusiasts will keep buying your cars.

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2016 at 13:21. Reason: Typo
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 19:55   #27
BHPian

It's really sad to see this phase in Ford, but must agree the dealership experience is a mixed bag. They happen to say no to test drive and even if they are giving test drive, it seems as if they are doing us a favor.
Moreover Fords are built tough and I am a proud owner of one since last two years. Don't know where they are going wrong.

Regarding Fiesta hatch it would compete against honda jazz and still as of now, Ford does not have wide product range..
Practically speaking
1 Figo
2 Aspire
3 Ecosport
4 Endeavour

However, name any other brand and they have quite a substantial lineup
Honda
1 brio
2 amaze
3 jazz
4 city
5 mobilio
6 crv

Similarly Maruti and Hyundai.
My point is, if anyone enters any other company showroom, they have quite a lot of variety whereas Ford it's restricted.

I think they should work on their product line.

It would be hard to see if history repeats itself again.

All Ford needs is a strategy change and new strategy specifically for India.

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2016 at 13:23. Reason: Language
Jose.solorider is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th April 2016, 20:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahbaz.k View Post
The difference is the diesel engine my dear. Leagues ahead of the other two. You need to drive it to know what i am talking about!!
It might be, but many Indian customers don't keep a good engine as their first priority, as a overall product, the car is just a 'me too'. I had test driven the old Figo four years back and was mighty impressed with the car as a whole. The hydraulic steering, robust build quality and suspension setup was not comparable to any other hatchback then.

I liked it thoroughly but we did not buy it because it looked pretty dated (for me), plus my family members were having disagreements on owning a Ford. Now, when I read the reviews of the new Aspire, most of my hopes were dashed. I read about the petrol version and found no compelling reason why it is better than the Amaze !
NiInJa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 20:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Its just pure (bad) timing by Ford ! The launch was right in in the middle of launches which swept the market ( Creta, Baleno, Kwid ). I know they are in completely different segment, but they garnered so much attention and even pulled some attention from other new launches.
Plus, I don't see any CS other than Dzire doing huge numbers. Figo can do better though!
fz_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 03:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

Companies like Ford, Tata, Chevy, VW should join coaching classes from Maruti, Hyundai for sales and marketing. Lots of people here will feel bad but it is reality. They need to learn how to sell cars. Their showroom experience is just pathetic. Seems they are not interested at all. I personally experienced this 2 times in Pune at different dealers. Maruti and Hyundai are at least 10 times better. Also their marketing strtegy is really not at all understandable, Figo and Aspire are good cars but don't see much marketing from Ford, that's strange. I guess if marketed well and sold well, they can do better.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks