Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2016, 15:04   #1
Team-BHP Support

Ford issues a temporary hold on Figo & Aspire deliveries. EDIT : Recall issued

Ford has temporarily stopped deliveries of the Figo and Figo Aspire vehicles. The company has also asked its dealers to stop giving demonstrations of the cars to customers.

In response to our query regarding the matter, the company stated:
Quote:
We have issued a Dealer Demonstration and Delivery Hold notice while we investigate a software concern related to the Restraints Control Module with Figo and Figo Aspire vehicles. Ford remains committed to delivering world-class quality vehicles to our customers, and Dealer Demonstration and Delivery Holds are part of that commitment.
The Restraints Control Module is the electronic component responsible for controlling safety systems such as the airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners, fuel cut-off, etc.

Points to note:
  1. The reason Ford has stopped dealers from giving test-drives, is simply because the company is taking the safest route possible, rather than risking the minute chance of a resultant injury during a test-drive (due to this issue).
  2. It is still unclear whether this is a problem with a certain production batch, or the fundamental design (i.e. all vehicles produced so far). If it is the latter, we can expect a significantly large recall soon.
  3. Since Ford has officially mentioned that it is a "software concern", there's a possibility it could be fixed with a quick visit to a Ford service station.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st April 2016 at 15:39.
Aditya is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 21:47   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ford issues a temporary hold on Figo & Aspire deliveries. EDIT : Recall issued

The first link that comes up in a search for 'Restrained Control Module' is a recall Ford did in the US in 2014 for approximately 850,000 2013-2014 Ford C-MAX, Fusion, Escape and Lincoln MKZ vehicles in North America. Link

From that article

Quote:
In the affected vehicles, the restraints control module may experience a short circuit. If a short circuit occurs, the airbag warning indicator will illuminate. Depending on the location of the short circuit, the deployable restraint systems (e.g., airbags, pretensioners, side curtains) may not function as intended in the event of a crash, increasing the risk of injury. The short circuit may also affect the function of other systems that use data from the restraints control module, including stability control. In these cases, the corresponding warning indicator lamps would also illuminate.
Although the description shared for the Figo/Aspire case is not extensive, it looks very similar to the above.

Even if it is for a particular batch, I assume there will definitely be some cars on the road and hence wonder why the block is only for TD's and new deliveries. I think Ford should clarify further as soon as possible. Impact to deployment of safety features is a pretty serious concern.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 21st April 2016 at 21:51.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 00:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford issues a temporary hold on Figo & Aspire deliveries. EDIT : Recall issued

If they fear such a grave issue to not even allow demonstrations, what about the people who actually bought the cars and driving on the road now trusting in their car's safety systems?

They should have alerted all those owners to drive real slow to the service center and pray that no one hits them too meanwhile. No I'm not joking, if Ford really wants to stop even the minutest risk, why they should ignore the cars already out on the road?
thoma is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 07:48   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

As per a report in Times of India today, Ford is recalling 40k units of the Figo and Aspire for a software fix related to the restraint control module. The official announcement is expected today.

The fix is expected to take 2-3 hours and owners will be contacted individually. 40k cars seems roughly like every car sold since launch.

Good that Ford is responding quickly, but this will definitely impact the image and sales further.

Source: TOI
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why a software update would need 2-3 hours. Something's fishy here. Hope ford gives a proper explanation to us owners about what the real problem is. Don't I have a right to know if I have been risking my family's and my life all this while.
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Points to note:
  1. The reason Ford has stopped dealers from giving test-drives, is simply because the company is taking the safest route possible, rather than risking the minute chance of a resultant injury during a test-drive (due to this issue).
If this point were true, 40k cars at real grave risk. Ford should probably advise customers to not use their cars any further and send technicians to their door step to update the software.

EDIT: IF the glitch is severe, may be the owners should drive them without wearing seat belts until they fix?
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:08   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently its become a common sight seeing cars launched in a 'hurry'.
They take bookings even before the final car details are known,
Then they make customers wait to fake the demand
And later on they recall huge numbers to fix some problems.

A recall exercise being so expensive (Both money wise and brand building wise), why can't companies launch vehicles slowly but without any issues?
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:18   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

A recall exercise being so expensive (Both money wise and brand building wise), why can't companies launch vehicles slowly but without any issues?
Since its a software bug, perhaps it was difficult to find out in the pre-development stage. Difficult to tell without knowing the actual problem. If it were a hardware or a design issue, then yes, we can say that things were done in a hurry.

A recall will be an expensive thing, but sometimes software issues might be reported on field, once the vehicle goes on sale and each owner would have put it through unique conditions and situations where the most hidden issues will turn up.

I read somewhere that restraint control systems use AC triggering in order to fire up airbags and pretensioners so that any DC signals like short circuits and wrong connections will not blow up airbags. Not sure what is the case with Ford.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:38   #9

I got the below information from Ford Customer Care.
Existing owners can use the Ford India website to see if action is required for their cars.
Use your VIN to find out if you are in the ford service action
Go to the link below:
https://www.india.ford.com/owner
Put in your VIN.

Mine isn't. As of now.
nakulogale is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:12   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

There are some more issues which Ford hasnt really agreed to them being issues. One of my friends Figo hatch had some issues in the speedometer. What happens is that around 70 - 80 kmh there is a null point and then suddenly the speedo reading jumps. Its very wierd what happens in the speedo but when my friend reported this, Ford people & service centre were not able to find the issue, the initial blame went to ABS & some other components but finally Ford guys replaced his clutch twice (had removed and refitted the transmission thrice & also the instrument cluster also already but the problem still is there (though now reduced).
Ford & service centre guys told that this problem is with all Figo Trends & cannot be improved further. My friend asked them to give it in writing but they aren't.

As requested by my friend im attaching the letter he has written to Ford Customer Care;

Quote:
To whom so ever it may concern,
I have purchased ford Figo on 3rd March 2016..car has been purchased from Satyam ford thane..car reg no is MH 04 HF 3450 registered on name of Mrs Jyoti shah..on the day of delivery bumper was broken and was told that it would be done the next day..I received insurance of IDV 4.86 lac instead of 5.86 lakhs..on next day I sent the car to service centre where they applied fevi stick as the clip was broken..I noticed that and took a pic for proof..even second time same thing was done and finally bumper was replaced..then I drove car for 2 -3 days I noticed speedometer needle fluctuating on acceleration..I reported to service centre and they ordered new speedometer..problem was not solved, then was told that whole transmission would be replaced..even they replace transmission multiple times..still there was fluctuation of needle..after that I have been told that it is normal in all trend model as it does not have abs..then on first place I would like to know why did you change speedometer, transmission if it's normal..after doing all the above procedures my car clutch and stearing has become hard and my car keeps dragging to left for which wheel balancing and alignment was done..still problem is not solved..I have all pictures and videos as a proof..I have spoken to your executive from chennai at least 6 times and have asked him that I would like to speak to manager and every time I would be told he would call me back..I must have called Mumbai branch numerous time still I haven't received call from any of your head Mumbai operations..I want to speak to head of ford India or else would compelled to take strict legal action against the company..
Also post all the work done on the car the steering seems to have gone 'heavier' & pulling to the left. Seems they have messed up the alignment too.

All this happened in under 2000 kms of ownership. He informed me of this issue after he had changed the components and when Ford said they can't further solve it. I drove his car after all this & finally think that the issue is there but now liveable(speedometer issue). Also the steering has gone harder (feels like an hydraulic unit) much firmer than how my Figo's steering feels (which has 195/55 R15 upsize) where as he is running a stock setup. This is such a horror story !

Some WIP pictures of his car;

Ford issues a temporary hold on Figo & Aspire deliveries. EDIT : Recall issued-imageuploadedbyteambhp1461309290.908093.jpg
Ford issues a temporary hold on Figo & Aspire deliveries. EDIT : Recall issued-imageuploadedbyteambhp1461309398.363641.jpg

PS -Mods if possible merge my both the posts,
Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 22nd April 2016 at 14:46. Reason: Merging :)
karan561 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:37   #11
BANNED

Just checked mine and it's not involved in this recall. I guess the automatic versions are not involved in this case.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:56   #12
BHPian

Is it just me, or has Ford actually been recalling their vehicles for glitches too often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
IF the glitch is severe, may be the owners should drive them without wearing seat belts until they fix?
Will wearing a seat-belt that doesn't deploy in an accident cause more injury than not wearing it at all?
tibby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 13:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Does this apply to the older model of Figo? I guess not. But the figure of 40000 is leading me to believe it does. I don't think Ford has sold that many units of the new Figo and Aspire, hence my question.
Old 22nd April 2016, 13:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
I guess the automatic versions are not involved in this case.
Why would it not?
I am asking because I want more information about this glitch.
Even the customer care did not help me out with details.
I want to know if its a certain Production Batch which is affected.
I am very suspicious about the service action web portal.
FYI mine is an Figo Automatic as well.
Can all automatic Figo owners confirm?

Thank you.
Old 22nd April 2016, 13:47   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Something does not add up. If you add up the dispatch numbers of the Figo and Aspire since launch, it does not add up to 40,000. Maybe if you consider April dispatches also it may be close, but still is around 35-36K as per my rough calculation.

In any case with a 40K number it cannot be specific to a batch or time frame. So either the 40K number in the media is wrong and we need to wait for the official release from Ford. Or there is something more to it.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed