Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2016, 18:59   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Centre mulling cap on new car registration in all cities

Governments in India whether state or central have this strange habit of banning things to fix some problem, without planning any alternative for the things they ban. In other words, they hardly analyse the decision before thumping it down on the public. Meanwhile they create exceptions for VIPs so that government bigwigs are not affected by it.

The sun film banning is a classic example. Sun film were banned to avoid kidnapping and rape using cars. But even clear UV resistant film was banned, don't know why... meanwhile VIPs are exempted. What alternate means was provided to replace the "rape abetting" sunfilms? Nothing. One can only imagine the extra carbon footprint of all the fuel that is spent on keeping the cars cooler without any sunfilms.

Another recent thing I see is the ban of plastic covers in retail stores. They tried banning it 3 years ago in Bangalore. It didn't work because they provided no alternative at all. This month they have done it again, but this time most stores are provided with the alternative of using disposable grocery bags. But these disposable bags are useless for wet items, because it leaks like a sieve. So when I visit the meat/fish shop, they still use plastic bags. The government has not provided any solution for wet retail items. Another failure due to lack of planning.
Samurai is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 13:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

So whose palms do I grease to jump the RTO queue?

Sometimes I feel we inherently love authoritarian Marxist measures, but at the same time ourselves wish to be over and above such a rule.
The registration cap will only start a black market of a different proportion altogether.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 15:45   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The sun film banning is a classic example. Sun film were banned to avoid kidnapping and rape using cars. But even clear UV resistant film was banned, don't know why... meanwhile VIPs are exempted. What alternate means was provided to replace the "rape abetting" sunfilms? Nothing. One can only imagine the extra carbon footprint of all the fuel that is spent on keeping the cars cooler without any sunfilms.

Another recent thing I see is the ban of plastic covers in retail stores. They tried banning it 3 years ago in Bangalore. It didn't work because they provided no alternative at all.
The sun film issue is not well handled by the industry. The rules allow you to have tinted windows (of a particular range of light permissiveness) IF it's a solid tinted glass from the manufacturer.

I remember reading the rules thoroughly when it came out. Most countries don't allow sun films. Though as in our country, the manufacturer can install a tinted glass from the factory.

So this is completely the fault of our mfrs. Only top end models have this glass. What's stopping a Hyundai or a Maruti from giving this choice?

Nothing. Other than not having car buffs as employees.

The plastic bag issue can be solved using human psychology. Those who get their own bags must get a discount of say, 0.5%.
The ones who forget to get their own bags or generally avoid carrying will now get jealous. They'll get alarmed that "other's" are taking their money.
I assure you everyone will become environment friendly overnight.

There is one incongruous thing in this plastic bag issue. Thick Plastic Bags above X microns are allowed.
This is wrong. One must encourage thinner bags. When people find these thin bags giving way on their way out of stores, they'll automatically keep a bag or two in their cars.

These tweaks in the policy will reduce the usage of plastics.

Last edited by hangover : 25th April 2016 at 15:54.
hangover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 16:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
The sun film issue is not well handled by the industry. The rules allow you to have tinted windows (of a particular range of light permissiveness) IF it's a solid tinted glass from the manufacturer.

I remember reading the rules thoroughly when it came out. Most countries don't allow sun films. Though as in our country, the manufacturer can install a tinted glass from the factory.

So this is completely the fault of our mfrs. Only top end models have this glass. What's stopping a Hyundai or a Maruti from giving this choice?

Nothing. Other than not having car buffs as employees.
I have to disagree. What is stopping the manufacturers is the cost. This is the number one factor in our cost-conscious country. And sun films are legal throughout USA and Europe - they only specify the standards which must be adhered to for the film to be legal.
And as @Samurai said these bans never affect the VIP/Bureaucrats/Judges themselves.
The Police commissioner of a city can issue a letter allowing sun films - only you and me will not get it.
Old 25th April 2016, 16:38   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
This is wrong. One must encourage thinner bags. When people find these thin bags giving way on their way out of stores, they'll automatically keep a bag or two in their cars.
On the contrary, where thin bags are in circulation, people ask for 2 bags to make it more robust. More pollution that way.
Old 25th April 2016, 16:44   #21
BHPian

In our country, we need to look at multiple solutions that can help reduce road congestion and pollution. So something like an odd-even rule must be combined with congestion tax, usage permits (choose when you want to use your car the most and pay for it accordingly), getting older and unfit vehicles off the roads and so on.

Let's face it, it is better to optimise usage of existing infrastructure than looking at building more roads, flyovers and bridges. These take a lifetime to move from planning to completion and even then the purposes for which they were built are not met. So yes, improving public transportation is a must and that is something that the Government needs to address but as citizens can we opt for mass transit options like cabs, car pooling, share services provided by taxi aggregators, shuttle services, etc. Most of us own bikes, so using the bikes more often than the cars would definitely get cars off our roads. Our family has 2 cars and 2 bikes, the cars get used only on weekends when the whole family has to go out or when we travel - in fact only one of the cars gets used.

There are multiple cities like Mysore, Coimbatore and Ahmedabad that are a couple of steps away from major traffic and pollution issues so all of us need to act now. There is not necessarily one solution that will work 100 percent but to experiment with multiple ideas is definitely what the doctor ordered.

Parikshith
parik_ind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 17:01   #22
BHPian

Controlling new registration seems a not so good idea, We have a habit of finding ways to overcome these rules, in shortcuts.

But I think the idea of congestion charges and pollution tax (along with proper public transport) to enter main areas where pollution is mostly affected may reduce a small percent of the pollution.

In my knowledge Delhi have a fantastic public transport system in the form of Metro, still people crying out loud for public transport. I think its high time we should change our attitude, time to ask our self, are we really utilizing the available infrastructure properly ?

For eg. before complaining that our roads are blocked and are not wide enough, we should make sure we are following lane discipline, As I am experiencing, almost all the roads in Bangalore (sure will be the case in all cities), are loaded with idiots who creates lanes for themselves. at least 20-30% of blocks or delays at road can be reduced by following simple lane discipline and traffic rules itself (it also reduces the pollution indirectly, don't they ? )

I agree, govt is making some laws which seems stupid, but some of which can be avoided if we change our mentality.

Last edited by Asish_VK : 25th April 2016 at 17:02. Reason: Removed OT
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 17:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
In my knowledge Delhi have a fantastic public transport system in the form of Metro, still people crying out loud for public transport. I think its high time we should change our attitude, time to ask our self, are we really utilizing the available infrastructure properly ?
I agree, govt is making some laws which seems stupid, but some of which can be avoided if we change our mentality.
Regarding the Metro at Delhi, I wouldn't be too positive. I remember using the Delhi Metro in 2007 and then itself it was crowded. The lines for security check before getting in to the station was 30-4o people deep. My cousin stays in Delhi and on a visit to him last week, he was talking about the Odd-Even rule. I asked him about the Metro and he was saying that it is too crowded now. The coaches, since not ventilated, stinks with the closed quarters of profusely sweating people. Imagine a mumbai local train without the ventilation!

The buses are also crowded and the AC ones have the same issue as in the metro. In the heat of delhi, non-AC travel is unbearable.

So now faced with the prospect of travelling with the smell of someones armpit in your nose, the long wait at traffic jams seem the bearable option. For my cousin atleast.

For car-pooling, the number one excuse, about the other pool-ees time not matching ours, holds good.

I think unless they start having more cabins per trains or more frequent ones or double decker metros, Delhi is going to be hell.
Old 25th April 2016, 18:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

According to me the steps to a solution can be :

STEP 1 : Bring about discipline to the people by fines, education, beatings - whatever. Maybe make Army service mandatory for 2 years for all citizens between the ages of 18-24 like in some countries. We severely lack discipline and behave in an uncivilized manner and I think its high time it was beaten into the general populace. This will atleast partially improve the situation and give some breathing room while other solutions are being worked on

STEP 2 : As mentioned several times improve the public transport system and road infrastructure

STEP 3 : Work on reducing the population. Most of the problems in our country can be improved by having a lower population, atleast 2-30%. The logistics of everything becomes easier to manage.

In parallel we should also be working on developing Hybrid or all Electric vehicles, especially 'pod' type vehicles for 1-2 people who just need to commute from A to B such as to and from work. I know bikes exist aleady but I mean proper safe, comfortable compact 4 wheelers

Last edited by Mortis : 25th April 2016 at 18:36.
Old 25th April 2016, 20:02   #25
BHPian

What a load of rubbish!. Are we going back to stone age? A ban on buying a new car? Whats next? The schools are crowded so impose a ban on having children? Even the politburo of old communist Russia may have been better. You want to solve the congestion on roads and bring down pollution then make better and wider roads.

Provide viable and attractive alternatives to a car. Well maintained bus network which is on time daily or an efficient local train network. Provide separate roads for two wheelers. The traffic jams get worse when riders on their two wheelers try in vain to make their way through a stand still traffic. Unless that happens a ban on buying cars will only increase problems. The automobile industry, which is just showing some hopeful signs after years of timid growth, will die and people lose their jobs. When people can't get to work on time, the productivity of the country decreases exponentially.

A humble request to all those great law makers of our country: If you cant be part of the solution, then at least try not to be part of the problem.
Old 25th April 2016, 20:37   #26
BHPian

Yeah, so our pro-development government is now planning to bring back the license raj!

It would make sense to limit car registrations AFTER an alternative in the form of fast, reliable, comfortable and inexpensive public transportation is available.

But, if good public transportation is available, most people would choose it, and there would be no need to limit car registrations.
johnjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 20:42   #27
BHPian

When ever these type of restrictions come into place, a black market of sorts comes into existence. I can already imagine 'agents' at RTO offices saying 'saar there are restriction sir, but I can get it done for Rs 10K..saar'

When in a problem, as citizens, we have often raised to the occasion through action or inaction. As a result there are initiatives like odd -even rule, swatch bharat cess etc. etc.

Let us now ask, what have YOU, the govt. has done. You have separate departments of officers working full time to solve public problems. These guys fling out the lal batti for themselves as well as near and dear ones even for runs to supermarket. And they ask us not to take our cars out for legitimate reasons?

Why can't the road infrastructure be better ? Why can't you plan cities properly ? Public has a hard time already, Do you really take into account the discomfort of a hard working average indian before you dole out exceptions to special categories of population for your vote bank politics.

It is time we take a stand and ask the Govt. what have YOU done before subjecting ourselves to further 'BAN's in name of public welfare..
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 23:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Your knowledge seems to be quite limited. You need to be part of Delhi NCR to experience the public transport. Also, when you are here, the definition of proper utilisation of infrastructure will change.

Quote:

Mentality does not change by itself. There need to be pepper enforcement to change it. There is 2000 fine on breaking odd even rule and Traffic police is making most of it. They just can't justify spending hours in catching 20 red light jumping guys and add same 2000 to state treasure, can they? They need to have many more policemen on road and stringent fines to bring discipline on road.

On question of limiting new registration, they should start with the polyurethane and political parties.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 07:58   #29
BHPian

Someone can always go to other city and buy there & use it in Delhi or Bengaluru - what will GOI do?

It should provide better public transport system & make it viable for everyone.
Old 26th April 2016, 08:07   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I haven't been to Delhi but how is this a solution at all? The govt failed to provide adequate roads and public transport and now they are forcing people to stop using their vehicles? This just indicates total failure of Govt.
Delhi roads are like the best in the country. I've never been to any place which has such wide roads across the city.

Yes public transport needs to improve and I think it might see improvement this year as govt plans to get 3000 more buses this year. This is a problem generating over many years, so unfair to blame new govt that came last year.
greatestmj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks