Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2016, 17:54   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Hi Samba, Did you get to drive it in / around the city? I'm also keen to understand if this could be the only vehicle in the garage which means it is drive-able and fuss free in the city too. Comparable to say a Safari Storme? A decent FE of course would be a significant plus. Thanks!

Yes i drove it around 7-8 kms in the city. The car picks up speed effortlessly and there is no turbo lag. The controls are light. Be it the clutch, gear shift or steering. The steering feedback is good too. The turning radius is more than adequate for a vehicle of this size so squeezing in city traffic never felt a problem. Reversing this long truck is easy too though a parking sensor/camera is highly recommended. I have no clue about the FE. I have not checked it and forgot to ask the showroom guys too.

Now if you want to keep a single vehicle in that case a Safari Storme will make more sense. Heart says D-max V-corss but brain says Storme.

Reasons-

The ride quality of a storme should be more complaint.

The interiors are more luxurious in a storm with loads of features.

A storme can ferry 7-8 people if required.

Tata service centers are more easy to find.

Suppose you drive down to a wedding party or to a shopping mall in a V-cross am sure 90% people will have weird look at you without even understanding the vehicle.

Policemen will target this vehicle assuming you are driving a commercial truck on private registration though matters can be resolved! Similarly you need to be careful at the toll booths, that they do not charge you as a commercial vehicle seeing the loading bay in the rear. Though all the matters can be resolved by showing the RC book but there are chances you get harassed at the first instance.

But still at the end, the joy of driving this truck negates all these negatives! As i said it will be heart vs brain! I in your place will keep a hatch back for the city drives and buy the V-Cross!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanaj View Post
Anyone know if the boot-lid and lining is installed at factory or installed by dealer if opted for these accessories. I think it is installed by dealer, wanted to confirm though.
As far as i know, dealers will install it. I may be wrong but from what the showroom guys told i felt it will be fitted in the showroom workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post

2> Offroad though, the vehicle needed a bit more pedal travel than we require on our vehicles.

3> The Mahindra's on the same slope were effortless. Even the newbie offroader in the blue scorpio impressed. Both in forward as well as reverse direction. The Mahindra's pulled up the slope in 4L-2ND without drama, the V-cross required first gear on 4Low.

The answer is yes. V-cross was better in the ride department at highway speeds across sections that caused vertical movement. A loaded Scorpio will ride better, so will a loaded V-cross. But on almost empty vehicle, back to back drives, similar speeds, the V-cross displayed a far better composure and ride compared to a Last gen 4WD scorpio (my own, which is not ill maintained atleast in the suspension department).
Excellent review and comparison.

Last edited by Samba : 19th May 2016 at 18:02.
Samba is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 10:53   #212
Senior - BHPian

Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Just spoke to the showroom guys in Sanpada. He says the car is up for demonstration at some place in Khar, I enquired about the test drive and he said 'Can't give you a test drive, you can look at it', I asked when the test drive will be available and he said 'Isuzu is world renowned and so many customers have just booked it without a test drive' etc etc, I said I wanted one and without which I won't be able to book, he said 'Its a TC number plate and they have asked government for a special place in Chembur or Navi Mumbai where in they can give customers a test drive of the V cross but that has not been successful, so we don't know when we will be able to provide the test drive.

Looks like the initial hooplah has gone over their head. When you launch a new segment of vehicles, you promote it even more by giving test drives and making a customer experience your product, what these people are doing it, saying 'This is it, pay the money and take it, no test drive and jazz will be given'. Last time I called he said there is going to be one vehicle in Mumbai for 4 days for everyone to see, then it will move to some other city, like really ? Isuzu, are you even serious about selling this?

Losing interest in this thing now. We were almost ready with the cheque book to get this going if we liked it, but now looks like we'll look elsewhere. Before sale experience is like this, I don't know what happens after the sale when it comes to service.
humyum is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 11:17   #213
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Got to test drive the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross.
Samba Da, great crisp review. Many thanks.

I am totally smitten by this vehicle and really wish to own one by next year maybe. My requirements won't be of hardcore offroading, at max a few stream/river crossing or maybe driving on snow somewhere in the remote corner of India once or twice a year or so that's about it. I will not be using it as a daily driver either. But the length of the car worries me a lot, specially when I think of taking a series of hairpin bends in some Himalayan road. The sheer size will be a fly in the ointment, or will it be? Considering that Safari, Scorpio, Bolero Pick-ups, Innova and the likes are favourite for the hilly jaunts, a few cms of V-Cross's length won't be that big a deal I hope so.

But for such limited usage, why should I pay 15 lakhs ! Why not a Gypsy plus a hatchback/compact sedan to suit all my needs?

Damn, being car-guy's we are always in such confusions.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 11:40   #214
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Got to test drive the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross. Thanks to my friend Mr Samresh Das for inviting me for the test drive.
Samba nice crisp report. I have taken a few pics and videos from your report and created a thread on the off-roading session with the V-Cross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
A good review. However a few points from the drivers seat both on-road as well as offroad and am sure both Blackpearl and myself can actually comment on these.
I have created a thread on this in the 4x4 excursion.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...cross-4x4.html
BlackPearl is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 13:39   #215

Gents, a bit of an advise for those who are planning to put the plastic bed liner on the load bay of this Double cab (which is what it basically is, no matter what the Isuzu marketing whizz kidzz call it). Over a period of time, I have noticed rust formation in the edges between the load bay and the plastic bed liner and what that does thereafter is everyone's guess. Water finds its way between these two layers during washing/rain etc and does not dry out easily.
I would much rather apply generous quantities of rubberized paint neatly. The paint also acts as a non slip floor for items stowed away in the load bay, keeps the rust away and in general is a better was to keep your load bay hassle free.
Old 20th May 2016, 14:03   #216
BHPian

Given that the Xenon is slightly more powerful and also shorter than the V Cross, would that make a better buy than the V Cross? It would anyway come with all the benefits of the safari ( better A.S.S. coverage etc) minus the imposing looks of the V Cross and also a comparatively shorter rear overhang
Old 20th May 2016, 16:28   #217
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Just spoke to the showroom guys in Sanpada. He says the car is up for demonstration at some place in Khar, I enquired about the test drive and he said 'Can't give you a test drive, you can look at it', I asked when the test drive will be available and he said 'Isuzu is world renowned and so many customers have just booked it without a test drive' etc etc, I said I wanted one and without which I won't be able to book, he said 'Its a TC number plate and they have asked government for a special place in Chembur or Navi Mumbai where in they can give customers a test drive of the V cross but that has not been successful, so we don't know when we will be able to provide the test drive.

Looks like the initial hooplah has gone over their head. When you launch a new segment of vehicles, you promote it even more by giving test drives and making a customer experience your product, what these people are doing it, saying 'This is it, pay the money and take it, no test drive and jazz will be given'. Last time I called he said there is going to be one vehicle in Mumbai for 4 days for everyone to see, then it will move to some other city, like really ? Isuzu, are you even serious about selling this?

Losing interest in this thing now. We were almost ready with the cheque book to get this going if we liked it, but now looks like we'll look elsewhere. Before sale experience is like this, I don't know what happens after the sale when it comes to service.
Test drive cars are going to be available by 1st or 2nd week of June. Me and a bhpian drove the same engined 2 door dmax commercial vehicle and are very satisfied with the performance of the engine, gearbox, braking and ride quality.

Do wait till june, drive it and take a call for yourself.
bhp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 20:12   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Given that the Xenon is slightly more powerful and also shorter than the V Cross, would that make a better buy than the V Cross? It would anyway come with all the benefits of the safari ( better A.S.S. coverage etc) minus the imposing looks of the V Cross and also a comparatively shorter rear overhang
No way! The Xenon may have more power on paper but the Isuzu's motor is any day far better in terms of acceleration, refinement and tractability. The Isuzu's cabin is higher grade in terms of quality and so is the build. Xenon may have more extensive A.S.S. coverage but the Isuzu is anyday more reliable.
IshaanIan is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 03:09   #219
Senior - BHPian

Humyum: I would recommend waiting a little for the hooplah to die down, sales people will come down to earth. Faltoo nautanki by those folk at the moment.

Centaur: Maybe more powerful but think about the service of the xenon, not a good thing to even dream about.

Waiting to see a couple of owners out here doing what it's meant to do.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 10:32   #220
BHPian

Any work on what the loading bay cover will cost?

The vehicle has all the potential and the only concern I have is the availability of parts and service. Not sure how is Isuzu planning to mitigate that.
Old 21st May 2016, 16:24   #221
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajender View Post
Any work on what the loading bay cover will cost?

The vehicle has all the potential and the only concern I have is the availability of parts and service. Not sure how is Isuzu planning to mitigate that.
Around 100-110k for the loading bay cover at the isuzu dealership.
Old 21st May 2016, 18:22   #222
BHPian

Quote:
A differential lock is missing and on asking they do not have any plans to introduce it as of now.
I found this link explaining why the new d-max discontinued LSD. It says new d-max got Traction Control System (TCS) instead of LSD. But I do not see the mention of TCS feature in the v-cross brochure. Does it mean the Indian model neither have LSD nor TCS (cost cutting?)

Old 21st May 2016, 20:06   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
It says new d-max got Traction Control System (TCS) instead of LSD.
In most newer 4x4 systems, a combination of TCS/ESP is replacing the LSD. TCS will serve the same purpose by locking the wheel instead of locking the differential like LSD does. The end result is the same. The free spinning wheel gets locked giving power to the wheel with traction.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 20:59   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
In most newer 4x4 systems, a combination of TCS/ESP is replacing the LSD. TCS will serve the same purpose by locking the wheel instead of locking the differential like LSD does. The end result is the same. The free spinning wheel gets locked giving power to the wheel with traction.
Thanks for the explanation.

D-Max V-cross (Indian model) spec says "4WD with High Torque mode". I think High Torque mode is referring to 4L mode.

I wanted to know whether TCS is missing in D-Max V-cross Indian model (which exists in international model specification). Without TCS/LCD, how efficient 4x4 would be on V-cross.
Old 21st May 2016, 21:05   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I found this link explaining why the new d-max discontinued LSD. It says new d-max got Traction Control System (TCS) instead of LSD. But I do not see the mention of TCS feature in the v-cross brochure. Does it mean the Indian model neither have LSD nor TCS (cost cutting?)
New D Max gets rear differential lock instead of rear LSD in some markets like South Africa and Australia, along with TCS which is part of ESP package. On paper TCS works as good as diff locks, but in practice it does not, it also cuts engine power along with selective braking which is undesirable for many situations.
.anshuman is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks