Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2016, 21:53   #256
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
For all those who are looking to buy a pickup, please understand the compromises of buying and living with one. First it's a 4 seater, and no amount of jugaaad will change it into a seven seat uv. The rear bed is for goods, one can't carry passengers in it, unless your friends and relatives like travelling in the back of a truck. Second the rear cab even if enclosed can't be a like a car, there is no aircon , there are leaf springs and the bed sits on and behind the rear axle. Unless one wants to carry big/awkward sized packages a pickup is of no use to a person. Because of its long length it will not fit on narrow twisties and actual dirt tracks. Nor will it be comfortable with a load carrying leaf spring rear.
Be prepared for a light rear end which is prone to fish tailing at high speeds and no loads. Parking is a pain with the uv length of over five meters. Can you live with it as a primary car? I wouldn't. However I know of people who drive to Leh on 100cc mopeds as well...
I think you meant 5 seater. Yes it is purely a 5 seater and load bay cannot be converted to add seats.

I have found that I can navigate traffic better with bigger and Taller Macho vehicles rather than with a sedan or hatch. So Safari and Aria were easier for me than Laura especially but also i10 and to some extent ecosport.

That said parking will be a PAIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post

Say i don't own a farm but have some extra bucks to splurge, gladly accept the reasonable comfort of a well made truck with coil shocks up front, loves the cool factor of a macho pickup truck, prospects of kitting it up, a fun loving nuclear family which shares the same interests, a love for broken roads & acceptable drivability on paved ones & maybe an occasional loaded trip to the unknown, will it be of no use to me? I'd say it'll be of every use to me. The V-cross is just perfect for that, where xenon xt or scorpio getaway doesn't even show up as options.

Can it be daily Indian city ride? Why should it be, it's like expecting a train to float on water. One might already have another vehicle for that. Not every person will dig pick ups so most people who frequent this specific thread must be doing so knowing exactly what they want from the product. Remember this is not touted as an alternate to comfy spoiling SUVs or primary or even secondary car, it's lifestyle class, a different breed.
For certain types of individuals it may even be the right daily ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Mohanraj, Can I ask if this is the offering in India or the international offering? In other words, are these accessories available in India through the Isuzu dealer? If so, do you have any information on the prices of the canopy items?

I beg to disagree on the DMax Vcross being a strict 4-seater. I looked very closely and drove briefly the Isuzu test vehicle and I can confidently say it has superb interior space as compared to any 5-seater car or SUV out there. Compared to the likes of Duster, Vitara Brezza etc., it has way superior interior space in all directions. The width of the rear seat squab, height of the cabin/headroom and the leg room are all very good.

Essentially, let us remember this vehicle comes from the class of mid-size pick-ups internationally such as the Toyota Hilux and Ford Ranger. D-max competes with these vehicles head on in most markets and is often higher rated by Auto magazines and reviewers there on various parameters. Hilux and Ranger are the base platforms for the Toyota Fortuner/Innova and the Ford Endeavour respectively. In fact one would be hard put to tell the difference between a Hilux, an Innnova Crysta and a Fortuner if you are sitting on the driver's seat, the interiors are identical up to the first two rows.

So it can easily seat 5 people in better comfort than most if not all of the 5-seater cars and SUVs out there. Of course, I am not comparing it to seven seaters like Innova or Fortuner. Also, there is of-course a slightly lower recline angle of the rear seat, which will will be the case for a pick-up always, but this not too bad at all from my driving test.
Yes 5 seats comfortably as mentioned by you the rear seats are good. Rear seat incline is just about OK. But the rear suspension is different from what an SUV 7 seater would have and hence makes for a bouncy ride.

Checked it out again today.

To add:

Sound of the Music Sustem is superb with adequate bass and no distortions or rattles. Sub not reqd.

ACC control quality is superb. Even better than the Endy which is leagues ahead in most other aspects though.

Carryboy: Dealer will NOT procure and provide. They will though divert to a local guy who will make something that they feel is similar but obviously will be of quite poor quality. Disappointing.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2016, 09:41   #257
BHPian

Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Quote:
Mohanraj, Can I ask if this is the offering in India or the international offering? In other words, are these accessories available in India through the Isuzu dealer? If so, do you have any information on the prices of the canopy items?
I have no idea of the prices, I am also interested to know .
As ACM mentioned that he had seen a brochure at Mumbai showroom, I was searching for a brochure/options and found this one on the carryboy website

Carryboy website says, they can export to over 150 countries. Bangalore dealer was also telling me that they can import several models (canopy/lid), price may be more if exported through dealer, because they may also add profit in addition to additional cost (just my guess).

Not sure if importing through a carryboy dealership is cheaper.
Old 5th June 2016, 20:14   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

One area of concern is the transport /storage of this vehicle during its launch in the middle of the monsoon season. It will be standing in open dealer yards for days and the bed is unprotected. Although it is painted, there will be only so much corrosion protection that can be there without the lid, especially if there is stagnant water on the bed. Hope Isuzu is thinking through this and will have a solution.
Old 6th June 2016, 10:42   #259
BHPian

I am seriously looking at this as an option for carrying bikes. can somebody shed some light as to the cargo capacity and if it would be possible to carry something like a Royal Enfield bullet? I agree with many people who have mentioned that this is not really a primary vehicle. if the intent is to haul large cargo around then its a great option.
Old 6th June 2016, 11:38   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcustoms View Post
I am seriously looking at this as an option for carrying bikes. can somebody shed some light as to the cargo capacity and if it would be possible to carry something like a Royal Enfield bullet? I agree with many people who have mentioned that this is not really a primary vehicle. if the intent is to haul large cargo around then its a great option.
Yes, of course you can carry bikes on this and my guess is that two Enfields should fit on the Load Bay. The load bay has a load bearing capacity of 350 Kg. However to get the bikes on and off you would need some sort of ramp arrangement.
Old 6th June 2016, 11:47   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for asking but one generally carries dirt-bikes on such pick-ups. Not the regular bikes. That said, I'm sure Isuzu can take the weight but it is the length of Enfield that you need to check.
Old 6th June 2016, 12:17   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Sorry for asking but one generally carries dirt-bikes on such pick-ups. Not the regular bikes. That said, I'm sure Isuzu can take the weight but it is the length of Enfield that you need to check.
thanks Behmont, Pgsagar

I make custom bikes mostly based on Royal Enfields so the basic criteria would be to carry bullets. 350kg is just about enough for 2 bikes but I think based on the pics it looks like I can carry at the most one bike placed diagonally.

Just to give you some perspective last year I ended up spending close to 50K on transporting my bikes across India so I am seriously looking at alternative mode of transportation. A more fanciful option would be to go for something like an Endy and build a trailer but i am really not sure what the norms are for hauling trailers in India.

cheers
Krish
Old 6th June 2016, 12:24   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks Behmont, Pgsagar

I make custom bikes mostly based on Royal Enfields so the basic criteria would be to carry bullets. 350kg is just about enough for 2 bikes but I think based on the pics it looks like I can carry at the most one bike placed diagonally.

Just to give you some perspective last year I ended up spending close to 50K on transporting my bikes across India so I am seriously looking at alternative mode of transportation. A more fanciful option would be to go for something like an Endy and build a trailer but i am really not sure what the norms are for hauling trailers in India.

cheers
Krish
I think 2 bikes would fit in easily inside the load of the Dmax, also the 350 kg rated weight limit is just for 'Legal' purposes, looking at the international versions, its more like a ton.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 12:41   #264
KMT
BHPian

cheers
Krish[/quote]

Hi I use trailers regularly in rural conditions.
If you are not used to them, you will find them hard to control. They are much more expensive than you imagine and for highway use you will need a braked one with an RC book. In short, drop the idea.

A Bolero or Xenon pickup carries 2+ tons here in Coorg. So weight won't be your problem, you need to see the load bed dimensions.
You can definitely put 2 bikes in with the tailgate kept open, maybe 3 with some frame to hold the bikes.
KMT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 16:11   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

International versions have carrying capacity of 1 ton. It was intentionally mentioned as a lower number in Indian version so that it can tick the boxes on rules for personal versus commercial vehicles.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 10:09   #266
BHPian

I don't think 3 enfields are possible even with open tailgate. Here is a pic of KTM

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1465274330.222172.jpg
ijeet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 16:11   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
I don't think 3 enfields are possible even with open tailgate. Here is a pic of KTM

Attachment 1514896
ijeet, thanks for posting that picture. yes I also believe it would be difficult to fit more then one bike. Looking at your picture it looks like the bike is going to stick out in the back a bit. If that is true then I am wondering if its worth the trouble of buying this pick up. Going cross-country with the bike sticking out like that may not be the best option for custom bikes!
Old 8th June 2016, 16:42   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting piece about suspension kit available in UK which is a plug and play install. It claims to take the ride height up by 40 mm, increasing off-road prowess and improving on-road ride quality. I wonder if these kind of accessories will be available in India.

http://eurekar.co.uk/articles/2016-0...or-isuzu-d-max
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 19:32   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting piece about suspension kit available in UK which is a plug and play install. It claims to take the ride height up by 40 mm, increasing off-road prowess and improving on-road ride quality. I wonder if these kind of accessories will be available in India.

http://eurekar.co.uk/articles/2016-0...or-isuzu-d-max

There are many suspension kits available in UK as well as Australia which can raise the height. Ironman can provide in India too, it should cost you around 90k to 150k depending on the types of shockers etc if you go by the prices for fortuner kits. Fitting suspension kits is usually less than a day job. My only worry is how Isuzu react to these kits when it comes to warranty.

-ijeet
Old 12th June 2016, 11:05   #270
BHPian

Quote:
International versions have carrying capacity of 1 ton. It was intentionally mentioned as a lower number in Indian version so that it can tick the boxes on rules for personal versus commercial vehicles.
thanks, sounds quite logical, unless any structural changes in the Indian made vehicle, which may really suggest for lower payload. any official or unofficial comments or technical reference from Isuzu side ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed