Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2016, 09:21   #391
Team-BHP Support

Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Quote:
who can source the bedliner for DMAX Space Cab
We do own space cab but don't have a Bedliner, by chance dealer won't carry stocks whenever I enquired and when they later called I missed. We use thick rubber sheet and when it gets damaged we change with new one
Old 9th August 2016, 22:41   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
D-Max is also locally assembled now from components unlike CKD kits in past , in fact engine for D-Max is being made here unlike V Cross which comes from Thailand & will have lower power output than the launch vehicles . Besides both vehicles have different appeal and usage. They will also have a 4 door version of Dmax but why do you need this vehicle? Both models are for very different usage, you can probably not haul cement bags in V-Cross but can carry your heavy professional tools with ease. If you don't need a new car specifically, there might be some people in the market selling last Year D-Max who have bought and dressed up for personal use. Will be hard but should be possible to get.

Yes, the jerk is there but I am not too worried. They will surely find the reason and it should be an easy fix. It can be either a part sourced locally or some adjustments done differently during local assembly as engine is from Thailand and they have a clean record overseas

Congrats on the vehicle. I guess you got the stereo fitted from the same guys I got mine. Is the calling function working on your pioneer stereo ?
Old 10th August 2016, 13:10   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

The D Max performing some crazy stunts;

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-001.jpg

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-003.jpg

Image source
karan561 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 13:26   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
The D Max performing some crazy stunts;
Dear karan561,

My thought - is this the 'same' specs that will be offered?
If 'yes' - then will it mean that maniacs will get to do even 'madder' stunts?

Just kidding! But some times I do feel that the circus and/or movie industry lost some real stuntsmen - who landed up on the roads!

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 15:13   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear karan561,

My thought - is this the 'same' specs that will be offered?
If 'yes' - then will it mean that maniacs will get to do even 'madder' stunts?

Just kidding! But some times I do feel that the circus and/or movie industry lost some real stuntsmen - who landed up on the roads!

Girish Mahajan

But these pictures are from Australia from an event held on a closed course with professional drivers at the wheel
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 15:44   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

But these pictures are from Australia from an event held on a closed course with professional drivers at the wheel
Dear karan561,

Ah-Ha! Do you mean to say that Indian drivers are inferior to Australian professional drivers?

All this on a lighter side hum!

But - really - thanks for the prompt reply to my stupid comment.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 19:27   #397
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: Isuzu D-Max

Since i cant see a more comprehensive review on the D-Max by an owner (correct me if I'm wrong) may i step in and do the honours?!

To start with it is a vehicle with solid pedigree in the commercial and the SUV section. Then I'm not sure it should be included in the 'Commercial Vehicles' section because then that would be a regular D-Max pickup. This is essentially a life style vehicle and i do not know of one person who would buy this to lug their goods from or to anywhere. Yes that could be an added advantage when wanting to carry stuff but if someone wanted to get a pick-up truck why would one go in for a V-Cross when the D-Max is already doing duty? So this vehicle being included in the commercial vehicles section is not correct but then thats a call and decision of the Mod team.

Coming back to my humble review sans pictures (because pictures have been loaded to the T and i do not want to bore you guys to death again and partly also because i haven't got the best pics of my vehicle, still will at the end of the review post a collection of pics of my vehicle.

Yes this is the vehicle i had been looking at since the time my good friend Dr. Tejas Kothari mentioned about it. I was not even in town when this was announced and one of my good friends called me up in Spain to tell me that Isuzu has announced the D Max twin cab as the V-Cross and it was available for Rs. 12.29 L Ex Showroom New Mumbai. We spoke for about 1.5 Minutes after which he went and paid the booking deposit on my behalf for the vehicle at JMD Isuzu, promising me the first vehicle in Mumbai. The fact that he knew the owners must have something to do with this promise which the dealers honoured when it came to deliveries.

My vehicle is Black, the colour of my choice. White is something i don't really go for, i thought it makes the vehicle look too mild. Silver and the Brown were not to my liking. Would have loved to see the blue they have in Thailand but then this is India. They may have done research to find out what colours would be the natural choice of their prospective buyers. But did they have a prospective list?? I doubt, this being the first of its type and segment.

The Vehicle is great to drive. NVH levels are really as low as one would not expect - but they are. Interiors are very clean and pleasing. Would love to see black interiors but for some reason they chose beige fabric seats with a bit of lurex glitter in them ...why??!!!! The front seats are very comfortable, for both the driver and passenger, while the rear ones could do with a bit of a slant at the rear. I'm talking about the vertical angle. It is too erect for my liking. Albeit the rear seats while spacious in the leg room and side space department, considerably lack thigh support, but then they dont expect anyone to sit behind, still would be a small price to pay to add a bit on the rear seats to enhance thigh support.

Lots of cubby holes and places to put bottles and oddities. A couple of lighter or accessory sockets help. They should have given a USB charging slot like in the Fortuner. Helps considerably. These are not cost cutting measures IMHO, they are something that the designers didn't think of. They made a life style vehicle and shod it with Pick-up bare essentials.

The biggest issue is that there is no rear camera or even a parking sensor. Huge mistake for a 17 foot giant. I feel it also needs a front fender/wing split mirror for parking. Something that I'm surely going to put, especially since I've upsized the tyres and rims.

What this vehicle lacks or what i would have liked to see in the V-Cross:
• No Rear Towing or tying points. Yes thats right, nothing. so if u have to yank your vehicle from the rear, put a tow strap on the axles...... maybe!! What were they smoking??!!
• Xenon Lights
• DRLs
• Rear Camera/Parking Sensor
• Rear Tailgate has no lock
• Front Wing split mirror for kerb parking
• Rear seat thigh support and a better angle for the rear seats
• Black Interiors perhaps with faux leather or leatherite rather than Fabric

As you crank the starter the 2.5 Intercooled engine comes to life with a pleasant purr. The cold engine clatter is well enveloped by the brilliant NVH deadening padding, something which other diesels should take a note from. The clutch is considerably light and the engine pulls effortlessly; but the first is not tall so one needs to shift to second soon. This is hardly an impediment because the torquey oil burner is happy to chug along in the second gear from standstill also, thus making stop and go traffic driving not a huge issue. Someone said there is no dead pedal... well, there is... and it's damn useful. This small little thing can really make you that extra bit comfortable and i wonder why a lot of other passenger vehicles don't have dead pedals. Does it really cost that much? There is a definite turbo lag but nothing one will not expect. The engine comes into its element post 1800-2000 rpm and it reaches double and triple digits very very comfortably. Power delivery is very very smooth and linear giving the impression many times that you are going slower than you actually are. I actually checked the speed on the GPS and also on my phone app and was relieved that they all read the same numbers. So two thumbs up on that account. The steering is weighted properly, that's probably why most people find it a bit hard but it eases out with speed, still its one of the better feels not like a typical Jap steering wheel which can be turned with your little finger. I, for the first 10,000 kms want to keep driving it within the 3000 rpm level. Nothing that the company had said one must do. It's just my own logic for a minor running in for the first 1000 kms. Am also making sure that the turbo has enough time to stop spooling before i shut the engine off, maybe 20 seconds but it hasn't been driven hard enough for me to warrant this as yet, still do try the stunts.

The four wheel electronic fly by wire is a dream to use. To click from 2WD to 4WD High all you need is to flick the knob if you are within 80 km/hr. To shift into low however you need to bring the vehicle to a standstill. Also i noticed, give it 5-8 seconds after you turn the knob to the 4WD Low. I guess it takes the message to the transmission a bit slowly. If you try to leave the clutch within this time the vehicle almost takes a jump ahead as if wanting to do a wheelie. Give it a few seconds as i have mentioned above and all is well. Not a huge issue but i noticed it so mentioned. Overtaking is very smooth, no earlier planning, no shifting to lower gears, just press the throttle and the Jap takes you across whatever it is you want to leave behind. Just be careful while tight overtaking and thats because of its length. This one would get used to pretty soon. Drives like a car. The seating positing is nice and high and the buttons with the exception of the OVRM controls are all within arms reach and ergonomically placed. So they've got the Ergonomics right. Even the black dash is a good option specially keeping the glare out of the drivers eye when driving in the sun. Fit and finish is top quality or rather the best you could expect in this price bracket, or even in the higher one. Four blank switch slots in the dash tell you there is probably place for future add on mods, light bars, USB charger and possibly lockers.

Most people have been complaining of a kind of a black spot in some gears and others have been complaining about the same issue in every gear...... frankly i haven't experienced it, maybe because I've not pushed it above 3000-35000 rpm in any gear, but that i will find out only after 1000 kms have been clocked. This i reckon can be a tuning issue or rather a de-tuning issue. They have detuned the engine as is a popular custom for India bound vehicles because of the fuel issues. I suspect that could be the problem but cannot comment more as I have not experienced it. Maybe I'm one of the lucky guys to not have this glitch in my truck. For those who have experienced it kindly elaborate for us to know what is exactly the problem.

Suspension:
Front double wishbone and rear leaf springs. Obvious set up. For the layman, something like the Thar so you can't really shackle lift it. This will require a serious kit and some Moolah. With a 220 mm clearance it's higher than most SUVs. The ride is very smooth although with the lunar craters on our roads, it does get a bit disturbed on a straight track. The rear i thought would be very jumpy and wobbly but surprisingly it is not. Looks like Isuzu have paid special attention to this aspect. Of course with a loaded back, it rides like a dream but even with an empty rear, which is going to be the case mostly, it rides pretty well. It handles potholes and bad roads with equal aplomb. Smoothens out the road for you. I did actually upgrade on the rims and tyres. 17" negative offset steel rims and 265/65/17 shoes from Continental (Cross Contacts All Terrains) do their part well on tarmac as well as off-road. I still have to try these under true off-roading conditions but what little i could do, I'm quite impressed.

What is not OE:
Whatever you would like is not OE. I'm told dealers are trying to push the crappy touch screen system for 40K. No Navigation and of course no reverse camera though I'm not sure if there is a provision for a camera feed. That much money will buy you a very decent deck with all the bells and whistles elsewhere. Add 10-12K more and you will get a top of the line Pioneer with everything.

The Bedliner costs 25K and the D Box costs a whopping 1.0L with the dealer. Try the grey market, should be considerably cheaper say by almost 20-30%.
No Reverse camera or even sensors is almost like sacrilege. This is a must have. an aftermarket camera in the range of Rs. 3000-3500 should do the trick. As the rear bumper is not fibre but metal, drilling would be an issue for the sensors, therefore, the camera above is the best bet as it comes with built in sensors.
No Mats nor even an option as yet. What can i say. Even Opera house does not yet have the mats for this vehicle. Make do with some which are available. The carpet is beige so mats are absolutely a must, specially in the rains. My advice is get all accessories from the grey market, will save you a pretty packet.

Basically, for the price its a FANTASTIC deal. Four doors, A/C, Power Windows, Electrically operated and folding OVRMs, central locking (though I'd have liked them to have an auto lock mode depending on speed setting), Electronic Shift on the Fly 4WD, good ground clearance, very good looks..... what else can you get in this price??!! I believe it's not even available easily now and that they either have or are going to increase the price by at least 70-75k. Still cheap if you ask me for the car you get.

Looks: SOLD. Thats what one gets as soon as one sees the vehicle. For me it was love at the first sight and that too on the net. I hadn't even seen it in person. Will save you from the talk on the lines and design style a la TV Car Shows and will get straight down to the three dimensions. The Front looks killer. I thought the Fortuner was good looking but when i park both close to each other, this is a far better looking Face. They could have given integrated DRLs into the head lamp but whatever. Maybe the face lift if and when it comes, will have that.

The Side Profile: Looong is what comes to mind. even longer than the Fortuner. I love it. Always wanted a Pick up, now I've got it so am not complaining. Also for someone who learnt to drive on a V8 1961 Chevy Belair and that too LHD, I'm happy with this truck.

The Rear: I dont like it. Apart from the fact that the tail gate screams its a pick up i don't like the light cluster or the somewhat sloping towards a triangle look. Worse is the hideous ISUZU sticker on the tail gate. Yes its a sticker and on my truck its not even straight, its slanted. I wonder if the guy was lying down when they stuck it. Plan to ask them to remove it on the first service. The plain back would anyday look better.

What i have done and what i plan to do to the truck:
• Have already put in the bare essentials. Upgraded from the MRF Wanderers 245/70/16 to what i mentioned above on Steel Offroading Rims. Loving it.
Plonked in a Balupunkt touch screen with Navigation. Very satisfied.
• Have ordered a beige and black fixed faux leather seat cover set to match the interiors and dashboard and to look OE.
• Will be looking to add a bedliner and a roller lid Tonneu box in the very near future.
• A nice 48-50" curved, dual row Led Light bar with spot and spread beams.
• Don't think i will be adding locker as this will never be my out and out OTR vehicle. For that the Jeeps and the Gypsy will have to do. But will try a bit of off-roading with this too where the approach and departure angles do not interfere with the front and rear bumpers. Am not adding a winch or off-road bumpers to this also.

So i guess thats it. Thats all i can remember of the car in one go. As i remember and experience more stuff i will add on. Hoping to do a small OTR with her in the next few days, will post my experience of the same here.

I'm dying to check out the articulation and stuff. Wonder if it crawls as well in the 4-Low as a Jeep does (Not Thar or a Gypsy....Even Thar is not a Jeep :P)
Attached Thumbnails
Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20160813-19.19.12.jpeg  

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20160813-19.19.13.jpeg  

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20160813-19.19.16.jpeg  

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20160813-19.19.151.jpeg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th August 2016 at 13:25. Reason: Adding some formatting. Thanks for sharing :)
V-16 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 20:40   #398
Team-BHP Support

V-16 - Congrats for your new truck, nice review. Looks you have missed some of other threads for V Cross

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4031404

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post4029411
Old 15th August 2016, 15:55   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

Have already out in the bare essentials. Upgraded from the MRF Wanderers245/70/16 to what i mentioned above on Steel Offroading Rims.
Congratulations! wish you many happy miles. Thanks V-16 for the detailed review.

Are the stock tires MRF Wanderers, I thought MRF zvrl.
I am expecting vehicle next month and looking for a tire upgrade from MRF zvrl (which I thought) to a better tires (conti ats/geolander ats/etc) in stock size.
Old 16th August 2016, 11:35   #400
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Many Congratulations for the behemoth, V-16.

I think I saw your car while I was in Dadar yesterday. It was parked behind all your cars in the hotel driveway so couldn't get a clear view. But what a massive beast it is, dwarfs everything else parked near it. Oh and yes, your Rabbit and SL are such beautiful vehicles. Wish to see your entire garage someday.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 01:47   #401
BHPian

V Cross review by Autocar. Hope TBHP review is under WIP.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 18th August 2016 at 01:49.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 11:24   #402
Senior - BHPian

2017 version of the Dmax, ofcourse its an advert from Costa Rick but check out how AMAZING the 2017 version looks with those alloys and DRL's.

Common Isuzu, I know you read this thread. Get an Auto with more powerful engines and look how the numbers start climbing for you to take India seriously.
humyum is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 16:57   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=DHrquxyP7xc

2017 version of the Dmax, ofcourse its an advert from Costa Rick but check out how AMAZING the 2017 version looks with those alloys and DRL's.

Common Isuzu, I know you read this thread. Get an Auto with more powerful engines and look how the numbers start climbing for you to take India seriously.
To be fair to Isuzu, they've managed a coup of sorts with the introductory pricing and offering a vehicle of this size, fit & finish at under 15L ex showroom. Sure, everyone would like a higher variant and I suspect Isuzu will bring it in a couple of years or thereabouts down the line. Had they started this segment with the 2017 blue power diesel, I daresay they couldn't have priced it at 12.39L (12.99 now) but closer to 17L. At that level I wonder how many people would have bought what is essentially a pick up truck, no matter how luxurious. India isn't a traditional market for pick ups in the non commercial sector and at that price people who have traditionally used sedans or low end SUVs would be hard-pressed to invest so much in a pickup vis a vis a luxury sedan. Sure , there would be some folks who would always buy irrespective, but then there would hardly be any volumes and the market for such a vehicle would not stand a chance to mature up. That is only possible when common people and not just enthusiasts opt for vehicles as this.

It was s brilliant strategy to keep the ex showroom to a base level and allow owners to acccesorise in a graded manner as per their budget. I know I and many other people would not have bought this truck at a higher price. But after using this truck say for 3-4 years, first time owners of a pick up maybe ready for an upgrade to a more luxurious pick up at a higher price. In that sense the market for such vehicles will mature.
mani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 17:37   #404
Senior - BHPian

Ex showroom price in ncr has already gone up from 12.3 to 12.79.... hope Isuzu is not too greedy since one USP of this vehicle is vfm. Cross 13 ex showroom, I.e . 16 otr and you are in SUV territory. Hope Isuzu is mindful of that.

Also the accessories are insanely priced. Rear deck cover +bed liner + chrome package is sold as one unit and priced at 1.75. Makes more sense to go to a professional independent shop like bimbra or azaad.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 18th August 2016 at 17:41.
Old 18th August 2016, 17:57   #405
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I and many other people would not have bought this truck at a higher price.
You have fairly described challenges for Isuzu. But where are photos of your truck? or are you still awaiting delivery?

Quote:
Rear deck cover +bed liner + chrome package is sold as one unit and priced at 1.75. Makes more sense to go to a professional independent shop like bimbra or azaad.
Yes, these are expensive but exceptionally well built. I think other brand imports from Thailand will be cheaper either.

Quote:
Ex showroom price in ncr has already gone up from 12.3 to 12.79
They had originally planned for around 15 Lac and based on feedback at AutoExpo and independent discussions, they launched @ under 14 Lac. Probably they wanted to create a buzz by pricing it lower which they have succeeded also. To be fair they did gave Kits like the one you mentioned, at concessional rates for early bookings, like I paid 1 Lac for this package

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th August 2016 at 18:03.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks