Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2016, 17:00   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalSpeed View Post
I am not sure what extra components MU-X 4x4 manual have over Safari. Safari is a very capable car. I agree to the localization point, and hence higher taxes.
The sheer quality and capability of the MU-X overshadows the Safari in every aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalSpeed View Post
Also, a CBU Trailblazer automatic with 125% taxes + shipping from Thailand, is still priced at 26L. Guess the price without the tax, shipping and automatic gearbox is.
It is not secret that cars are cheaper to manufacture than they are sold no one is arguing that buddy. Like I mentioned, Isuzu does not have anything to prove, also the fact that they recently blew a lot of money setting up a plant in Andhra and will have to answer well to investors so they can afford to have higher margins.

If you still believe it is perfectly realistic to expect a 15 lakh american sized suv in the MU-X, purely based on manufacturing costs, then who am I to stop you

Last edited by IshaanIan : 12th May 2016 at 17:05.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 17:18   #167
BHPian

Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
Its good to know that new Isuzu showroom coming up in the middle of the state.
The regular ISUZU Dmax parked again at the upcoming showroom in Vijayawada.
Attached Thumbnails
Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-img20160512wa0000.jpg  

damodar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 18:04   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I asked him what happens if Isuzu decides to shut down operations in India and I am left with an Isuzu Car ? He said they have set up a multi crore plant in Chennai for manufacture of Dmax's for local as well as export, so they are serious about India and hence asked me not to worry about that.
Its not in Chennai. It's in Sri City SEZ, Andhra Pradesh (~65km from Chennai).

As the first post of this thread reported, ISUZU setup Rs 3,000 crore plant and initial capacity is 50,000 vehicles per year and can be scaled up to 1,20,000 vehicles per year.
sri_tesla is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 22:18   #169
Senior - BHPian

Isuzu has set up shop in SEZ (Special Economic Zone). Only those manufacturing units set up shop in SEZ who intend to export their entire production. Because goods manufactured in SEZ but cleared into domestic market attract Basic Customs Duty in addition to excise duty, as though cars were imported into India. Now, correct me if I am wrong, but Customs duty on import of cars is as high as 125 %, in addition to 24 % excise duty. Now how is Isuzu selling this car at 12.86 lakhs inspite of paying excise duty AND customs duty? Or, have they been granted some customs duty waiver?
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 23:50   #170
BHPian

Visited the Bangalore showroom today; some of my quick thoughts

> The steering feels very upmarket
> The Instrument cluster looks modern as well
> The gear shift is smooth and travel is moderate. Clutch is very light albeit with a deep travel
> Ironically the steering has good quality ICE controls but ICE is not standard fittment but an accessory
> The beige colour dash and upholstery is a big turn-off. Looks very dated and utilitarian
> I felt Cabin room and height both front and back is very spacious (I'm 5'11")
> Built quality is rock solid
> At over 17 feet in length, definitely not a daily commute vehicle

I drive an XUV and the above is a relative comparison. Below are some pictures (Obsidian Grey colour variant)
Attached Thumbnails
Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-20160512_193416_001.jpg  

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-20160512_193429_resized.jpg  

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-20160512_193500_resized.jpg  

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-20160512_193645_resized.jpg  

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-20160512_193922_resized.jpg  

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-20160512_194151_resized.jpg  

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-20160512_194315_resized.jpg  

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-20160512_194953_resized.jpg  

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-20160512_200201_resized.jpg  

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-20160512_194228_resized.jpg  

Last edited by charan : 12th May 2016 at 23:55.
charan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 08:34   #171
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charan View Post
The gear shift is smooth and travel is moderate. Clutch is very light albeit with a deep trave
Did you test drive one ? Im keen to know the ride quality, as the earlier DMax I drove had a horrible ride due to its weight carrying capabilities. Hope things have improved keeping urban adventurous customers in mind this time around!
Old 13th May 2016, 10:47   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Did you test drive one ? Im keen to know the ride quality, as the earlier DMax I drove had a horrible ride due to its weight carrying capabilities. Hope things have improved keeping urban adventurous customers in mind this time around!
No, test drives they say, will only start next month. However, he switched on the ignition and I tried my hand on the gears. The feel is very car like.
Old 13th May 2016, 11:00   #173
BHPian

@charan,
What you saw at the Bangalore showroom is a pre production model and the interiors are going to be changed as per the SA. The beige trims are awful and does not have the same quality of the other black parts. The brochure shows whole black interiors which looks pretty good. This vehicle surely going to stand out in the crowd but not so sure about the practicality as a daily commuter considering the length.
Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-img_20160513_105621.jpg
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 11:15   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Isuzu has set up shop in SEZ (Special Economic Zone). Only those manufacturing units set up shop in SEZ who intend to export their entire production. Because goods manufactured in SEZ but cleared into domestic market attract Basic Customs Duty in addition to excise duty, as though cars were imported into India. Now, correct me if I am wrong, but Customs duty on import of cars is as high as 125 %, in addition to 24 % excise duty. Now how is Isuzu selling this car at 12.86 lakhs inspite of paying excise duty AND customs duty? Or, have they been granted some customs duty waiver?
No, its not like this. SEZ means that you can import equipment(eg computers) duty free. Its like a bonded warehouse that nothing can go out. What is made in the SEZ will attract same taxes and duties as normal stuff, unless govt has given a specific tax holiday. For example HP gave tax holiday for 10 years to manufacturing plants setup in Baddi.
Old 13th May 2016, 11:26   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Heads up in case someone from Bangalore is looking to book, there are 10 more vehicles allotted to Trident Isuzu for the old price if someone is interested. I have booked on and beyond this I have no interest in this, just passing on information I received from the dealer.
Can you please offer little more clarity to the old price? Is there a price revision already?

Inquired the Trident Bangalore guys, it's awful to note that the ICE is not part of the package, comes with just the steering controls.

I am told that Isuzu has not finalized the accessories (bid liners et al) and the ICE, might know in a week or 2.

Delivery is sometime in Sep or Oct.
Old 13th May 2016, 11:32   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
suzu has set up shop in SEZ (Special Economic Zone). Only those manufacturing units set up shop in SEZ who intend to export their entire production. Because goods manufactured in SEZ but cleared into domestic market attract Basic Customs Duty in addition to excise duty, as though cars were imported into India.
Quote:
No, its not like this.
I will tend to agree with PGSAGAR , he is correct as per definition or operations of SEZ , anything that goes into local market has to first clear custom and then other duties.

But I am sure this particular area must have some special permissions or is termed differently else it is impossible to price at these costs besides why will they set up something for the Indian market in Area exclusively meant for exports.
Old 13th May 2016, 11:38   #177
Senior - BHPian

Any Old Dmax owners, is it a practical daily drive for you ? To be honest, I am super enamoured by the the current DMAX and against all realistic senses, I want to buy one.

Basically the way I am looking at this, it gives me a Fortuner type SUV which looks even hotter because of it being a pickup at half the price, not to mention is super reliable too.

Secondly, light clutch as Rudra Sir mentioned ( I can't live with a heavy clutch)

Interiors look good, has all the creature comforts

Now what I am worried about and if someone could clear this.

1) How is the ride quality ? Will I need to park some 50-100 kgs in the rear at all times to make her ride well for passengers ?

2) How is the handling, No I am not expecting Swift type handling, but I want to go around my cross country trips at reasonable speeds. Will the rear end snap at any signs of a fast corner ?

3) How is the braking ?

4) Will a Family of 3 at the moment which can become 4 soon, be comfortable with ample space in this ?

5) If the Audio Controls are given on the steering wheel minus the player/touchscreen provided by the company, does that mean I have to buy only what Isuzu gives or I can pair that steering mounted remote to any other player ? If I can, I want Google Car play as an interface with a compatible player rather than what Isuzu Provides.

6) Is there cruise control ? Don't see one on the steering wheel.

I know lot of questions but Rudra Sir or anyone who has seen/driven it can answer please.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 12:00   #178
Senior - BHPian

This vehicle has surely generated loads of interest and definitely will find a larger buyer base than the Getaway or Xenon. Though, i think at least a good chunk of potential buyers will be the people searching for a good SUV rather than a pick up truck exclusively. Apparently the significant difference (in positive terms) of quality compared to available products in 15 L range, coupled with the image of an adventure vehicle will draw some good amount of crowd. Just like Jeeps, there would be good no of people who adore the Hilux as their dream vehicle and the V-cross would surely appeal at that point. However whether the buyer population would be so large that it would complete with the mainstream SUVs in this range, is still a question. If given some time with a promising pricing, just like what Isuzu has started with, surely there will be more acceptance to even 'normal' people. However too much of tweaking in price on higher side and exclusion of components like the infotainment system just on the basis of initial euphoria will not be a wise thing to do for Isuzu.
Old 13th May 2016, 12:47   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
@charan,
What you saw at the Bangalore showroom is a pre production model and the interiors are going to be changed as per the SA. The beige trims are awful and does not have the same quality of the other black parts. The brochure shows whole black interiors which looks pretty good. This vehicle surely going to stand out in the crowd but not so sure about the practicality as a daily commuter considering the length.
Attachment 1506681
Yes it was a demo model is what was told to me and that the door panels will be changed to better plastic. But he was sure the Beige colour will remain. The pictures in the brochure is entirely different (look at the A/C controls). I too wish the Dash and upholstery get a darker shade like in the brochure pictures.

PS: I welcome the two much needed 12V lighter sockets in the dash.
Old 13th May 2016, 13:31   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any Old Dmax owners, is it a practical daily drive for you ?
Honestly , NO , multiple reasons - foremost commercial number plates with many restrictions on places I can't take at a particular time to ban on entry in Delhi for Diesel ones & yes without load you do feel the bumps from rear as if you are riding a camel -ok bit exaggerated - more like if you sit on roof of a bus ( have you ever ) never felt overseas while driving such trucks so perhaps V-Cross which is aimed at personal segment should behave differently.

Quote:
4) Will a Family of 3 at the moment which can become 4 soon, be comfortable with ample space in this ?
will depend on your better half in my opinion , once the demo starts next month , take her and your kid on an extended drive.

found this interesting link at Ironman 4x4 facebook page

http://www.carsome.com.au/news/item/...An-Isuzu-D-Max

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th May 2016 at 13:43.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed