Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2016, 16:31   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by charan View Post
Visited the Bangalore showroom today; some of my quick thoughts
Hi Charan,

Thanks for the pictures. The website is actually quite misleading. It suggests that the system is standard. However, from your pictures and posts, it looks like it is a 40K extra. Either way the prices is worth it.

I would have bought it, if not for the size. Even if you lop of the foot behind the rear axles. It is still more than 15 ft in length.
Old 17th May 2016, 21:17   #197
BHPian

Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Hi,
on the website and in the brochure, its mentioned "deck loading capacity: 265 kgs".

isnt that quite low capacity, while comparing with the d-max ?
Old 17th May 2016, 21:50   #198
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
In order to be registered as a passenger vehicle the load carrying capacity has to be rated lower than the passenger capacity. The mechanicals however are rated for a Ton as you can see from the specs of the export version which is mechanically identical. Not sure about 2.5 tons though. In this case you are better of going for the DI version with the 3.0 liter 407 engine. That's one work horse.
To be registered as a private vehicle, the load carrying capacity of a vehicle has to be lesser than passenger carrying capacity.
chaudh2s is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 08:11   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The Safari is not in the same league as far as materials and componentry is concerned. Secondly, you seem to be forgetting that Tata designed, developed and manufactures the Safari with nearly 100% localization compared to 70% localization in the Isuzu's case. Tata steel could also help Tata in keeping their costs low. Isuzu also does not have anything to prove so can afford to have higher margins. Taking all that into consideration, plus the added components and higher taxes, there is simply no way the MU-X can cost less than 20 lakhs.
Hi Ishan, Tata Motors and Tata Steel are two different companies although under the same Tata Sons umbrella, Tata Steel cannot in any case supply material to Tata Motors which is under market price since this will not be fair to other suppliers although yes two companies (infact other vehicle manufacturers and other Steel suppliers too) regularly take trials of new and advanced materials like high strength, high tensile etc. but a lot depends on the market adaption and competitor movements and actions.
But yes in future we will see much better, stronger and lighter vehicles.
StallionAmit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 13:21   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionAmit View Post
Hi Ishan, Tata Motors and Tata Steel are two different companies although under the same Tata Sons umbrella, Tata Steel cannot in any case supply material to Tata Motors which is under market price since this will not be fair to other suppliers although yes two companies (infact other vehicle manufacturers and other Steel suppliers too) regularly take trials of new and advanced materials like high strength, high tensile etc. but a lot depends on the market adaption and competitor movements and actions.
But yes in future we will see much better, stronger and lighter vehicles.
Thanks I did not know about such technicalities and rules. Always great to understand these better
Old 18th May 2016, 21:58   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Got to test drive the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross. Thanks to my friend Mr Samresh Das for inviting me for the test drive.

First time i saw this vehicle in flesh was in Delhi Auto Expo this year in February.

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-1.jpg

And now on & off the road!

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-2.jpg

The V-Cross with 3 worthy off-roaders from the M&M stable. From left to tright. Bhpian Blackpearls white Tusker, Bhpian 1100D's Marengo and Mr Avishek's Scorpio 4X4

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-3.jpg

And few pics off the road!

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-9.jpg

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-10.jpg

Test drove the vehicle and we did a bit of off roading too.

My take on the vehicle-

As soon as i sat on the driving seat, it was highly comfortable. The ergonomics are spot on. The hand rest for the driver is also placed in a very comfortable position.

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-4.jpg

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-5.jpg

Checked the rear seat, it's comfortable and has enormous leg space.

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-6.jpg

Opened the hood and the first thing came to my mind is its heavy! The body is not at all light and flimsy. From every angle it gave an impression that its well built.
The 2.5L engine producing 134 bhp

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-7.jpg

The more than adequate 225mm ground clearance.

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-8.jpg

Now coming to the drive-

The engine note is smooth.

Nvh level is really good.

The pick up is excellent for a vehicle of this size and weight. It pulled effortlessly past 120km/hr.

It do not give a feel of much body roll. I felt as if i was driving a cross over. Took a turn around 80km/hr that too maintaining the lane and it took the turn without any fuss. I was impressed the way it handles. Once or twice i felt the rear may skid if cornered too hard but it didn't skid while i was driving. A dead weight of 100-200kg on the bay will improve its handling even further!

Brakes are excellent. Slammed the brakes at 80km/hr the abs kicked in and the vehicle stopped in a straight line without any drama. Though the wheels screeched a bit at the end.

The comfort from the driving seat was very good. It took the road undulation's and rough patches really well. But seating on the rear seat was altogether a different story. It was bumpy. I will not prefer to be in the rear seats of this vehicle.

Regarding off-roading the enormous torque and power made things easy for this vehicle. It climbed the inclines with ease. It has an electronic knob like the Scorpio to change the driving mode from 2Wd to 4H or 4L. A differential lock is missing and on asking they do not have any plans to introduce it as of now.

On the negative side i will say is the long wheel base. On inclines there were instances if the driver is not careful the rear over hang will definitely scrap! The mudflaps are prone to scrap and will break if not careful!

Two things which i felt should be done at first are-

1) Put on AT tyres, as these stock tryes do not do justice to the capability of this vehicle.

2) Put on a dead weight of 150-200kg on the load bay. It will improve the handling further, plus will make the bumpy ride more sorted out in the rear.

Attaching few video's from today's test drive-

Coming down the slope, at the end Bhpain Blackpearl stopped the vehicle, else the rear overhang on the left would have scrapped. Later, on taking it on a bit angular way it was fine.

Trying the same slope in reverse-

Now with more momentum

1100D taking the slope up.

Last edited by Samba : 18th May 2016 at 22:14.
Samba is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 23:51   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
It do not give a feel of much body roll. I felt as if i was driving a cross over. Took a turn around 80km/hr that too maintaining the lane and it took the turn without any fuss. I was impressed the way it handles. Once or twice i felt the rear may skid if cornered too hard but it didn't skid while i was driving. A dead weight of 100-200kg on the bay will improve its handling even further!
i-grip (Isuzu Gravity Responsive Intelligent Platform) is good you say, per your review. Any update on the cab styles that would be offered in India. I feel its a great move by Isuzu to introduce this beast at 12.5. Its a straight carry forward of Chevy D Max and Colorado. And as usual a very short and crisp review. Great pictures and Videos as well.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 08:14   #203
Senior - BHPian

Samba: thanks for the reviews! I have to say it "arey oh samba" 😬.

On a more tech note is it possible to reduce the rear overhang? This probably would reduce the chances of scraping and also reduce some weight! Maybe some mods may be possible. Is the cover as seen on the vehicle in the Delhi auto expo available? That looks very high quality!
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 08:30   #204
OSH
BHPian

Nice review. The V-max will surely command some respect from other road users, who would want to be in it's path. Looks very rugged and tough, which we do not see now-a-days with other competitors. The interiors look good with the mix of beige and black for the premuim feel along with practicality. Interior space also seems adequate, but the loading bay is painted right ? It will start looking bad with use, some stone-chip solution could resolve this problem ?

Any updates when we can have a look at the other variants, maybe along with some of those official accessories seen at the auto expo ?

Last edited by OSH : 19th May 2016 at 08:32.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 10:58   #205
BHPian

@samba: thanks for the review.

Waiting for a test drive in Bangalore. Is the back seat bumpiness comparable to scorpio?
mohanaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 14:25   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
Any update on the cab styles that would be offered in India.And as usual a very short and crisp review. Great pictures and Videos as well.
Thanks.

As of now they are offering only one cover styling for the payload area. Its offered as an accessory. Sharing the pics of it which i have taken from the Delhi Auto Expo this year.

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-img_9271.jpg

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-img_9272.jpg

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-img_9273.jpg

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-img_9275.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Samba: thanks for the reviews! I have to say it "arey oh samba" ��.

On a more tech note is it possible to reduce the rear overhang? This probably would reduce the chances of scraping and also reduce some weight! Maybe some mods may be possible. Is the cover as seen on the vehicle in the Delhi auto expo available? That looks very high quality!
Thanks!

Am not sure if its possible to cut the rear over hang of the pay load area! Mostly its not unless you go for some heavy modifications.

Yes this cover is available as an accessory as shown in the Delhi auto expo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
Nice review. Interior space also seems adequate, but the loading bay is painted right ? It will start looking bad with use, some stone-chip solution could resolve this problem ?

Any updates when we can have a look at the other variants, maybe along with some of those official accessories seen at the auto expo ?
Thanks.

Yes the loading bay area is painted with the same body color. If its used for personal use then a mat or something similar can also protect the paint when the loading bay will be used.

As of now this vehicle is only available in one variant. The accessories are yet to arrive. May be by next month you can find a vehicle with fully loaded accessories. I would say its best, if you call up your local dealer and take the update as it varies from dealer to dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanaj View Post
@samba: thanks for the review.

Waiting for a test drive in Bangalore. Is the back seat bumpiness comparable to scorpio?
Thanks.

Its a difficult question! May be yes when only two passengers are on board in the Scorpio! A fully loaded Scorpio should be more comfortable!
Again when i was on the rear seat of the V-Cross we were only 3 on board with an empty loading bay. The rear is having a leaf-spring set up. So it has its contribution too!

Last edited by Samba : 19th May 2016 at 14:29.
Samba is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 15:08   #207
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, I think the 16 inchers look small, leaving a lot of wheel arch to be seen. I agree this is not a vehicle which needs low profile tyres but the international version comes with 255-65-R17, which IMO look much better on this.

Secondly the passengers sitting behind having a bad ride quality is a big negative as this is more of a lifestyle vehicle than an offroader for most, I don't think people will go mudslinging on a daily basis in this.

Phew, somehow the euphoria of this is dying for me. I hope a physical see and test drive tomorrow changes that.
Old 19th May 2016, 15:16   #208
Senior - BHPian

Hi Samba, Did you get to drive it in / around the city? I'm also keen to understand if this could be the only vehicle in the garage which means it is drive-able and fuss free in the city too. Comparable to say a Safari Storme? A decent FE of course would be a significant plus. Thanks!
Old 19th May 2016, 15:53   #209
BHPian

Anyone know if the boot-lid and lining is installed at factory or installed by dealer if opted for these accessories. I think it is installed by dealer, wanted to confirm though.
Old 19th May 2016, 16:14   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got to test drive the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross.

The pick up is excellent for a vehicle of this size and weight. It pulled effortlessly past 120km/hr.

It do not give a feel of much body roll.

It took the road undulation's and rough patches really well.

The enormous torque and power made things easy for this vehicle.

On the negative side i will say is the long wheel base. On inclines there were instances if the driver is not careful the rear over hang will definitely scrap! The mudflaps are prone to scrap and will break if not careful!

Coming down the slope, at the end Bhpain Blackpearl stopped the vehicle, else the rear overhang on the left would have scrapped. Later, on taking it on a bit angular way it was fine.

1100D taking the slope up.

A good review. However a few points from the drivers seat both on-road as well as offroad and am sure both Blackpearl and myself can actually comment on these.

1> The vehicle is effortless to pick speed, it doesn't feel fast, but it is. The torque curve is actually quite flat and it does not have the peaky shove that gives that feeling of "fast". But driven back to back, it did show the stealth.

2> Offroad though, the vehicle needed a bit more pedal travel than we require on our vehicles.

3> The Mahindra's on the same slope were effortless. Even the newbie offroader in the blue scorpio impressed. Both in forward as well as reverse direction. The Mahindra's pulled up the slope in 4L-2ND without drama, the V-cross required first gear on 4Low.

4> The rear overhang : Was quite a bit of bother as people who were there must have noted that the rear was tending to scrape at a very small slope. We circumvented this problem by turning the vehicle towards the end of the descent and taking an angular approach to the ascent. One would not have the luxury of space everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanaj View Post

Quote:
Its a difficult question! May be yes when only two passengers are on board in the Scorpio! A fully loaded Scorpio should be more comfortable!

Again when i was on the rear seat of the V-Cross we were only 3 on board with an empty loading bay. The rear is having a leaf-spring set up. So it has its contribution too!
The answer is yes. V-cross was better in the ride department at highway speeds across sections that caused vertical movement. A loaded Scorpio will ride better, so will a loaded V-cross. But on almost empty vehicle, back to back drives, similar speeds, the V-cross displayed a far better composure and ride compared to a Last gen 4WD scorpio (my own, which is not ill maintained atleast in the suspension department).

On the list of accessories, the thing to note was that the salesman said that a Snorkel will be available and that is quite a boon.

In the end one has to pick and choose on which requirement he/she wants a tick.

Solidly built, Impressive truck this.
1100D is offline   (16) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks