Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2016, 14:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti puts together database of 1.7 crore government employees for sales targeting!

Maruti eyes sales spurt on 7th pay panel handout, readies database of 17 mn govt staff

Country's leading automobile manufacturer, Maruti Suzuki is looking for increased sales from govt employees who are awaiting the implementation of 7th Pay Panel recommendation.
This is the kind of proactive strategy that has led to the success and ongoing success for Maruti.
speedmiester is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 15:31   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti puts together database of 1.7 crore government employees for sales targeting!

There is a whole lot that anyone can learn from Maruti. Good times or bad times, Maruti does sell vehicle. I remember an article that Maruti rolled out some special offers for the Pujaris & priests during the bad times as people flock to the temples & churches with offerings for a better future. And this section was making good money that Maruti focussed on them for purchases.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 15:43   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti puts together database of 1.7 crore government employees for sales targeting!

Unbelievably impressive . If ever there exists a company that's hungry for the kill, it's Maruti.

While its competitors struggle to sell the car through regular channels, Maruti builds a network of 2,000 sales outlets. Then, since traditional means are taken care of and are running like a well-oiled machine, it starts such innovative campaigns. I remember several other marketing examples (employee sales referrals & bonuses, innovative rural marketing etc.). See this example:

Quote:
Additionally, 3000 local villagers who were well versed with rural languages and behaviors were nominated as resident dealer sales executives of Maruti Suzuki, whose main job was to promote sales in their respective villages. They were further supported by over 186 extension counters. Maruti has gone the extra mile by taking villagers for factory visits, conducting detailed profiling of the villagers, their consumption patterns and their choices and capturing the attention of decision makers of the village like Sarpanch. From regular rural sporting events to sales fairs (Grameen Mahotsavs) to SMS campaigns for Gram Panchayat Members, Maruti Suzuki has done it all.
In the Indian car market, there's a reason why the big get bigger, and the small smaller. Show them how its done, Maruti!
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 15:48   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti puts together database of 1.7 crore government employees for sales targeting!

Brilliant move !

However, I am wondering if this should have been done without all the press releases and the fanfare. Why make your strategy public ?
Old 29th April 2016, 16:13   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Brilliant move !

However, I am wondering if this should have been done without all the press releases and the fanfare. Why make your strategy public ?
It's going to take months if not years to prepare such a big database and use it efficiently. By the time someone else tries to emulate they will have utilized a good part of it and moved to another novel strategy! And who actually is going to take the pain and do that. I see only Hyundai as someone who is deeply committed to growth and work hard for it. Most others just want success to come to them.
RaghuVis is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 17:05   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Extremely smart move, indeed.

Most of the middle/lower-level government employees go for Maruti cars, because they are the safest options in terms of maintenance, after-sales servicings & command terrific resale value. No wonder that Maruti-Suzuki has targetted this particular sector.

Also, consider this - a mere 12 percent of that 17 million number equals more than 2 million sales. If you add another 15 percent (those who would be upgrading from their Altos, Swifts, DZires, even other cars), that's 2.5 million more. That means the equation at the end would be worth a cool 5 million in new car sales numbers!

A lesson in aggressive marketing for other car companies to learn from. This company is numero uno in our market for this very reason. It just doesn't sit on it's laurels of racking up 1,00,000+ car sales every month - it's wants more. MUCH more!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 29th April 2016 at 17:06.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 13:37   #7
BHPian

Two years ago when I went to the showroom for car purchase, I have seen a scheme specifically aimed at rural school teachers with Altos at a extra discount!
Interesting way to market I thought, Maruti tries to reach out to customers who would otherwise never bother going beyond a two wheeler.
Maruti is a market leader with a growing passion to get bigger than ever!
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 14:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

I see everyone applauding the move but such a move would have dire consequences for any company outside India in the civilized world - Privacy. I wonder what kind or level of due diligence has been done by Maruti to prepare this list. Where are they getting this list of 17mn people? Have the people been asked whether they want to appear on the list. Like everything else - India mein kuch bhi chalta hai.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 16:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Im sorry, but I'll have to stand away & jeer this move!

Cars are the most under-utilised assets of the Indian Middle-class.
Our cities are cramped with traffic. The infrastructure is crumbling!

Maruti has hawkishly prepared to target & bombard a specific section of people (who'll have NOT signed up for it) with their brand using data that's possibly procured in a suspectable manner.

And cheering a company for increased sales is weird! IMO if we're going to encourage such a narrative, then the right way is to disclose if we hold their stock.
Old 1st May 2016, 16:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
And cheering a company for increased sales is weird! IMO if we're going to encourage such a narrative, then the right way is to disclose if we hold their stock.

It may not be all about increased sales. One can get a feel of what kind of hard work and innovation Maruti's sales team put in, despite being at the top for so many years.
Dhruba_Nazira is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 22:57   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Im sorry, but I'll have to stand away & jeer this move!

Cars are the most under-utilised assets of the Indian Middle-class.
Our cities are cramped with traffic. The infrastructure is crumbling!

Maruti has hawkishly prepared to target & bombard a specific section of people (who'll have NOT signed up for it) with their brand using data that's possibly procured in a suspectable manner.

Maruti is trying to sell cars, that's their job. They aren't forcing cars down anyone's throat. The customer is having free will, they can very well not buy. What should Maruti do if infrastructure is crumbling? Shut shop? Then why not ban car sales and make it illegal to drive or own cars! Most people do have aspirations in life like owning a car, if it was all about an ideal life, we should all go back to the forests, because every small thing you use daily is crumbling infrastructure indirectly. Since development has no option of going back, we can only try to make the situation better using greener options. Don't tell to use public transport , which is a joke in most cities. For small towns, there doesn't exist a proper public transport that is reliable. I'm in awe of Maruti's methods, I don't own any stocks of MSIL, but now if I don't buy, I can only blame myself.
The Rationalist is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 01:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
They aren't forcing cars down anyone's throat. The customer is having free will, they can very well not buy.
Specific people whose information was obtained without their consent of being willingly targeted by inorganic brand promotion at a specific time, definitely counts for unethical inducement.

Quote:
What should Maruti do if infrastructure is crumbling? Shut shop?
My opinion what Maruti *should* be doing ? Not necessary that I be concerned about that.

Quote:
Then why not ban car sales and make it illegal to drive or own cars!

Most people do have aspirations in life like owning a car, if it was all about an ideal life, we should all go back to the forests, because every small thing you use daily is crumbling infrastructure indirectly.
Firstly, what's with all that extreme talk on "banning" & "ideal life" ? Never mentioned any of that !

Quote:
Since development has no option of going back, we can only try to make the situation better using greener options. Don't tell to use public transport , which is a joke in most cities. For small towns, there doesn't exist a proper public transport that is reliable.
Huh what ? Anyway.

Quote:
I'm in awe of Maruti's methods, I don't own any stocks of MSIL, but now if I don't buy, I can only blame myself.
Sure, that's your right.

See, IMO, it's not OK being targeted by specific advertisements that one hasn't given concent to. It could be a simple promotional SMS or sales call (like banks did for credit cards).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks