Old 27th April 2016, 14:51   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Skoda Superb Diesel: No deliveries until August. EDIT: Deliveries finally begin

Link to Official Review

Quoting this part of the review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Skoda also needs to learn how to handle its launches properly. When the Octavia was introduced, the company didn't have enough kits, resulting in unusually long waiting periods! Now, this new Superb was launched in February, and those who booked the diesel got an email stating 'no deliveries in March due to global demand'!! Basically, no kits of the diesel until May! Then, Skoda must be the only manufacturer whose website for a fresh new car is full of broken links - related post. As if that wasn't enough, when BHPian ManishKapadia placed a request for a new brochure via their online form, he was sent a pdf of the old Superb (related post)!
Someone I know went to book a diesel Superb yesterday. He was told that:

1. Skoda has told its dealers to stop taking bookings for the Superb diesel.

2. No deliveries until October 2016!!!

2. A lot of people who have already booked the Superb diesel will be refunded the amount OR told to wait till October OR pushed in the direction of the petrol. A lucky few *might* get the diesel, but it's not completely clear.

How can you launch such an awesome car and not support it??!!!

Last edited by GTO : 29th April 2016 at 13:58.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 20:08   #2
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

Could the Skoda Superb diesel sales and delivery halt be related to the VAG Dieselgate issue. It uses the same 2.0 TDI engine and they could be fixing something prior to delivery rather than having another recall at later date.

When I told one of my friend how awesome the New superb looks he actually bet me that the Superb hype would die out once few owners burn their fingers dealing with Skoda Auto. I hope he is proven wrong.
manishkapadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 11:47   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

2. A lot of people who have already booked the Superb diesel will be refunded the amount OR told to wait till October OR pushed in the direction of the petrol. A lucky few *might* get the diesel, but it's not completely clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
Could the Skoda Superb diesel sales and delivery halt be related to the VAG Dieselgate issue. It uses the same 2.0 TDI engine and they could be fixing something prior to delivery rather than having another recall at later date.
VW India has recently announced that they are going to begin building the 2.0L TDI engine in India, and from my sources assembly of this engine is set to begin by September. This is a new-generation engine code-named EA288, which will eventually be trans-planted into all VW Group cars in India currently sold with the 2.0L TDI option, including the Jetta, Octavia, A4, Q5 and soon-to-be-announced new-generation Passat. They're probably delaying deliveries of the new diesel Superb for the cost implications of putting in an imported engine vs a locally assembled unit.

Probably does not make sense to plop in the existing EA189 engine only for a couple of months, and then re-tool the car for the locally assembled engine.

Last edited by phoenixash : 28th April 2016 at 11:59. Reason: updated information
phoenixash is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 12:46   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Confirmed from Skoda. Not a single Superb Diesel until *around August* (though I think it'll be September to October before the backlog is cleared).

The diesel is important and it would be my pick of the two engines. Launch in February, first lot of deliveries 6 months later .
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 12:59   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Confirmed from Skoda. Not a single Superb Diesel until *around August* (though I think it'll be September to October before the backlog is cleared).

The diesel is important and it would be my pick of the two engines. Launch in February, first lot of deliveries 6 months later .
This is heartbreaking !

I had booked the Diesel L&K on 26th Feb just after the day of the launch and now i get to hear this

Wonder why they issued this letter then on 4th March 2016;

Skoda Superb Diesel: No deliveries until August. EDIT: Deliveries finally begin-skoda.jpg

They lied

However, as a customer il wait for an official statement from them, *fingers crossed*, *legs crossed*, body crossed* , I WANT MY CAR !

Last edited by karan561 : 28th April 2016 at 13:16.
karan561 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 14:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

However, as a customer il wait for an official statement from them, *fingers crossed*, *legs crossed*, body crossed* , I WANT MY CAR !
Why don't you go in for the petrol. The 3L+ cost difference does not seem worth it in running costs. Superbs have poor resale so that shouldn't be too big a factor. You may even go with the manual if the car is chauffer driven as it will be reliable too as member dkaile is experiencing. Any other specific reason that you are so keen on the diesel?
Old 28th April 2016, 14:53   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Why don't you go in for the petrol. The 3L+ cost difference does not seem worth it in running costs. Superbs have poor resale so that shouldn't be too big a factor. You may even go with the manual if the car is chauffer driven as it will be reliable too as member dkaile is experiencing. Any other specific reason that you are so keen on the diesel?
ToyotaFan,

I wanted to buy the Manual petrol, but my family put the foot down and blackmailed me that if we are getting the Superb it will be a A/T.

I was blackmailed because while buying the Figo i had put my foot down that if we are buying Figo then the we need to go in only for the Diesel Manual (as i am already having the Ecosport a/t with the same engine gearbox combo of Figo a/t).

Coming back to the superb, Diesel 350 NM is more tempting than the 250 NM petrol A/T.

Also i'd prefer to own the DQ250 of the Diesel over the DQ200 of the petrol.

karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 14:57   #8
BHPian

This, once again proves the unscrupulous nature of VW management. Launch a wonderful car and don't deliver it, keep customers hanging in the dark. Completely ignore customer expectations/satisfaction for business benefit. Why launch when you can't deliver?
Why not deliver using import kit, till engine plant is ready? Many auto companies have done it in past (Merc C class).

No doubt VW makes wonderful cars but with this level of business values, I am not sure if I am ready to put my money on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixash View Post
This is a new-generation engine code-named EA288, which will eventually be trans-planted into all VW Group cars in India currently sold with the 2.0L TDI option, including the Jetta, Octavia, A4, Q5 and soon-to-be-announced new-generation Passat. They're probably delaying deliveries of the new diesel Superb for the cost implications of putting in an imported engine vs a locally assembled unit.
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 15:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
This, once again proves the unscrupulous nature of VW management. Launch a wonderful car and don't deliver it, keep customers hanging in the dark. Completely ignore customer expectations/satisfaction for business benefit. Why launch when you can't deliver?
Why not deliver using import kit, till engine plant is ready? Many auto companies have done it in past (Merc C class).

No doubt VW makes wonderful cars but with this level of business values, I am not sure if I am ready to put my money on them.
Completely agree. Honestly, aside from making well-built, fun to drive cars, the VW Group has got very little right in India. Their product portfolio is a head scratcher, having launched no new products since 2012. Dealer experience is bad to horrendous while after sales service is rubbish.

The only things they do well is build good cars, and sell them in sensible variants (automatics available in mid & high variant in diesel and petrol choices). I guess their focus continues to be on exporting cars rather than local sales.
phoenixash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 18:14   #10
BHPian

My Skoda Superb booking horror story with Skoda Autobahn!

Even the title to this post may be a bit misleading cause I still don't have my Superb.

As an avid Skoda fan I've had a Laura L&K since 2009 and last year picked up a top of the line Petrol Octavia. When the new Superb was announced Skoda Autobahn again approached us and without a doubt we put down a 2L deposit on the Superb L&K diesel ... this was even before the launch in Mid Feb which we were invited too and did attend to get a feel for the vehicle we had booked. Since we were quite literally one of the first 5 booking that Skoda Autobahn had received and we were regular customers (also, picked up my Polo GT TSi from autobahn in Sept. 2014) they assured us delivery on or before the 20th of March. Time came for us to put up the rest of the cash for the car so we could receive it on time and they gladly came and collected it. Much to my dismay just 2 days before the delivery date they called and said "so sorry sir due to changes put forward in the upcoming budget we will not be releasing any diesel cars before the 15th of April". Not just that they also wanted a 2% surcharge for the car now. Mind you the deal was concluded and all money exchanged well before the 31st of March. Sooo as pissed as I was about not getting the car and getting screwed on 6 months worth of Depreciation on it for my books I accepted their change.

Just today though I got a call that can only be described as the icing on a shit cake ! Skoda called to inform me that they will not be releasing any Superb Diesels in India before August 2016 and that too they can't be sure about August. Emissions issues for Skoda and VW apparently!!! They still claim that the cars are in the yard ready to go but, they can't/wont help the customers that have already paid for these damn cars and waited months! Completely crap service from Skoda!

Now they are trying to peddle the petrol version out to us so we don't take a refund ... man I haven't been so disappointed with a car manufacturer ever as I am with Skoda today!
R170 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 18:33   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Skoda Superb booking horror story with Skoda Autobahn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R170 View Post
... they assured us delivery on or before the 20th of March. Time came for us to put up the rest of the cash for the car so we could receive it on time and they gladly came and collected it. Much to my dismay just 2 days before the delivery date they called and said "so sorry sir due to changes put forward in the upcoming budget we will not be releasing any diesel cars before the 15th of April". Not just that they also wanted a 2% surcharge for the car now. Mind you the deal was concluded and all money exchanged well before the 31st of March. Sooo as pissed as I was about not getting the car and getting screwed on 6 months worth of Depreciation on it for my books I accepted their change.
Pardon me if this sounds like a stupid question, how would you be able to book 6 months of depreciation on a brand new car?
Old 28th April 2016, 18:48   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

It doesn't look like you are planning for a refund. To be honest, if you choose to accommodate this kind of crappy service, then no one can help.

Did you also try to verify the facts from other dealers in other states? Or are you believing the dealer 100% ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Pardon me if this sounds like a stupid question, how would you be able to book 6 months of depreciation on a brand new car?
I think he was referring to the benefits if one buy a brand new car for in March and the tax benefits associated with the purchase.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 28th April 2016 at 18:50.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 19:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
One can claim 50% depreciation of the normal rate applicable if the asset has been put to use for less than 180 days in the previous year. So if the OP had got the car before 31st March he would have been eligible to claim depreciation to the extent of 50% of 15% i.e. 7.5%.

EDIT: My advice to R170 is to take back your money from the dealership people. They'll definitely hesitate as they might lose a genuine customer and also your money is a zero cost debt to them.
Why let them earn interest of your hard earned money.

Petrol or diesel, make your choice but next time transfer the full amount only when you see your car in their stockyard.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 28th April 2016 at 19:25. Reason: Added the EDIT portion.
Sherlocked is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 19:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
One can claim 50% depreciation of the normal rate applicable if the asset has been put to use for less than 180 days in the previous year. So if the OP had got car before 31st March he would have been eligible to claim depreciation to the extent of 50% of 15% i.e. 7.5%.
Yep thats what I was referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Did you also try to verify the facts from other dealers in other states? Or are you believing the dealer 100% ?
Believing at this point since I just got the call. Very valid question though ... I'll start checking around tomorrow.

Last edited by Eddy : 28th April 2016 at 19:49. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
Old 28th April 2016, 19:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R170 View Post
Believing at this point since I just got the call. Very valid question though ... I'll start checking around tomorrow.
84 & 87 Skoda Superbs were dispatched to dealerships across India in the months of February & March respectively (refer to team-bhp's sales analysis report for month of March 2016).

I don't think all these cars are sitting in the stockyard, if so was the case then Skoda would not have dispatched after February. Or were they all just petrol varient?
I an not willing to believe that no cars were sold before April 15, 2016. I may be wrong. Sometimes dealerships alot booked cars to other customers owing to various reasons right from influence to paying extra premium. I am skeptical because it's Skoda and they have a very negative reputation when it comes to customer service.

Edit: Ignore my post. Just read in the official superb review and fellow members have confirmed by their posts that delivery for diesel varients would start after the months of Aug

Last edited by wrongturn : 28th April 2016 at 20:02.
wrongturn is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks