Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2016, 20:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: My Skoda Superb booking horror story with Skoda Autobahn!

The concerns by R170 may be true. We are Skoda loyalists too (as per my signature) and we probably are also one of the first few to book our Skoda Superb Diesel L&K variant even before the launch but till now no news of the delivery of the car.

I did see a 2016 Skoda Superb on the road a few weeks ago and informed my folks about it. On enquiring with the dealer, we were told that they had started delivering the petrol version.

We were initially told delivery in mid March, then delivery in mid April and now by 15th May. But after reading this thread, there seems to be a major crisis with Skoda in terms of delivering the Superb. We have booked through JMD at Kandivali West. We will check with them first thing tomorrow and update.

Last edited by Epic : 28th April 2016 at 20:07.
Epic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 20:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: My Skoda Superb booking horror story with Skoda Autobahn!

From the Superb official review thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Someone I know went to book a diesel Superb yesterday. He was told that:

1. Skoda has told its dealers to stop taking bookings for the Superb diesel.

2. No deliveries until October 2016!!!

2. A lot of people who have already booked the Superb diesel will be refunded the amount OR told to wait till October OR pushed in the direction of the petrol. A lucky few *might* get the diesel, but it's not completely clear.

How can you launch such an awesome car and not support it??!!!
Quote:
Confirmed from Skoda. Not a single Superb Diesel until *around August* (though I think it'll be September to October before the backlog is cleared).

The diesel is important and it would be my pick of the two engines. Launch in February, first lot of deliveries 6 months later .

So it is indeed true that there will be no deliveries. Dealer is not playing tricks as far as this fact is concerned. If you are not keen on petrol & not ready to wait, I think refund will be your only option. I know it will be frustrating, but sadly nothing can be done about this.
AkMar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 10:08   #18
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

This basically tells me that they forcefully launched the car when they were not ready for launch. Its almost like an Auto Expo preview and no real launch. Better way to do this IMO would have been to formally launch the petrol now and state diesel launch following a little later. Even then, better to delay the petrol launch a bit so the gap between two launches is not too much.

By launching a car with "first" lot deliveries they're only pissing off customers. But then, who better than VAG to teach the market a thing or two about pissing off customers. Just when you think they've exhausted all ways they come up with another trump card.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 10:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
It doesn't look like you are planning for a refund. To be honest, if you choose to accommodate this kind of crappy service, then no one can help.

Did you also try to verify the facts from other dealers in other states? Or are you believing the dealer 100% ?

I think he was referring to the benefits if one buy a brand new car for in March and the tax benefits associated with the purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
84 & 87 Skoda Superbs were dispatched to dealerships across India in the months of February & March respectively (refer to team-bhp's sales analysis report for month of March 2016).

I don't think all these cars are sitting in the stockyard, if so was the case then Skoda would not have dispatched after February. Or were they all just petrol varient?
I an not willing to believe that no cars were sold before April 15, 2016. I may be wrong. Sometimes dealerships alot booked cars to other customers owing to various reasons right from influence to paying extra premium. I am skeptical because it's Skoda and they have a very negative reputation when it comes to customer service.

Edit: Ignore my post. Just read in the official superb review and fellow members have confirmed by their posts that delivery for diesel varients would start after the months of Aug
Hey do let us know what JMD says, I'll check with Autobahn again today and update.

More than the fact that they might have emissions issues is the sheer disappointment that a company one has been loyal to for years would keep us in the dark like this and without much regard to be honest. The calls were mostly matter of fact vs. extremely apologetic with valid fixes to the issues at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
From the Superb official review thread:

So it is indeed true that there will be no deliveries. Dealer is not playing tricks as far as this fact is concerned. If you are not keen on petrol & not ready to wait, I think refund will be your only option. I know it will be frustrating, but sadly nothing can be done about this.
Hyper disappointed at this point as you would imagine. I'll been strung along and waiting for this car for months now ... only to be informed of this situation a day before delivery!

Last edited by GTO : 29th April 2016 at 14:01. Reason: Merging back to back posts
R170 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 12:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Skoda Superb booking horror story with Skoda Autobahn!

So we spoke to JMD today and yes it is true that delivery will not happen until August/September 2016. This is truly disappointing as we are in the process of selling off our current Superb. As a matter of fact the customer is taking delivery tomorrow. If we knew about the delay, we would have waited a bit longer before selling off the car.

We are working on our options now.
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 16:11   #21
BHPian

re: Skoda Superb Diesel: No deliveries until August. EDIT: Deliveries finally begin

There is a backlog of 50,000 Superbs in EU which they have a priority to fulfil. Indian customer is not of much importance to Skoda hence such treatment. Once EU backlog is cleared Indian deliveries will start.
manishk123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 16:16   #22
BHPian

re: Skoda Superb Diesel: No deliveries until August. EDIT: Deliveries finally begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
There is a backlog of 50,000 Superbs in EU which they have a priority to fulfil. Indian customer is not of much importance to Skoda hence such treatment. Once EU backlog is cleared Indian deliveries will start.
I'm not sure this is particularly true ... not that there might be a backlog but, the fact that India is one of their Top if not their Top market in terms of units sold today.

Most likely the emissions issue as discussed above but, none-the-less how they have been handling this situation is appalling and for those of us early awaiting their rides - a major let down.
Old 29th April 2016, 16:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R170 View Post
I'm not sure this is particularly true ... not that there might be a backlog but, the fact that India is one of their Top if not their Top market in terms of units sold today.

Most likely the emissions issue as discussed above but, none-the-less how they have been handling this situation is appalling and for those of us early awaiting their rides - a major let down.
My info is from a top company source. The delay has nothing to do with emissions issue or as earlier mentioned engine replacement issue.
manishk123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 16:33   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R170 View Post
the fact that India is one of their Top if not their Top market in terms of units sold today.

Skoda sells over 1 million vehicles per annum. In India, its 2015 sales were a paltry 15,000 cars. Europe accounts for an overwhelming majority of Skoda's worldwide sales. Take a look at one of their annual reports (sample) and you'll see that India is a tiny market for the brand.

Last edited by GTO : 29th April 2016 at 16:35.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 16:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Considering the VW scandal, the top company source is as believable as any top VW company source who had no clue what was happening with the scandal. Atleast many of them. So i would take it with a pinch of salt and tend to believe they are scared to get any product out till there is some concrete direction on the scandal.

Anyway, how can a company that already many hate (not the cars) continue to find avenues to be hated even more !!!

Oh SKODA..oh NO.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 16:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Europe accounts for an overwhelming majority of Skoda's worldwide sales.
And China. Statistics available on the internet show that Skoda has been delivering ~2000 Superbs per month in China since the car was launched there.

However, I still wonder why there is a restriction on diesel Superbs. The EU market is probably divided 50:50 as a whole between petrol and diesel, Superb has more petrol engine options in EU (1.4, 1.8, 2.0), plus the Dieselgate might have tempted more buyers to buy the petrol version. China is mostly a petrol-car market.

I don't think there is any relation to emission scandal. There isn't any such restriction on diesel Octavias for instance.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 17:38   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think it has anything to do with the emissions issue. Just simple demand and capacity mismatch. The new Superb much like the new Octavia is a hit in the EU and China and the demand is more than what Skoda projected. Production capacities have been created as per the projections and they simply don't have enough capacity to meet the demand. With India being a small and unimportant market for Skoda in the present scheme of things, they are not giving us enough priority.

I bet Skoda India does not want to be in this position right now i.e taking bookings and dealing with irate customers without being able to give them delivery. All the more reason why they should have learnt their lesson when they were faced with the same problem with the Octavia. Speaks of poor planning and mismanagement at the top level at Skoda India since they would've known the queue at the plant for months before launching the product.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 29th April 2016 at 17:40.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 18:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

I wanted to buy the Manual petrol, but my family put the foot down and blackmailed me that if we are getting the Superb it will be a A/T.
The petrol manual makes more than 300NM torque!
It might be even faster than the diesel.
It will be a hoot to drive. Plus no DSG concerns too.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 19:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:

Skoda sells over 1 million vehicles per annum. In India, its 2015 sales were a paltry 15,000 cars. Europe accounts for an overwhelming majority of Skoda's worldwide sales. Take a look at one of their annual reports (sample) and you'll see that India is a tiny market for the brand.
Point well taken ... Turns out China is a Boss market for them right now! See here
Old 29th April 2016, 23:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Even god takes just 9 months to make something as complex as a human being. Anyway.

I think they are prioritizing these kits for some other lucrative markets or, Is the ban on big diesel cars in Delhi one of the reasons for procrastination ?

I can only image how it would be if one waits for 8 months for this car and then it turns out to be a lemon as that is what Skoda is known for.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks