Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2006, 10:59   #16
BHPian

Naza...? sounds weird...

First of all, Naza is not a car manufacturer in Malaysia. They are more of assemblers! They sell Kia models with their name plates in My. Iam living SE Asia for the last 6 years and never heard of this little car.

lets see what happens to the national car manufacturer (maruti's counterpart!) in My. Proton, loss making company, backed by the govt is one of the lousiest car designer. they bought some technology from Mitsubishi (their Wira model is ditto of '93 lancer) and till date the Wira did not change at all! Proton tried to do something in India and last minute they decided against it!

Now we can assume what Naza can offer to India!
Old 29th September 2006, 12:42   #17
elf
BANNED

I say lets allow them all into the Indian market. Every half-arsed, cockneyed so-called automobile 'manufacturer'.

The customers, ultimately, will vote with their wallets.
Old 29th September 2006, 13:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
I say lets allow them all into the Indian market. Every half-arsed, cockneyed so-called automobile 'manufacturer'.

The customers, ultimately, will vote with their wallets.
Just like Sipani eh Elf!!
Old 24th October 2006, 13:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Those of you who have watched 'DON' will notice that parts of the film are conveniently shot at the NAZA WORLD used car (sorry - pre-owned and certified car!) showroom in KL.

And obviously all the fancy cars used in the film are from Naza. Including Boman Irani's "official" Kia Sorento, I guess
Old 11th January 2007, 19:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Some latest developments:

Naza to set up car plant near Chennai

Ot:
From the same article itself

Quote:
Mr Vellu would also be meeting Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, and plans to give a proposal on an All India Expressway project connecting Delhi and Kolkata, and another connecting Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Goa and Pune. "The Mumbai-Pune expressway was built by us (Malaysian companies), he said.
Old 14th January 2007, 07:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Maro sutta!!

Well if they maintain the quality standards, all the parts are locally made (not dependent on imports), have a dealer/service centre in my city and most important of all is cheaper than the competition then i don't mind buying/ owning it. Its better looking than the santro, estilo and wagon R..its main tall boy competitiors.

But they will have to change the name...cuz even after being a chain smoker....i will not drive a car with the name 'sutera'.

Dug some info on the car...and its not that bad. And remember almost all our desi companies (mahindra (willys), tata (mercedes)) started out as mere assemblers of products made in the west.

The Naza Sutera is a city car from Malaysian manufacturer, Naza and is distributed and sold by the Naza Group's new subsidiary company Naza Corporation.

Introduced on the 22nd of April 2006, the Sutera was based on the Hafei Lobo by Hafei Motor. which was styled & engineered by Pininfarina and features a Lotus-tuned suspension.

Lotus took care of the NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness), as well as Ride & Handling aspects of the base model. Naza R&D improved upon the base design and engineered a right-hand drive conversion, and also enhanced the front end, updating hood (with power bulge), headlights and bumper.

The Minor Model Change (MMC) work was done in collaboration with LG CNS in South Korea. Engine management is by Bosch, while some of the EFI components are from Siemens-VDO.

The 1.1 L straight-4 engine is an all-aluminium DOHC 16-Valve design from Harbin Dong-An Engine Manufacturing Company, a joint venture between Harbin Aviation, MCIC Holdings (Malaysian) & Mitsubishi Motors which has an output of about 65 PS (48 kW). Transmission is a 5-speed manual type, and an automatic is being explored.

It has a high level of equipment, including dual airbags, door intrusion bars, MP3 CD tuner & 6-speakers, 60:40 folding rear seats and height-adjustable ELR seatbelts.

The price is around Malaysian Ringgit 34700 (Rs.437,500).

Some pics:

Exteriors

Interiors

The NAZA SPORTIVO is the performance division of the company and offers performance tuned engines, kits and other mods.
The kitted Sutera:

NZ Galaxy Sdn Bhd

Articles:
MALAYSIAN MOTOR TRADER NEWS - FIRST LOOKS - Naza Sutera! (must read)
2006 Naza Sutera 1.1 Manual
Naza: Information from Answers.com (About Naza)
Old 14th January 2007, 11:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Basically its a back door entry for the first Chinese car to hit India.
Old 14th January 2007, 11:35   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldnt be surprised if the steering wheel has been "inspired" by the Indica's.

But the main Q to be asked at this point is whether the Indian market is right for the entry of obscure SE Asian/Chinese cars which will obviously have a cost-adv but would the Indian buyer trust them enough to own them over a min 5 yr duration?

Sitting here in India, the first dubious paradigm I would attribute to any Chinese/SEA manufacturer is their business ethics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks