Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2016, 14:20   #46
BHPian

re: Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
Where do you think all the heat absorbed by the body is going to? You can quote thermodynamics back here where in, heat flows from higher to lower temperatures to equate itself. And where do you think is the coldest area? Inside the cabin
All the heat absorbed by the body is not coming inside the cabin. The metallic body is a very good conductor of heat, but the cabin is not metallic. All the inner foam and upholstery of the car are not good conductor of heat.

Now coming to your question, I do not think but I have been taught and I know so.

The heat absorbed by the outer metallic shell is in a higher temperature state and by convection and radiation attains a thermal State of equilibrium with the air outside and not with the upholstery, simply because upholstery naturally doesn't supports conduction, convection or radiation.

Your assertion of flow of heat is true and logical but it happens in presence of medium that supports the flow of heat and in this case it's the air and not the fabric/leather upholstery.

Give a thought to your statement from business perspective. Had this been true black cars would have been coming fitted wih AC compressor of higher ratings for efficient cooling and that in itself would have made them pricier.

By the way, we are digressing off topic which says why is Maruti stopping the option of Black cars.

Last edited by cruising_rapid : 10th May 2016 at 14:25.
Old 10th May 2016, 17:20   #47
Team-BHP Support

With tints, every car looked or looks HOT. This was my ride and had done 47 months and 35k odd kms.

Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too-10806454_10152511308397596_4667823150184963940_n.jpg

In my black Scorpio, I am avoiding getting it tinted as I travel a lot in it including doing inter-state trips. But thinking to put a cheaper tint to enhance the looks. I believe manufacturers should launch cars in black. Maybe, my next SUV will be in black as well. White is just too common.

Who won't want this?
Attached Thumbnails
Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too-10885013_10152605230567596_8519176787864001749_n.jpg  

Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 21:59   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising_rapid View Post
When I was in the market researching for my car, I was advised by Toyota and Skoda sales guy not to go for black colour.
They gave three reasons for this :
3. Black cars would heat up more and AC will have to work harder as compared to lighter shades.
I feel pity on these kind of people. Irritatingly, I taught the second law of thermodynamics (System and surrounding concept) to this man explaining how the AC is responsible for cooling the cabin(mostly beige colour) and cabin only which is completely insulated from the outer paint surface of the car.
May be those sales guys were not as ignorant as you thought...

I remember MythBusters doing a show on this too, but a casual search didn't bring it up.
im_srini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 23:29   #49
BHPian

My first car was a used Black Astra and it was not bought on color preference but I fell in love with the color so much that when I bought a used black Honda City (2009 model) a couple years later, I ended up paying a premium for it because it was the only black City available online. When I wanted to upgrade to Honda City face-lift AT, the plan was dropped because they didn't have black color. The sales guy gave me a weird look when I rejected the black-like color he showed me. You can list a million reasons against black color, but no other color can beat the shine of black after a quick wash.
bordeaux is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 08:21   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
May be those sales guys were not as ignorant as you thought..

I remember MythBusters doing a show on this too, but a casual search didn't bring it up.
This video shows the heat signature on the paint surface of the car and not inside the cabin for which AC is responsible.

At 0:25 and 0:33, if you notice it's visible that while the heat on the paint surface is more on a black car the thermal colour of both the cabins are almost identical. What this video says is not supported by what it shows through the Infra-red camera. Comments below the video also discuss the same.
Old 11th May 2016, 10:38   #51
BHPian

Re: Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising_rapid View Post
This video shows the heat signature on the paint surface of the car and not inside the cabin for which AC is responsible.
We have a WagonR (black) and Alto (White). In general even with full AC I would feel the heat from top of the cabin hovering over the head in WagonR. However, many times I have driven Alto without AC.

But again, black always looks good and classy, specially when you keep in clean. WagonR after 7 years of ownership!
Attached Thumbnails
Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too-p1100599.jpg  

LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 10:41   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Mythbusters 2005 season, Episode 38 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBu...s_Revisited.22). Was not able to find the clip on YouTube, but quoting from the Wikipedia article:

Quote:
A fan wrote in and asked a follow up question: "Does the color of a car affect the way it heats up?". The MythBusters used two identical cars, one black the other white and left them both out in the summer heat with thermometers in both. By mid-afternoon the white car had a temperature of 126 °F (52.2 °C), while the black car had heated up to a temperature of 135 °F (57.2 °C), about 9 degrees hotter in the Fahrenheit scale. The explanation was that black paint absorbs heat while white paint reflects it.
Myth confirmed!
Old 11th May 2016, 10:41   #53
BHPian

Here's a link with some interesting Car Paint Color choice from across the globe including India : http://www.axaltacs.com/content/dam/...ity-Report.pdf

Black is only about 3% of our color choice in India.
Old 11th May 2016, 12:28   #54

Black is best suited color in sedans. As per me no car looks as good as it looks in black. Black is best color when you keep it waxed. It has now become a ritual and custom for me to devote min 2 hrs in a week to keep it up to date and polished.
Attached Thumbnails
Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too-img_20151114_110646.jpg  

Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too-img_20151114_110651.jpg  

Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too-img_20151114_110656.jpg  

Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too-img_20151114_110702.jpg  

KartJ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 08:01   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Is Volkswagen too moving away from Black. Its latest launch Ameo confirms so. Gray seems to be the new color replacing black- Granite Gray from Maruti Suzuki and Carbon steel from Volkswagen are examples of Gray.

Colors options of Volkwagen Ameo!

Why is Maruti doing away with 'Black' colour? EDIT: Other manufacturers too-ame.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th May 2016 at 08:06.
Old 12th May 2016, 13:52   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

BASF has revealed its Automotive Colour Trends for 2016-17 .

Metallic colours on the rise globally, fresh blue-green emerging choice in APAC. In addition, Asians are looking for creativity and quality, which can be found in the delicate textures of a metallic sand beige colour, demonstrating the connection between traditional values and typical Asian elegance.
Europe
Quote:
A major colour direction for the automotive industry is represented by ASMR Blue: an intense metallic blue, which combines a digital look and feel with a materialised metallic effect. Blue in general will gain market share with the help of these possible refreshments
http://www.autocarpro.in/news-intern...ice-apac-19790

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th May 2016 at 13:54.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 10:55   #57
Senior - BHPian

Couple of colors which should be there but removed by car makers. Black, deep blue, deep/british racing green, bright red, rich dark maroon. Most of these shades used to exist in earlier cars but have been gradually discontinued from the line up. A slew of new colors like a copper, toffee, coffee brown, pukish green, metallic light blue, metallic shiny blue, shiny yellow etc have made their presence felt. The award must be given to Maruti for introducing what looks like cow dung crossed with some other excretory yellow color which they adorn their Celerio with.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 27th June 2016 at 10:56.
Old 8th May 2017, 12:46   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
While browsing Maruti's website, I noticed that except Ciaz and Dzire, no other car from Maruti stable is available in black color.

Is it just me or there are other black shade lovers who might not be very happy with Maruti doing away with black color?
Come 2017, BLACK is gone from DZIRE too Hopefully they retain the Pearl Black in their Ciaz, that's one Sexy color on the car
Old 8th May 2017, 16:31   #59
BHPian

This seems to be yet another disappointing trend in the Indian car scene.

Sad to see ugly colours like baby-diarrhea yellow (Brezza) and sad silver taking precedence over classy black.
ashwin489 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 18:10   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetroTurbo View Post
Come 2017, BLACK is gone from DZIRE too Hopefully they retain the Pearl Black in their Ciaz, that's one Sexy color on the car
IIRC, the 2nd gen Swift and the Dzire had black color as an option when launched in 2011 and 2012 respectively, but the black color was done away with in both the models once they received facelifts in 2015.

Today, the only Marutis I know which are available in Black color are:

1. Omni
2. Eeco
3. Ciaz

Black, albeit hard to maintain, has a very nice benefit attached to it-No tension while color matching.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks