Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2016, 20:24   #31
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 to get more powerful engine

Low power and inadequate rear seat comfort were the main reasons for me to back out after making a booking for TUV 300 T8. I bought S Cross 200 Zeta afterwards. I mentioned these points while cancelling my booking.

I am happy that both these problems are now sorted, but at the same time sad because I really loved the vehicle and wanted to buy it. If there was a little hint about this upgrade at that time, I would have waited!
Old 12th May 2016, 21:24   #32
ISO
BANNED

A proper 4 cylinder engine for TUV would have been awesome. This is deliberate move by Mahindra to protect sell of XUV.
Old 12th May 2016, 22:13   #33
BHPian

needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 22:17   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Short review of the updated TUV300 by Overdrive:

Quote:
Mahindra claims to have increased the under thigh support in the second row. While 6ft plus folks will barely notice any change, those below and present at the drive noticed how their legs are no longer in a suspended state. There is also now that provision for isofix seats.

Another addition, which Mahindra says is because of again listening to customers, is that male voice reminding you that you’re using the eco mode. In the earlier version, customers would rather use the mode and be confused as to why their TUV requires an extra push at the accelerator pedal to keep it in motion. Should you ignore the voice (trust me, it’s hard), there is a message on the infotainment system. Speaking of which Mahindra haven’t upgraded the unit to a touchscreen one yet.

However, like the NuvoSport which shares the same engine, the TUV300 does indeed sound more refined and is slightly more rev happy now. The strong low end lugging capability has been further enhanced with the use of the twin stage turbocharged 100PS/240Nm 1.5-litre diesel engine. We managed to drive at 20kmph in 3rd gear. The engine at this point doesn’t knock or even protest. If you are wondering about efficiency, there is a minor drop, according to ARAI figures (18.04kmpl vs 18.47kmpl). You can order your 100PS TUV300 in 5-speed manual as well as AMT guises. The latter especially after all the feedback from customers and media alike, is claimed to have been extensively reworked and gets revised shift points.
Mahindra TUV300 to get more powerful engine-mahindratuv300_100ps_13.jpg

Mahindra TUV300 to get more powerful engine-mahindratuv300_100ps_12.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 22:52   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post
A proper 4 cylinder engine for TUV would have been awesome. This is deliberate move by Mahindra to protect sell of XUV.
There's Scorpio to protect before XUV. If they plonk the 2.2L in this thing, Scorpio would have very few takers.
Old 13th May 2016, 08:47   #36
BHPian

The new engine is available only on the T8 variant.
The ex-Showroom Mumbai is 886792. The price increase over the normal T8 is less than 10k! Who will buy the lower powered engine now?
I am guessing Mahindra will discontinue the lower powered engine on T8 once stocks are gone.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 11:11   #37
BHPian

I am copying the mail sent by one of the fellow TUV T8 owner to mahindra officials, as give below:
Dear All @ Team Mahindra

A very warm good morning from the bottom of my heart and I feel myself really proud and privileged to be a part of the Mahindra TUV 300 family and same is the feeling of 250+ proud TUV owners from across the length and breadth of our nation who are also a part of a TUV dedicated online forum and are connected with each other through various means discussing about the niggles and problems being faced resolutions of the same and also sharing our experiences. Off late we have been hearing about the launch of a more powerful TUV 300 with a retuned engine producing 100 bhp as compared to the current ones at 84 bhp and we were really glad to see the new one launched on 12.05.16 with a huge price difference of approximately 8-10 k when compared to the current version which I also own a manual T8 which I bought on 25.02.16 and I really feel obliged by Team Mahindra after around 2.5 months of ownership and same is the plight of other fellow owners. We really feel like we have been crowned as the most foolish new car owners by Team Mahindra after seeing this new retuned vehicle.

Would request you to kindly reply to my below mentioned queries and incase justified answers are not available would request Team Mahindra to please keep my vehicle with them and refund my entire hard earned money. Would also request you t kindly refer to the attached Email which has the entire chain of mails which describes the Mental Torture and agony I have faced right from the Day1 of my purchase at the hands of the unethical dealership and Team Mahindra and now it appears to me that this is the way a customer is treated and is the norm to fool the customers
  • Why is a 100 bhp model launched and no upgrade options or retuning options available for the existing customers??
  • What is the financial impact on the resale value of my car say 3 years down the line when no one will be willing to purchase a 84 bhp vehicle when already there will be a 100 bhp vehicle available?? Either my car goes for a discounted value over and above the already depreciated value or no buyers available or I need to fool someone else as you people are doing.
  • Is this really the way Mahindra Top Management thinks and strategizes?? Really shocked and surprised first produce a under powered vehicle (I wasn’t forced to buy one but yes till such time no 100 bhp version was available and yes I bought a T8 which was the highest variant) and then sell 25000+ units in around 6 months then overnight stop the production of 84 bhp ones and shoot a 100 bhp version down and make customers like us feel like a fool after spending close to 10 lac INR.
  • Can you please let me know my mistake?? Was it that I trusted a so called Global Brand and the ethics of an Indian company??
  • When there was going to be a product enhancement why were the customers not informed about the same?? Or was it to clear out the scrap Mahindra had already produced and choke it down the throat of the unaware customers?? Nice sales strategy I must say but was it ever thought the amount of dissatisfaction and negativity spread amongst those 25000+ customers to whom you have already sold.
  • One of my friends has bought a AMT version with 81 bhp and struggling right from Day 1 and now you people have simply discarded the 81 bhp model and he is a proud owner of the said version after spending more than 10 lacs which is no longer available within less than 6 months of the ownership…..great going I think his car should be kept as a memento in Mahindra Plant

The purpose of this entire mail is just to bring to your kind attention that we(a group of 250+ TUV owners from various parts of the country) are collectively going to lodge a complaint against Mahindra as breach of trust and dissatisfaction in Consumer Court and with other regulatory authorities in case no solution is provided to us with immediate effect as this is simple cheating on the part of Mahindra and such a behavior is not at all expected and/or acceptable.
ezee is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 11:40   #38
ISO
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
There's Scorpio to protect before XUV. If they plonk the 2.2L in this thing, Scorpio would have very few takers.
Fully agreed. TUV comes much closer to Scorpio than XUV.
Old 13th May 2016, 14:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
10 nm of additional torque would be enough to overcome whatever inherent mechanical resistance/inertia that may be present in the AMT in question.
10NM of torque increase in this case is an increase of merely 4%. I dont think this will make much difference in the AMT's performance.
AMTs are inherently jerky, and it completely depends on the prowess of the Manufacturer, how well they can integrate and tune it to make it smooth and efficient.
In the TUV's case it looks like it is not at all well tuned, has buggy software and is out of sync with the engine. I think, no amount of power can compensate for lack of fine tuning.
Old 13th May 2016, 15:30   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
The purpose of this entire mail is just to bring to your kind attention that we(a group of 250+ TUV owners from various parts of the country) are collectively going to lodge a complaint against Mahindra as breach of trust and dissatisfaction in Consumer Court and with other regulatory authorities in case no solution is provided to us with immediate effect as this is simple cheating on the part of Mahindra and such a behavior is not at all expected and/or acceptable.
Was the issues with the T8 AMT started after some time of owning, or from the beginning itself? If it was from the beginning on-wards, did the test-drive show any of the symptoms then?
Old 13th May 2016, 16:25   #41
BHPian

Why can't Mahindra add another cylinder instead of carrying forward the 3 Cylinder block?
Atleast it would be a great way to differentiate the top end variants! Pay a little more for better driveability and power. If tight on budget you still get the option of 100 BHP 3 Cylinder tune. I don't think people would mind shelling out a little extra if they get better driving experience and NVH Levels. Seeing a lot of private car owners buying the TUV300.
Additionally, I don't think it will harm any other Mahindra vehicle in it's portfolio, Scorpio is a segment above. Frankly, Nuvosport needs to be dis-continued, I don't know for what are they even selling it? The Bolero is a segment lower and caters to a different set of customers altogether, it's more popular in the rural areas whereas TUV has been targeting Urban customers. It's quite safe to assume I guess that Xylo is dead by now. So, in fact I think it's a necessity for Mahindra to have a decent powerful engine in the 7-11 lakh Mark.
Old 13th May 2016, 16:55   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Was the issues with the T8 AMT started after some time of owning, or from the beginning itself? If it was from the beginning on-wards, did the test-drive show any of the symptoms then?
There is nothing related to low power or pickup only, the issues mentioned are like AMT failure, failure of Fuel Delivery Module, Jerks in low speeds and overall inconsistent behaviour. Which cant be observed while test drives.

The inconsistency of mHawk80 TUV AMT forced Mahindra to discontinue it and launch a new refined system with mHawk100 engine.
Old 13th May 2016, 17:19   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am copying the mail sent by one of the fellow TUV T8 owner to mahindra officials, as give below:
Misses to highlight the key point IMO - Why would anyone book a new launch from M&M anymore? An upgrade might be launched after 7 days. One maybe handed a bagful of problems advertised as 'features'. Your email should have hit this point home with minimal emotions.

Going legal and all is for later. M&M may not have breached any contract and thus may not be on the wrong side of the law but it's the trust that is at stake here. The communication should have highlighted that.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 13th May 2016 at 17:21.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 17:43   #44
BHPian

The way I understand, it must have been the case where mHawk 100 was there in the original plan, may be only on the top end, but Mahindra was not ready with the vehicle at the time of launch so they would have decided launching only with 84 PS and later on offer this engine on top end.
Old 13th May 2016, 19:13   #45
BHPian

Quote:
The purpose of this entire mail is just to bring to your kind attention that we(a group of 250+ TUV owners from various parts of the country) are collectively going to lodge a complaint against Mahindra as breach of trust and dissatisfaction in Consumer Court and with other regulatory authorities in case no solution is provided to us with immediate effect as this is simple cheating on the part of Mahindra and such a behavior is not at all expected and/or acceptable.</blockquote>
For the bump in power part, while I wholeheartedly understand the sense of betrayal among early adopters and rightfully so, I wonder if a legal recourse would be any help in this case. I say this because even a Rs.10,000 mobile phone brochure states on every page the following : "Specifications may change without prior notice" . On the contrary, I really hope M&M offers any acceptable and viable compensation, like what Maruti did to early S-Cross owners.

As for the oblique reference and admittance to a not so smoothly operating AMT, I think owners are well within their rights to push for a recall and possibly a replacement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks