Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2016, 08:28   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2016 Toyota Etios Facelift. Now launched at 6.43 lakh

The instrument cluster with the new ICE set up does look good in the pictures above. Lets see if this really does make any effect on sales.

Regarding the debate above, I feel Toyota should have swallowed its ego and returned to the standard position for the instrument panel. It isn't about the pros and cons of the placement of the panel. But when most people are wary of buying it just based on that position, then they should have tried to address that. Ofcourse unless it means they have to redesign the whole car from scratch and its a financial nightmare!
Old 30th July 2016, 09:26   #32
BHPian

I just fail to understand the thick-headedness of 'enthusiasts' about the dash design. Are we driving with blinders on or are just bothered with the RPM-speed correlation every single second of the drive? And, who is being arrogant if we are pulling down the whole package to a point of sales figures impact because we have to move our eyes a few degrees horizontally instead of vertically? RVMs must be monitored better than the speedo, and going by this logic, every car should do away with the left outer ones and place the inner ones right above our noses as well.

Come on, guys! Enough about the dash. Have we seriously run out of more qualitative aspects and features to discuss?
atrocious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 09:35   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrocious View Post
I just fail to understand the thick-headedness of 'enthusiasts' about the dash design.

Come on, guys! Enough about the dash. Have we seriously run out of more qualitative aspects and features to discuss?
Is it possible that you might have failed to understand the issue completely? It isn't about the " thick-headedness of enthusiasts" that is the problem here. If that would be the case then the 99.9% non-thick headed enthusiasts would have happily lapped up the product and just like all other Toyota cars, these two would be seeing a good number of sales, if not necessarily the segment leader.

It is about aesthetics. No one needs to look at the RPM needle to know how much he is revving the engine. Any regular driver knows what gear is the car in, what is the approximate speed he is doing and how much is the engine revving. These things come to you naturally when you drive. But we all like to see our cars in a certain way. And over the years we have come to accept those. The central dash design is a violation of that concept and most people hated it. It is the same like placing the power window switches in between the two front seats. The large majority of the car buying population hate it. So before you start ridiculing the members here, please take a moment and first understand the issue at hand.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 09:47   #34
BHPian

Okay, one thing at a time. First, let's talk about ridiculing. Where's the real 'ridicule' here if we're attributing the sales figures of a car only to the placement of the speedo without even bothering to look at what else, if at all, may be a reason?
Second, no regular driver actually needs it that much proves the point to some extent. In contrast, placement of power window switches is not purely aesthetic, so we have an apples-and-oranges there; though there may be a little dexterity bias in there too.
Third, yes, let's understand the issue-the real issue-with the Etios twin sales rather than being too sensitive. That's what I'm trying to do, because as far as I have read up here, people who actually own one have reported no issues around the aesthetic or utility of it, with an exception of the earlier versions being too bright, which has nothing to do with placement.

Last edited by atrocious : 30th July 2016 at 09:52.
atrocious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 10:38   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The Etios is undoubtedly a good vehicle. Ive used lots of them as Uber Taxis and the ride quality, power, torque and general behaviour is first class.

Compared with Hyundai and its foolish 1.2 litre gutless petrol engines, Etios offers a more powerful package which is certainly better.

In fact, I m hassled at my Dad's 3 year old I20 which is wheezy and gutless and has no "juice" to overtake when on highways and has nothing to really recommend it other than its host of features and great service network.

Im thinking I will get them a Toyota Etios Petrol version soon to replace that dunderhead I20.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 11:17   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Compared with Hyundai and its foolish 1.2 litre gutless petrol engines, Etios offers a more powerful package which is certainly better.

In fact, I m hassled at my Dad's 3 year old I20 which is wheezy and gutless and has no "juice" to overtake when on highways and has nothing to really recommend it other than its host of features and great service network.
Almost a common trait with most of these heavy sub-4m cars. Elite i20 in fact does a somewhat better job as compared to the new Jazz, Polo, Figo, Liva petrol etc with 1.2 NA petrol options.

Etios stays away from this sub-4m formula and has a much better 1.5L under the hood.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 11:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

I think most Toyota Etios detractors here have never really spent a considerable amount of time driving it. The 1.5 petrol is really a very refined and powerful motor and frankly better than almost anything that is naturally aspirated till about 10L INR worth of car. I really don't understand the fuss of a centrally mounted instrument cluster. It takes absolutely zero effort to get used to it. I speak from actual experience as I own 2 cars with centrally mounted clusters and 2 with traditionally mounted clusters.

Yes I would love to see Vaios or a better looking Etios but frankly I really believe the Etios is a car for those looking for a powerful, spacious and reliable car that doesn't cost the earth and is cheap and frugal to maintain. It will be replaced in due time but atleast its good to see the Etios see the Vento way of getting periodic upgrades.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 11:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

I have a Liva with the 1.5 litre petrol engine - essentially Etios petrol minus the boot - for three years now. I don't drive it regularly and I did so yesterday after a long time to drive it to its annual service. I was again reminded of how brilliant the car is, running flawlessly in every respect, like new, BEFORE the service. The engine isn't a wimp, and coming from an i20 petrol before this car, that is joy!

The real problem with the car are low rent looking interiors, and even how they feel to the touch. Hard wearing no doubt, but people don't want just that these days, they want to feel coddled by the car. Unfortunately for Toyota, what worked for Qualis doesn't work today; also the market segment is different. Toyota needs to find a way to do with it, what they have done with the new Innova, but at the same price point. And I am referring to just the quality of the interiors, without retooling and expensive things like instrument relocation - that isn't needed, if it was to look more than a tacky stuck on children's toy car thing as it does today. Functionally, it has zero issues.

Driving ergonomics are also spot on, aided by how responsive the engine is. Interior packaging too is top class with respect to space and comfort.

The icing on the cake is the quality of after sales. I can only talk of DSK in Pune, and all I have to say is they are world class in every aspect, right up to billing speeds. It is a pleasure to deal with them, and even if it wasn't just once a year, I wouldn't mind it! But it is, and I am very sure that I won't regret buying the car as one to use for at least a decade.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 13:14   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota has launched the 2016 Etios in it's highest-spec trim in Brazil, dubbed as "Platinum".

Looks like this is what we will be getting as the Etios "refresh" in India as well, because the Etios facelift spotted doing the testing rounds on our roads is strikingly similar to this "Platinum" variant, with re-designed and chunky front/rear bumpers, wide side skirts and a rear spoiler.

Other changes include an all-new alloy design, all-black interiors, round AC vents, a new steering wheel design and a completely digital instrument cluster.

The 2016 Etios facelift is expected to be launched in India later this year.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 3rd August 2016 at 13:15.
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 13:57   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

The front bumper negates the front grille which I thought would be ugly. Overall, looks like they tried for the Prius/USDM Corolla look.

And the rear bumper, I don't care if it's ugly. It's nicely chunky and big in this era of flush fitting wafer thin useless bumpers.

The rest all changes have been done earlier in the Brazil Etios. But it's high time Toyota launched the new tophat for Etios. Seven years is too long for the same body shape.
Old 3rd August 2016, 14:03   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
And the rear bumper, I don't care if it's ugly. It's nicely chunky and big in this era of flush fitting wafer thin useless bumpers
What makes you think Etios bumpers are thick plastic, irrespective how chunky it is, it is still wafer thin. Unless Toyota suddenly woke up to give a heavy build, thick bumpers are a distant dream.
nkrishnap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 15:48   #42
Senior - BHPian

If the chunky one forms a crumple zone that will absorb some impact energy, it is still better than a flat one of the same material that won't.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 16:08   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

And here are fresh spyshots of the Etios facelift being tested in India.

2016 Toyota Etios Facelift. Now launched at 6.43 lakh-toyotaetiosfaceliftgrillespied.jpg

2016 Toyota Etios Facelift. Now launched at 6.43 lakh-toyotaetiosfaceliftfrontspied.jpg

2016 Toyota Etios Facelift. Now launched at 6.43 lakh-toyotaetiosfaceliftinteriorspied.jpg

Looks like the same old beige interiors & the same steering-wheel. Even the Head Unit doesn't look updated.

Seems like all changes will be limited to the exteriors only. Even then, the alloys seem to be unchanged too.

For all the money, Brazil still gets the better facelift. At least, a proper facelift.

IAB

Last edited by RavenAvi : 3rd August 2016 at 16:13.
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 18:46   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

I am perplexed at what is Toyota testing with the facelift. Are they testing if the new bumpers will cling on to the body?
nkrishnap is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 19:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

That is a good question - the Etios has excellent mechanicals. A dated, but not ugly exterior, but one that looks better without the bling that has been added to it at times.

What it need is a boost to how the interiors look and feel - a design change isn't necessary, that will be difficult to implement, but better materials can deliver a nice to be in feel to the car, which is missing.

The ugly Qualis delivered excellent value; the potential that the Etios/Liva has to just the same isn't being realised because Toyota is missing the point.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks