Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2016, 00:02   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2016 Toyota Etios Facelift. Now launched at 6.43 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
And here are fresh spyshots of the Etios facelift being tested in India. Looks like the same old beige interiors & the same steering-wheel. Even the Head Unit doesn't look updated.
Toyota has lost the plot completely when it comes to design, even their much hyped sister brand Lexus has been mangled with that spindle grill. Etios was never meant to scorch the roads with its looks or presence, but it nevertheless made a strong case as an econo-box with neutral design at best, much like how the older Innova was.

What on earth were they thinking when they "enhanced" the bottom rear part of the bumper to sag a couple of inches more, I've no idea. When comparing with the current Etios there is surely a kink in the lower area of the rear bumper in the new one and is intentionally done so to create thickness yet disturbing the balance between the front and back. The interiors, lets face it, its not good.. utilitarian but not good by any measure. If normal facelifts need a magnifying glass to differentiate then this one needs a microscope if the regular buyer has to tell the changes.

Spacious, utilitarian, value - yes. This car loses the game other than that, its simply not well built enough (not in the safety sense, I know it got 4 stars) but in terms of interiors, door shut, ride comfort, and overall refinement this ranks lower than other Asian brands. When using Uber I've found even a Dzire more comfortable seating wise and that's saying something. They've flogged this shape and interior long enough, time for a total re-haul.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 06:35   #62
Senior - BHPian

Wow! This is exactly what the fleet operators have been praying for ! A face lifted Etios! Now most consumers will demand that they be offered the new version rather than the old for taxis since the new one is "so much better"!

I mean what is Toyota even thinking? They are clearly not geared up to launch the vios for the next 18 months at least, so they think this will do the trick! No it won't! The only folks buying these are the fleet operators and they don't care about any of this. Honestly, even the taxi folks seem to be buying the Etios only because the Diesel engine is quite reliable, the car seems easy to maintain and lastly there aren't a lot options, leaving aside the Verito and the Dzire tour. I have actually had many cabbies tell me that the Verito / Logan is a far better car overall.

Sad, really, on one hand Toyota launches the new Innova in India almost the same time as the global launch and on the other hand we don't have access to decent hatchbacks and C segment sedans.
Old 8th August 2016, 14:16   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Is it possible that you might have failed to understand the issue completely? It isn't about the " thick-headedness of enthusiasts" that is the problem here. If that would be the case then the 99.9% non-thick headed enthusiasts would have happily lapped up the product and just like all other Toyota cars, these two would be seeing a good number of sales, if not necessarily the segment leader.

It is about aesthetics. No one needs to look at the RPM needle to know how much he is revving the engine. Any regular driver knows what gear is the car in, what is the approximate speed he is doing and how much is the engine revving. These things come to you naturally when you drive. But we all like to see our cars in a certain way. And over the years we have come to accept those. The central dash design is a violation of that concept and most people hated it. It is the same like placing the power window switches in between the two front seats. The large majority of the car buying population hate it. So before you start ridiculing the members here, please take a moment and first understand the issue at hand.
Absolutely, totally & completely agree with mohit, its the way we've come to accept our cars & their wares & any concept violating our perceived acceptance will create action inertia, which reflects rather handsomely in the sales etios twins have garnered for toyota.
And if what toyota says & wants us to believe that centrally located dials are more driver friendly then why have they not incorporated this concept in their other best sellers, the innova, the altis & the fortuner??? simply because even they know that despite the user convenience central dials will kill those outstanding products.
Although there is little doubt that etios twins are not technically sound, but the thick headedness of Toyota is more responsible for killing, what could have been segment leaders
IMHO!!!
Old 8th August 2016, 17:35   #64
BHPian

The Etios facelift looks good, the face is now aggressive, thanks to the redesigned grill and bumper. With an impressive NCAP crash rating, the Etios is a good option if Toyota tweaks the dash design with conventional placement of center console and aircon vents.

2016 Toyota Etios Facelift. Now launched at 6.43 lakh-etios.jpg

2016 Toyota Etios Facelift. Now launched at 6.43 lakh-etios-2.jpg

The Liva hatch looks hot with this new face, the alloys are drool worthy

2016 Toyota Etios Facelift. Now launched at 6.43 lakh-liva.jpg

2016 Toyota Etios Facelift. Now launched at 6.43 lakh-liva-1.jpg

2016 Toyota Etios Facelift. Now launched at 6.43 lakh-liva-2.jpg

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-gal...ry-402696.aspx

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 8th August 2016 at 17:40.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 18:02   #65
BANNED

Apart from the front area, the exterior does not seems to have a major change. In the interior, though an uplift from earlier model but still a lot need to be done. I still don’t understand the reason of placing the instrument cluster at the center. Is there any benefit? I saw the same in vista but later on it was corrected in bolt.

The flap type door handles looks very outdated. Placement of AC vents also look very strange. Considering it’s a very good structurally built car with good engine options, it may do well but as a prospective buyer I may not put my money on this unless they change their interior to match the competition.
Old 8th August 2016, 18:38   #66
BHPian

Yet again, they forgot to put the speedometer console where it belongs. This could have been a welcome change for the Etios.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 19:41   #67
Senior - BHPian

If Toyota is able to add automatic capability, particularly to their diesel Liva, they might still have winner on their hand; centre console or not!
After all, their service standards are not only unmatched, they are way ahead of the field, and of the kind needed for those that are in the taxi trade, or those that want a car that will last for the time the flat handles again become fashionable:-).
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 19:46   #68
BHPian

When their Fortuner and Innova cannot be sold in Delhi and Karnataka, atleast at that time they should think about working on their cars in the budget car segment. The Etios and Liva are really sturdy, reliable and comfortable but yet people refrain from buying. They look old inside out! Brazil was a bit lucky to get better interiors but the Indian spy shots show the same old story.

I would have bought it even if they give only better interiors!
Old 8th August 2016, 21:35   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
This car surely does not appeal to the private car buyer, however, look at the sales charts and the car clocks an average of 2300 units a month. While this number ain't much, it is higher than some popular cars. Heck; the Etios out sells Tata's bread and butter Indica too.

The Etios offers a lot more room than all the chopped boot sedans and costs the same. Airbags and ABS are standard too.

If we are getting that new digital instrument console, I must say, it does look nice. Reminds me of the Honda Civic.
I think 80% of those 2300 cars go to Uber and Ola Drivers !
Old 9th August 2016, 07:48   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

NEW Etios Platinum, for Brazilian market, in Video,

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th August 2016 at 07:52.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 22:17   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Updated Etios And Etios Liva Confirmed For Launch During Festive Season .
Currently in India Toyota dealers are offering a reasonable discounts on its existing Etios and Etios Liva across the country.

Quote:
the facelifted Toyota Etios and Etios Live models now sport a V-shaped grille with black inserts and some chrome to finish with. The front bumper in black compliments the fog lamps. The car's dimensions remains unchanged and car also gets new 15 inch alloy wheels, The existing cars comes with 14 inch wheels. The top-end trim of the car launched in Brazil gets all black piano trim interiors with touch-screen infotainment system with navigation
Link
Old 26th August 2016, 11:00   #72
Senior - BHPian

No doubt Etios twins are very capable cars, but i dont know why Toyota has so much of Ego!!

When i scouted for new car, Etios was rejected by family purely because of the cab like feel and the cab like quality(Thin sheet metal, ancient door handles, dash positioning and lack of features)

That was way back in 2013 and even after 3 years, i only see Toyota working on that front grill multiple times and nothing else !!

How hard is it for them to change the Dash layout ? Honda could do it for Amaze and it actually looks better now.
rajshenoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 17:54   #73
BHPian

Can they stop flogging the same dead horse? And get the Vios on the double?

I mean they do not have to be an Einstein to know that most people have rejected it as their private vehicle. Mostly for the looks and specially that truck-like dashboard.

And they do have a competent offering like Vios which can stand-up to City and Ciaz.
Old 26th August 2016, 18:04   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
NEW Etios Platinum, for Brazilian market, in Video,
I quite like the shape now, i still remember the launch here in BLR, this should have been the version they should have launched THEN!

Toyota is really slow in these matters in India, i think they need to fire the complete market research and new product advisory for India ASAP

How long will they sit on models that can actually sell like hot cakes in India?!
Old 26th August 2016, 22:28   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Can they stop flogging the same dead horse? And get the Vios on the double?

I mean they do not have to be an Einstein to know that most people have rejected it as their private vehicle. Mostly for the looks and specially that truck-like dashboard.

And they do have a competent offering like Vios which can stand-up to City and Ciaz.

Vios? That would have worked in 2012 or 2014.. The current gen Vios is no better than the ciaz or the city and just doesn't have anything to be the segment
Leader. With the new Verna due next year, the vios will be just another contender in the c segment. No real USP over the ciaz or the city. I'm sure the new Verna will be the segment benchmark in all aspects. Expect Hyundai to offer 2-3 engines, automatics from day one. Toyota will take years to get there.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks