Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2016, 20:57   #76
BHPian

re: 2016 Toyota Etios Facelift. Now launched at 6.43 lakh

Me thinks a projector will make the front more funky! Those h/l housing looks very dated in comparison with the bumpers.

The upgrade looks more apt on the Liva than on sedan.

Edit :

Second thoughts! the bumpers are way too funky for the car, esp those bland sides profiles! Anyways, whose complaining.

Last edited by anand.shankar : 28th August 2016 at 20:58.
Old 30th August 2016, 11:40   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Carwale confirms that Toyota Kirloskar Motor will launch the Etios facelift on September 13th.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 12:25   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Carwale confirms that Toyota Kirloskar Motor will launch the Etios facelift on September 13th.
Can you please confirm if the Indian Etios will get the Brazil spec black interiors and digital cluster?
Old 30th August 2016, 12:48   #79
PCS
BHPian

This month Auto Car India has covered India Exclusive changes for Etios

there is a new meter but different from brazil
PCS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 13:17   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Can you please confirm if the Indian Etios will get the Brazil spec black interiors and digital cluster?
Judging by the scoop pics earlier in this thread, I would say nope. Beige interiors only.

As for the central console speedo cluster, look carefully in the third pic, above the steering wheel. You can make out the speedometer dial's needle in white, at the very edge of the picture. So, safe to assume that there will be no digital cluster on offer either.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 14:23   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Vios? That would have worked in 2012 or 2014.. The current gen Vios is no better than the ciaz or the city and just doesn't have anything to be the segment
Leader. With the new Verna due next year, the vios will be just another contender in the c segment. No real USP over the ciaz or the city. I'm sure the new Verna will be the segment benchmark in all aspects. Expect Hyundai to offer 2-3 engines, automatics from day one. Toyota will take years to get there.

well said, but seemingly Toyota have made their peace with the me too thing in this segment, since their total inability to offer competing products in the hatch & small sedan segment is pretty apparent. That said, Toyota is profitably milking the MUV & SUV segments, because none of their slayers read- Maruti, Hyundai etc have offerings to match Toyota there. And the reason Toyota is that generous on discounts on the Etios twins is because they are duds which only cabbies buy, had these twins been at one of the top three slots Toyota wouldn't have blinked twice before pricing them at a slot above price line
Old 30th August 2016, 14:51   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
This month Auto Car India has covered India Exclusive changes for Etios

there is a new meter but different from brazil
Could you please post the scanned images of this month's magazine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Judging by the scoop pics earlier in this thread, I would say nope. Beige interiors only.

As for the central console speedo cluster, look carefully in the third pic, above the steering wheel. You can make out the speedometer dial's needle in white, at the very edge of the picture. So, safe to assume that there will be no digital cluster on offer either.
Thanks.
Looks like the markings are now clear and sharp, than the present weighing machine scale markings.

Anyway, since the mechanicals are the same, have decided to go with the booking and take delivery this week.
Old 31st August 2016, 06:49   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the present weighing machine scale markings.

Anyway, since the mechanicals are the same, have decided to go with the booking and take delivery this week.
Lol, that is the best description of the markings I have read so far, and IMO is a much bigger reason for the public thumbs down than the centre location. With interiors of the same basic design, the car can still be made to NOT look low rent. Unfortunately, Toyota doesn't seem to have the DNA to do these things in the way Hyundai seems to have acquired. So it will remain a hit in the taxi trade and with discerning private buyers that want a car to last for at least a decade in good running order.

As to the mechanicals, having used a 1.5 litre petrol Liva for over three years now, I can't think of any other hatch in even up to a price point or two higher segment that has better mechanicals, even today.

And for sure, no other car has after sales service that can touch that of Toyota, allied to the engineering done to reduce cost of consumables.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 07:51   #84
Senior - BHPian

The cab segment likes the Etios for a reason, it's reliability and low up keep. It's a well engineered and dynamically sound car that wasn't taken up by the public, though the equally drab Qualis was a runaway hit. Probably, it wasn't liked because it resembled the Logan that wasn't also like by the Indian public. I think update looks a lot better in the pics and interiors also a step in the right direction. Wish they add some sound insulation where it matters for better refinement. The petrol engine is rumored to develop 10 bhp more in the Brazilian version.
Old 31st August 2016, 12:42   #85
Senior - BHPian

The facelift or whatever you may call it, is another mundane effort from Toyota. Somehow, it gives me a feeling that Toyota has sort of given up on this segment itself and are happy concentrating on the Innovas and the Corollas.
The scoop pic clearly indicates that the console will be an analogue one. So, dreams of a refreshed console goes woof!! The side profile remain bland, the face looks like a broken tooth grin, the interiors are as "inspiring" as the outgoing model and the overall changes are a blink and you miss!!
No wonder, Toyota has another "WINNER" in their hands.
BTW, the Liva somehow looked a lot better than the Etios.
Sad to see such a capable car under performing. My boss has an Etios and have driven the car extensively. Though, it isnt a scorcher, its a decent mid way performer in all aspects.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 13:18   #86
Senior - BHPian

Etios was a launch disaster, something it never recovered from. Launch disasters never recovered, regardless of what the manufacturer has done to correct them. Jazz and Fiesta are couple of contemporary examples I could quote.

I have seen the launch Etios in flesh in 2010 along with colleagues. It had one of the obvious cost cutting interiors and of horrible taste on a 6-7 lakh car, where 3-4 lakh cars segment or 2 down were doing way better.

The current generation Etios looks a lot better save the center mounted console.

Adding an automatic variant may bring some volumes from private vehicle segment. Not sure Toyota is thinking on that lines. Maybe it is too little too late even for that, give the number of competitors having automatic variants now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
It's a well engineered and dynamically sound car that wasn't taken up by the public, though the equally drab Qualis was a runaway hit. Probably, it wasn't liked because it resembled the Logan that wasn't also like by the Indian public.
Logan did look much better than Etios as of 2010. Qualis is a further generation behind, you'll have to look from the competition available during 2002-2005 not against 2016
Old 31st August 2016, 13:35   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

The current generation Etios looks a lot better save the center mounted console.

Adding an automatic variant may bring some volumes from private vehicle segment. Not sure Toyota is thinking on that lines. Maybe it is too little too late even for that, give the number of competitors having automatic variants now.

Logan did look much better than Etios as of 2010. Qualis is a further generation behind, you'll have to look from the competition available during 2002-2005 not against 2016
The Qualis at the time had to face off equally dated rivals, in a market that was driven by utility; not the case with the Etios which has to fend off more modern competition.

The way I see it, nothing will save the Etios barring a comprehensive new model in line with industry norms.
There are two types of buyers - the practical folks, and the aspirational folk. Unfortunately, in that segment, people aspire for a vehicle that looks good and has quality interior; more so than the practical people who are willing to compromise on looks and interior design.
This is reflected in the sales figures - compare the spacious, reliable, and practical Etios' sales to that of it's better equipped and better looking rivals.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 13:41   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Etios was a launch disaster
May be I've a liking for under dogs, my present car was one! I bought the Elantra when it was retailing at a 1 lakh discount way back in 2005. I still have it and I still love it and has served me faithfully for almost 11 years and still looks like new. I think the Etios is a sensible car to buy with the head and not heart. I think Toyota's doing all it can to keep it fresh. My choice would be the petrol which is reasonably powerful and the top end has ABS, airbags, a touch screen infotainment system, 15" alloys and very comfy seating and space. I have sat in a cab Etios and found it very comfy and spacious. The top end present Etios petrol VX retails at around 7.7L ex showroom which I'd say is good value for this car. There was a time I derided Toyota for bringing something this drab, but have changed my mind now, will definitely have a look at this as and when it's launched.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 22:40   #89
PCS
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please post the scanned images of this month's magazine?

sorry. I read this magazine in government library, and did not buy it.

Can anyone post the picture. I saw it had line segments like tachometer and numbered speedometer

Abs is standard now is mentioned in magazine

Last edited by SDP : 31st August 2016 at 23:11. Reason: Fixing a broken quote tag
PCS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 23:08   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
The cab segment likes the Etios for a reason, it's reliability and low up keep. It's a well engineered and dynamically sound car

Couple of days back, I took an Etios Meru to Airport. I'm hiring that cab since last 3-4 times and hence the driver talks friendly. We reached early to the airport and went to have some coffee.
He showed me a line of new Liva cabs parked.
It seems the cabbies are concerned on the super light built of Etios and are preferring a Liva.
He said Zest is now available for cab segment and felt could be a much better option.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks