Team-BHP - April 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   April 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/175860-april-2016-indian-car-sales-figures-analysis.html)

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene!

Thanks Aditya for the April Analysis.

Few observations on the April sales figures,

Maruti is maintaining its lead and widened it with the launch of Brezza. Next launch is the ignis is expected to slot in the Mini Crossover segment and its Baleno RS variant. KWID has made Maruti Suzuki redraw its entry level segment. Next new Alto will define this. Baleno and Vitara Brezza’s production seems to be ramped up and with that Baleno reappears in the list of top 10 PV’s sold in April.

• The sales of S-Cross seem to be settling at around 2.5k per month, and with the Petrol rumoured to be launched soon the numbers could be growing. With Indonesia too rumoured to get the S Cross it is clear that Maruti is serious about the crossover!

• Ciaz – Maruti Suzuki’s dark horse seem to be challenging the Market leader – Honda’s City, but has left Hyundai’s Verna a distant third in the segment.

Hyundai – Consistent in Elite + Active doing good numbers, Creta drops in numbers and this could reduce further with many shifting focus to Honda’s BR-V. Grand i10, Xcent and Verna does some positive numbers compared to March sales figures.

Volkswagen – All numbers are down, Ameo is their ‘Premium’ mass car for 2016. Not sure how successful it would be as the compact sedan is now crowded and the segment is highly competitive.

Chevrolet – Flawed strategy and mostly all numbers are down, seems to have lost the plot in India and no signs of growth plan yet

Mahindra has Scorpio as the only car that shows positive growth since April -16. TUV numbers are down and maybe it will stabilise in a couple of months. KUV is doing 5K consistently in its second month. Going forward this will stabilze and will be interesting to see where it will stack up when Ignis from Maruti Suzuki is launched.

Datsun a brand started with lots of promise is now, with 2 cars in its portfolio does ~ 1800 of sales. Now with Redi-Go about to be launched will it be any different?

Fiat – No idea of their plot – Competent global portfolio that could be launched here but seem to be dwelling in older platforms for India. 2018 is what we can expect the new product launch for India. (Latest – after its long slumber, survey is being done by FCA for the Compact SUV in India)

Ford – Has Endeavour going for them, outsells Toyota’s Fortuner. All the other competent products do not interest the masses.

Toyota – Banking on Innova Crysta and the new Fortuner, no other visible product plans (other than facelifts) for the rest of the year. Etios twins (combined) decreases in comparison to last month’s sales figures.

Honda – Sales tumble again, company attributes it to the shift in demand to petrol and correction to this is in place. But portfolio wise doesn’t gel on a growth path. BR-V its latest launch, though too early to predict, indications are it will not be a sales topper. Will Mobilio figures go down further due to the BR-V?

Renault – Hats off to Renault India on being crowned the 4th position in April sales. But will this sustain just on one K(W)ID ? Need more products like the Kaptur to augment the Duster in its sales.

Luxury segment - Mercedes Benz, Audi and BMW are the big 3 in April sales. Volvo slowly picks up momentum in India.

April 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-21.jpg

Source- Auto Punditz

11 of Top 20 vehicles sold in India are from Maruti's stable :Shockked:
There are 14 vehicles in the portfolio of Maruti and those 3 "non-performers" are Gypsy, S-Cross and Ritz.
Just wonderful.

People just can't get enough of Creta!

Duster is still doing 2500 (including Terrano) which is surprising.

Honda again showing their characteristic yoyo performance with a new launch diverting the attention to it and neglecting others. Jazz is the biggest sufferer here with cut in production to make way for the new baby.

Also, from Autopunditz website, I could see that Fiat's sales were lower than Mercedes-Benz, Audi and BMW, individually lol: They need to buck up big time.

I know there is a new Fortuner on the way, but is it for the first time since its launch that the Fortuner has been outsold by a direct rival?

Thanks Aditya for the analysis. Some of my observations.

Segment Level

Manufacturers

Congratulations to Ford for taking the throne from Toyota's Fortuner. The Fortuner has enjoyed a well deserved success for almost 5 years.
Toyota now your turn!
The worst decision of the month award goes to the guy who bought the only Rexton!;)
Toyota sold more landcruisers than Mahindra sold Rexton.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3969438)

[*]Entry Premium Hatch Segment: Continues to be ruled by the Grand i10 and Swift. If the Alto gets impacted further, the Swift seems set to take the top spot. First set of numbers for the Tiago. Reasonable start, but considering the price and segment, Tata will be hoping for much more.

[*]Lots depends on the Tiago for Tata. An almost perfect package at a wonderful price. Initial numbers don't seem to be extraordinary. I get a feeling that this will also settle at the 2-3K mark which is not what Tata wants. Nothing seems to be working for them.

Since the numbers are based on copies moved to the dealers, still I am not sure about the actual booking/demand. Consider this, based on post in Tiago thread, fellow member who has booked on 11th April ( 5th day after launch, assuming not many would have booked a TATA car prior to launch) has still not been given a proper date.

This is what he's got to say:

"I also feel Tata is slipping on their commitments and timelines. Booked the XZ variant on the 11th of April and was told it would take 4 weeks. That has been revised with no clarity on allocations by TML to the dealers."

He has gone further to mention that

"Not really sure what the issue is but what the dealer has told me is that I'm third in queue at his branch and that there are a lot of bookings in the top variant in the particular campaign (sunburst orange) color which is taking longer than normal. He also mentioned that the new waiting period has been revised to eight weeks for the petrol variant too.

What is appaling is the lack of clarity. The dealer says he does not know when Tata will allocate cars and I will know only when the car leaves the TML yard and the lead time will be around eight days from then. But when TML will dispatch it from their yard is the million dollar question!

Indefinite wait till then I guess."

In my opinion, it more seems to be a case of constraints/issues with production than lack of actual demand. Only time will tell.

The only noticeable happening was the Fortuner being dethroned after a very long run by the Endeavour. Hope TMIL wakes up and best of luck to the Ford Endeavour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tifosikrishna (Post 3969469)
In my opinion, it more seems to be a case of constraints/issues with production than lack of actual demand. Only time will tell.

Agree. This could be the case. But I am not sure why they should have production constraints. It is not as if any of their products are selling in great numbers. Considering the amount of effort spent on the product and considering the segment the tiago is in, they should be on top of their game with meeting demand. After all it is a segment where the big sellers sell 8-15000 units ( Celerio, wagon r, swift, grand i10, Kwid). 3000 units is simply not enough to make an impact.

Of course, this is just the start. The next few months will give a clearer picture.

Shocking Month for Honda!!:Shockked:

Brio, Mobilio and recently launched Amaze and Jazz are amongst top 10 losers. If we have to assume, we can take such a steep drop in sales figure of Brio as a preparatory move from Honda to bring in facelifted model.
Especially surprised to see falling numbers for Amaze and Jazz. Is this the result of Honda sidelining other cars to accommodate BR-V production?

Ford:Appalling numbers for Figo twins again :Frustrati

Are the premium hatchbacks - MS Baleno, Hyundai Elite i20 stealing away the show from Compact sedans?

Why Tata Motors is still struggling to move enough Tiagos out from their plant? Haven't they anticipated the response earlier and now acting reactively? Can they afford to have such artificial waiting periods?
Or they won't deliver the cars until 'Introductory Prices' are valid, if so it will be the dumb most move.
C'mon TML, it's the time to deliver and make the amazing Tiago successful. Also what happened to Bolt and Zest figures?

Especially when Bolt has started wearing Yellow plates, the numbers should have increased drastically.
This time, based on number of cars I see on Pune street, I am guessing that Hyundai Xcent might have won place in minds of cabbies. At least numbers are suggesting so.

For Maruti Suzuki Alto looses 23% customers. Question is 'to whom?'. To Renault Kwid or to Tata Tiago? Or company is shifting from old model to new upcoming facelift model?

Our fascination for UV's are increasing in the form of M/S/C UV's and here is the market as compared to a year back. Expect this to grow further with all manufactures chalking out their C/ SUV plans.

April 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-22.jpg

http://www.autocarpro.in/analysis-sa...ge-april-19752