Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2016, 09:19   #31
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Hyundai mulls revival of the Santro brand in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
I am just confused now, what is the future of Eon then? Is Hyundai planning to discontinue the vehicle altogether or are they going to sell it alongside Santro?
I feel that the new Santro may be the replacement for the Eon, as the 'Santro' brand has been far more successful than the Eon.

Another possibility is that they may continue the Eon with the 0.8l engine as an Alto rival, and position the Santro slightly above it as a WagonR rival.
Old 1st July 2016, 10:37   #32
Team-BHP Support

A tall boy car is a very good in-city commuter. Wagon R is perfect save for dead low end [Maruti's fancy for FE] and a bit rattle prone.

Santro will be a very good compromise in that aspect. Wish Hyundai launches it with some upgrades/updates.
Old 1st July 2016, 23:16   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

The Santro was culled prematurely just like the Qualis. If a visual estimation of Mumbai taxis is taken and headcounting done, the Santro outnumbers other makes. The i 10 has tried to replace it as a black and yellow taxi but with limited success. The Maruti Eeco is also popular.

The Padmini is going into oblivion and has single handedly ruled the Bombay roads since the 1960's (prior to the 1960's imports and Fiats coexisted). The taxi drivers/ owners had tried to pass on the Padmini crown to the Santro but the production was abruptly stopped by HMIL.

Apart from the taxi segment, the Santro has been a darling with private owners. The older examples from 1998 are still lugging along. Let us hope the model is revived with modern touches.

Rumour: Hyundai mulls revival of the Santro brand in India-blore-12302014-012.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st July 2016 at 23:33.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 11:31   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Santro to relaunch as made-in-India model for the world.

Hyundai India is hoping the Santro will help it counter Renault Kwid in India’s small car market.

The new version of Santro is due to stage a comeback in the first half of 2018. The project to develop and launch the new Santro at a cost of Rs1,000 crore was approved by the company’s Seoul headquarters.

Source

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th September 2016 at 11:33.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 20:53   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

The new Hyundai Santro 2018 will be introduced as a replacement to the existing Hyundai i10. Will have the SUV-ish stance like Renault's KWID.
Rumour: Hyundai mulls revival of the Santro brand in India-hyundaisantro20181.jpg
Rumour: Hyundai mulls revival of the Santro brand in India-hyundaisantro20185.jpg

The new model will be designed in India by Hyundai’s R&D centre in Hyderabad and proto-typed in Korea. Could come in an AMT variant too.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th September 2016 at 20:55.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 11:42   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Development of the all-new Santro is in full swing in Hyundai's South Korean plant, and it will come in the beginning of 2018.

When re-introduced in the Indian market, the all-new Santro will replace the ageing (and fledging) i10 in Hyundai India's lineup. Interestingly, the i10 was the original replacement of the Santro a few years back.

The all-new Santro is expected to be priced in the 4 lakh - 6 lakh rupee bracket, taking on the Tata Tiago, the Maruti-Suzuki Celerio and the Chevrolet Beat, among others.

Quote:
There will be a few changes in the new Santro, though. The “tall-boy” structure, which was in-vogue in the early 2000s, doesn’t appeal to the car buyer anymore. “There is only one tall boy, the WagonR, and its numbers have also fallen from the peak… The Santro will be tallish, but will look much younger, sleeker and stylish,” said the source.
Hindustan Times
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 18:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

I hope its as fun to drive as the old Santro. The old 1.1 engine had some good low end torque, something that made it easier to drive in traffic which is seriously lacking in todays cars
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 11:49   #38
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai India have crossed the 50,000 units per month domestic sales mark for the first time in October 2016. The sub-4m Carlino SUV and the new Santro should hopefully help propel them towards the 60,000 units a month domestic sales mark.

The new Santro should not be positioned below the Grand i10. Instead, Hyundai should give it good GC and crossover styling and position it alongside the Grand i10, as a direct competitor to the KUV1OO and the upcoming Ignis.

There is no need for the new Santro to fill the space occupied by the current (old) i10. The Eon can be given a facelift with more feature-laden 1.0 litre variants (with ABS, passenger airbag, touchscreen SAT-NAV, AMT option etc.) and made to occupy the space vacated by the i10.

Quote:
Engine options might include the 0.8-litre and 1.0-litre petrol units that are currently used in the Eon
The 69 PS 1.0 litre 12-valve twin-cam Dual VTVT is a very good choice, but the 56 PS 0.8 litre 9-valve single-cam unit would not suit the new Santro at all! Let the 0.8 litre unit be exclusive to the Eon.

Instead, they can give it a diesel option by plonking in the Grand i10's 71 PS 1.1 litre 12-valve twin-cam CRDi motor.

Last edited by RSR : 23rd November 2016 at 11:51.
RSR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 12:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I hope its as fun to drive as the old Santro. The old 1.1 engine had some good low end torque, something that made it easier to drive in traffic which is seriously lacking in todays cars
I think low end torque and high FE do not go had in hand. Experts may be able to clarify.
Old 23rd November 2016, 14:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

IF Hyundai decides to kill the old i10, Maruti will not discontinue the Ritz anytime soon as the Ritz will be more popular than now with the black n yellow taxi segment in Mumbai.
Old 23rd November 2016, 19:44   #41
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
IF Hyundai decides to kill the old i10, Maruti will not discontinue the Ritz anytime soon as the Ritz will be more popular than now with the black n yellow taxi segment in Mumbai.
Hyundai simply shouldn't worry about Maruti Suzuki taking over the Mumbai black-and-yellow taxi market with the Ritz if the i10 is discontinued. There are reports that the Ritz itself is being discontinued.

Even if the Ritz continues as the Ritz Tour for the taxi market, it makes sense for Hyundai to replace the i10 with the new Santro. The i10 is currently the oldest product in Hyundai's India line-up, and stylistically it's also the conspicuous odd man out in a range full of cars carrying the Fluidic Sculpture 1.0, Storm Edge & Fluidic Sculpture 2.0 design themes.

The i10 still sells in decent numbers (2000 ~ 4000 units-a-month) despite its age and lack of top-end variants. If Hyundai play their cards right, the new Santro can easily sell in excess of 10000 units-a-month. There are plenty of folks/families who simply loved the Santro as their first car, and they would happily purchase the new Santro as an additional car if it turns out to be a stylish, feature-laden, high quality runabout.
Old 23rd November 2016, 21:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

It will be a good idea to revive the trusted car from Hyundai; the only thing that they should keep in mind is about the buyer expectation.

MSIL killed the brand "Zen" instantly upon revival and that should not happen with Santro.

The car should move up both in terms of driving pleasure, as well as creature comforts. Bringing Santro back is like doing a sequel of a hit movie which requires a greater investment, attempt and skill to come up to the expectations of people who have invested money in its previous Avatar.

Good luck Hyundai
i74js is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 18:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: New Hyundai Santro to launch in second half of 2018

Hyundai Motor India's CEO and Managing Director - YK Koo, has indicated that the company might launch the new Santro in India in the second half of next year. This will mark the revival of the Santro brand name in the country, after it was officially discontinued in 2015.

Though deeper details about the new Santro haven't been revealed yet, reports suggest that it will be offered with two petrol engines - a 1.1-litre and a 1.2-litre. It will be introduced to fill the gap between the Eon and the Grand i10, which has widened after the regular i10 was discontinued last year.

It is also being reported that the new car might get a new name as well. However, Hyundai hasn't yet commented on the same. The car is being developed by the company's global R&D team, with inputs from the Indian arm's R&D centre in Hyderabad.

Source: ET Auto

Last edited by dZired : 6th March 2017 at 18:22.
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 20:18   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Rumour: New Hyundai Santro to launch in second half of 2018

Though deeper details about the new Santro haven't been revealed yet, reports suggest that it will be offered with two petrol engines - a 1.1-litre and a 1.2-litre.

It is also being reported that the new car might get a new name as well. However, Hyundai hasn't yet commented on the same. The car is being developed by the company's global R&D team, with inputs from the Indian arm's R&D centre in Hyderabad.
Why so long Hyundai? Are you developing a completely new car? Even if that's the case, 2 years is a looong time.

Whatever engine options they decide to bring in, I hope they retain the one great aspect of the Santro; its low end torque and awesome city driveability.

If this is a car being developed for India, shouldn't the R&D involvement be the other way round?
racer_ash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 19:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

The new Hyundai Santro is coming next year according to Topgear India magazine.

http://www.topgear.com/india/car-new...ming/itemid-50
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks