Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2017, 23:15   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic likely to return to India

New Honda Civic coming to India soon, launch likely at Auto Expo 2018

Honda Cars India President & CEO Yoichiro Ueno confirms that The New Civic will be Honda's next launch.

Quote:
Q. Could you elaborate on the new Honda products that will be coming to India?
A. I have mentioned the new Civic as a potential vehicle.
Likely to get the Now Locally Manufactured 1.6 Diesel, Petrol option will be a 2.0 NA or a 1.5 Turbo Petrol.

Existing products will be concentrated for Festive Season.

Source
CarguyNish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 08:06   #167
Senior - BHPian

INDIA-BOUND 2018 HONDA CIVIC FIRST LOOK

Spotted at a Dealership.

Honda Civic likely to return to India-2018hondacivic_6.jpg

Honda Civic likely to return to India-2018hondacivic_5.jpg

Honda Civic likely to return to India-2018hondacivic_4.jpg

Honda Civic likely to return to India-2018hondacivic_3.jpg

Honda Civic likely to return to India-2018hondacivic_8.jpg

Quote:
It is our best guess that the 2018 Honda Civic will make its first appearance at the Auto Expo scheduled to happen early next year.
Quote:
The premium sedan will go through certain changes in terms of features for the Indian market.
Engine options include, 1L 3 cylinder Turbo Petrol (129 bhp & 200 Nm torque) and a 1.5L Turbo Petrol capable of producing 182 bhp & 240 Nm of Torque. Both mated to a option of a 6 Speed Manual or a CVT gearbox.

Link
CarguyNish is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 09:02   #168
BANNED

After almost a decade I still love my Civic, and look forward to the new avatar. I am sure Honda will update the equipment.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 10:13   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking forward for the new Civic, but in my opinion, at least the interiors lack the character and charisma of the the 8th gen Civic. I have similar initial feelings for the exteriors too, but shall wait to see it in flesh before commenting. Interiors definitely have disappointed me.

Regards,
Saket
Old 16th September 2017, 10:21   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

According to the latest Aug 2017 monthly sales chart:

Hyundai Elantra = 251 units
Skoda Octavia = 354 units
Toyota Corolla = 584 units

Just how many sales is Honda thinking of pulling out from a fast diminishing, shrinking segment, even with the Civic's brand pull?

Also, going by the way they have positioned the City, there's a good chance that the Civic might be the most expensive offering in it's segment. Just for the sake of adding a touch of premium-ness to their portfolio and be content with 200-odd units sold per month, why aren't they training their guns on where the action is in this price segment?

Mahindra XUV500 = 2,969 units
Jeep Compass = 2,020 units
Tata Hexa = 1,715 units

Didn't they learn anything from the Compass's launch, and the subsequent response the D-segment Jeep has received from the Indian car-buying public?

Where is the HR-V, Honda?! 5 mules extensively testing inside your factory premises and you are still mum on it's launch.

Looks like the Jap major itself is not too confident about the HR-V's chances, but, if they noticed, disruptive pricing and a premium offering can ensure a blockbuster in a segment which is on a serious booming rise in recent years.
RavenAvi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 14:08   #171
Senior - BHPian

The new Civic looks like a notch back rather than a proper sedan. I don't think I will be getting one in the future. The 8th gen Civic had a better dashboard and the new one looks like any other premium sedan offering. One would not know that it's a Civic by just looking the dash. 1.5 turbocharged petrol. You mean one would have to worry about idling the turbo every time one switched off the engine. I am not sure if they would bring this one to India. They might as well continue with the 1.8 engine itself.
Old 18th September 2017, 13:23   #172
Senior - BHPian

New Honda Civic Walk around video

Looks like Base variant, Top Variant has nice interiors though. Will say that with confidence as my cousin has one in US.

We should get more details in November/December and probable launch at Auto Expo 2018.
CarguyNish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 21:15   #173
BHPian

According to this video by Autocar India, the Civic is India bound in 2019! They plan to directly launch the facelifted version.

bansal.sushant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 16:04   #174
mxh
BHPian

The Indian Honda Civic is not getting the Petrol 1.5 turbo. Fail.. Now, I'm not the least bit interested in this car.. and unsubscribing from this thread.
mxh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 12:45   #175
BHPian

Honda still treating India as second fiddle and not bringing in new models quickly and with latest engine tech updates. They could easily bring in 1.5 petrol turbo and localise it for future use in new city and other models but no. Shameful behaviour considering they were the go to manufacturer since introduction in India and this coming from a guy who owns 3 Honda's.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 22:55   #176
BHPian

Honda and Toyota really don't care about Indian market. I don't think they even have long term plan for India. They just want to milk the profits with as minimum no of models as possible. Just one look at their lineup in India tells the story. City, Innova, Fortuner are best sellers in their respective segments even with huge price increases over the years. But still they don't bring in their other popular models to India.

Compare this to their lineup in small market like Malaysia. Honda sells new Civic, HRV and Odyssey (MPV) which are not available in India. Their Malaysia sales are around 8K per month while in India they sell 18K. Its even worse with Toyota. Toyota Malaysia sells Vios, Rush, Avanza, Sienta, Alphard, Vellfire. They are also launching C-HR there. Monthly sales around 4K while in India they sell 12K.

I understand that it may not be possible to bring many of their line up to India because of higher import duties, but can't they bring in the likes of HRV, Vios, C-HR which fill the huge gaps in their lineup?
sri_tesla is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 20:31   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
Honda sells new Civic, HRV and Odyssey (MPV) which are not available in India. Their Malaysia sales are around 8K per month while in India they sell 18K. Its even worse with Toyota. Toyota Malaysia sells Vios, Rush, Avanza, Sienta, Alphard, Vellfire. They are also launching C-HR there. Monthly sales around 4K while in India they sell 12K.
This is my exact point, if India generates more sales, then why are we given step motherly treatment. Same is the case with other brands as well, they might sell more or same in other nations for same Car but provide us less kitted car. I really don't understand this logic of Car manufacturers, how long will they take to consider that we are maturing market. Had it been during non-digital days, I would have understood but whith so much online content and people's awareness growing very rapidly thanks to globalization and travel, we should be receiving these product pretty fast.
varunswnt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 20:34   #178
Senior - BHPian

The Civic will push ₹30L easily (what with the Indian Govt getting very very greedy)! Good thing is it looks like the City up front and the dash with the a/c vents are clearly 'City'ish. Rear feels like a Hyundai with the low set seats; Corolla will still have the most comfy backseats, City will easily trump the Civic in back seat comfort. By the time it makes it to the Indian shores the Jap/Korean sedan market will be dead and the people would look to buy into the B Class/X1/A3 rather than arrive in a Jap or Korean sedan!
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 10:14   #179
Senior - BHPian

Good to know this iconic car is making a come back though I wish Honda could launch it tomorrow.

There are a few problems though. If Honda intend to sell the Civic the way it is, it is going to fail. The current Civic on sale, while being practical, is hopeless on the inside. The interiors do not even even compare to the looks and quality of the old Civic we had and I am not speaking specific to the digital instrument cluster. The whole dashboard itself, the gear console, the door pads, etc look low rent. This ain't going to work when you have cars like the Elantra and Octavia. If we must cross segments, I think even a TATA Hexa has a well finished cabin.

From the enthusiasts view, if Honda were to bring the Type R edition, I'd probably pick this over the Skoda vRs. You will get reliability, resale and backup that no European car manufacturer can match.

The car looks sharp, has a great fan following in India as a model and as a brand. All you need to do is fix those interiors and you have a winner.
Old 30th October 2017, 10:29   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
According to the latest Aug 2017 monthly sales chart:

Hyundai Elantra = 251 units
Skoda Octavia = 354 units
Toyota Corolla = 584 units

Just how many sales is Honda thinking of pulling out from a fast diminishing, shrinking segment, even with the Civic's brand pull?
Well, we never know what might change the fortunes of D Segment sedans in the future years.
There are many, who want to own one, but they have to choose SUVs due to the poor roads in cities.

If the roads problem is solved somehow, we could see some more demand for sedans as well.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed