Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2018, 07:04   #226
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic likely to return to India

Gaku Nakanishi, President & CEO, Honda Car India Limited, confirms the launch the new-gen Civic sedan in India, during the launch function of Honda Amaze.

Honda Civic likely to return to India-636620708875576141..jpeg
Flyer is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 09:16   #227
BHPian

This is good news for the segment. The Civic might be able to take the competition to Octavia and the loyal Honda fans in India also might help a minor boost in sales, the ones looking for an upgrade perhaps.

The most important factor will be pricing. Honda should price it sensibly and competitively if it has to take on the Octavia.

Last edited by glikithvinayaka : 17th May 2018 at 09:19.
Old 17th May 2018, 10:40   #228
BANNED

Excellent news. We shall be replacing our Civic in 2020 when BS-VI comes in. It is a favorite car for us. I hear the the primary motor may be 1600 with turbo.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 12:04   #229
BHPian

Excellent news. Can't wait to upgrade from my 2011 City which is my 2nd Honda.
Old 18th May 2018, 12:16   #230
BHPian

New Civic obviously has bigger shoes of previous gen Civic to fill. Hopefully, it won't disappoint like newer iteration of Honda City (read cost cutting at number of places & niggles)
Old 18th May 2018, 12:27   #231
Senior - BHPian

I think Honda is pushing its luck with the Civic, the market for D segment sedans is shrinking as the compact SUV is the code for most buyers in the price range. The Octavia is a competent product, with a wide variety of engines, the Civic has a reputation for bottoming out quickly, that'll do no favours in an SUV crazy market.

The best option will be an SUV in the Civic price band, Vezel or the HRV, really nothing in favour of the Civic, it's a lost cause.
avira_tk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 16:39   #232

I'm not too sure what are the prospects of the 10th Gen Civic. Of course the 8th gen civic is popular in the used car segment, however, only because it's a lot of car for very little money.

The state of the D segment sedan in India is not a strong case any manufacturer should be trying to make right now. The Indian consumers' mindset is now changing towards the post buying experience as well. If a manufacturer already has a strong lineup, I think it's time to focus on the post purchase consumer experience. It can do wonders for your brand image.

Case in point, Ford India. With respect to Honda, even after leading the C segment sedan game for years all together, the post purchase experience is nothing special.
Old 18th May 2018, 23:45   #233
Senior - BHPian

Honda Civic likely to return to India

Th Civic has a fan following for sure, but the SUV trend is huge!

D segment cars are struggling today in spite of the prices not being very high. C segment cars like the City go all the way to 17L OTR, and for 20 you can easily get the base Octavia or even the Corolla. But people seem to be paying 17-18L for a top end Creta rather! And that 20-25 L price point segment is where the Jeep Compass is made a killing! I mean the Compass sells an average of 1500-2000 cars a month which is more than the Corolla, Octavia and the Elantra put together!

So the Civic May come in, get some enthusiasts to put their money on it, may be even do marginally better than the corolla or the Elantra, but that customer is moved on for sure. May be it will be like a Halo product for Honda, just to give it that premium image.
motorworks is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 13:27   #234
BHPian

The consensus seems to be that the civic will be facelifted / refreshed before it releases in India.

Here's a link to news in that regard. P.S., the article also has a speculative render.

https://www.cartoq.com/all-new-honda...uld-look-like/

Was wondering if anyone has seen the facelift being camouflage tested. Or would there not been a need for any, considering the changes are merely cosmetic?
Old 11th June 2018, 12:12   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Th Civic has a fan following for sure, but the SUV trend is huge!

So the Civic May come in, get some enthusiasts to put their money on it, may be even do marginally better than the corolla or the Elantra, but that customer is moved on for sure. May be it will be like a Halo product for Honda, just to give it that premium image.
fully agreed about the SUV trend but it will normalize in coming years.

On the contrary, I am planning to put my decision on hold for Civic as the car is close to my heart(I loved my friends old Civic and had my heart on it). I was planning to book Creta AT but stupid Hyundai variant config for AT irritated me. I am planning to wait for Civic now instead(OK to spend some more).

In the past, I believe that Civic was the leader in D segment for a long period. Elantra was never so appealing, Octavia is a fantastic car but maybe Skoda ASS & branding took a hit, Corolla Altis is decent but never liked it so much.

I sincerely hope that Civic is launched asap and the car doesn't disappoint
nitinhegde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 11:46   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde View Post
fully agreed about the SUV trend but it will normalize in coming years.

On the contrary, I am planning to put my decision on hold for Civic as the car is close to my heart(I loved my friends old Civic and had my heart on it). I was planning to book Creta AT but stupid Hyundai variant config for AT irritated me. I am planning to wait for Civic now instead(OK to spend some more).

In the past, I believe that Civic was the leader in D segment for a long period. Elantra was never so appealing, Octavia is a fantastic car but maybe Skoda ASS & branding took a hit, Corolla Altis is decent but never liked it so much.

I sincerely hope that Civic is launched asap and the car doesn't disappoint

Just to share some rough numbers, the entire monthly sales of Toyota Corolla, Hyundai Elantra and Skoda Octavia would be lesser or at par with the monthly average sales numbers of Jeep Compass! Well that is how much the market has changed! And imagine the no of dealers of Jeep vs the no of dealers and reach of Hyundai and Toyota!

My point is not to state that the civic will be a sales dud or something like that. But the reality is that the customer shift to SUVs or cross overs is huge and that is very apparent in the 15-25 lakh segment, where XUV500, even the Hexa and the Jeep Compass are finding very good numbers on a monthly basis.

Like I said earlier, the civic may be a Halo product in India for Honda, more to improve their image which has taken a slight beating due to sub par products like the earlier generation Amaze, Brio and even the Mobilio. But the civic doing anything more than 1000units a month would be a tough task!
Old 12th June 2018, 12:22   #237
BHPian

Regarding ground clearance issues, I saw a video which stated the Civic GC as 170 mm which seems to be same as current gen Verna. Can anybody confirm this please if they have a view on confirmed specs?

Check this video at 2:22

Last edited by nitinhegde : 12th June 2018 at 12:38.
Old 12th June 2018, 12:35   #238
BHPian

Quote:
But the civic doing anything more than 1000units a month would be a tough task!
Fully agreed. I am not such a big fan of the SUV/crossover/MUV type.

I think its purely because people want to change from the routine sedan style of vehicles.

Having said that and driven by the same influence, I had my eyes on compass and was willing to spend more beyond my budget. However my requirement was a petrol AT and after driving compass petrol AT, it felt like I am driving a bullock cart(am just referring to the start). So, this was ruled out. Facelift Creta 2018 variant specs on AT disappointed me and didnt feel like spending 18L on-road as I wd be taking it on company lease.

Honda city, Verna, Yaris are not ringing the bells for me either.

Hence, my inclination has shifted to sedan based petrol AT now and CIVIC is a good candidate worth the wait(as I always loved the old gen but it was out of budget that time - it will be now too but I am willing to splurge a bit ). Octavia was one good car I liked too but I wd rather wait for CIVIC.

Last edited by nitinhegde : 12th June 2018 at 12:36.
nitinhegde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 12:37   #239
BHPian

Quote:
But the civic doing anything more than 1000units a month would be a tough task!
1000 units a month would be a very respectable and meaningful number for Honda, considering the margins involved in a 20 lakh product.

But yea, Honda's prospects aside, I for one am really really excited about this car (sure there are many others like me). Just hope Honda prices it competitively, say in the same ball park as (if not cheaper than) the Elentra.
Old 12th June 2018, 13:17   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
1000 units a month would be a very respectable and meaningful number for Honda, considering the margins involved in a 20 lakh product.

But yea, Honda's prospects aside, I for one am really really excited about this car (sure there are many others like me). Just hope Honda prices it competitively, say in the same ball park as (if not cheaper than) the Elentra.
I too am waiting eagerly for the Civic's launch to potentially replace my City. However, I don't think the prices are going to be close to the Elantra. I think they will position it against the Corolla or sightly above it, but hopefully below the Octavia.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks