Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2018, 21:32   #271
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Civic likely to return to India

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
1. Digital Speedo ( This I know is present, although the dash doesn't look like a cockpit anymore)
The old dashboard looks so good and futuristic even now -

Honda Civic likely to return to India-images.jpeg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 22:34   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Agree... I prefer the new model exteriors & old model interiors. Ideally I would have appreciated if the company had planned 1.5 Turbo-Petrol for India, as it would have given best of both worlds to most going for petrol variant.
But IMO the 1.8L is wonderful if someone adds a turbo, like Nikhil did.
Old 17th August 2018, 23:29   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Rear doors are very sculpted and with a sharp curve downwards at the C pillar. Did not get into the back seat, but I can imagine it will be difficult for tall and/or elderly to ingress/egress.

Best of luck to Honda India! I for one will be overjoyed if it brings some life into the withering D segment.
According to Hormazd Sorabjee, City's backseat is better then New Civic.

Link

I guess the Civic will do respectable numbers, but don't see it selling in such numbers once it did when it was launched in 2005. That was a time when there were very few good cars. More importantly very few cars were advance at that time, Civic was one of them. I still regret getting Jetta in 2011 instead of Civic, though Jetta in Diesel guise is an excellent car, our car is still doing good even after 7 years. No two ways about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
But the sedan manages to look sporty and elegant at the same time. Especially with that Steel Metallic shade which Honda does so well.

The new Civic with a powerful petrol engine and a smooth and sporty AT can definitely find homes here I think.
Agreed. Honda's some specific paint shades are very nice and unique. Along with this Modern Steel, there are other shades like Urban Titanium, Crystal Black Pearl and a shade of Bronze that look very well on the Civic.

New Civic will do well definitely, I think it'll be default choice for those who want a stylish, reliable D Segment sedan. Octavia will lead in terms of performance, Elantra in terms of value & Corolla in terms of back seat experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I hope and pray Honda does not mess up the pricing. They need to up their game or might end up going the GM way one day. They no longer can afford to be a "One hit wonder" (City) company.
Honda will definitely be pricing this above competition. It'll be more expensive then Elantra, that's for sure. Honda have never priced their cars well, same trend will continue here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
140 bhp from a 1.8L petrol in 2018? You gotta be kidding Honda! Not asking for Type R kind of figures, but 140 hp is embarrassing for a Honda 1.8.
I guess they don't have any option which would suit both affordability & competiveness. 2.0 NA engine is offered on base spec cars only in US. Volumes won't be enough to offer multi engine options.

Santosh, you should enjoy your Polo GTI instead of dreaming of Civic 1.5 Turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
Curious as to how a black car would look with this black front wing. Despite not being a fan of chrome, IMO a chrome wing would have suited a black car better.
Honda already sells Civic Si in US, Facelift gets similar headlamps and Grille as on Si and reworked Bumpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdgawd View Post

The photo above has corrupted me. The new one looks bland.

And that first photo has already corrupted me. Compared to that, the one that will come to India looks seriously bland. Perhaps its the silver paint, perhaps the design itself. But looks seriously uninspiring.
The 1st one isn't Civic, it's Honda Insight which is not coming to India anyway. Hope that helps. I will agree that design plays an important role, and it's also one of the reasons why Civic did so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
It looks grand, elegant and mildly sporty at the same time. The fender looks more sporty in India bound version. The headlamps too are good looking enough. The foglamps look dated. But the overall looks shall be able beat the present Elantra, Octy.

If they price it at around 19 - 20 lakhs, it shall really sell very well.
Like I have mentioned many times in this post, design will be the main selling point of New Civic when it launches here next year.

Prices may be upwards of 20 lakh IMO. Diesel Automatic will easily touch 25-26 lakhs.

Quote:
A Civic owner for almost 12 years and counting, I'm still a bit skeptical if this car can replace my 8th Gen.
Somehow, it's just not cutting it, as compared to the older one, as far as looks is concerned.

I think the rear also has the transmission bump. Can anyone share interior pics if they are available?

What I hope is:

Quote:
1. The driveability has improved, especially at lower rpms.
It'll be improved since it was one of complaints of earlier Civic.

Quote:
2. The power steering system is hassle free. Does it have an EPS or will the HPS be continued?
New Civic has EPS, so it won't be problematic as earlier Hydraulic Unit.

The other two cosmetic things that I hope for are:

Quote:
1. Digital Speedo ( This I know is present, although the dash doesn't look like a cockpit anymore)
Digital Speedo is there but it no longer looks as futuristic as your 8th gen one.

Quote:
2. The wiper arrangement. That cleared most of the glass area, movement was different than any other car.
Wipers arrangement has changed, it's now conventional like in most cars.
CarguyNish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 23:59   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

After Driving ImmortalZ's civic, I have always wanted that cockpit.
I learnt to drive in the US in a 10th gen civic, but honestly, found it too toyota ish ( bland)

Ended up picking up a 9th gen & loving the view.
Honda Civic likely to return to India-img_20180812_131111397.jpg

Not sure why they are bringing the 10th gen in now. Its 3 years old, and will be replaced in another 2. Maybe they will keep it around for longer in india?
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 02:43   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
According to Hormazd Sorabjee, City's backseat is better then New Civic
The civic is not meant to be a chauffeur driven car anyway.

Quote:
New Civic will do well definitely, I think it'll be default choice for those who want a stylish, reliable D Segment sedan. Octavia will lead in terms of performance, Elantra in terms of value & Corolla in terms of back seat experience.
To that end, the Octavia is priced pretty high (On road prices in Bangalore are 23 lakhs for 1.4 Style, 25 lakhs for 1.8 Style AT, 28.5 lakhs for 1.8 L&K, and 34 lakhs for the RS)*.

*PS. I've only quoted petrol prices.

Considering that the Octavia has better specs, Honda should be undercutting (and hard, unless they deem 150-200 units a meaningful number).

Quote:
Honda will definitely be pricing this above competition. It'll be more expensive then Elantra, that's for sure. Honda have never priced their cars well, same trend will continue here too.....Prices may be upwards of 20 lakh IMO. Diesel Automatic will easily touch 25-26 lakhs
Hoping against hope that this does not happen. But logic and precedent suggest that it will.

Quote:
I guess they don't have any option which would suit both affordability & competiveness. 2.0 NA engine is offered on base spec cars only in US. Volumes won't be enough to offer multi engine options.
Agree on the 'volumes' and 'cost' implications. However, was, and still am hoping the 2.0. NA makes it to the Indian car. Though again, highly doubt that it will happen considering the trend with the CR-V (i.e., the mooted 1.6 diesel and 2.0 petrol). Even so, IMHO 1.8 is not THAT bad (I personally prefer NAs over blowers).

Quote:
You never actually said this....just checking how the quote feature works
Hmmm....interesting. Mods, please feel free to delete this last part (Apologies in advance for my curiosity).
Jeevith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 11:01   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wasn't the old 1.8 VTec infamous for poor low end performance?
I have driven this car extensively and it was alright. Definitely not as good as Toyota's NA 1.8l. Pitched beside this motor, it definitely feels weak. Bit of a trade off really. Where the Toyota motor shines at low rpm, the Honda more than makes up when given the beans. Off course, we must look at it from a practical stand point and GTO's comment are true.

I have not driven the current on sale Civic. I would imagine there has been some improvements done on the current iteration of this motor.
Old 24th August 2018, 06:06   #277
BHPian

I have driven the current Civic many a times, and I have no doubts that my Skoda Rapid was more spacious and enjoyable. I can't be sure but even the City may have more space.

That car for 25L will be a rip off! I would strongly recommend to see, and test, the car before booking.

Last edited by shobhit.shri : 24th August 2018 at 06:11.
Old 24th August 2018, 10:49   #278
Senior - BHPian

On the highway, the Civic is king. The iVtec is tuned for efficiency rather than performance. Low end performance is the only qualm. Hope they fixed that.
Old 24th August 2018, 12:18   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the highway, the Civic is king. The iVtec is tuned for efficiency rather than performance. Low end performance is the only qualm. Hope they fixed that.
"Was" the king, the 1.8 TSi will murder that 140HP iVtec interms of performance and vRS is beyond comparison. If low end is bad, Fuel efficiency will be poor in city which is were these sedans spend most of the time.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 12:36   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

What I hope to see in the new Civic:

a) Better low end torque. Not everybody likes to whip their cars. Makes for a less stressful drive not to mention better fuel efficiency in the urban cycle.

b) The suspension! I've experienced it bottoming out on rough roads with 2 rear seat passengers

c) Better GC. Nobody likes scraping their car's underbelly on a speed bump

d) A contemporary instrument panel. Heck, please bring back those normal analogue dials. The 8th gen dash looked too blingy & boy-racerish for my liking.

Last but not the least; Honda India please sort out your idiot dealers. Take a leaf from TKM's book and stand by your customers.

Last edited by R2D2 : 24th August 2018 at 12:37.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 22:46   #281
BHPian

Very well summed up. I would 100 percent agree on low end torque due to todays traffic snarls, suspensions yes no spongy ones and GC is the most important factor as I have been suffering in silence for 6 long years with my first gen Grande Punto. The car is so lovely but for the GC.

To add to your points, I would love to see a DCT thrown in, maybe the top variant which will make enthusiasts like me smile :-)

Can't wait to get my hands on this machine. A black Honda Civic with black powder coated allows, naturally aspirated petrol engine with dual exhaust and a popping sound at the rear. Oh God its so orgasmic !

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
What I hope to see in the new Civic:

a) Better low end torque. Not everybody likes to whip their cars. Makes for a less stressful drive not to mention better fuel efficiency in the urban cycle.

b) The suspension! I've experienced it bottoming out on rough roads with 2 rear seat passengers

c) Better GC. Nobody likes scraping their car's underbelly on a speed bump

d) A contemporary instrument panel. Heck, please bring back those normal analogue dials. The 8th gen dash looked too blingy & boy-racerish for my liking.

Last but not the least; Honda India please sort out your idiot dealers. Take a leaf from TKM's book and stand by your customers.
mads2849 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 00:00   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I have driven this car extensively and it was alright. Definitely not as good as Toyota's NA 1.8l. Pitched beside this motor, it definitely feels weak. Bit of a trade off really. Where the Toyota motor shines at low rpm, the Honda more than makes up when given the beans. Off course, we must look at it from a practical stand point and GTO's comment are true.

I have not driven the current on sale Civic. I would imagine there has been some improvements done on the current iteration of this motor.
Having driven the Current gen NA Civic & corolla, the Civic felt more Toyotaish ( numb steering, handling etc) while the corolla was actually more engaging. Civic had better features and tech though. Personally, between the current gens, i would have taken a base corolla or a Civic EX-T.

Though my real world choice is below
Old 9th September 2018, 14:18   #283
Senior - BHPian

Honda Civic likely to return to India-0101d003.jpg

Spotted this a few weeks ago. Is this the new one ?(far left) Probably a private import.
Old 9th September 2018, 14:26   #284
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Attachment 1797608

Spotted this a few weeks ago. Is this the new one ?(far left) Probably a private import.
Looks like a Gen-9 Accord Hybrid.

Not an import as well, as it was launched officially as a CBU in 2016.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th September 2018 at 14:28.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 18:14   #285
Senior - BHPian

Honda Civic India Launch in Early 2019.

Expected around February 2019

India-bound Civic will come with 1.8-litre petrol and 1.6-litre diesel engine options.

There will be Petrol Manual/Petrol Automatic/Diesel Manual. There won't be Diesel Automatic

IMO, the CR-V is the reason for Civic not getting Diesel Auto. That should be deal breaker for many. Octavia DSG sells in higher numbers than Manual.

Honda thinks otherwise,
Quote:
Sources close to the company told us that a Civic diesel auto would have been a pricey affair but they are confident that while the absence of a diesel-auto would have been unacceptable in a higher price band, it won't be a deal breaker in the executive sedan segment.
Amaze getting that Excellent Diesel CVT & The More Premium Global Civic not getting Diesel Auto is absolutely stupidity.

Pricing is also likely to be premium over rivals.
Quote:
Prices of the Civic are not known yet but don't be surprised if Honda positions it at the higher end of the executive sedan segment.
Source

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th September 2018 at 08:14. Reason: Corrected source link. Thanks.
CarguyNish is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed