Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2016, 17:50   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic likely to return to India

As much as we would all want to have the new Civic here with the turbocharged engine it seems to be a long distant dream.

For the masses, more displacement means a more powerful engine. I often find myself explaining people why the Ecosport engine has only a ‘1 Litre’ engine in the top end variant.

If and when Honda launches the Civic with the turbocharged mill, it might have a hard time explaining people how that one is better than the 1.5 in the city.
It will be easier to sell it here with the 2.0 NA engine instead.

Just a thought
Old 14th May 2016, 01:12   #32
Team-BHP Support

With the City and the Brio based BRV costing near to 15L and the Accord expected to be launched closer to the 40L ex showroom price tag, I guess Civic might be launched at the wrong side of 20L ex showroom.

Can't complain since the prices of all cars are moving upwards. I'm more interested in seeing the diesel options available for India, along with the quality maintained.
Old 14th May 2016, 07:34   #33
BHPian

What exactly is the problem with the new civic if its launched with a 20 lakh price tag? Especially the fully loaded 1.5 turbo? Sure its more expensive , but its also a hell of a lot more car as well than the old civic (except in looks).

0-100 in 6.8 seconds, driving dynamics to match Mazda 3 and gadgets to rival hyundai comes at a price . You simply cant expect such a car to be priced below 20 lakhs anymore.

Honda targets the civic against the A3 in U.S. For that type of bang for buck, 20 lakh plus is more than acceptable.
Old 14th May 2016, 07:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
What exactly is the problem with the new civic if its launched with a 20 lakh price tag? Especially the fully loaded 1.5 turbo? Sure its more expensive , but its also a hell of a lot more car as well than the old civic (except in looks).
Those interiors for starters. Besides, I expect the subsidy given to a sub 1.6 liter car to be passed on to the customer in the form of lower pricing. Let the 1.5 turbo version (if that ever lands here) be an affordable sporty JDM sedan, which is what the Civic was always meant to be. 20 lakh on-road would be more appropriate.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 14th May 2016 at 07:52.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2016, 08:30   #35
Team-BHP Support

From the time the old Civic was sold in India and now, Honda India have made giant steps backward - from a brand synonymous with premium mass-market models to a wannabe budget brand. It will be a bit of a hard work to get back to where they were, but great move nevertheless! And I hope other global products like the Vezel will follow.
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th May 2016, 21:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

I hope they bring it in 2017 so by 2020 i will be ready to buy it in used form. As a current owner of a Civic inspite of the niggles i faced i simply cant' think of any other petrol car to replace it.
Old 14th May 2016, 23:57   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am not too happy with a blown engine, I prefer the NA stuff. In fact I will love to see a 1500-1800cc engine with six (or at least five) cylinders.
Wasn't a fan of blown engines either. However they are the only way forward now. I suggest you test drive a modern direct injected turbo petrol sometime - you will be very very surprised. I hated turbos before, but now I can't live without one - so much so that I have already dumped my Cedia and plan to dump my Brio soon.
Old 15th May 2016, 01:26   #38
BHPian

Well i hope it comes in, i replaced my civic with the new city back in october and everyday i drive this car i miss my civic like anything. The TC engine would be a dream though i feel the NA is what will march into the indian dealerships.
Old 15th May 2016, 05:52   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

0-100 in 6.8 seconds, driving dynamics to match Mazda 3 and gadgets to rival hyundai comes at a price . You simply cant expect such a car to be priced below 20 lakhs anymore.

Honda targets the civic against the A3 in U.S. For that type of bang for buck, 20 lakh plus is more than acceptable.
In the Indian scenario - which cars are direct competition for the Civic? Octavia with its 1.8 TSi, 178hp and 250 NM sounds just right compared to the Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo with 174bhp and 216 Nm and mated to a CVT! I would expect pricing for the 1.5 turbo to be competing head on against the Octavia. A few lakhs more, and it goes into Superb territory!

If thats the case, bring it on! The new 10th generation Civic looks every bit a true Honda, unlike all the other models we have here made for the developing markets! Really looking forward to it.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th May 2016 at 05:56.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2016, 18:10   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Those interiors for starters. Besides, I expect the subsidy given to a sub 1.6 liter car to be passed on to the customer in the form of lower pricing. Let the 1.5 turbo version (if that ever lands here) be an affordable sporty JDM sedan, which is what the Civic was always meant to be. 20 lakh on-road would be more appropriate.
As far as I have heard , there has been no complaints about the interiors of the new civic. What makes you think its bad?

The affordable one would be the 2.0 n/a with lesser toys. The 1.5 n/a was released as a techno showcase with all the bells and whistles, so its bound to be priced at par with the Octavia and Jetta, both of which costs more than 20 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
In the Indian scenario - which cars are direct competition for the Civic? Octavia with its 1.8 TSi, 178hp and 250 NM sounds just right compared to the Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo with 174bhp and 216 Nm and mated to a CVT! I would expect pricing for the 1.5 turbo to be competing head on against the Octavia. A few lakhs more, and it goes into Superb territory!

If thats the case, bring it on! The new 10th generation Civic looks every bit a true Honda, unlike all the other models we have here made for the developing markets! Really looking forward to it.
Well whats the rate for a top end 1.8 tsi octavia or a jetta? Its above 20 lakhs, isn't it? In Bangalore I heard the prices were touching 25 lakhs.
So there you go 20 lakh plus onroad for the civic isn't that outrageous now is it?
Old 15th May 2016, 18:27   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I have heard , there has been no complaints about the interiors of the new civic. What makes you think its bad?
No complaints sure, but the quality is nothing to write home about and the Jazz-inspired design is pretty bland as well

Quote:
The affordable one would be the 2.0 n/a with lesser toys. The 1.5 n/a was released as a techno showcase with all the bells and whistles, so its bound to be priced at par with the Octavia and Jetta, both of which costs more than 20 lakhs
The government subsidy given to a sub 1.5 liter car ought to offset whatever extra tech has gone into the turbo version. Eg: Polo 1.6 mpi vs 1.2 tsi + DSG

Quote:
Well whats the rate for a top end 1.8 tsi octavia or a jetta? Its above 20 lakhs, isn't it? In Bangalore I heard the prices were touching 25 lakhs.
So there you go 20 lakh plus onroad for the civic isn't that outrageous now is it?
German cars have always been more expensive buddy cost of material, European labor laws and other factors have a huge role to play. Sorry but unless it is a type-R, I simply cannot swallow the idea of a Civic that costs more than 20 lakhs on-road. Oh and the new Octavia is also far larger than most D1 segment sedans, it is almost like a D2 segment sedan. Honda better swallow their pride and target realistic margins if they want to succeed in this segment.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 15th May 2016 at 18:31.
Old 15th May 2016, 18:49   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
20L on road?

I was talking ex showroom buddy. I would also queue up for a loan if a feature loaded Civic turbo CVT comes at 20L on road in Bangalore when BRV CVT itself is 15.16 L in its barebones V variant.
Old 15th May 2016, 19:05   #43
BHPian

Quote:
No complaints sure, but the quality is nothing to write home about and the Jazz-inspired design is pretty bland as well
I guess we can say the design of the interior a subjective thing.
I for one like the new civic's interior better than the the jetta's or octavia's. Tired of seeing the same old Polo dash again and again. Honestly I think Jetta's and Octavias dash looks like it belongs in 2009.

But as for quality, how can you possibly know the quality is bad? Have you sat in one? Are you now in U.S?

Quote:
The government subsidy given to a sub 1.5 liter car ought to offset whatever extra tech has gone into the turbo version. Eg: Polo 1.6 mpi vs 1.2 tsi + DSG
Yup, agree with you on that and the fact that all the radar guided gizmos will have to be scrapped means there is scope for good pricing.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2016, 20:35   #44
BHPian

I have owned a Honda Civic for quite a few years, and my experience has been mixed. While, off the factory floor, it came as a great product, the service experience has been iffy, to put it mildly. I had faced issues with even getting replacement wipers . Even the parts themselves had been expensive relative to Corolla parts (based on my colleagues' experiences, who bought the Toyota the same time I bought the Honda).

Net result, I have sold my Civic quite some time back, and the Corollas are still giving happy service....

It can be a great car for those who don't mind the relatively higher lifetime cost, iffy maintenance (unless service standards have improved) and don't drive long distances to feel the "experience and cost" very frequently.

Do keep in mind, that Honda has a lower threshold of pain. They discontinued the Civic at the sign of falling sales (while Corolla soldiered on). The resale values of Civics fell the day they announced that news. Their conviction on their brands, and commitment to a long lifetime for their core brands has also been proven to be doubtful.

As a ex-Honda owner, AND an ex-Innova owner, if I have to spend 23-24 L on a sedan again, I will go for the Corolla with my eyes closed, thank you
Old 16th May 2016, 00:13   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But as for quality, how can you possibly know the quality is bad? Have you sat in one? Are you now in U.S?
Haven't sat in it myself but one of my friends who studies in the US recently bought the 1.5 turbo. He had to say that the interior quality is leaps and bounds ahead of the old one but nothing special compared to the rest in its segment. I agree with you on the design aspect with VW but still feel Honda's dash design lacks any character whatsoever even if it is an over-used one like the VW/Skoda designs. He also tells me that it performs well but the steering lacks feel. He did however mention that it was loaded to the gills with gizmos and features. That's all I know so far but doesn't seem too special to me.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 16th May 2016 at 00:14.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed