Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2017, 23:39   #106
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic likely to return to India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
I wouldn't get too happy on Honda bringing the turbo to India.

In fact I'm pretty much willing to bet if they bring it to India, even the lowest trim might start around 15L+ in India. I even think the top of the line version will lack features that we get abroad and Honda will still end up pricing it around 19L

A colleague of mine drives a top of the line current gen non turbo Civic here in the UAE bought in Nov 2016 & the OTR price itself is pretty high around 90000 AED if I recall correctly.

Converting to INR even to get a basic idea of the positioning makes for quite a Sticker Shock!
That may be true, but 15-20L is pretty much the price bracket where this entire segment is at right now. 15 odd lakh would still be the starting price, turbo or NA engine notwithstanding. Besides, turbo petrol can't be so expensive that it jacks up the prices much. I'd say it would rather be good enough USP to sell the Civic in decent numbers.

Can finally look forward to something enticing enough to visit their showroom while getting the car serviced

Last edited by avisidhu : 27th January 2017 at 23:42.
Old 29th January 2017, 13:15   #107
Senior - BHPian

GTO has put up a post on another thread claiming that the Civic won't make it to India and Honda India doesn't have plans.
Old 29th January 2017, 20:53   #108
BHPian

Slightly off topic as I could not find a related thread. Mods: Please excuse and move it to the right place if needed.

We don't seem to have any news about the refresh / replacement for the Honda CR-V. The new CRV launched in the USA seems to be getting good reviews.

Does anyone have any information on when or if we can expect this new model to be launched in India anytime soon?
Old 31st January 2017, 11:25   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
GTO has put up a post on another thread claiming that the Civic won't make it to India and Honda India doesn't have plans.
The present-gen Civic is still in Honda's plans for an India launch, but this could be deferred to early 2018.

One of the reasons claimed for this is streamlining overseas production so that they can receive enough CKD units for our market.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 17:31   #110
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The present-gen Civic is still in Honda's plans for an India launch, but this could be deferred to early 2018.

One of the reasons claimed for this is streamlining overseas production so that they can receive enough CKD units for our market.
I also feel the same. We have one Civic AT about 6-1/2 yeqrs old and also a City about three years old. The difference is huge, between chalk and cheese. My son just exchanged his City AVN for my Civic and is already in love with it. Only one weakness, too soft a suspension for our roads, but the GTO cure of rubber spacers solved it very nicely.

It will come, buy may have a Hybrid as an option from day one. So it will takr some time. 2018 is a fair guess.
Old 15th February 2017, 14:06   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Today's TOI reports that the Civic is certainly on the cards for an India launch. 2018 could be a reasonable assumption IMO.

Link
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 20:23   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

The 10th-gen Civic, scheduled to have an Indian market launch soon, is expected to be offered with a 1.5-litre turbocharged petrol engine, and a 120hp 1.6-litre diesel engine.

Expected to be priced northwards of Rs 16 lakhs, the Civic is likely to be assembled from CKD units (with some localisation) imported from Honda Thailand.

Quote:
Honda claims that the new Civic uses the most sophisticated chassis in the nameplate’s history. An infusion of ultra high-strength steel has improved torsional rigidity by a massive 25 percent. And, if the last Civic we had in India is anything to go by, that means this one will surely be excellent to drive.
ACI
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 20:32   #113
BHPian

I am in if Civic gets launched.
I am sure, I would look for an sedan upgrade in next 3-4 years. Yeah, its a long period and complete horizon might change. But, Civic would always be in my short-list if it exists in market then

Prem.
Old 20th February 2017, 21:13   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Expected to be priced northwards of Rs 16 lakhs,
I suspect this could be ex-showroom Unless ofcourse they are bringing multiple engine options just to avoid sticker shock. Honda's always priced a notch above Toyota in the US, so I expect they'd do the same here. Given that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
I am in if Civic gets launched.
Prepare yourself for an OTR price of 24-25 L for the top end automatic.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 21:17   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I suspect this could be ex-showroom Unless ofcourse they are bringing multiple engine options just to avoid sticker shock. Honda's always priced a notch above Toyota in the US, so I expect they'd do the same here. Given that...

Prepare yourself for an OTR price of 24-25 L for the top end automatic.
I am sure, it is.
Looking at today's top end of Altis AT, I wouldn't be surprised if the bangalore OTR of Civic then roams around 25L.

Prem.
Old 20th February 2017, 21:42   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
I am sure, it is.
Looking at today's top end of Altis AT, I wouldn't be surprised if the bangalore OTR of Civic then roams around 25L.
Yes, Just for reference Corolla VL-AT Madras OTR price in January 2017 was 23.1 L (enquired for kicks ), am sure Bangalore's would be touching 23.5 considering the taxation.

Civic essentially is slotting in the gap between Corolla and Octavia. Precisely the slot Jetta vacated very recently!

Last edited by narayans80 : 20th February 2017 at 21:54.
Old 21st February 2017, 19:28   #117
BHPian

I think that Honda is trying to regain it's premium brand image. First was the hybrid Accord and now the prospective launch of Civic. I see the company being confused with it's market strategy now. Considering the impending launch of the WR-V, this just increases the number of products. I am not sure either WR-V or the new Civic is gonna enjoy much success in terms of sales number.

That brings me to the question: "What is Honda Cars India trying to achieve?"
govindremesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 20:27   #118

All online reports are expecting a launch between last quarter of this year and first quarter of next year. I wrote to Honda asking for the launch date but they neither confirmed nor denied. Corolla will have a facelift end of March, Octavia by June or July. I too expect price for top end Civic on road to be between 24-25L in chennai. Even Cruze may be launching the new model this year and it is sure to be priced higher than current model.

This segment has become really expensive! So we have C2 segment ending at 16L on road and D segment starting at around 20L on road. So, there are no sedans filling this slot?

To me this still is a market which if addressed could swing back customers from the crossovers/Indian SUVs in the same price band. Wonder if Honda will be considering this.
Old 21st February 2017, 20:47   #119

Good news for Honda fans like me. The Civic is my dream car and I am looking forward to Honda bringing it to India. Also glad that Honda seems to be realising that India is not a dumping ground for its low-priced, under-powered cars, a slew of which have been launched over the last few years. We are up there with the best, so give us your best products Honda!
Old 7th March 2017, 00:45   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
- The turbo petrol is a stonking performer. 170+ horses spooling from low in the rev band. Honda seems to have done a good job of nullifying the turbo lag.
Still hoping for a big 2.0 litre engine. Not a fan of blowers at all. Big part of the old civic's charm was the 1.8 litre engine. 'Lag' is lag even if nullified.

If it does come with the 2 litre engine (sold in the states), count me in as a customer.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed