Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2016, 06:29   #16
BHPian

re: Jaguar Land Rover's strange positioning in the Indian market

I’m intrigued by some of the comments here as Jaguar Land rover’s portfolio in India is identical to what they offer in North America/US specifically which remains one of the largest markets for JLR outside of China.

In spite of it’s over hyped so called turn around & sales success JLR has been steadily losing market share in US to the top three German rivals that is BMW/MB/Audi. Having said that I must also mention that JLR grew their overall global sales by approximately 5% last year. Their global volume still remains comparatively small at under half a million. BMW in 2015 sold close to 1.81 million units & M-B sold close to 1.8 million units. Such large numbers also gives the Germans massive economies of scale & that definitely helps in their ability to put forth a more competitive offering as it drives down their unit cost.

Jaguar was once a player in America's premium car market, albeit not a major one. In 2002, Jaguar sold 61,204 cars, one Jaguar for every 3.8 BMWs. In 2014, JLR sold one Jaguar for every 21.5 BMWs. Although one would like to think so however I believe prospective sports luxury/premium sedan buyers are decreasingly cross shoping between Jaguar & the Germans. Last year BMW 5 Series outsold Jaguar XF 9 to 1. In fact JLR’s total sales in US were less than 1% of the market. A super luxury brand such Maserati frequently outsells Jaguar in the US market.

I find Range Rover/Land Rover is JLR’s only saving grace although the volume is comparatively low as compared to the Germans.

As for pricing disparity between BMW/M-B/Audi comparative platforms please remember that JLR only assembles XF, XJ, Freelander 2 & Range Rover Evoque in India. Rest of their portfolio gets imported as CBUs thus attracting much higher levies up to the tune of 125% thus rendering them uncompetitive as compared to their German rivals most of which are locally assembled.

Presently, the BMW 1 Series, 3 Series, 3 Series Gran Turismo, 5 Series, 7 Series, X1, X3 and the X5 are locally produced/assembled at BMW Plant in Chennai. Mercedes-Benz India product portfolio comprises the locally produced S-Class, E-Class, C-Class, GL-Class and the M-Class.

Pricing strategies in addition to other considerations are also driven by product planners keeping in mind the production capacities, prospective buyers willingness to pay & the relative importance of a particular market.

To put thing into perspective JLR sold more than 94,000 vehicles in China last year. Their sales in India in the same year were barely 3,000 units.

JLR would rather put in a few more goodies at standard equipment in China & bolster their falling sales due to slow down in that particular market & still protect its bottom line rather than offer deep discounts in a relatively insignificant (at least for the foreseeable future) such as India & gain a volume of 500 vehicles, if that.

The only hope that I see in JLR’s portfolio is the Discovery Sport if they price/market it competitively & the newly launched XE to some extent. I have heard some suggestions that the discontinued Defender assembly line might be moved to India as it does not meet the Euro pedestrian safety norms & that might give JLR some incremental volume however how well Defender will appeal to a potential X3/X5/GLE/GLS/Q5/Q7 customer is a big question mark. The revised XF that will be launched in 2017 too holds some promise but at the end of the day Jaguar still does not have the street cred/brand pull that marques such as BMW/M-B/Audi command. This is what’s happened in markets all over the world & Indian premium/sports-luxury market is unlikely to prove any different.
Vikram Arya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 04:30   #17
BHPian

Another reason can be that indian luxury car market is already dominated by the german trio, if JLR prices their products in the same range then potential buyers won't find any USP and would buy any of the three germans, thus reducing JLR's market share even more. By commanding a premium, JLR projects itself as a more luxurious & exclusive brand compared to the german trio, making it its USP.
Debajyoti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 14:31   #18

When you see Jaguar prices in the UK, yes we are being taken for a ride in India!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/jaguar
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/jaguar
Old 24th May 2016, 12:04   #19
BHPian

Recently i test drove the Discovery Sport (top-end 75L On-road), GLE 250 (72L) and the X5 (77L after discount).
The discovery sport is a segment below these other two but still so expensive. It is tiny and underpowered even with the 190PS engine. It would have been good at 55-60L onroad for the top end model. GLE is good but i dont really trust the service center here. X5 is the most expensive but the Best to drive and a clear winner.

XE is also way too overpriced but is brilliant to drive. If JLR wants to get a good share of the luxury car market they will have to be more reasonable and price their cars well and bring in new models sooner. If you look at the 3 germans they bring in new cars to India soon after their international debut.
abhinavsureka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 12:36   #20
BHPian

JLR wants it's customers to believe that they are more premium than the German trio. Although their products tend to say something else.

With the F-Pace coming into the market soon, it won't set the charts on fire as it's quite expensive and the engine options are pathetic.
Old 24th May 2016, 14:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanuj_afc View Post
JLR wants it's customers to believe that they are more premium than the German trio. Although their products tend to say something else.

With the F-Pace coming into the market soon, it won't set the charts on fire as it's quite expensive and the engine options are pathetic.
I really think the engine options are not bad at all. The 3.0l diesel has over 300bhp and with 700 nm of torque and thats the best in the segment AFAIK. In the review by ACI they specifically say that the joy of driving is at its peak when you are behind the wheel of the f pace 3.0l . And the looks; to be frank, Nothing comes close to the f pace in its segment.
AB@TVMBHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 15:29   #22
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jaguar Land Rover's strange positioning in the Indian market

I took a look at an XE in Delhi airport yesterday. Lower dash plastics were average. However, the seating position is spot on. It might be a different story while driving but showroom appeal for the price might be a worry
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 18:28   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Jaguar Land Rover is ready to increase local assembling of some of it's other offerings to increase it's overall sales numbers by at least 25% in this fiscal year, compared to FY2015.

Quote:
The company is considering local assembly of sports utility vehicles Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, Discovery and the Jaguar F-Pace, which it launched on Thursday at ex-showroom price of Rs 68.4 lakh to Rs 1.12 crore in Delhi.

If you make cars in India, you are competitive. We already have five cars which are locally assembled, there are projects which are conducting to see how we can localise other models,” Rohit Suri, president of JLR India, said at the launch of F-Pace. “We are constantly looking at how we can make our products competitive that includes everything engine or other parts,” he said.

According to industry insiders, the company may start local assembly of F-Pace by importing as kits from second half of 2017 as the feasibility study has been positive. After posting 45% growth in the first quarter of this fiscal, JLR’s growth rate has come down but it’s still growing faster than the market. The company is eyeing sales of 3,500 to 4,000 vehicles this fiscal, people aware of its plans said.
ET
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 23:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Discovery Sport has a price cut of 2 Lakhs across the board for all variants here in TN. I still think it's expensive for what it offers though.

I really didn't enjoy it's ride quality over rough roads and JLR has to drop this 2 engine option for a particular model. Can you believe the Pure variant in Discover Sport get's only Halogens and a very inferior engine

I think the GLE has the best ride quality and Space in this segment. Didn't check out the X5 though.

A very funny thing was I test drove the new Superb and Discovery Sport back to back over the same rough roads and Highway today and I was just blown over by the Superb. Compare features and you might think which fool would ever look beyond a Superb, which is just amazing. Ok I know it's not apples to apples comparison but still the price that Discovery Sport commands is not justifiable.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 09:53   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Jaguar Land Rover is ready to increase local assembling of some of it's other offerings to increase it's overall sales numbers by at least 25% in this fiscal year, compared to FY2015.

The Range Rovers are just too overpriced in our market. I've been wanting to get the autobiography V8 Supercharged for a long time, but the price just doesn't justify it. It was around 2.4 cr ex showroom almost two years back.

Now it's almost 3 cr, which doesn't make sense at all because you can literally get two base trims of the Range Rover Sport. It'll be a good buy if they start local assembly and bring it down to under 2 cr.
Old 23rd October 2016, 13:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivjeet View Post
I've been wanting to get the autobiography V8 Supercharged for a long time, but the price just doesn't justify it. It was around 2.4 cr ex showroom almost two years back.

Now it's almost 3 cr.
I doubt any of the Range rovers are priced above 2 Cr ex-showroom other than the SVR today.
Old 23rd October 2016, 16:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
I doubt any of the Range rovers are priced above 2 Cr ex-showroom other than the SVR today.
Then you're not updated with the prices my friend. Just to clear your doubt, you can see the price list for Delhi w.e.f 01/07/2013.

I'm sure you'll now have a vague idea of the prices today.
Attached Thumbnails
Jaguar Land Rover's strange positioning in the Indian market-screen-shot-20161023-3.57.21-pm.png  

Shivjeet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 16:05   #28
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

You know. I went and sat in one of those Range Rover Vogue HSE's. One was for sale for some frightening price here at one of the Used car dealerships. So I went and sat in front.
It feels like one is in an impregnable fortress. Like a big BOAT!

Then I sat in the rear (keeping the driver seat positioned exactly as it was when I was sitting in it).

I was quite dumbfounded to see that it was rather cramped in the rear! For such a huge vehicle I was very unpleasantly surprised that it was nowhere near as roomy in the rear seat, as I had supposed it would be!

It was the first time I ve sat in the back of the Range Rover. Ive only sat in one once some years ago in the front passenger seat when a really well off friend (who owned that RR) was driving it.

Amazingly plush and extremely luxurious and all, but still, it was cramped.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 16:35   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Amazingly plush and extremely luxurious and all, but still, it was cramped.
Oh no. But don't worry, they've got the long wheelbase version as well and will be more than happy to charge over 3 cr for that

The L322 facelift had perfect pricing for what it offered. When I had enquired back then, the Vogue 4.4 TDV8 was 1.08 cr and the Autobiography 5.0 V8 SC was 1.20 cr.
Old 23rd October 2016, 17:42   #30
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
The cheaper Range Rover Sport V8 costed around Rs 2.14cr OTR, Mumbai more than 2yrs ago! Prices keep steadily increasing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks