Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2016, 12:22   #1
BHPian

Jaguar Land Rover's strange positioning in the Indian market

Firstly, this is my first post, so please forgive me if I make any mistakes and do let me know so that I can improve in the future.

Jaguar Land Rover has always had a cult following around the globe. JLR's cars are more driver's car than chauffeur driven. Jaguar Land Rover does have stiff competition with BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc. So where does it stand in the Indian automotive scene?

Consider the fact that when you walk into a JLR showroom, the cheapest product that you will find starts from 50L. the product being Jaguar XE(Pure) which is only available in petrol.No Diesel variant for India. But, you want a diesel. The basic option you will have is a Land Rover Discovery S variant (base variant) which is roughly around 60L. People who are not aware, let me tell you that the base variant does not come with climate control, no leather, no Sat Nav, no rear camera, no Panoramic sunroof.

But you want a sedan and it has to be a diesel. So, the basic car that you could get is a Jaguar XJ L which is a whopping 1.3cr. what about the XF you ask? Well, the company has decided to discontinue the product and will be bringing out the updated model later this year along with the F-Pace. So, if you still want the XF before the updated one is lauched, you could get it but it will be a 15MY product.

Jaguar has always known to be an enthusiast's car. The XE being a very powerful product is no different. But, no diesel option in a market where Diesel's outnumber petrol by a long way? The Jaguar XE has not made any impact on the market since it's launch. Mercedes C Class. BMW 3 series, Audi A4 outnumber in Jaguar XE in terms of sale.

Coming to Land Rover, if you walk into the showroom for a Discovery Sport, you will for sure get to see an Evoque standing somewhere. Evoque could make you behave like a kid in a candy store. After you see the Evoque, Discovery Sport would look plain jane. The Discovery Sport is very closely matched in terms of pricing to the Evoque with the Evoque being just a couple of lacs expensive , which was not the case with Freelander 2 which was considerably cheaper than the Evoque.

Is it me or does anyone else consider JLR products to be a tad bit overpriced and they do not have a proper knowledge of the market? Moderators, please merge if there is any existing posts.
tanuj_afc is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 13:51   #2
BHPian

re: Jaguar Land Rover's strange positioning in the Indian market

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanuj_afc View Post

Is it me or does anyone else consider JLR products to be a tad bit overpriced and they do not have a proper knowledge of the market? Moderators, please merge if there is any existing posts.
The Discovery sport is grossly overpriced I feel. The engine lacks punch and its just unbelievable that they have fabric seats in the base model. It even comes with Halogen lamps I think. They don't even have the 2 zone climate control in the base (not sure about this one though).

As far as the XE goes the base model has halogen lights and that will just make you feel average and at 47-48L you don't want to feel average.

If Jaguar would have taken out some other feature and given such basic features I would have atleast wanted to visit their showroom. A lot of us don't want the fancy tech (I can make do with most of the features) but you atleast want the basic features like leather seats and LED lamps or even Bi-xenon if you are paying insane amounts.

Give us 2 memory seats, give us average alloys, I don't mind. But there are some basic features which you would want when you pay 50L.

Jaguar has got the reading of our market totally wrong in terms of basic features, engine options (lack of diesel XE). With the brand value that they have they could easily be selling 3 times what they are.

Last edited by kartavya : 18th May 2016 at 13:53.
kartavya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 14:11   #3
BHPian

Yes. the base variant has fabric seats and has halogen lamps and the base model has manual single AC.

Continuing the overpricing issue, I forgot to mention that the upcoming XF will be 10L rupee more premium that the one which has been discontinued. That means the 15MY XF was approx 60-65L where as the upcoming model will be around 70-75L.

Talk about overpricing.

Last edited by tanuj_afc : 18th May 2016 at 14:19. Reason: grammatical mistake
tanuj_afc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 16:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

They definitely are over priced. And Jaguar India thinks they are more premium than BMW, Mercedes, and Audi and they try and convince the customers of the same. Their marketing strategy too is the same. And they use that to justify the small numbers that they do.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 17:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
They definitely are over priced. And Jaguar India thinks they are more premium than BMW, Mercedes, and Audi and they try and convince the customers of the same. Their marketing strategy too is the same. And they use that to justify the small numbers that they do.
I couldn't agree more. Realistically Jaguar's competition is Mercedes, Audi, BMW. But I don't know why they think they are more premium than these guys. JLR needs to get back on the drawing board if they want to be serious about the Indian market.
Old 18th May 2016, 22:32   #6
BHPian

How I wish JLR come across this thread. I even ended up writing an email to JLR in frustration when I really wanted to buy the XE and get a R-Sport package where they responded 'they can't import it officially', 'no news on any kind whether the kits will be launched or not. Ended up dropping the plan coz the car looks dud otherwise. Apart from this, no XF in the market yet considering its launched almost everywhere else. Really sad to see a company taken over by an India-based group takes India itself for granted
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 08:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
How I wish JLR come across this thread. I even ended up writing an email to JLR in frustration when I really wanted to buy the XE and get a R-Sport package where they responded 'they can't import it officially', 'no news on any kind whether the kits will be launched or not. Ended up dropping the plan coz the car looks dud otherwise. Apart from this, no XF in the market yet considering its launched almost everywhere else. Really sad to see a company taken over by an India-based group takes India itself for granted
The XE just has two variants right now (pure and portfolio). I don't think Jaguar has any plans to launch the XE with the R-Sport package. The next models that Jaguar will be launching now is the XF and F-Pace, which again, are very closely priced to each other. I don't know what is wrong with them and they plan to bring the XE diesel after they launch these two products.
Old 19th May 2016, 15:14   #8
BANNED

JLR has always positioned itself above the German trio.
When it comes to JLR, the first thing that comes to my mind is reliability, which is nowhere to be found in its products. Perhaps that's another reason why it's positioned above everything else so the faint of heart may stay away.

I just love watching Doug DeMuro's videos where he explains how buying warranty for his used Land Rover paid itself back within the first year of ownership. Anyone else seen that?
MaheshY1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 15:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
JLR has always positioned itself above the German trio.
When it comes to JLR, the first thing that comes to my mind is reliability, which is nowhere to be found in its products. Perhaps that's another reason why it's positioned above everything else so the faint of heart may stay away.

I just love watching Doug DeMuro's videos where he explains how buying warranty for his used Land Rover paid itself back within the first year of ownership. Anyone else seen that?
Absolutely true, JLR's reliability is nowhere to be seen. Please do share the link of Doug DeMuro's video, I would love to see it.
Old 19th May 2016, 15:49   #10

Quote:
Absolutely true, JLR's reliability is nowhere to be seen. Please do share the link of Doug DeMuro's video, I would love to see it.
here you so:

while you are at it you might as well want to see this:

digitalSpeed is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 16:07   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

JLR has been enjoying high demand for its products worldwide. So much so that its products are mostly over-booked. Thus they don't need any more sales. I feel India being their home of their parent company, they are just maintaining their presence. They are just sticking to the premium pricing which is typical of an aspirational product. I say from the numerous discussions where in people agree that those brands have got presence and pull at our hearts in the right way. See the links below for a few examples.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...ml#post3913498
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3901663

At the same time, people agree that their cars are highly overpriced, somewhat under-powered or lack performance and, are unreliable. And, yet people pine for it in some corner of their hearts. Here is where the premium pricing works. People who listen to their hearts (not their mind) and at the same time, can afford it too, buy it without thinking about the VFM factor.

Premium pricing also offers exclusivity to a certain extent. This again, is preferred by certain customers who want their ride to be unique.

PS: Most of the views presented above are mine. I haven't driven or traveled in any JLR car. Yet, I have interacted with quite a few owners and potential owners. I have had similar discussions with them, questioning their decisions.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 18:37   #12
BHPian

XE, 3 series, C class and A4 are in same class but XE has exclusivity thus the higher pricing. But for a little bit more anyone can buy 5 series, E class or the A6 , which are more exclusive and luxurious compared to their smaller siblings and also the XE. Isn't that a better decision? Just my 2 paisas.
OT: Globally the F-Pace is in the same category as X3 and Q5 but I have a feeling here in India it might be priced way above them, even close to the Porsche Macan maybe
Debajyoti is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 21:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Is it me or does anyone else consider JLR products to be a tad bit overpriced and they do not have a proper knowledge of the market?
All manufacturers have solid product and analytics teams that do thorough market research before launch and price semantics are decided. It becomes a matter of the requirement of presence in a country and the extent to which a manufacturer would go to sell a product. As far as pricing or rather over-pricing is concerned, it happens in all segments, and not just luxury cars. Case in hand: Innova Crysta. People would flock to an Innova to buy a long term reliable and peace of mind vehicle. On the other hand, people would buy a Jag or an Audi for feel-good and luxury factors. The fact that most Jags underwhelm under the hood is simply double whammy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
How I wish JLR come across this thread......Really sad to see a company taken over by an India-based group takes India itself for granted
It may not be as much about taking India for granted as it might be about branding and relevance of a given market to their bottom line. They bothered to setup a plant in India to manufacture XE, XF and XJ means they want to be in constant business here; however, it must not matter to them enough to price their products competitively.

Last edited by t2k4 : 19th May 2016 at 21:34.
t2k4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 23:01   #14
BHPian

F-Pace will be priced much higher than X3, I was willing to book it when picking the XJs itself but have now dropped the plans entirely. XF was expected to be CKD, hence the late launch I guess.

XE is a disappointment in terms of variant and price but hey its the best petrol in that segment and I quite enjoyed driving it, also a looker but I expected a better quality interior.
fre2bpowerless is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 00:18   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Extremely true! They try to turn the low sales number into a company's positive aspect imposing a snob value which the consumer can get by owning one. The XF is clearly in the E Class territory, whereas the XE is targeting C Class and the likes but as per the price points they are offered in is simply ridiculous. Moreover, the diesel engine offered in the XF simply doesn't deserves that premium it's sold at plus seeing the equipment list offered simply makes me sad. The German trio and Volvo are much better alternatives to JLR Products and are sanely priced too when compared to these folks!

Who would pay 48 Lakhs for a XE Pure which just has 150 bhp on tap and gets Halogen headlamps.

Last edited by YashD : 20th May 2016 at 00:19.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks