Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2016, 15:10   #226
BHPian

Re: NGT bans 10+ year old diesel vehicles in Kerala. EDIT: High Court stays ban

If this ban is effected across all major cities, my heart goes out for Tata Motors. They've had wretched luck with their new car launches recently.
First, they brought the Zica into the market, coincidentally the Zika virus outbreak took place and they had to redo their entire advertisement campaign to avoid negative publicity. They changed the name to Tiago and had to redo their publicity campaign from scratch with Tiago as the new name.

Now, next month, they have the Hexa lined up for launch, and perhaps it'll be banned already across all major cities of India even before its launch.
Hexa is an important product of Tata, billed to take on and make a dent in popularity of the ever successful XUV 500. Adding further insult to injury, even the Safari will be banned.

Not sure what Tata's strategy would be if this ban does come into place across all major cities.
Mahindra have already arranged a workaround with their new 1.99 L engine, it'll take a while for Tata to come up with something.

On a personal note, this ban has left me really sad and unhappy. I've always dreamed of owning an SUV since I first saw the safari on Indian roads during my childhood and school days(late 90's). Now, with god's grace, I've reached a position where in the near future, this dream can be turned into a reality (have firmly made up my mind on the XUV 500 for now). But with all these regulations and uncertainty around, I'm highly hesitant to make a move before things are made crystal clear.
greatgyan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 15:14   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The thing is neither of us can categorically state one way or other.
Without going into specifics, let's just say I can do that to an extent due to the nature of my job

Even with the big names in the EU, the trend is not to reduce displacement, but maintain a relaxed state of tune for the high capacity engines. I'm talking about buses and trucks. One particular manufacturer has gone from their sub-12L engines to 15L+, as they found among other things, the latter would be easier to conform to Euro-6 norms. And they also have strict fuel performance figures to meet, which means the newer engines are at par or better than the previous ones. So there goes the bigger-displacement-means-more-pollution argument out in the wind.

EDIT:
@RahulRao has provided a fine example here

Last edited by silversteed : 31st May 2016 at 15:16.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 16:02   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

NGT to hear diesel vehicle ban plea on July 9

The NGT Bench headed by Chairperson Swatanter Kumar directed the states to submit details about most polluted cities, vehicle density and population in their respective states. The matter will next come up for hearing on 11-12 July 2016.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...uly-9/52519731

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st May 2016 at 16:04.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 17:40   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
NGT to hear diesel vehicle ban plea on July 9

The NGT Bench headed by Chairperson Swatanter Kumar directed the states to submit details about most polluted cities, vehicle density and population in their respective states. The matter will next come up for hearing on 11-12 July 2016.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...uly-9/52519731
Banning diesel cars is a "senseless direction" and bereft of scientific merit, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said on Monday.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...rikar/52518487

Looks like everyone are trying their best to respond without contempt of court
chakky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 18:11   #230
BHPian

Just a query. If the verdict is that the ban should be lifted who will pay for the loss of business done to the Auto companies for 6 long months ?
Old 31st May 2016, 18:18   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Just a query. If the verdict is that the ban should be lifted who will pay for the loss of business done to the Auto companies for 6 long months ?
No one. Welcome to India. An NGO filed a PIL against an apartment complex where a senior colleague at work had booked a house. NGT promptly issued a stay. The issue was that the complex was in the vicinity of a lake. It took almost 12 months of legal battle in Bangalore HC to have the NGT stay vacated.

Who will compensate for the loss that buyers have suffered. No one. Buyers are relieved that judgement is in their favor, and that they can get on with their lives. I think Auto manufacturers too will be similarly relieved.
ajayclicks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 19:13   #232
BHPian

Two interesting points from today's NGT hearing, that I see in economic times:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/52522525.cms

1. Senior advocate A M Singhvi, appearing for Society of Indian Automobile Manufactures, opposed the idea of extending diesel ban to other metros and said diesel was not the only source of pollution.

"Sources of pollution are other than diesel vehicles as well. Other sources like dust and burning also contribute to the air pollution," Singhvi said.

To this the bench said,"In any case we have already said that there are primarily three sources of pollution, burning of waste and other materials, dust emission from other sources and vehicular pollution.

2. In contrast to the prior NGT order banning registration of all diesel vehicles, the Supreme Court on December 16 exempted small ones and specified that the diesel-run SUVs and cars having engine capacity beyond 2000 cc would not be registered in Delhi and National Capital Region.

Last edited by ajayclicks : 31st May 2016 at 19:18.
Old 31st May 2016, 19:42   #233
BHPian

Seems like a relief.

Quote:
The National Green Tribunal today said that there was no plan to extend the ban on diesel vehicles prevailing in the national capital and Kerala to other cities across the country.

The clarification came from the green panel which said that as of now it was not planning to extend such ban and it would first examine the data received from different states on pollution levels in various cities.

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...campaign=cppst
Quote:
"That is why we want every state to react. We want every state to give response on each aspect. Let that data come to us and then we will hear the matter in detail," the bench said.

The tribunal had earlier taken state governments to task for not taking a clear stand on pollution and vehicle density in major cities in their jurisdiction and directed them to produce the information failing which bailable warrants will be issued against chief secretaries.

Read more at:
This is exactly what should have been done in the beginning. Or knowing how things work in the government & related organizations, NGT wanted to let people know that they need to be taken seriously else would ban and make everyone tow their line.

In addition, i'd also recommend that NGT as well as other bodies should take opinion from public, industry experts along with the technical experts in the NGT panel, to avoid so much of confusion and heart burn.

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 31st May 2016 at 19:48.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 06:27   #234
BANNED

@smekad; One thing achieved by the NGT is to stop the lowest polluting cars in the world (namely Mercedes Blue) from coming to India. Let them go back to deciding what pollution standards we should have Euro IV, V , VI (not the watered down BS), US whatever, and leave it at that. Today our courts even want to decide when can a person take a loo break.
sgiitk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 09:31   #235
BHPian

Does the ban on ten year old Diesel's resume or has that been stayed as well?.

Kerala being a consumer state, it's going to be very very hard to implement it. How are they going to monitor all the vehicles from other states when they enter Kochi?. Seems very hard.

Another point is what about the pristinely and well maintained Diesel cars that ply around?. My heart goes out to those folks who've restored old Merc's to showroom condition. Seen many of them recently around Kochi.And ofcourse there are so many good Toyotas around as well. Some even bought cars from Delhi and got them reregistered here.
Really saddened by the recent Ban to be honest. I hope sense prevails and we have better rules like in many other developed nations.
VRPAI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 09:50   #236
BANNED

@VRPAI; Start with

i. Enforcing even BS-IV on commercial vehicles. I think right now they have to conform to only BS-II.

ii. Ensure fuels sold are not adulterated.

iii. Enforce BS standards on farm equipment, and order all 15 year old Tractors off the road/farms.
sgiitk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 09:40   #237
BHPian

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/52544660.cmshttp://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/52544660.cms

An interesting article on diesel cars and why a holistic approach is needed on the use of fossil fuels....

Last edited by chakky : 3rd June 2016 at 09:41.
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:31   #238
BHPian

Mercedes Benz says,India needs diesel technology.

To address pollution concerns in the long term, India will have to go back to and adopt diesel technology, German luxury car maker Mercedes Benz said on Thursday.

Read more at:

Last edited by commonman : 3rd June 2016 at 10:34.
Old 3rd June 2016, 13:58   #239
BHPian

Diesel vehicle ban: Auto makers' apex body questions NGT's ban at Kerala high court
Quote:
KOCHI: Auto makers' apex body Society of Indian Automobile Manufactures (SIAM) has approached the Kerala High Court seeking to lift the ban imposed by National Green Tribunal (NGT) on plying diesel vehicles over 10 years old and registration of new diesel vehicles over 2,000CC.

The petition filed by Atanu Ganguli, senior director of SIAM, alleged that the NGT's order of May 23 rdwas passed without any material being available before the tribunal to show that ambient air quality of the six 'cities' were above the prescribed norms and that pollution is caused.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/52558904.cms
Old 3rd June 2016, 14:07   #240
Senior - BHPian

Looks like this NGT ban and related news have not made much impact on car (especially Innova Crysta) buyers in Kerala . I spotted just 2 new Innova Crysta in Bangalore till last week. But already spotted around 12 new Innova Crysta in my hometown in Kerala within 3 days.

Last edited by Latheesh : 3rd June 2016 at 14:32.
Latheesh is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks