Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2016, 14:33   #256
BHPian

Re: NGT bans 10+ year old diesel vehicles in Kerala. EDIT: High Court stays ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivtho View Post
The engine is most likely the original engine but with a reduced stroke to bring the displacement within the new limits. No major mechanical changes are required for such a modification.
But still the engine should be put to test under real world driving conditions. Even if they keep their test mules running 24/7 I wont think it would suffice. There is something seriously fishy about NGT sleeping for the last 12 years and Mahindra coming up with the 1.99L in a trice and launching the verito electric.

Fuel Quality is a key point here but NGT is least bothered about loss caused by use of low quality fuel. IMHO, fuel should be made available in the first place.

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/mercedes-t...europe-1258899
--gKrish-- is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 13:25   #257
BHPian

Hello all, please excuse me if my query is inappropriate. I own and drive a 2001 model Qualis (private vehicle) all over Karnataka, Tamilnadu and Kerala. I drive to meet my dealers and many times all my family members enjoy the Kerala trip. Now i am confused and worried about this NGT order. Will i be able to drive in Kerala with my Qualis? Ahould i hold on to this great suv which is in great shape or scrap it ? My Qualis is KA reg and i stay in Mysore. Thanks!

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th June 2016 at 15:40. Reason: Post edited. Please ensure you start new sentences with a capital letter. Thanks.
Old 9th June 2016, 15:01   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmello View Post
hello all, please excuse me if my query is inappropriate. i own and drive 2001 model qualis ( private vehicle) all over Karnataka, Tamilnadu and Kerala. I drive to meet my dealers and many times all my family members enjoy the Kerala trip. Now i am confused and worried about this NGT order. Will i be able to drive in Kerala with my qualis? should i hold on to this great suv which is great shape or scrap it ? my qualis is KA reg and i stay in Mysore. thanks!
You should wait and watch.
The NGT order is not applicable for KA for now.

On a temporary basis, you should be able to visit any state, in my opinion.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 19:19   #259
BHPian

Quote:
hello all, please excuse me if my query is inappropriate. i own and drive 2001 model qualis ( private vehicle) all over Karnataka, Tamilnadu and Kerala. I drive to meet my dealers and many times all my family members enjoy the Kerala trip. Now i am confused and worried about this NGT order. Will i be able to drive in Kerala with my qualis? should i hold on to this great suv which is great shape or scrap it ? my qualis is KA reg and i stay in Mysore. thanks!
I guess the government has not actually started implementing this as there are still many cars,trucks and jeeps plying in Kochi without any issues.
And since your just visiting the state, I guess it wouldn't be an issue even if it is implemented
Old 9th June 2016, 20:13   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

As usual, unions have picked up the issue and announced a strike this month. They say that the rule needs to be reversed for good. While I support that no over night rules are created, cant support the stand this should never be implemented. A clean up is definitely needed, just that it should be well thought, data driven & be implemented in a fool proof manner.

Quote:
hello all, please excuse me if my query is inappropriate. i own and drive 2001 model qualis ( private vehicle) all over Karnataka, Tamilnadu and Kerala... Will i be able to drive in Kerala with my qualis? should i hold on to this great suv which is great shape or scrap it ? my qualis is KA reg and i stay in Mysore. thanks!
Please don't take any drastic step as of now as the rule is still not implemented. Even if the rule is implemented, its gonna be covering some major cities. I guess, if you don't touch those restricted places, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 9th June 2016, 23:20   #261
BHPian

http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...cle3474288.ece

Looks like Kerala government is also getting into action mode....
chakky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 14:47   #262
BHPian

Kerala HC stays the NGT order in its entirety. Observes it is a violation of natural justice. Also observes the NGT order was passed without studies or documents supporting it and should be reviewed. The stay is for the duration it takes for the court to complete arguments and pass judgement.

Malayalam links:
http://www.manoramaonline.com/news/j...-vehicles.html
http://www.mathrubhumi.com/news/kera...news-1.1121103

English:
http://english.manoramaonline.com/ne...-vehicles.html

Last edited by darklord : 10th June 2016 at 15:15.
darklord is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 15:06   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Kerala HC stays the NGT order in its entirety. Observes it is a violation of natural justice. Also observes the NGT order was passed without studies or documents supporting it and should be reviewed. The stay is for the duration it takes for the court to complete arguments and pass judgement.

Malayalam links:
http://www.manoramaonline.com/news/j...-vehicles.html

http://www.mathrubhumi.com/news/kera...news-1.1121103
Thats some good news finally. Hope they now do a proper revamp and work on how they will get pollution reduced in a gradual way and not by such random orders.
chakky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 09:00   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Now,Kerala Govt moves HC against curbs on diesel vehicles

The state government has filed a petition before the high court questioning the order of the National Green Tribunal (NGT) that banned the use of diesel vehicles older than 10 years from plying in six 'cities' in Kerala.

Quote:
Challenging the ban ordered by NGT Kochi circuit bench on May 23, the government argued that the ban seriously affects the state's interests. Unlike the neighbouring states, Kerala is a consumer state that relies on imports from other states for the day-to-day supplies. A sudden and complete ban on the use of old diesel vehicles and registration of new diesel vehicles above 2,000CC would result in steep rise in prices of essential commodities, government contended.
LEAF's appeal as well as the government's petition are expected to come up for admission hearing on Friday.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...icles/52789692

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th June 2016 at 09:02.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2016, 14:25   #265
BHPian

And the NGT starts this dance again

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/53262736.cms
Old 21st July 2016, 13:31   #266
BHPian

Not only that they have told that they wont allow 15 year old diesel vehicles to ply on the roads anymore or give NOC for it to run anywhere else. If that is the case, you can bid good bye to vehicles after 15 years. Hope they bring in a system to recycle all these vehicles. Its already a sad sight outside police stations where vehicles stand and rust due to police cases..

Hopefully they will revert this rule once the bharat stage 6 vehicles come in where pollution issues will be cleared, else it wont be viable to buy a vehicle if its value depreciates to 0 in 15 years and there is no policy on how to recycle it too...
chakky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 16:27   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgyan View Post
And the NGT starts this dance again

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/53262736.cms
The govt needs to step in man. vehicles are designed to last more than 15 years. Plus what is the point in telling manufacturers and buyers to meet emission norms and then confiscating vehicles that meet the govt prescribed emission norms.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 14:40   #268
BHPian

I have an 8 Year Old Innova (2008). Done 1.4 lacs km. Mechanically sound and in perfect running condition. No complaints what so ever. Would it make sense to sell the car now in view of the 10 year Ban? Or would playing the waiting game be a better option, considering I cant get a car this good unless I cough up another 12 lacs!!
Old 27th September 2016, 20:23   #269
Senior - BHPian

you can use it safely for 15 years no, so why worry now ?
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 22:42   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyanu28 View Post
I have an 8 Year Old Innova (2008). Done 1.4 lacs km. Mechanically sound and in perfect running condition. No complaints what so ever. Would it make sense to sell the car now in view of the 10 year Ban? Or would playing the waiting game be a better option, considering I cant get a car this good unless I cough up another 12 lacs!!
Please hold on. Legally, am sure everyone can run their cars for 15 years as the life tax is paid. Even if NGT brings such a ban, I believe a PIL will all be required to get it moved to 15 years.

They have relaxed the rules in Delhi itself, where this topic initiated and was hot. All what is required is to pay a 1% cess by the manufacturers. Even if NGT proposes the same in other cities, that'll be what the manufacturers opt. You have a good point; a well maintained car can go beyond 15+ years and it doesn't make sense to let go of something unnecessarily.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks